Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Not if it's for a special occasion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Went to the grocery store last night because it's 15% off for students on Thursday (I guess I still look like one) and bought a whole slew of veggies. I think I wanna make some sort of beef stew/braised beef. I have lots of potatoes, onions, celery, carrots, parsnips, shallot, red wine, etc.

Should I buy stew beef? Cook it in my crockpot or a regular pot? I don't have a dutch oven or anything like that yet. Anyone have a good winter recipe?

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 2, 2012

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

Doh004 posted:

Went to the grocery store last night because it's 15% off for students on Thursday (I guess I still look like one) and bought a whole slew of veggies. I think I wanna make some sort of beef stew/braised beef. I have lots of potatoes, onions, celery, carrots, parsnips, shallot, red wine, etc.

Should I buy stew beef? Cook it in my crockpot or a regular pot? I don't have a dutch oven or anything like that yet. Anyone have a good winter recipe?

You could certainly do it in a crock pot, but it isn't going to be one of those "dump everything in and forget about it" type recipes.

I would get a pot out and heat some oil. Brown your meat (in chunks of course) on all sides and set aside. Add onion, celery and carrot to the pan (in chunks of course) and cook until they are starting to soften. Add a copule of tablespoons of flour to the pan and cook for a few minutes to get rid of the raw taste. Add beef stock and red wine to your tastes, add the meat back in, cover and toss the whole thing in the oven for a few hours at 250-275 until the meat is tender.

Season, herb up and eat.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Related, I'm interested in a beef stew type recipe specifically for the crock pot. I made a nice chili by browning stew beef and hot sausage on the stove, then cooking low and slow in the crock with everything else. I'd like to do something similar, but not chili - beef stew seems the obvious choice, but honestly I've never had a beef stew I've really loved, so if there's something similar but with different flavors, I'm all ears.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Thanks for that Phummus. Going off of what Nibble said, are there any suggestions to make it more than just standard beef stew? Any sort of rub/marinade for the meat?

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

Nibble posted:

Related, I'm interested in a beef stew type recipe specifically for the crock pot. I made a nice chili by browning stew beef and hot sausage on the stove, then cooking low and slow in the crock with everything else. I'd like to do something similar, but not chili - beef stew seems the obvious choice, but honestly I've never had a beef stew I've really loved, so if there's something similar but with different flavors, I'm all ears.

Coat the meat (you can do cubed stew beef, but try separated short ribs for extra flavour) in flour, salt, pepper and paprika, brown with minimum of oil, transfer to crockpot, use the pan for sauteing onions/celery/carrots, splash some red wine in there if there's something stuck to the bottom, transfer to crock pot and add some cubed potatoes in there too

Then take a big can of guiness, warm it up in the pan and transfer to crockpot. Add water till covered, lots of pepper, then Worcestershire and paprika to taste. The best part is experimenting with spices

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Cowcatcher posted:

Coat the meat (you can do cubed stew beef, but try separated short ribs for extra flavour) in flour, salt, pepper and paprika, brown with minimum of oil, transfer to crockpot, use the pan for sauteing onions/celery/carrots, splash some red wine in there if there's something stuck to the bottom, transfer to crock pot and add some cubed potatoes in there too

Then take a big can of guiness, warm it up in the pan and transfer to crockpot. Add water till covered, lots of pepper, then Worcestershire and paprika to taste. The best part is experimenting with spices

That sounds like a good base recipe, thanks. If I'm putting beer in the pan is there any reason I can't use that to deglaze instead of the wine? Though I guess the wine might add some complementary flavors.

Would baby red potatoes, cut into halves or quarters, work in here? I generally like them better than russets.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

Nibble posted:

That sounds like a good base recipe, thanks. If I'm putting beer in the pan is there any reason I can't use that to deglaze instead of the wine? Though I guess the wine might add some complementary flavors.

Would baby red potatoes, cut into halves or quarters, work in here? I generally like them better than russets.

I'm not sure how Guiness would work for deglazing, that's why I said wine.

