Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Elendil004 posted:

No like this only not drawn in mspaint.

Ahh, okay, I was like "Waaaaait a minute, that sounds familiar..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.

Tumbleweed Chingada posted:

So I'm trying to construct a (somewhat) life size gladius out of lego. The blade is made out of 4X8 plates, reinforced with other plates (4X10s, 4X12s, and various 2X## long plates). I haven't made the point yet, but I have plenty of pieces to make it. My real question is how to connect the blade to a hilt without it being a major weak point. Any ideas would be very helpful.

I remember building a 2-3 foot shortsword out of plates. It turned out pretty sturdy. One thing that can help is to think of the build as all one piece instead of smaller pieces to join. The handle and blade should be as close to one piece as possible, and the hilt can be built around them where they join, since it doesn't require as much reinforcement. Durable swords are built the same way, with a handle that is basically the tang of the blade wrapped in wire, leather, wood, bone, or sharkskin.

Basically start with something like this, then build the detail of the handle wrapping and hilt over/around it. Obviously, long plates should overlap each other as much as possible to make a laminate-like pattern for extra strength.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

That seems really obvious to me now and I don't know why I didn't think of it. Thanks for the help!

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary
So someone made Tank Girl's tank in Lego. It moves.

More photos

Wonder how much the parts would cost...I want to build this so much.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

GidgetNomates posted:

So someone made Tank Girl's tank in Lego. It moves.

More photos

Wonder how much the parts would cost...I want to build this so much.

This is rad as hell. In the gallery theres a complete list of the parts used so I guess you could put that into bricklink? Doesn't seem to have the actual instructions though.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:

Rare Collectable posted:

This is rad as hell. In the gallery theres a complete list of the parts used so I guess you could put that into bricklink? Doesn't seem to have the actual instructions though.

Oh forgot to link this, it has the LDD file: http://build.mahjqa.com/

I guess I will have to sit down and check to see what parts I already have sometime. This would be rad as gently caress to have around. If I was going to pour my money into buying individual parts for something it'd be this.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
Got a coupon for 20% off my total purchase this Sunday at Big Lots here in Orange County, I guess it goes out to everyone who signs up for their newsletter. Thought I'd give everyone a heads up.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Came across this on my internet travels today, want to do this so badly

http://lavonardo.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/lego-carcassonne.jpg

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Captain Duvel posted:

Came across this on my internet travels today, want to do this so badly

http://lavonardo.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/lego-carcassonne.jpg

That is awesome! But how the heck would one draw tiles without cheating through feeling them out? Or easily store it?

(Stop over-thinking it, ireladd, just enjoy it!)

Oh man, you could have the dragon from the expansion be the dinosaur guy from series 5 mini-figs. :)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ireladd posted:

That is awesome! But how the heck would one draw tiles without cheating through feeling them out? Or easily store it?

Technic powered Carcassonne tile randomizer/dispenser, naturally.

Those jagged slot edges look like more trouble than they're worth though.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Have I mentioned how much I love the dinosaurs?

Triceratops-Based Mobile Sniper Platform

Not much more than a big-rear end energy rifle, a power supply, and a comfortable chair.

The comfortable chair raises to easily twice this height and can rotate 360 degrees horizontally / tilt many degrees vertically without making the sharpshooter too sick.

A (slightly) better shot of the rifle.

My only regret is that I didn't have that piece under the chair in anything but blue. And, as always, this one was made almost entirely of pieces recycled from the others. drat most of my collection still being in my parents' attic...

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

John Carstairs posted:

DINOSAURS!

Pages ago I was complaining about a lack of dino mocs. please don't hesitate to continue posting these.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Picked up two bags of mixed technic pieces from a used toy store for 20 euros, they contained most of the pieces for this (8436), and this 8453. One of the better deals I have found, I should be able to buy the missing parts for 5-10 euros or just use the pieces for mocs.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:

ireladd posted:

That is awesome! But how the heck would one draw tiles without cheating through feeling them out?

Some of us have a little thing called MORALS :colbert:

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Pyroclastic posted:

Reminds me of me!

That was the bulk of my new collection after two months.

What are the black and green sets behind the spider, and that white walker thing with the orange cockpit? MOC's or regular sets?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Mars Mission

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

John Carstairs posted:

drat most of my collection still being in my parents' attic...

They sold those at a yard sale and you know it! :twisted:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I got Creationary and played it with the family, it was pretty fun. I will agree that adding more bricks to the game will probably make it even more fun, so I'll see about doing that. There seems to not be enough Hard cards, I could easily use running into clues we've already done very fast if we play anymore.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Bluemillion posted:

They sold those at a yard sale and you know it! :twisted:

This is true. It's exactly what happened to my original collection. :(

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

GidgetNomates posted:

Some of us have a little thing called MORALS :colbert:

My fellow players once stacked a tower five pieces high just to snipe me off this wonderful little chunk of land I was peacefully farming. I gave up on morals that day and play armed with vitriol and hate.

Lord Ryan
Nov 10, 2011
So I tired of trying to keep up and the pictures. I tried to do a video but I suck at that too. Here it is anyways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5t47_B68q8

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I want to know which one of you guys made this twitter bot: https://twitter.com/!/LEGOBrandBot

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
Has anyone done much with these little guys? How tightly does the clip hold? I'm looking at them as a potential problem solver, but that little notch makes me think that it won't grip as tightly as its 1x1 cousin. Have a progress pic in return for advice

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet

afflictionwisp posted:

That is just fantastic.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

afflictionwisp posted:

Has anyone done much with these little guys? How tightly does the clip hold? I'm looking at them as a potential problem solver, but that little notch makes me think that it won't grip as tightly as its 1x1 cousin. Have a progress pic in return for advice

I would say they grip just as well. It's really a very useful piece.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Torael_7 posted:

This is true. It's exactly what happened to my original collection. :(

"But you weren't playing with them anymore!" :unsmigghh:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The 3rd level (kits 7, 8 and 9) of Lego MBA was revealed. The theme is modular building and story-telling, it seems.

The Kits 2-6 Subscription was $70 for 947 pieces, and the Kits 7-9 Subscription is $60 for 632 pieces.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The Kits 2-6 Subscription was $70 for 947 pieces, and the Kits 7-9 Subscription is $60 for 632 pieces.

That is a ridiculous price.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
What gets me is how dull the sets look. I can't imagine being a kid and waiting 2 months for a set, building it, and thinking "welp.. my bridge is done". And what the hell is the final set? A rock?

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

PriorMarcus posted:

That is a ridiculous price.

Isn't 10 cents/piece pretty standard for retail prices?

But yeah I'm not exactly thrilled about ~The Dark Lair~

Testro
May 2, 2009
I quite like the look of that - although it doesn't look like it's going to be launched in the UK, alas.

I am doing my best not to splurge on Lego's double VIP sale. I'm close to losing the battle and ordering.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Captain Invictus posted:

Mars Mission

Ohhhh, right right right. It always slips my mind and then I see the trans-orange pieces and think "man, those would make for some sick Dutch Space Civilization sets".

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What gets me is how dull the sets look. I can't imagine being a kid and waiting 2 months for a set, building it, and thinking "welp.. my bridge is done". And what the hell is the final set? A rock?

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Bluemillion posted:

"But you weren't playing with them anymore!" :unsmigghh:

Of course I wasn't. I was at college. :negative:

That's okay, I have tons more now than I ever had before. :unsmith:

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Torael_7 posted:

Ditto - just organized/cleaned them up and I have like three big tubs full.

And yet... thinking about what I've lost...

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Saint Sputnik posted:

Ditto - just organized/cleaned them up and I have like three big tubs full.

And yet... thinking about what I've lost...

Back in september I bought what had to come out to be at least a hundred pounds of bulk lego. Sorting that much lego is a pain, which means I'm still at it. Down to one tub, at least.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
If it isn't broken, fix it till it is.

Torael_7 posted:

I actually did get my Lego collection from my parents after having not touched them for 10 years. Turns out, my memory of my collection was much, much larger than it really was. They all fit, still mostly assembled, into just three paper ream boxes with little to no organization.

Just looking at the couple of modular houses I have and the 8043 Excavator alone puts my old collection to shame. But then again, I now have M-Tron, Ice Planet, and old fashion Pirate mini-figs and parts to play with now.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
My beautiful and talented wife picked up the Town Hall on Friday and the Sydney Opera House for herself. Just finished up the Town Hall today, and she finished the Opera House last night.

The Opera House is a pretty good Architecture set - the "pedestal" of the building is solidly-built, and the final product looks a great deal like the actual building, making good use of the "shell" pieces. The only parts my wife had a hard time with were the way the pedestal attached to two turntable pieces to attach them to the base at an angle, and the ease at which the top half of the vertical hinges popped out of the shell pieces when attaching them. But it didn't feel as fragile as the White House in the end.

The Town Hall is another fantastic modular building. My son convinced my wife to pick it up out-of-series, even though I don't yet have the Pet Shop, and from what I've seen, I think that this is probably the more fulfilling build. There's some great techniques used for the main entrance and skylight, and it made good use of some new pieces to build the upper crown molding on the building (basically, pieces fit through some 1x2x3 panels with arches cut through them upside-down). It's not the most challenging modular building to construct, and I'm not wild about the "gingerbread" brown used prominently in the model, but it ends up looking pretty impressive. The only part I was a little disappointed in was the elevator - the way the mechanism for moving it attaches to the building inhibits the stability of the left wall. The only other way would be rope-and-pulley though, I suppose, and from my own experiments with that, it's difficult to do right.

However, its purchase does present one problem. I have no idea where I'm going to put the thing. Guess I need to go get another shelf and move the London Bridge away from the other modulars.

Blue Moonlight fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 4, 2012

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

And what the hell is the final set? A rock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
To follow up on the Bionical talk of a few days ago, how do the current Hero Factory and DC Heroes stuff? Is it exactly the same parts outside of the unique character pieces? Could I make something comparable to all that cool stuff with them?

Thought the prices represented pretty good value compared to most of the Lego range.