Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Sage hates anything that moves or makes noise. Anything. :colbert: She scoots silently from the room like a streak of shadow if something falls down, too. Ozzie's derp rear end knows no fear. However, vacuum cleaners are the devil and must be battled fiercely. Video of this exists, and needs to be posted later.

Also, much thanks to whatever mod changed the thread title for me :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

i want to lock it all up in my pocket it's my bar of chocolate
We're about to get Sunday spayed (finally) and I was just wondering-- is there a big difference between doing it laprascopically vs. regular? We're going to be doing the gastropexy at the same time. It's about $1100 for the regular way of surgery, and $1500 for the laprascopic... is it worth the extra money?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

laprascopic has smaller holes and generally heals up a little faster. It's really just up to you if you wanna pay $400 extra for that.

Yell at them repeatedly about holding her head up while she's unconcious because Sunday is so drat cute and drat it, don't break her while they fix her. :argh:

But I'm glad to see you're doing gastropexy! :)

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Skizzles posted:

I dropped by my shelter today to deliver delicious donuts to the employees (if you ever have a spare moment to do this, do it, it makes their day). Of course I perused the dog kennels, and I came upon this dog:

She got adopted, btw. :3:

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

laprascopic has smaller holes and generally heals up a little faster. It's really just up to you if you wanna pay $400 extra for that.

Yell at them repeatedly about holding her head up while she's unconcious because Sunday is so drat cute and drat it, don't break her while they fix her. :argh:

But I'm glad to see you're doing gastropexy! :)

Oh I know, I'm super paranoid about that and all the other little things they tell you to look out for like the temperature of the table or whatever... I'm terrified for my baby to go under the knife!

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?
Brains optional, it seems.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

"Why do I put up with her :smith: "

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
^^^ Okay that is the best picture from that set. :3:

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I think my lazy Daisy counts for this thread. She's a 3 year old Black and Tan colored Bloodhound.

I call this one " The puddle of lips"

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
Only half way through the thread but I can't wait to add to it, so heeeerreeeee's Guster:

A tiny pup! 3.5 months.

Said 3.5 old Gus w/ my wife.

Flash forward to one year old Dane!

A year and a half maybe?

This past Spring.

This past Halloween.

A distinguished Dane deserves a distinguished cap.

As a bonus: Dane in repose pictures!

Ok I have tons more but I'll stop the photobomb here for now. He is technically "brindle-quin" in color: one parent was brindle and the other harlequin. And, much like earlier posts, at least 1 in 10 people that meet him will ask if he's a dalmatian :psyduck:.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Boru posted:

He is technically "brindle-quin" in color: one parent was brindle and the other harlequin.

That doesn't have anything to do with what he is. Otherwise, danes from blue/black breedings would be bluacks, harlequin/blue breedings would be bluelequins or what have you. Brindle-quin is just a way of saying the pup is a mismark, but who gives a poo poo if you aren't going to show and breed? He looks like an awesome dog.

He's a really cute blue merle with crazy mismark brindle patterns on some of his splotches (could I see more of that? I've only ever seen one pup from a brindle/harlequin breeding and there was no marking like that). But drat, that puppy face is freakin' adorable. :3: And he looks so happy about his frisbee.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

That doesn't have anything to do with what he is. Otherwise, danes from blue/black breedings would be bluacks, harlequin/blue breedings would be bluelequins or what have you. Brindle-quin is just a way of saying the pup is a mismark, but who gives a poo poo if you aren't going to show and breed? He looks like an awesome dog.

He's a really cute blue merle with crazy mismark brindle patterns on some of his splotches (could I see more of that? I've only ever seen one pup from a brindle/harlequin breeding and there was no marking like that). But drat, that puppy face is freakin' adorable. :3: And he looks so happy about his frisbee.

Yeah I guess that's a good point. I never really thought about the whole "gene pool" thing and just went with the most "hurf" reason as to why he looks literally half harlequin/ half brindle.

His colors are pretty unique. He had two sisters at the breeder who's markings were much less distinct! Here are two more pictures where you can see his brindle patches a bit better (both from when he was around 1).

We like to call his coat "Rocky Road." :3:

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

I don't know if this is a color or not but I'd call him a Brindle Merle, since he doesn't have the white of a Harlequin, and he'd be a blue merle if his patches were black. He's gorgeous, I love him!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

The problem with advertising mismarked dogs is the same problem with advertising dogs like jackachis or labradoodles. For instance, this person intentionally breeds mismarked dogs and what does she do? http://kissmycocoa.com/Prices.html She jacks up the price. That's where I have a problem with it. These people aren't trying to breed "chocolate" danes to get them color pure so they can produce a new strain and get the registries to accept it (like folks did with the mantle coloration, for instance). They're doing it for profit, selling mismarked dogs with god knows what genetics as "rare" and laughing all the way to the bank because they've found a way to make "mismarked dog" sound cutesy.

Even the great dane club of colorado has this on their faq page:

"3) There are several unethical breeders that charge a higher fee for “unusual” or “rare” colors – rest assured, a “Fawnequin, “ or a “Red Merle,” or a “Piebald” is NOT something desirable in a Great Dane. In fact, it is a clear demonstration that the breeder disregards the breed standard, and should be a MAJOR red flag for you as a consumer."

Basically, it's the sign of an unethical breeder because they're laughing off color code breeding, they're laughing at the dog's standards and they're more worried about cash from the litter than the dog breed improving. On the other hand if you're not looking for a conformation show pup, a mismarked pup is just as good as a "properly" marked pup because you aren't looking for a judge to stare at your dog and declare him or her pretty enough to compete anyway. Just, even if they have full registration through AKC (or your local kennel club) you shouldn't be paying full price for them. Same with merles, too. A brindle pup and a brindle pup with white splotches all over the place shouldn't be sold for the same price from the same litter if the breeder is an ethical breeder. You also probably won't see a full registration on the brindle pup with the white splotches, but the pup could do agility or obedience competition or hunting dog competitions or whatever.

:ohdear: I worry I sound spergy or mean or something with all this. As a disclaimer, can I say I really love merle dogs and think they're gorgeous and wish there was a way to reproduce that blue and black pattern without the genetics issue or the historical cullings or all that terrible stuff? Because really, I really do like the pattern, and a lot of the mismarked patterns (I'd love to see a breeding between harlequins, mantles and brindles to the point of making zebra-y looking danes, for instance) but it's irresponsible to breed them intentionally. And I worry that fancy names for mismarked patterns just kinda encourages it.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:ohdear: I worry I sound spergy or mean or something with all this.

Nah, I totally get where you're coming from, and I felt the same way (even though I am not that knowledgeable about danes). I know how you feel, I worry I come off sounding like a nit-picky snob about dog things all the time, but... argh. :smith: It's like that double merle dane I posted earlier, some moron probably thought it was totally cool to breed for double merles and sell them at hiked up prices, and as a result she had to suffer with deafness, plus she wound up in a high-kill shelter. It just sucks, and so I think it's made us bitter and critical.

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 3, 2012

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:ohdear: I worry I sound spergy or mean or something with all this. As a disclaimer, can I say I really love merle dogs and think they're gorgeous and wish there was a way to reproduce that blue and black pattern without the genetics issue or the historical cullings or all that terrible stuff? Because really, I really do like the pattern, and a lot of the mismarked patterns (I'd love to see a breeding between harlequins, mantles and brindles to the point of making zebra-y looking danes, for instance) but it's irresponsible to breed them intentionally. And I worry that fancy names for mismarked patterns just kinda encourages it.

I understand where you're coming from, don't worry (my brother's mom-in-law breeds stupidly expensive 'Labrodoodles' and seeing what she puts into their bloodline makes me :rolleyes:). I actually got Gus at a pretty drat good price, a bit below the average cost for a "normal" Dane. I REALLY love his coat too: I've never really seen a Dane with markings like his and its pretty rad to have such a one-of-a-kind look. As far as I know he was just kind of a fluke; I don't think they bred him as some secret experiment but I guess hey, who knows.

That website you posted is kinda crazy. Unfortunately what makes those businesses work is that people buy into that kind of thing. I mean the Labradoodle, Cockapoo, Golden Doodle, whatever, are all basically mutts with $2000 price tags. I know they're "hypo-allergenic" but it still shouldn't make them cost literally twice as much as other dogs. All it takes is a breeder insisting that their animals are THE most rare from secret, super-special bloodlines, and people will believe it: even if the breed/coat will never be accepted by the AKC.

I guess as long as they're not inbreeding the dogs or price-gouging for "rarity" I don't really see the problem with crazy coat markings.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Is that website really all that marked up? $1000 for a Dane doesn't seem that far off from what most breeders charge.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Veruca Salt posted:

Is that website really all that marked up? $1000 for a Dane doesn't seem that far off from what most breeders charge.

If you'll notice, she charges more for the "rare" colors. It's not so much the price, but the markup from breed standard colors to the "rare" mismarks that makes it seem kinda labradoodle-ish to me. $1000 for a dane isn't high at all. I was looking at some gorgeous, responsibly bred mantle and harlequin pups (I stumbled across the site while looking for support for that post and :neckbeard: puppies!) that were $1550 with a s/n registration, $1850 for full registration.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

How worried should I be about this weird ball thing on Sunday's lip? It looks like it's from where her tooth is rubbing her or something. But it's gross and I've never seen anything like it before.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

That could be a bunch of things. She's going in for her spay sometime very soon, right? You could get that looked at while she's there.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Looks like puppy warts to me. Mostly harmless. Ask your vet to be sure.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

My Dane had something similar when he was a puppy. They looked almost exactly like that and just ended up being somewhat similar to canker sores. Real gross looking, but they just faded away after awhile. It is always best practice to at least mention it to the vet though!

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

What would I do without this thread? Thanks guys. :)

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009

Boru posted:

My Dane had something similar when he was a puppy. They looked almost exactly like that and just ended up being somewhat similar to canker sores. Real gross looking, but they just faded away after awhile. It is always best practice to at least mention it to the vet though!

My dog had that too. Canker sores is what we were told. The vet said it's common enough in pure-bred dogs. They went away after about a year

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Sunny wanted to show you guys how she suntans at daycare.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

Veruca Salt posted:

Cute! Her coat reminds me of my Guster! I love how Danes are prone to the same ridiculous behavior: i.e. passing out, sitting on laps, etc.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Veruca Salt posted:

Pfft, and people say danes don't like to sun themselves.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Pfft, and people say danes don't like to sun themselves.

Strangely enough I have never seen her do this before, and I was slightly alarmed when the daycare posted this picture on Facebook because my first thought was "OH GOD MY DOG IS DEAD". Then this one was right after it, and I was like "Oh okay"

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
After our recent bout of tornadoes, Sage has decided she does not like thunderstorms. She's gone her whole life and not cared a whit if it's storming. Now she runs and hides under the nearest person when it thunders. Big wimp. :3:

Mauer
Mar 19, 2012

Veruca Salt posted:

How worried should I be about this weird ball thing on Sunday's lip? It looks like it's from where her tooth is rubbing her or something. But it's gross and I've never seen anything like it before.

Those are canine viral papillomas. They will spread all over her mouth before they go away. They will likely last several months to a year. However, they are disgusting, and if you want to get rid of them quickly, you will need to go to the vet and ask for a prescription for azithromycin.

Your vet may not approve of treating a viral infection with an antibiotic. However, peer-reviewed research suggests that azithromycin kills an unidentified co-vector that cooperates with the virus resulting in these growths. Kill the co-vector, the growths fall off or heal.

