Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007
Cheap as hell since 1971.

Y-Hat posted:

I gotta say that All That really isn't that good, with a couple exceptions (as I said earlier, "Cooking with Randy and Mandy" isn't that far off from gimmick Food Network chefs like Paula Deen and was unintentionally ahead of its time). Kenan and Kel is OK but not the awesome, life-changing show that some make it out to be.

To be fair, every sketch show is like that. People will remember the one great sketch, but they'll forget the 10 mediocre or bad ones that aired around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

IGN has posted a clip from one of the Teen Titans shorts.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

thelaughingman posted:

IGN has posted a clip from one of the Teen Titans shorts.

Ripley them a new one :laffo:

That's pretty hilarious. Can't wait to see the whole thing.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

So Cartoon Network may have cancelled Generator Rex. The reason for this there was going to be a hour of new episodes yesterday, but was replaced with some Lego ninja show. And now it's not listed to be on again for at lest a month. :(

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

dylan14 posted:

So Cartoon Network may have cancelled Generator Rex. The reason for this there was going to be a hour of new episodes yesterday, but was replaced with some Lego ninja show. And now it's not listed to be on again for at lest a month. :(

Cancelled? Probably not. The guy behind scheduling at Cartoon Network just happens to be Loki, god of mischief. It looks like they put it on hiatus since all the premiere dates have been removed from Wikipedia. Same thing that happened to Young Justice.

Of course if it is cancelled then goddamn it, I was really invested into that show's story. :(

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Have they finished airing season 1 of Young Justice yet?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Sockser posted:

Nope! Come back in a year or two!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just saw a commercial saying Green Lantern starts next Saturday morning. Kind of surprised they're doing that when usually they premier new shows in the evenings.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Don't Forget to watch the "Hall of Game Awards " tonight! :downs:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

muscles like this? posted:

Just saw a commercial saying Green Lantern starts next Saturday morning. Kind of surprised they're doing that when usually they premier new shows in the evenings.

Saturday morning?

Oh, gently caress that. Hopefully they put it up on their website for streaming.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
Yeah, DC Nation is going to be a Saturday Morning lineup. Which is kind of a shame, seeing as some of the stuff they're doing alongside it seems interesting (like shorts in various styles- Teen Titans shorts in the style of the series, Aardman shorts with Batman characters a la Creature Comforts, and a Batgirl/Supergirl/Wonder Girl thing from Lauren Faust).

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

mobo85 posted:

Yeah, DC Nation is going to be a Saturday Morning lineup. Which is kind of a shame, seeing as some of the stuff they're doing alongside it seems interesting (like shorts in various styles- Teen Titans shorts in the style of the series, Aardman shorts with Batman characters a la Creature Comforts, and a Batgirl/Supergirl/Wonder Girl thing from Lauren Faust).

I can't find it in my heart to be upset at a network trying to revive Saturday morning cartoons. Think of the poor children who have woken up on weekends to see nothing but news and infomercials :smith:

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

mobo85 posted:

There are also going to be some shorts about Amethyst, made by Teen titans character designer Brianne Drouhard.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Hatter106 posted:

I can't find it in my heart to be upset at a network trying to revive Saturday morning cartoons. Think of the poor children who have woken up on weekends to see nothing but news and infomercials :smith:

I've always thought the advent of Cartoon Network kinda killed them in the first place tbh. Good for them for trying but I place a decent amount of blame on CN for the demise of the Saturday AM cartoon.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!

Good Listener posted:

I've always thought the advent of Cartoon Network kinda killed them in the first place tbh. Good for them for trying but I place a decent amount of blame on CN for the demise of the Saturday AM cartoon.

Ouch, that hurts.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

SGT. Squeaks posted:

Ouch, that hurts.

Truth's a bitch, ainnit?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
It's not just CN's fault. There are more than half a dozen cable networks that air exclusively children's programming for at least 12 hours a day. That killed broadcast children's stuff - no need for networks to produce, and for affiliates to pony up for, shows that air in marginalized time slots when over half the households in the country have access to channels that broadcast to the same target demographic all day, 365 days a year.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Sockser posted:

Next week, apparently.

@danicamckellar
New episodes of #YoungJustice return (finally!) March 3rd. :) @DCComics

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Good Listener posted:

Why would you even want Saturday morning cartoons when you could have cartoons on at a decent hour with cable? Satam is dead, hooray.