The recipe is just your standard stew, you can't really do wrong by replacing anything.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
I'm mostly concerned with how different potatoes would hold up to such a long cooking time. I'm not familiar with making stews so it's never come up before. I just know reds are tastier, especially with the skins.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
I am wanting to make roasted garlic. The pictures I see have huge bulbs. Are you supposed to use the big elephant garlic bulbs or can you use the normal small ones as well?

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Darkblade posted:

I am wanting to make roasted garlic. The pictures I see have huge bulbs. Are you supposed to use the big elephant garlic bulbs or can you use the normal small ones as well?

Yes use normal, dont buy elephant garlic.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
My wife desperately wants an Elena Ruiz sandwhich but I can't really get cuban bread anywhere here in New Mexico and I didn't bring nearly enough stuff with me to feel like baking my own bread, what can I get from the market that would approximate it most closely? Shes from Miami so I'd like to get it as close as possible for her.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Doh004 posted:

Should I buy stew beef?

A while ago stores used to cheaply sell the scraps off the bones as "Stew meat". Today, however, most stores will sell you chopped up sirloin for $2 more than the normal sirloin cost and brand it as "stew meat".

Buy a cheap chunk of beef, chop it up, brown it up and toss it in.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

A while ago stores used to cheaply sell the scraps off the bones as "Stew meat". Today, however, most stores will sell you chopped up sirloin for $2 more than the normal sirloin cost and brand it as "stew meat".

Buy a cheap chunk of beef, chop it up, brown it up and toss it in.

Ended up getting a big ole chuck roast for cheap at my butcher. Will cook it all up tomorrow. Gonna throw in some parsnips along with the veggies.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
I love me some oatmeal, but my stomach can't process it at all. What should I have that's kinda similar (at least nutritionally) for breakfast?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Congee?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Grits or cream of wheat?

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Tried baking a loaf of whole-wheat bread tonight. Came out good mostly, but the loaves were misshapen on one side.

Crumb shot:

Taste/texture were fine, but that blown-out area is pissing me off. What usually causes this?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I'm no expert baker, but it looks like it crusted over before the insides had finished expanding, causing the top of the loaf to slide over to make room. Could be that maybe you had a little too much dough for your pan?

e: please tell me if this is stupid so I can learn.

Chard fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Mar 3, 2012

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Slashing it with a sharp knife will stop that from happening.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Like a roggenbrot?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

You just need to score it so it can expand properly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QdzHuhJ-ls

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
I scored 2-3 pounds of lovely brussels sprouts from the farmers market section of my grocery store. Problem is I've never cooked with them. My only experience is the frozen variety that my mom used to boil into gray bitter oblivion. I plan to cook some in a skillet with onions and garlic (maybe some bacon) for a side dish with a beef roast but I'll still have a lot left over.

They not only look like little cabbages, the raw leaves I've tasted seemed pretty indistinguishable from cabbage too. Does that mean I can use them interchangeably where a recipe calls for cabbage? I'm thinking vegetable soup for one, maybe coleslaw? Any suggestions?

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I braised them in heavy cream, with some nutmeg. I can't remember how much nutmeg I used, or how long/what temperature I used, but I remember devouring it.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I really love harissa and I'm trying to recreate this amazing paste that I buy. I have the ingredients but I can't seem to make it taste as good? Any advice?

From the jar:

- olive oil
- roasted red peppers
- chillies
- coriander
- garlic
- carraway seeds
- coriander seeds
- dried mint
- sea salt

Obviously what peppers and chillies you use probably makes a difference. I grew some last year which are medium heat (similar to the paste).

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Econosaurus posted:

I seem to have accidentally bought long grain rice (my Czech isn't great). Do I still need to soak it?
Nope. If it's white rice, you're fine on going from regular to cooked. It's brown rice that takes forever to cook.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

wheatpuppy posted:

I scored 2-3 pounds of lovely brussels sprouts from the farmers market section of my grocery store. Problem is I've never cooked with them. My only experience is the frozen variety that my mom used to boil into gray bitter oblivion. I plan to cook some in a skillet with onions and garlic (maybe some bacon) for a side dish with a beef roast but I'll still have a lot left over.

