Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

FredMSloniker posted:

To address the spoiled text: I don't think spoilers are necessary. After all, we already know Arino does 24-hour challenges of specific games; that would suggest that he failed to complete those games on their particular shows. And he didn't even fail to complete Lemmings--he just had to back off on the difficulty a bit--so someone can still be surprised!

Yeah, we all know and can deduct those kinds of things. However, I think this is more about the new people who are scrolling through the OP without knowing anything about the show, trying to figure which episode they'd like to try first.

No point in spoiling the episode with their favorite game if we can prevent it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

StoryTime posted:

Yeah, we all know and can deduct those kinds of things. However, I think this is more about the new people who are scrolling through the OP without knowing anything about the show, trying to figure which episode they'd like to try first.

No point in spoiling the episode with their favorite game if we can prevent it.

So should we also spoiler-tag the 24-hour episodes?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

GuidoAnchovies posted:

So I guess I'm probably the only person that watched the Genpei episode and really wants to play the game because of it. Even with its arcade difficulty, it looks like a pretty ambitious game with a really cool setting. I wonder if the arcade version has the same continue system as the TG-16 port.

If you liked the look and setting and such, you'd do much better to check out Getsu Fuuma Den. It's a Famicon game by Konami and while still difficulty, it's much more of a "fair" game.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

FredMSloniker posted:

So should we also spoiler-tag the 24-hour episodes?

You have a good point there, there's definitely a line to be drawn. Having an OP full of black boxes would be stupid. I'm still thinking that using some spoiler tags in the main list of episodes would be prudent. It wouldn't be a major hassle to anyone involved.

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010

Potsticker posted:

If you liked the look and setting and such, you'd do much better to check out Getsu Fuuma Den. It's a Famicon game by Konami and while still difficulty, it's much more of a "fair" game.

The character from Getsu Fuma Den also appeared as a DLC character in Castlevania Harmony of Despair, which confused me when I went to find youtube links of the famicom game! But it makes sense as both games are made by Konami.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Jimmy Colorado posted:

The character from Getsu Fuma Den also appeared as a DLC character in Castlevania Harmony of Despair, which confused me when I went to find youtube links of the famicom game! But it makes sense as both games are made by Konami.

Hardcore Gaming 101 has some good info on the game as well: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/getsufuu/getsufuu.htm

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Put the "Revenge Challenge" part in spoilers. :v:

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
The main character from Getsu Fuma Den was a playable character in Konami Wai Wai World which was challenged by Arino in season 2.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Egregious posted:

I don't know what to make of the fact that The Gourmet quiz game piqued my interest a thousand times more than Genpei did.

I tried playing the fan-translation but mother of God it's a tough game. I got stuck somewhere right before the fishing trip. The options that pop up when the cop shows up still made it worth the effort.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

GuidoAnchovies posted:

So I guess I'm probably the only person that watched the Genpei episode and really wants to play the game because of it.

I went out and got Takeshi's Challenge and I have no desire to play this one. This just looks like a slog.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
On that Freshverse guy's stream right now, Arino is on some morning show dressed like Mr. Rogers and they're eating stuff. :aaa:

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Bocc Kob posted:

On that Freshverse guy's stream right now, Arino is on some morning show dressed like Mr. Rogers and they're eating stuff. :aaa:

Hah, they're learning all about Quebec City. Arino is impressed.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
A hotel made of ice?! :psyduck:

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

This reminded me; stripping down to virtually nothing with a bunch of guys and rubbing his naked body on ice is something Arino did long ago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYWJLwDCp7Q&t=5m08s

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

zari-gani posted:

This reminded me; stripping down to virtually nothing with a bunch of guys and rubbing his naked body on ice is something Arino did long ago...

:psyduck: What did I just watch?

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
That's not a memory anyone should have. :negative:

Aww, show ended.

lets be best friends okay
Jun 1, 2000

okay
I bet they show that to all the new AD's. You might have to hold a TV upside down, block a window, or beat Adventure Island, but it could be worse!

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"
Heh. I can see an AD gauntlet, where prospective ADs have to compete in events like:

Singing an octave too high
Drawing men's nipples
Cardigan fashion
Batting cages
Beat Takeshi impersonation
Getting groped by Tanii,,, any others?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

AggressivelyStupid posted:

:psyduck: What did I just watch?

Arino showing his manly spirit by attempting to crawl across the ice rink (mostly) naked and subsequently being aided by a man-bridge of course!

Here's part two, where he leap frogs naked over 100 naked men in the middle of a shopping street.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyGUUGpHtH8&t=1m00s

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

zari-gani posted:

Was that Hamaguchi on the mike?

Nevermind! It is a Yoiko video.