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Here to spread frog love.
Fallen Rib

jscolon2.0 posted:

Next week, apparently.

@danicamckellar

Speaking of Young Justice, there's a new clip from an up-coming episode:

http://video.comicbookresources.com/television-clips/exclusive-young-justice-clip-klarion-the-witch-boy-takes-on-yj-in-misplaced/

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

JethroMcB posted:

It's not just CN's fault. There are more than half a dozen cable networks that air exclusively children's programming for at least 12 hours a day. That killed broadcast children's stuff - no need for networks to produce, and for affiliates to pony up for, shows that air in marginalized time slots when over half the households in the country have access to channels that broadcast to the same target demographic all day, 365 days a year.

Yea this is pretty much it. I don't mean to blame specifically CN but it's the biggest one I can think of. What with it being called the CARTOON Network and all :nyoron:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Good Listener posted:

Saturday morning cartoons were on the way out long before Cartoon Network rose to prominence.

jscolon2.0 posted:

Next week, apparently.

@danicamckellar

Why is Winnie Cooper twittering about cartoons?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

raditts posted:

Saturday morning cartoons were on the way out long before Cartoon Network rose to prominence.

Why is Winnie Cooper twittering about cartoons?

Because she voices Miss Martian.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
I don't know who was asking for a stereoscopic 3-D cartoon from the creator of Animaniacs and the former head of Marvel Comics about Pac-Man as a teenager, but we're getting one anyway.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Of all the things to try to bring back for a 21st century audience... loving Pac-Man?! It looks like a lower-budget Veggie Tales.

Also, this won't affect anyone without small children, but what the hell did they do to Nick Jr? They got rid of the moose and tried to web2.0 up the aesthetic or something. It looks like poo poo and there's not a single positive comment about it on their facebook page.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

mobo85 posted:

I don't know who was asking for a stereoscopic 3-D cartoon from the creator of Animaniacs and the former head of Marvel Comics about Pac-Man as a teenager, but we're getting one anyway.

They've been threatening to do that for like, two years. Probably used the Tales Localisation money to keep it afloat or something.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

raditts posted:

Then what the hell was I watching as a kid back in the 90s? :psyduck:

WB still has saturday morning cartoons, but it somehow merged with the 4kids programming block that Fox used to have, so it has Sonic X and Dragonball Z Kai, if you're into that, I guess.

Personally, I stopped watching cartoons on saturday mornings when Nickelodeon stopped airing Penguins off Madagascar at that time. :(

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

SlothfulCobra posted:

Then what the hell was I watching as a kid back in the 90s? :psyduck:

Key word being "prominence". Before 1996, Cartoon Network was little more than a repository for Hanna-Barbera's back catalog of lovely, forgotten cartoons, and it wasn't until '97-'98 that their better-known original shows started airing.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

WB still has saturday morning cartoons, but it somehow merged with the 4kids programming block that Fox used to have, so it has Sonic X and Dragonball Z Kai, if you're into that, I guess.

Merged? Dude, 4Kids practically owned WB Saturday mornings in the 2000's. With Fox it was just more official and blatant. That wasn't a merger; it was more like their lease was up on self-storage and they moved all their properties back into their home. The last good cartoon that aired on WB Saturday mornings was Spectacular Spider-Man and they willingly dumped season 2 (to make room for more anime and Flash cartoons).

I don't know when the last time it was you checked, but Saturday mornings on the CW have gotten much worse. It's called Toonzai now mainly because 90% of the broadcast is franchised, commercial-friendly anime (DBZ Kai, Sonic X, Yu-Gi-Oh, whatever flavor-of-the-month anime based on a game). They even air Yu-Gi-Oh reruns which are over a decade old. Also, to pad out time, every show is doubled in the line-up to be a full-hour of each. 'Did you enjoy this week's episode of Sonic X? No? Well, here is another one anyway!'

So the kids are all about anime now. At least, that's what I'm getting from this odd line-up.

Call me an old fart, but I really miss the Batman/Superman Adventures. Even Jackie Adventures at this point and I was never crazy about that show.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

FrostedButts posted:

So the kids are all about anime now. At least, that's what I'm getting from this odd line-up.

Call me an old fart, but I really miss the Batman/Superman Adventures. Even Jackie Adventures at this point and I was never crazy about that show.