They not only look like little cabbages, the raw leaves I've tasted seemed pretty indistinguishable from cabbage too. Does that mean I can use them interchangeably where a recipe calls for cabbage? I'm thinking vegetable soup for one, maybe coleslaw? Any suggestions?
Cut off the hard little bottoms, half them, toss them in a bit of olive oil, canola oil, thyme, and crushed caraway seeds, and throw them in a preheated 350 oven on a parchment lined baking sheet for 12 minutes. Remove from oven, and toss to redistribute, and allow to bake for another 7 minutes. There will be bits that are caramelised, and bits that are tender and sweet. Sprinkle on some coarse salt, and eat. They are most delicious.

Fitret
Mar 25, 2003

We are rolling for the King of All Cosmos!
So I got a cast-iron wok from a friend and she did not take care of it well. I tried to season it a while ago, but the first few times I cooked in it stuff stuck to the bottom. I decided that I was going to seriously try and rehabilitate it... below is the result of dumping a shitload of salt into it and scrubbing really hard, rinse and repeating that process several times.

Ultimate question now - is this thing salvageable, or is it going to be like this forever? Any suggestions on some more hardcore cleaning method I could use? I was debating using steel wool on it but I'm afraid that will permanently damage it.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FishBulb posted:

My wife desperately wants an Elena Ruiz sandwhich but I can't really get cuban bread anywhere here in New Mexico and I didn't bring nearly enough stuff with me to feel like baking my own bread, what can I get from the market that would approximate it most closely? Shes from Miami so I'd like to get it as close as possible for her.

Baguettes are the closest approximation.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fitret posted:

Ultimate question now - is this thing salvageable, or is it going to be like this forever? Any suggestions on some more hardcore cleaning method I could use? I was debating using steel wool on it but I'm afraid that will permanently damage it.

You really can't permanently damage it. Use steel wool if you think it will cut through it, or stop wasting your time with the small stuff and get a wire wheel on drill and go to work.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS

a handful of dust posted:

Tried baking a loaf of whole-wheat bread tonight. Came out good mostly, but the loaves were misshapen on one side.

Crumb shot:

Taste/texture were fine, but that blown-out area is pissing me off. What usually causes this?

Did you have the loaves sitting close to each other? Cause baking things too close to each other can deform them, something about moisture and uneven heat I can't remember exactly why.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Jippa posted:

I really love harissa and I'm trying to recreate this amazing paste that I buy. I have the ingredients but I can't seem to make it taste as good? Any advice?

From the jar:

- olive oil
- roasted red peppers
- chillies
- coriander
- garlic
- carraway seeds
- coriander seeds
- dried mint
- sea salt

Obviously what peppers and chillies you use probably makes a difference. I grew some last year which are medium heat (similar to the paste).

looks like you're missing cumin

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Slashing it with a sharp knife will stop that from happening.

Is that something I should do with all pan loaves? I always score free form loaves, but for some reason I thought you didn't need to with pan bread.

The King Arthur flour lady's loaves from the recipe looked awesome without slashing, so I didn't think it was necessary:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The tearing comes from the crust setting before the oven spring has finished. Sometimes that can happen as a result of not rising it long enough after you shape it. Also, the more humid the oven the longer it will take the crust to set.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Is there any website or book or person or anything that explains varieties of rice? Specifically whenever I shop at my local Indian place there are like, 20 kinds of rice all with various names that don't mean anything to me (this list on Wikipedia is pretty representative, I think: I'm not sure about the specific names, because it's all Greek to me, but if I see hasan serai rice, joha rice, and patna rice for sale, I dunno what's up). 90% of the people who work at the store aren't Indian people so they can't really help me.

TheHistoryChannel
Feb 12, 2008

Some quick googling led me to ricegourmet.com that seems to be pretty legit, but someone with more knowledge may have a better one.

Lately I've gotten seriously into oven frying (i think this is the right term) basically I pour about 1/2 inch of vegetable oil into a pyrex casserole dish then put it in a 400 degree oven and let that poo poo get hot. Then I dump in chicken potatoes or whatever and flip it early and often. My problem is I am going through a ridiculous amount of oil doing this. Is there a convenient way to filter the oil and use it again? Please keep in mind I'm drat near broke so i can't be buying any fancy contraptions. Thanks in advance.

cereal eater
Aug 25, 2008

I'd save these, if I wanted too

ps i dont deserve my 'king' nickname
(quoted from product recommendation thread)

cereal eater posted:

Soooo it was my birthday a couple days ago and Ive got a hankerin for spending money on kitchen stuff! Though the cuisinart mcp looks awesome, I probably don't need that much stuff. I use my lodge cast iron for pretty much everything, but would be interested in getting another pan or a stockpot or Dutch oven of some sort. Or maybe a cleaver. Or some appliance.

So, sorry for the stupid question. I will try to get my questions a bit more focused in the future!

So I am a beginning cook. I love it. I am a true mid 20's american white male; over privileged, lazy, smoke too much and drink too much, play video games, get supported by my parents while I enter my 9th year of post high school education. I love cooking because it gives me a chance to FOCUS on something, the way I can focus on CoD or NHL 12 for my xbox. I think it is so cool to read a recipe, do it a few times, and then know how to cook it. Instead of it being a step by step process (step 1, chop the onions, step 2, saute them, step 3, remove from pan, etc.) it becomes much more fluid (cook the meat, cook the veggies in the oil, combine, add stock, simmer). I hope that is coherent.

Anyways, just wanted to share that with the GWS community. I credit you guys with getting me started, the slow cooker megathread and the cast iron megathread were extremly helpful back in the day. Also, the goon red beans and rice is a staple in my house, one of the few dishes I am confident to make.

Well, I was just going to leave it as a "feel good" post, but this reminds me of a question I had. I was making the goon red beans and rice the other day(http://www.goonswithspoons.com/New_Orleans_style_Red_Beans_and_Rice) and finished the early steps and was just leaving it on the stove to cook for a few hours. My question is this: Previously when I cook this, I have it cooking on a low heat that when I remove the top every 30 minutes or so it is bubbling a little bit, but will stop within moments. It has turned out wonderful that way. This time, I was cooking on a new stove, and had it boiling for a period of about 30 minutes. I am just curious what effect this has on the food?

Basically, what does simmering do, and what does boiling do? How do they affect the flavors? When is one advantageous to the other? Is this question so out of touch and unfocused I need to rephrase it or is it appropriate?

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The tearing comes from the crust setting before the oven spring has finished. Sometimes that can happen as a result of not rising it long enough after you shape it. Also, the more humid the oven the longer it will take the crust to set.

I think this might've been it, thanks!

I let it rise a bit longer and tossed some ice cubes in a preheated skillet on the bottom of the oven when I put the loaf in. Still got a tiny bit of a tear along one side, but the loaf is actually symmetrical this time:

Taft Punk
Jan 11, 2011

Fish are the vegetables of the sea.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Going to be in the Tacoma area (around the convention centre) for Magic tournament this weekend. Is there any places nearby for good food/coffee that I can hit up while at the event? Or am I going to have eat bleah food and travel to Seattle for the good stuff?

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you again. THE BOYFRIEND says to catch "The downtown Tacoma Link" transit which is free in downtown Tacoma, to Broadway. There's a good Indian place, a decent Mexican place, a few acceptable American places... Bars and restaurants all up and down Broadway.

Frisco Freeze is nearby and is a good greasy burger / highschool hangout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

TheHistoryChannel posted:

Some quick googling led me to ricegourmet.com that seems to be pretty legit, but someone with more knowledge may have a better one.

Lately I've gotten seriously into oven frying (i think this is the right term) basically I pour about 1/2 inch of vegetable oil into a pyrex casserole dish then put it in a 400 degree oven and let that poo poo get hot. Then I dump in chicken potatoes or whatever and flip it early and often. My problem is I am going through a ridiculous amount of oil doing this. Is there a convenient way to filter the oil and use it again? Please keep in mind I'm drat near broke so i can't be buying any fancy contraptions. Thanks in advance.
I don't have any filtering suggestions, but I wanted to chime in that I oven-fry chicken all the time with much less oil. If you use skin-on chicken, like a cut-up whole fryer, enough fat will generally render out to coat the bottom of the pan. I just spray or smear a little oil in the bottom of the pan at the start. I use a foil-lined sheet pan or cast iron though, dunno it if would be different for Pyrex.