Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I lived in Miami when I bought mine from Philly. If you're going to save several thousand dollars a plane ticket only costs a couple hundred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Owen Wilsons Nose posted:

I was wondering if its practical to add a turbo(aftermarket or factory) to a car that doesn't have one

don't even think about considering that.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
Will 2005 STi struts and springs bolt up to a 2002 Sedan? Can I use the 02's camber bolts?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Lord Gaga posted:

Will 2005 STi struts and springs bolt up to a 2002 Sedan?

no

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
You ruin my life. Theres a set of springs and shocks from an 05 STi on eBay currently bidding for $200 + shipping ($85). So if someone has an 05 WRX and wants a cheap upgrade, go nuts.

EDIT: If I didnt have the Vobra project and if I didnt already feel I am ruining my WRX's daily driver ness with modzzzz I would have bought those Koni inserts already. Such a drat good deal.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Doesn't matter what year wrx you have, they won't work. 05-07 sti struts only fit on an 05-07 sti because of the bigger 5x114 hubs and uprights.

jamal fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Mar 3, 2012

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Wrar posted:

I lived in Miami when I bought mine from Philly. If you're going to save several thousand dollars a plane ticket only costs a couple hundred.

Seriously.
If you think this will be easier than a 1000mi road trip, you're insane.
I'm always amazed a people who just give up when the car they really, really want isn't in the area, but then, I happily went to Utah to buy my car.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

jamal posted:

don't even think about considering that.

chrisgt posted:

It's cheaper and easier to get a car that already has a turbo.
doing a swap will result in nothing more than a hacked up car with no value and more money invested.

nm posted:

Seriously.
If you think this will be easier than a 1000mi road trip, you're insane.

Lord Gaga posted:

Keep an eye out on NASIOC and craigslist in the orlando area. I see quite a few get listed on those two places. I am seeing them more and more often. When I bought mine I had to drive to Miami from Orlando to get a decent deal.

Alright cool. I understand completely. I've swapped engines in Toyota's and Honda's before, but this will be my first Subaru, and I was just unsure if it was worth doing to a modern car.

I will expand my search area. I have $15k cash to spend. I would prefer to buy something outright instead of financing a lot. I don't have "bad" credit, just not a lot, and I don't think its fair that I will most likely be rear end-raped with 17% interest.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
$15k is sti money

EDIT: I did your work for you

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/col/cto/2878773052.html
http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/ctd/2863619779.html
http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/2866794062.html
http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/2811940765.html
http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/cto/2846174563.html
http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/2879150182.html
http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto/2810934019.html
http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto/2838358532.html
http://valdosta.craigslist.org/cto/2838900594.html

Lord Gaga fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 3, 2012

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I live in the Orlando area now, I'll kick tires on STi's for you for a beverage and a meal.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
People tend to drive those old STIs until they're on the verge of engine failure, make sure you have 5k in a the bank for a new motor. Get a compression test if you can.. although most people won't agree to this.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

blargle posted:

People tend to drive those old STIs until they're on the verge of engine failure, make sure you have 5k in a the bank for a new motor. Get a compression test if you can.. although most people won't agree to this.

If they don't agree to allow you to have the car you are considering purchasing looked over by a mechanic, they're insane. If you have any doubts about a car, always have it looked over.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Agreed, but at least here in the northeast the cars are in such demand that they'll just laugh and sell to someone else. I had 7 people fighting over my old 2.5RS.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I just got a free Perrin short ram intake. Yay! But it doesn't have the filter oil and stuff. . Can I use the cleaning and oil kit from k&n to clean and re oil the foam filter, or do I need to buy the magic Perrin kit?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Poopsocks posted:

New wheels, tires were starting to go, and as per everything on this car I only get to buy new stuff when something goes bad (Awesome wife)

17x8 Enkie EDR9's.

Project for this weekend will be putting a matte black wrap around that god awful chrome strip on the back, and dip spraying the badges black.

Sup Enkei bro, I have the same wheels, except 16x7 as my winter setup. Not that it has actually snowed this winter.

It is making me seriously consider getting black wheels for my summer wheels too though. Love the look of black wheels on my DGM car.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Getting warmer out, and I'm pretty torn between 17x8+48 235/45 and 17x9+42 255/40 for a second set of wheels. The 9" wheel looks better, but a stage 2 WRX probably doesn't need that much tire. The 255/40 tire is also a full centimeter shorter than the stock tire, which might look funny as I only have a slight drop over stock. The 17x8s don't look as nice, but I could always relegate them to winter wheel duty.. something you can't do with the 17x9s.

SpellEdge
Sep 14, 2007
Atk:13 Add: Don't Act

Just sent some funds your way jamal, thanks for mentioning the deal! I just need to decide on springs, rce blacks or yellows? I'm assuming blacks are the way to go if it's mostly a dd with limited track time...
I already have 1/4" saggy butt spacers if needed, going to order the tic strut spacers and I'm considering group n top hats.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

toplitzin posted:

I just got a free Perrin short ram intake. Yay!

Won't you need a tune for it?

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Also going to send jamal some money for shocks. Got under the car (02 wrx) to see what was there, as I am currently getting some clunking.

Are these strut bodies still good? The major rust at the top is going to get cut off.

Im betting the clunking is the garbage struts. I couldnt' find anything else loose.

I guess I need a steering rack bellows and also my front brakes were looking pretty worn, though only on one side.

I want to get some sti springs to go with the shocks. The car is going to be mostly dd, and the rce blacks sound too stiff. I found someone who would sell me 04 tophats for $50. Is that reasonable? I will probably end up buying new sti springs from ebay or similar as all the guys with used stuff want 200+, and it looks like I can get new for just a bit more.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

yeah looks like most of it's going to get cut off. The rest I would say do some sanding and re-painting and they'll look like new.

That torn boot is easy to fix, but you do have to unscrew the outer tie rod completely from the steering rack, to slide the new one one, so mark it/count turns to make sure it goes back where it is.

RCE black and yellow springs are REALLY similar. Yellows are slightly lower, but the way the car rides and drives is going to be about the same either way. I have the black springs. The ride is fairly stiff but I blame that more on my sti struts and all the bushings over the springs.

edit:

Just cleaned out my distributor of all their 02-07 front konis. they are expecting more sometime around the 16th. still plenty available for the 08+ and 05-09 legacy.

jamal fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 4, 2012

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Sockington posted:

Won't you need a tune for it?

Open source.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
I have a 2003 Forester XS, and my check engine light is on. The last time it came on, I took it to the mechanic, he pulled the codes, told me it was the catalytic converter. He charged me $60, and said he would return it if I got the work done through him. I didn't have the money to get it replaced, so I left it, and about a month later, the light went out (it still came on during start up, so I know it's not a fuse or anything).

Now it's back on, and I suspect it's the same issue. Rather than pay another sixty bucks to confirm it, I was thinking of picking up something like this and then just using free software on my laptop.

Does anyone see any issues with this plan?

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

EKDS5k posted:

I have a 2003 Forester XS, and my check engine light is on. The last time it came on, I took it to the mechanic, he pulled the codes, told me it was the catalytic converter. He charged me $60, and said he would return it if I got the work done through him. I didn't have the money to get it replaced, so I left it, and about a month later, the light went out (it still came on during start up, so I know it's not a fuse or anything).

Now it's back on, and I suspect it's the same issue. Rather than pay another sixty bucks to confirm it, I was thinking of picking up something like this and then just using free software on my laptop.

Does anyone see any issues with this plan?

I've you've got an Android phone this would be a great alternative http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3465830

Read down a few posts about the android app and bluetooth reader.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Just go to Autozone / o'reillys. They'll let you use their reader for free.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Falco posted:

I've you've got an Android phone this would be a great alternative http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3465830

Read down a few posts about the android app and bluetooth reader.

Ordered! Bonus that amazon isn't some website out of Hong Kong that I've never heard of.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Just go to Autozone / o'reillys. They'll let you use their reader for free.

Ideally I would like to do the work myself, and then if it comes on again, not have to drive halfway across the city to use theirs.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
So...aftermarket blowoff valve for a 2012 STi...any thoughts?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Flyinglemur posted:

So...aftermarket blowoff valve for a 2012 STi...any thoughts?

No.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

toplitzin posted:

No.

Can you expound? I really know pretty much nothing about this and am genuinely curious.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
So, I was just quoted 4 hours to swap coilovers, pre-assembled with top hats (both have top hats installed). No alignment or corner balancing. (05 LGT)
That seems high to me? I swear it was more like 2 hours.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
I did that in my 1-car garage with the scissor jack and zero experience in about that long so: bad.

BobTheFerret
Nov 10, 2003
Angry for coins

Flyinglemur posted:

Can you expound? I really know pretty much nothing about this and am genuinely curious.

The STi uses the mass of air traveling into the cylinders to determine fueling (Mass Air Flow or MAF-based air monitoring). A blow-off valve that vents into the atmosphere (as opposed to the OEM bypass air valve that recirculates that air back into the intake directly) will result in improper fueling whenever an aftermarket BOV vents, which isn't great for the engine, and will cause your car to go into limp mode if it isn't re-tuned for a BOV.

If you just want the obnoxious sound, removing the OEM intake and replacing it with an aftermarket intake without a silencer will produce a very similar sound to a blow-off valve (if you do this, the car must absolutely be retuned or remapped - there are only 1 or two exceptions on the market, and they aren't really worth the money). There is no reason to have an aftermarket blow-off valve (and plenty of good reasons not to), and the OEM bypass valve can be "modified" (crushed) to support over 20 psi, with aftermarket recirculating options for much higher boost levels.

Also, ask yourself why you want to spend 300+ dollars installing and tuning your car to use what amounts to an obnoxious noisemaker that does nothing for your power output. If your answer is "I'm installing a very large turbocharger and am no longer using any of the OEM boost control and air metering methods," go hog wild. If it isn't? Seriously spend some time reading about and assessing your goals for your car. People will make fun of you for a blow off valve, and unless the car really needs it (very, very unlikely), you probably deserve every bit of it :)

BobTheFerret fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 7, 2012

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Scrambles posted:

I did that in my 1-car garage with the scissor jack and zero experience in about that long so: bad.
I seem to recall that the shop that had done this before hadn't done it on an LGT, quoted me 4 hours, did the work, can out after 2 hours and were like "that was way too easy."
(They only charged 2 hours)

Unfortunately, even if I wasn't a mechanical moron, I can't do work at my apartment.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

BobTheFerret posted:

:words:

Thank you. This is exactly the level of explanation that I need. As previously stated, I know poo poo-all about cars (but am trying to learn about mine) and have heard "that noise" and figured there was an 80% chance that I didn't need that but wasn't sure if it would help. I'm certainly going to get on the remapping aspect no matter what else I do or don't do to it, but I thought I would wait a little longer to do that while breaking in the engine (or does that not matter?) than 2800 miles.

I like the obnoxious sound but I don't want to have that sound if there is no improvement in performance. If I could get both by adding a larger turbocharger, then that is something to consider in the future I suppose(?).

Again, thanks for the help. I know I'm full of dumb questions but I like how patient you guys are with the slow kid here. :hurr:

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
You can also check out the NASIOC blow-off valve faq: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1602235

It goes on at great length about this issue.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Flyinglemur posted:

I like the obnoxious sound but I don't want to have that sound if there is no improvement in performance. If I could get both by adding a larger turbocharger, then that is something to consider in the future I suppose(?).

Get a new intake. I have the Cobb SF with the air box which kinda makes it a CAI. Sounds like a symphony under there. Whooshes and pffffs galore.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Jamal, are you able to get the AVO TMIC for 08+ WRX?

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

kylej posted:

Get a new intake. I have the Cobb SF with the air box which kinda makes it a CAI. Sounds like a symphony under there. Whooshes and pffffs galore.

Thanks...I will certainly look into this.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

nm posted:

So, I was just quoted 4 hours to swap coilovers, pre-assembled with top hats (both have top hats installed). No alignment or corner balancing. (05 LGT)
That seems high to me? I swear it was more like 2 hours.

too much. $250-300 max. I want to say pm vroompa bro! that was common before the apollo guy opened his shop. Honestly though they can do that for you and shouldn't be able to gently caress anything up.

BobTheFerret posted:

There is no reason to have an aftermarket blow-off or bypass valve unless you're making over 20 psi.

we didn't even use a BOV at 38psi. But yeah, if you get to the point where it is leaking at high boost, replace it with another that still recirculates. Actually, if you stick a stock metal one in a vice and give it a couple of turns they'll hold another couple psi.

blargle posted:

Jamal, are you able to get the AVO TMIC for 08+ WRX?

yes. The perrin is similar and I get a better deal on it (but about a $30 difference).

jamal fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 5, 2012

NuclearFusi0n
Apr 16, 2003
Uhhhhhmmmmmm
Stripped the threaded hole that the toothed idler bolt goes in to. Luckily it's on the water pump housing. Should I bother with a thread repair or just replace the water pump? And if it's new pump time, is it worth it to go OEM at $110ish or autozone's "duralast" for $60?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

jamal posted:

too much. $250-300 max. I want to say pm vroompa bro! that was common before the apollo guy opened his shop. Honestly though they can do that for you and shouldn't be able to gently caress anything up.
Ok.

This was Cobb. I'm not completely sure they understood that everything was together, I may call and clarify.

Who is the best alignment/corner balance shop in socal?
I'm willing to drive for it.

----
I have a possible oil leak from the rear of the passenger head. Think I've had it for a while, but it was hard to tell because the inner CV boot blew up twice last year (one was installed wrong), and I have a PS rack leak from the passenger boot. Wooo.

jamal posted:

yes. The perrin is similar and I get a better deal on it (but about a $30 difference).
How do they fit? I know that for LGTs, the Perrin has a reputation for having fit issues v. the AVO.

nm fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 5, 2012