I don't know, I think it's more "the networks are all about saving money" now. Re-running decade old anime like Yu-gi-oh and Sonic X has got to be crazy cheap. I think they're really just not trying. Back in the 90s/early 2000s, Cartoon Network/Nickelodeon/Disney didn't really have anything to match WB/Fox's kids lineup, and now they do. I mean, I think back to the 90s and compare it to today. CN has every DC hero + Pokemon, Disney (but only XD God why do you hate me so much, Walt?) has Marvel, and Nickelodeon owns the Power Rangers. So what's left? DBZ Kai's the only thing I see that I'm slightly surprised by (figured CN would snag that one up and try to bring about the second coming of Toonami)

CW's just airing the poo poo they still have the rights to as long as it's still profitable.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

raditts posted:

Also, this won't affect anyone without small children, but what the hell did they do to Nick Jr? They got rid of the moose and tried to web2.0 up the aesthetic or something. It looks like poo poo and there's not a single positive comment about it on their facebook page.

WHAT?! That oddly Radar-ish Moose is all that keeps me from going insane when I babysit my nieces during endless Wonder Pets marathons.

VIACOOOOOOOM! :doom:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

404GoonNotFound posted:

WHAT?! That oddly Radar-ish Moose is all that keeps me from going insane when I babysit my nieces during endless Wonder Pets marathons.

VIACOOOOOOOM! :doom:

Yep, starting yesterday he just went poof with no explanation. I liked his catchy songs :(

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007
Cheap as hell since 1971.

raditts posted:

Yep, starting yesterday he just went poof with no explanation. I liked his catchy songs :(

I, too, appreciated the moose, if only because the segments were generally well-done and kept the tone friendly. If Moose sounded familiar, it's because the actor who did his voice also does the voice of Stick Stickly.

I have a deep sinking feeling that Moose and Z went away not because of re-branding, but because some accountant figured out that they could save a few bucks by switching the segments between shows from animation to "some crap we can get the interns to throw together on Photoshop".

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So I just realized that The Aquabats! Super Show! starts tomorrow... but I still don't have The Hub.

:smithicide:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Face was the best Nick Jr. mascot. I wish they'd bring him back for 90's Are All That or something.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

404GoonNotFound posted:

So I just realized that The Aquabats! Super Show! starts tomorrow... but I still don't have The Hub.

:smithicide:

I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't have daily access to Batman TAS, Batman Beyond and Men in Black reruns. :smith:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

McSpanky posted:

I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't have daily access to Batman TAS, Batman Beyond and Men in Black reruns. :smith:

Don't forget classic Transformers and GI Joe at midnight, I live for that cheesy poo poo. I can't get into the new Transformers or GI Joe series though. Transformers is just such an ugly early-2000s looking CG show and it doesn't help that they used Bayformers as inspiration for the character designs, what with maskless Optimus and retarded mute Bumblebee and all. GI Joe is so close to being good, but it seems to take itself way more seriously than GI Joe ever should, and then there's also the matter of godawful character designs with that too.

I do want to see what this Aquabats show is like tomorrow though, it should be fun if it's even a fraction as bizarre as Yo Gabba Gabba is.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

raditts posted:

GI Joe is so close to being good, but it seems to take itself way more seriously than GI Joe ever should, and then there's also the matter of godawful character designs with that too.

The character designer actually died back in January 2011, before the first season was finished airing. That combined with the show being "oh hiatus" to prevent brand confusion/over saturation while Hasbro's busy promoting the second movie means we might not be getting a second season anytime soon, if ever.

Also, it's not The Aquabats, it's The Aquabats! Yes, the exclamation point is necessary.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

404GoonNotFound posted:

The character designer actually died back in January 2011, before the first season was finished airing. That combined with the show being "oh hiatus" to prevent brand confusion/over saturation while Hasbro's busy promoting the second movie means we might not be getting a second season anytime soon, if ever
That would make the post credits sealab 2021 like bit where G1 Duke dismisses it as a dream make a lot more sense.

If they can live up to even half of the promise of the idea of Cobra taking over America then it'll be worth it, I'd say.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Mar 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I watched DBZ Kai on Toonzai last year and it was so confusing. They would just about finish the battle with Vegeta and then next week they would be on Namek. As soon as Freeza is sent to another dimension, back to Radish's arrival.

I never got around to seeing much after Trunks showed up and it looks like I wont ever see it either. Of course, I could just go buy the whole series but :effort: