Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Forer posted:

I believe it's just the iPhone 3G, and after checking on iTunes and trying to update from 4.2.1 it keeps saying it's up to date so I hope that answers that 'cause I don't have a clue. I'd update if I could

Yeah, the iPhone 3G (or iPhone 2) stopped at 4.2.1. I'd still build a custom IPSW for it and Shift-Restore to it. I usually prefer pre-jailbroken installs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
Which program was it that will kick an iPhone into DFU? I'm in an endless crash->respring->crash loop and my home button doesn't work.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?

status posted:

Which program was it that will kick an iPhone into DFU? I'm in an endless crash->respring->crash loop and my home button doesn't work.

Is it TinyUmbrella?

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

status posted:

Have you tried SSHing into your iPhone to fix your problem? I've had varying amounts of success with that, sometimes narrowly avoiding the need for a full restore.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Have you tried SSHing into your iPhone to fix your problem? I've had varying amounts of success with that, sometimes narrowly avoiding the need for a full restore.

It doesn't stay up long enough to connect to WiFi, never mind long enough for me to find the IP. :/

edit;

HorseDickSandwich posted:

Is it TinyUmbrella?

Thanks, I'll try it out when I return home.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

couldcareless posted:

Weird problem.
Iphone 4 with 5.0.1 jailbroken, I've had this issue as long as I can remember but I usually just ignore it because it's more of a nuisance than something serious. When I press the sleep button to come out of sleep, the screen will flick on then back off immediately. If I immediately follow it up with another sleep button press, it turns on fine. I don't seem to get the same behavior from my home button.

I'm suspecting this might be Activator related, but I don't have the sleep button mapped to anything on Activator, so I can't be entirely sure.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Yea, I have the same problem, with the same hardware+OS. No idea what's causing it, though.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I am getting ready to upgrade my IOS to 5 as I have been on 4.2 for ages. I am going to restore to factory settings to start off clean, install the latest update from the latest ITunes version and restore from a backup. I looked on Cydia and the blobs all appear there at the top so I think I am covered there.

The only thing confusing me is the baseband. From the OP I understand that you need to preserve it if you want to unlock your phone. Is this only needed if you want to unlock your phone for an earlier IOS, or for the current and future IOS's also.? What I mean is, will I never be able to unlock the phone if I don't do this thing with the baseband?

I am asking because I am not going to change carrier anytime soon, but just in case I do (if a better deal or something comes up), how would I be able to use my phone? The other reason is if I want to sell the phone at some point, it will have to be unlocked.

I am just trying to deduce if I need to do it or not to begin with. I hope the question makes sense, and thanks.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

status posted:

It doesn't stay up long enough to connect to WiFi, never mind long enough for me to find the IP. :/

edit;

Thanks, I'll try it out when I return home.

Turns out you can still back up via iTunes during a crash->respring loop. Everything is fixed now :cool:

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.
Last time I had my ipad jailbroken I had folder enhancer and retina pad installed and legitimately purchased. Im trying to find the source to get them again but all I can see is a bunch of sources for cracked versions. Can anyone remember where to get them from?

Edit: never mind, I forgot I had to refresh to get the sources back

Double Edit: this is probably just me being daft but I cant seem to find any tweaks for adding widgets to the notifications centre or the lock screen for the ipad 2. Im sure such things must exist, but where might I find them?

Solly fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 4, 2012

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I don't know if this is dumb, but the SBSettings respring graphic bothered me. So I made some new ones.

For iPad 1/2/3: (not tested on 3, but the @2x graphic is 1536x2048)
http://xenomorph.net/data/ios/misc/SBSettings_iPad_Restart_0.01.zip

For iPhone/iPod Touch:
http://xenomorph.net/data/ios/misc/SBSettings_Restart_0.01.zip

A little info here and a screenshot:
http://xenomorph.net/apple/ios/jailbreak/apps/sbsettings/

It's not so much the text itself on the iPad, but the fact SBSettings tries to load a 320x480 image, scales it to 768x1024, but keeps the aspect - which left part of the background screen exposed.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Just jailbroke my phone (4 GSM) for the first time today, surprisingly quick and easy. So far I have to say it's worth it for Activator alone. Like many people I know with an iPhone 4, I sometimes have the issue with the home button not functioning properly. I set it so that a short hold of the volume up button is equivalent, and so far it's worked beautifully even when the regular home key is problematic.