Relevant documentation of this treatment can be found in a 2008 article in Veterinary Dermatology.

My doberman Zelda had this, and after azithromycin treatment the growths quickly vanished.

lichen
May 13, 2004
My boy Apollo. He's about 3 years old now. He's not exactly giant, but he's relatively large at about 90lbs.

Apollo and my mom:

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

daishan14 posted:

This is Kiyo, friendliest Akita ever.

Here I am at about 3 or 4 months. What are you doing with that rectangle in your hands?

Now I am a little under a year old. This lake is pretty tasty. Maybe if I ignore the birds they will come to me....

Also around a year old. Haha. I am inside and dry, you are outside and wet.

Found this leaving for work at 4am. Definitely not supposed to be on the couch.

Squirrel!

Akita butts are the funniest butts.

Here she is at a year and a half. She is a little over 90 pounds and might hit 100 as she finishes filling out. She kinda took over the futon we got for guests....

I know this is from way back but seriously, akitas make me go all :3:

RurouNNy
Dec 10, 2004

Oh man I appreciate that, you know I do!
While I was at the dog park today with my own dog, there was an invasion of giant beasties :3: Okay, so I am a creeper and I took pictures of stranger's pets.

(incoming dump, I hope there aren't too many :ohdear: - I have even more, I was trying to take it easy!)

there was a Newfoundland named Chewie (he was so soft!):

A St Bernard youngster (didn't get many pics of him):

A Neo Mastiff (I think??):

a black Dane (I think he was an old man, he just seemed crickety):

a merle Dane named Oakley and 10 months old (am I right on the coloring?):

and 2 harlequin Danes, a male and a female:
male:

female harlequin (I lurved her):

The two harlequins wrasslin':

It was an epic giant dog party :3: I've always loved Danes, though I haven't seen all that many in my life. They are so durfy!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:3: Yeah, that pup is a merle. That black dane may or may not be old (though I suspect he's probably around 5 or so). Some go premature gray, some stay black until the day they die practically. And yeah, a neo mastiff.

Those harlequins are awesome, especially the boy with the giant splotch on his back.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Ahhh Newfie :3: There's a man in my neighbourhood who has two of them, it makes me squeal every time I see him. Small man walking two middle-sized BEARS.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

RurouNNy posted:

While I was at the dog park today with my own dog, there was an invasion of giant beasties :3: Okay, so I am a creeper and I took pictures of stranger's pets.

That's glorious. I think the best big dog invasion we had at my dog park was my Dane, two other Danes, two Irish Wolfhounds, and a Great Pyrenees (with a bonus of two grey hounds); along with all the other random mid- and small- dogs running about. Great pictures though, makes me excited for dog park season (Gus gets too cold in the winter)! :allears:

Mauer
Mar 19, 2012

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

Ahhh Newfie :3: There's a man in my neighbourhood who has two of them, it makes me squeal every time I see him. Small man walking two middle-sized BEARS.

If it weren't for the buckets of slobber, I would say Newfies might just be the coolest dogs in the pool.

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Mauer posted:

If it weren't for the buckets of slobber, I would say Newfies might just be the coolest dogs in the pool.

What do you think the pool is filled with?
just going to leave this here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgIz1Add98s

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

RurouNNy posted:

a merle Dane named Oakley and 10 months old (am I right on the coloring?):

Wouldn't Oakley be considered a merlequin? Not being a smartass, I'm fairly new to Danes and mine is a pretty boring (but wonderfully and stupidly) black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StudlyMcHandsome
Sep 11, 2011
I was reading this entire thread just waiting for someone to post Newfie pics. Surely there must be some newfie-owning goons out there?

Sadly, I don't think my Brittany qualifies for this thread. Someday he'll get a giant dog buddy but I don't think it will be anytime soon.