@zarigani
What is this 6 part series of Yoiko on Youtube about? I also see another 6 part youtube series on Yoiko.

joek0 fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 3, 2012

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

zari-gani posted:

Arino showing his manly spirit by attempting to crawl across the ice rink (mostly) naked and subsequently being aided by a man-bridge of course!

Here's part two, where he leap frogs naked over 100 naked men in the middle of a shopping street.

That last guy he leapfrogs is really familiar...

Is that the fat guy with the crazy shaped head that came in during one of the 24 hour specials?

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

AggressivelyStupid posted:

That last guy he leapfrogs is really familiar...

Is that the fat guy with the crazy shaped head that came in during one of the 24 hour specials?

That's totally that guy. Who else would have a hosed up neck like that?

Still not sure what that video is about though.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

zari-gani posted:

zari-gani posted:

GCCX Arino seems so tame compared to Yoiko Arino. :psyduck:

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary
I've been watching the freshverse stream pretty much nonstop since the GCCX live special. Arino was on some other show earlier. Here's two screenshots I took:

I don't really have any other context for them except that like half the shows I've seen this week it was focused around food.

e: and if I had read the thread I would have noticed that someone already mentioned that he was on! Oh well I have pictures :colbert:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

GidgetNomates posted:

I don't really have any other context for them except that like half the shows I've seen this week it was focused around food.

Welcome to Japanese TV. Nice pics.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I just started watching Freshverse not too long ago, and I don't really have an idea of what's going now (interviewing French/Italian models), but I will say one thing. I love Japanese commercials. I would buy the products they sell, just to encourage more ads.

Just saw Bruce Willis selling cars! Whoo!

Vlaphor fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 3, 2012

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Commercials are the best part. I love when fansub groups like gg leave in one or two. I'd watch the poo poo out of a channel that was just ads and didn't keep breaking to watch celebrities watch something else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD-_oLjmCGY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDUOmY80GhU

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary
This has been my favorite ad so far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKFwU6WT6XA

Between the singing voice, the vague attempt at dancing(???) and the name of the store, it couldn't get better.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Heran Bago posted:

Commercials are the best part. I love when fansub groups like gg leave in one or two. I'd watch the poo poo out of a channel that was just ads and didn't keep breaking to watch celebrities watch something else.

No lie, Morning Rescue was probably one of the best parts of Madoka Magica.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Silentman0 posted:

No lie, Morning Rescue was probably one of the best parts of Madoka Magica.

I read that J-list started selling MORNING LESCUE because of all the demand that Madoka Magica created.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Is it just me or did they not show the ending for that game? :psyduck:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Corridor posted:

There is no ending. You just keep going back to Kyoto.

Pangalin
Aug 11, 2007

Grown men are talking.

Corridor posted:

I think that's typical when they set a game aside as an option for the 24hr challenges.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

There is no ending. You just keep going back to Kyoto.
Really? I think Arino's psyche would have snapped in two if he ever found that out to be the case.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Mar 3, 2012

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Since some people here seem to enjoy Japanese ads, have some GOD HAND:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mp36fk_PhM

It also works as hilarious commentary on women in the Japanese culture and the gamer community, since these seem to be the subjects we are frequently discussing these days.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Corridor posted:

Pangalin posted:

I think that's typical when they set a game aside as an option for the 24hr challenges.

Yea, it's totally this. I thought the same at first and then reasoned that showing the ending being done by an AD with it being a potential challenge episode would be a bad idea. It's obvious Emoto and Ito both knew the game well so there's no doubt they could have shown it in another situation.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I somehow skipped over the Hokkaido Serial Murders episode. Arino's interactions with ADs are always the best.

At the end of the horrifying game moments segment he's asking why Inoue owns "girl pants"

"They're so short. They're girl pants"

"No they're mine :("

"Ah-perfect fit.. I'm sorry. :saddowns:"

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com

StoryTime posted:

Since some people here seem to enjoy Japanese ads, have some GOD HAND:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mp36fk_PhM

It also works as hilarious commentary on women in the Japanese culture and the gamer community, since these seem to be the subjects we are frequently discussing these days.

Just when I thought I couldn't love God Hand anymore. Thank you, kind sir.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
God Hand owns but it is also terrible.

Alas, again I am forced to feel conflicted about one of my favorite pastimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

GuidoAnchovies posted:

So I guess I'm probably the only person that watched the Genpei episode and really wants to play the game because of it. Even with its arcade difficulty, it looks like a pretty ambitious game with a really cool setting. I wonder if the arcade version has the same continue system as the TG-16 port.

Here's a full replay of the arcade version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxoJITf8zow

It seems... I dunno, a little less frantic than the PCE version? Hard to say when you're just going by the episode, anyway.

edit: I have literally no idea what happened at the very end of the game.

Shock Trooper fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Mar 3, 2012