I have one small question though. I downloaded the glasklart theme since I wanted to try out a different look that was still relatively tasteful. It didn't reskin the Music and Video icons, presumably since it was probably made when it was under one icon labeled iPod. Is there an easy way to reskin the icons?

Thauros fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Mar 5, 2012

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

henpod posted:

I am getting ready to upgrade my IOS to 5 as I have been on 4.2 for ages. I am going to restore to factory settings to start off clean, install the latest update from the latest ITunes version and restore from a backup. I looked on Cydia and the blobs all appear there at the top so I think I am covered there.

The only thing confusing me is the baseband. From the OP I understand that you need to preserve it if you want to unlock your phone. Is this only needed if you want to unlock your phone for an earlier IOS, or for the current and future IOS's also.? What I mean is, will I never be able to unlock the phone if I don't do this thing with the baseband?

I am asking because I am not going to change carrier anytime soon, but just in case I do (if a better deal or something comes up), how would I be able to use my phone? The other reason is if I want to sell the phone at some point, it will have to be unlocked.

I am just trying to deduce if I need to do it or not to begin with. I hope the question makes sense, and thanks.
You need to preserve it if you ever want to unlock it. The baseband is independent of the OS but newer versions update it. If you have an unlockable baseband absolutely preserve it because when it comes time to sell your phone it'll be worth it's weight in gold. (not literally gold though)

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Thauros posted:

Just jailbroke my phone (4 GSM) for the first time today, surprisingly quick and easy. So far I have to say it's worth it for Activator alone. Like many people I know with an iPhone 4, I sometimes have the issue with the home button not functioning properly. I set it so that a short hold of the volume up button is equivalent, and so far it's worked beautifully even when the regular home key is problematic.
Buy Zephyr. It's infinitely better than activator gestures - even the "swipe up from bottom" ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4MW840fkmw

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

jojoinnit posted:

You need to preserve it if you ever want to unlock it. The baseband is independent of the OS but newer versions update it. If you have an unlockable baseband absolutely preserve it because when it comes time to sell your phone it'll be worth it's weight in gold. (not literally gold though)

Thanks. Chances are I already hosed it last time I jailbroke, but maybe I didn't. Will do it this time anyway just in case.

My phone says my modem firmware is 02.10.04 which google says is still unlockable. Phew!

henpod fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 5, 2012

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
I'll ask again:

Anyone used a gevey device before?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

LaserWash posted:

I'll ask again:

Anyone used a gevey device before?

I'm *really* interested in this as well. Instead of paying $700 for an unlocked phone or roaming charges, I can just buy a $50 piece of Chinese lead.

OK, with 5.1 coming out, what do I need to load to prevent any/all my devices from nagging me about the update or installing the update when I'm not looking?

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 6, 2012

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

I'm *really* interested in this as well. Instead of paying $700 for an unlocked phone or roaming charges, I can just buy a $50 piece of Chinese lead.

OK, with 5.1 coming out, what do I need to load to prevent any/all my devices from nagging me about the update or installing the update when I'm not looking?

BadgeClear is pretty much all you need, if I remember correctly.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Trying to Google what will happen didn't give me any hard info. I read some post from someone saying a delta update installed just fine, even when his iPhone was jailbroken.

The most logical things I read said the update just fails (with no details).
I'm guessing it works like this:
1) Update is detected, badge is displayed.
2) Update is downloaded.
3) During install, a scan of /Applications gives an unknown response, update fails.
4) Update is detected, badge is displayed.

That BadgeClear program looks horrible. I don't want to hide notifications for important mail and SMS, and the only reason I can think of to hide App Store badges is because your device is full of pirated apps. Plus, you have to run it manually.

noOTA badge on Cydia says it hides just the Settings badge.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Been having some trouble with the keyboard on my iPhone the last day or two. It only happens on certain screens, most notably the Spotlight search and BiteSMS' quick reply, but the keyboard appears either slightly higher or slightly lower than it should.

Haven't remembered to take a screenshot any time it's too low.

I haven't installed any new packages for a while so I'm not sure what's causes the keyboard to go out of whack. Tried a reboot but no luck.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

Xenomorph posted:

Trying to Google what will happen didn't give me any hard info. I read some post from someone saying a delta update installed just fine, even when his iPhone was jailbroken.

The most logical things I read said the update just fails (with no details).
I'm guessing it works like this:
1) Update is detected, badge is displayed.
2) Update is downloaded.
3) During install, a scan of /Applications gives an unknown response, update fails.
4) Update is detected, badge is displayed.

That BadgeClear program looks horrible. I don't want to hide notifications for important mail and SMS, and the only reason I can think of to hide App Store badges is because your device is full of pirated apps. Plus, you have to run it manually.

noOTA badge on Cydia says it hides just the Settings badge.

Or we could stop the problem at its root. Who wants to get crazy?

Recently I've become familiar with the iOS Launch Daemons. Launch daemons are various daemons controlled by the launchd process in iOS. All of which are loaded into the launchd process during boot-up of your iDevice based on the specifications of their respective .plist file in the /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/ directory. To get a list of the launch daemons currently being managed by launchd on your device, you can execute this command in terminal: launchctl list

So, now that we know what these launch daemons are, how does this knowledge help us? Well, I found a source outlining the various daemons that are optional, including a few related to Over-the-Air updates.

Optional Launch Daemons With Descriptions

I've personally deleted all of these pesky optional daemons, and noticed a decent increase in performance and battery life for the past couple of weeks. One of the more quantifiable improvements would be to the Zephyr "slide-up" animation when closing an app or opening the switcher. It used to be choppy at times, but now it's silky smooth every time, all the time, baby!

If you want to delete these files, :siren: do so at your own risk! :siren: I've had great results while using iOS 5.0.1 on my iPhone 4, but your mileage may vary. You may want to make sure you've backed up your device's valuables before attempting this, and backing up the LaunchDaemons directory itself isn't a bad idea, though you could always get a copy of someone else's folder if you really need to. It's worth noting that it did take much longer than usual for my phone to bootup the first time after deleting these files. But after that it was par for the course.

Now if you'll excuse me, saying "launch" that many times has reminded me of lunch. I need to get some food.

code:
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.appsupport.cplogd.plist
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.apsd.tcpdump.en0.plist
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.apsd.tcpdump.pdp_ip0.plist
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.aslmanager.plist
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.certui.relay.plist
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.chud.chum.plist
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.chud.pilotfish.plist
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.crash_mover.plist
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.CrashHouseKeeping.plist
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DumpBasebandCrash.plist
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DumpPanic.plist
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.marcoagent.plist
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mobile.softwareupdated.plist
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.OTACrashCopier.plist
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.OTATaskingAgent.plist
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.powerlog.plist
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.sharktrace.plist
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.softwareupdateservicesd.plist
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.Springboard.SetupHelper.plist
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.syslogd.plist
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.ReportCrash.*

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 7, 2012

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
What do you guys use for bluetooth sharing? I'm on iOS 5. I really don't want to manually enter all my contacts from my CDMA phone.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

:siren: Thread temporarily closed for a special Apple event! Please head over here to follow along. We'll return as soon as the event's over. Thank you! :siren:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Anybody tried an OTA update yet? I'm wondering if it's just going to totally gently caress up jailbreaks or what.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

tuyop posted:

Anybody tried an OTA update yet? I'm wondering if it's just going to totally gently caress up jailbreaks or what.

Upgrading to 5.1 will most definitely remove the jailbreak, and if you're on the 4S iPhone, you probably won't be able to downgrade again. I believe older devices can downgrade if they've saved their SHSH blobs, but I wouldn't count on it.

So basically, don't upgrade unless you don't mind waiting for 5.1 to be jailbroken.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

in_cahoots posted:

Upgrading to 5.1 will most definitely remove the jailbreak, and if you're on the 4S iPhone, you probably won't be able to downgrade again. I believe older devices can downgrade if they've saved their SHSH blobs, but I wouldn't count on it.

So basically, don't upgrade unless you don't mind waiting for 5.1 to be jailbroken.

Oh. :( I was hoping that, since it would be an OTA update it would just leave the JB stuff intact.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

in_cahoots posted:

You can only downgrade to 4.x.x if you have the blobs saved. You can not go back to 5.0 and you will not be able to go back to 5.0.1 after the signing window closes (soon).

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

tuyop posted:

Oh. :( I was hoping that, since it would be an OTA update it would just leave the JB stuff intact.

It may be behind the scenes, but it's still a major point upgrade. They don't list it in the changelogs obviously, but one of the 'bug fixes' for all major (and minor) point upgrades is a removal of the jailbreak and a closure of the exploit.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Welp. I got 8 notifications in App Store about updates for my Apple apps.

iMovie now requires 5.1, and iWork apps (Pages, etc) now require 5.1 as well.

Apple is still signing 9A406 and 9A405 if you haven't updated your iPhone 4S to 5.0.1 yet. This is probably your last chance. Forever.

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 7, 2012

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.
Does anyone know of a tweak that will let music continue to play if you open another app with audio? Its one of the most annoying things about ios for me.

Also, stating the obvious probably, but if you havent backed up you shsh yet then download iSHSHit and back it up now

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.

Xenomorph posted:

Apple is still signing 9A406 and 9A405 if you haven't updated your iPhone 4S to 5.0.1 yet. This is probably your last chance. Forever.

Is there a 5.1 feature those apps require or is this simply Apple pushing an upgrade?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Xenomorph posted:

Is iPhoto an iWork app? It needs 5.1 as well. Here's hoping a 5.1 faker hits cydia soon.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

King Nothing posted:

Is there a 5.1 feature those apps require or is this simply Apple pushing an upgrade?

I would definitely say the latter.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

King Nothing posted:

Just forcing an upgrade.

iPhoto just showed up, and it requires 5.1 as well. :/

Honestly, I'm not doing anything that *requires* a jailbreak... I don't think. Customization is kinda fun, and Barrel is hella sweet. I travel a bit, and the WiFi hotspot functionality of MyWi is something I've used a lot.

Without a jailbreak, I'd have to do USB tethering or gently caress with SOCKS proxy apps and poo poo. Stuff that *requires* me to use a computer. I could switch to the tethering plan when I travel, but I'd give up my Unlimited plan...

MachinTrucChose
Jun 25, 2009

Xenomorph posted:

gently caress me, I knew I waited too long to get an iPhone 4S. I've been planning to do it since I heard iOS 5 was jailbroken. Only went to the phone shops today, and I blew off the purchase until tomorrow.

If I buy one tomorrow from the apple store, how would I update it to 5.0.1 (if it's at an older version)? If I open iTunes and click Update, wouldn't that download 5.1?

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
So I just updated and jailbroke to 5.01 with Redsnow on my iphone 4.

I now have no bars on my signal display, it is permanently on one bar although it obviously should be more or fluctuate at least.

Some googling found people with similar problems but no one really put forward a good fix. Have any of you guys experience this?

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

henpod posted:

So I just updated and jailbroke to 5.01 with Redsnow on my iphone 4.

I now have no bars on my signal display, it is permanently on one bar although it obviously should be more or fluctuate at least.

Some googling found people with similar problems but no one really put forward a good fix. Have any of you guys experience this?
Are you using an older baseband? If so you'll have to install ultrasnow to fix the bar display even if you don't need the unlock for your sim card.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

Nill posted:

Are you using an older baseband? If so you'll have to install ultrasnow to fix the bar display even if you don't need the unlock for your sim card.

Yeah, using an older baseband. What's the best way to go about installing ultrasnow? Is it going to mess with my current jailbreak or anything?

Thanks for your help :)

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

henpod posted:

Yeah, using an older baseband. What's the best way to go about installing ultrasnow? Is it going to mess with my current jailbreak or anything?

Thanks for your help :)

You can install ultrasn0w from Cydia easily. However, be aware, it breaks visual voicemail and MMS. The display of one bar is a graphical glitch, not an actual signal problem. If you can handle not being freaked out by seeing it that way, there's absolutely no reason to install ultrasn0w.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
iOS 5.1 now jailbroken with reds0w.

Old Bootrom 3GS: Untethered
New Bootrom 3GS & iPhone 4: Tethered
A5 devices and newer: Not yet (of course)

iBooks is broken again.

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/18906290309/march-mayhem

---

Also, has anyone changed their version number to run the new "iOS 5.1+ only" apps?

Info here:
http://justindaigle.com/blog/?p=215

I changed /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist to read 5.1 instead of 5.0.1, and the App Store allowed me to download all the updates.

Multi-edit: The new "5.1 only" Pages just loaded fine on 5.0.1., even after putting my build back at 5.0.1.

Omega-edit: Just bought the 5.1+ iPhoto on my 4S running 5.0.1 untethered. I haven't ran it or iMovie yet to see if it really *requires* some function of 5.1 (they are still downloading).

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
I'm still very, very new at this. I've a got a 4S bought on 2/1/12, it's been Jailbroken pretty much since day one. I've backed up my SHSH blobs, and am ready for whatever this next step is. I'm just not sure what all of these details mean still.

e: I do understand that I can't upgrade though, so at least there's that.

• Locked thread