Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

He was on the Blackwater, that's something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

I will admit that I like Davos more for his character than for his actual story.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Same here. I didn't really care where his story was going, but I liked his character a lot.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah. Well Davos right now is escaping, right? So that's exciting.

The story that makes you want to get a lobotomy the most is still Dany's, though.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Dead Man Posting posted:

The story that makes you want to get a lobotomy the most is still Dany's, though.

Especially in ADWD. I actually liked her in the first couple books before it was clear nothing was going to happen.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
Dany IX (chapter 52) is still one of the coolest in the book, and a CMOA for her character.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Joramun posted:

Dany IX (chapter 52) is still one of the coolest in the book, and a CMOA for her character.

This is probably obvious, but what does CMOA stand for?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

RCarr posted:

This is probably obvious, but what does CMOA stand for?

Crowning Moment of Awesome, it's a TV Tropes thing.

And for reference, Dany IX is the chapter where she leaves on Drogon, which was pretty cool I admit.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

Dead Man Posting posted:

Dany makes me really angry because she had so much potential for a really interesting story about a young, female ruler rising to power and then it literally ends up as verbal diarrhea a billion miles from the real action. Such a waste of a storyline.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

At least she can get pregnant again and ride her dragons so something has to happen now right? Right?? :(

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

TheManWithNoName posted:

At least she can get pregnant again and ride her dragons so something has to happen now right? Right?? :(

Did I miss the sun rising in the west or something?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

Did I miss the sun rising in the west or something?

The frog prince's coat of arms is a sun on a spear and he rose in the west to be roasted in the east.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Sophia posted:

Dany makes me really angry because she had so much potential for a really interesting story about a young, female ruler rising to power and then it literally ends up as verbal diarrhea a billion miles from the real action. Such a waste of a storyline.

Exactly. It's pretty hard to ruin a woman rising from nothing to take revenge with her dragons, but Gurm somehow managed it.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Maytag posted:

I'm guessing I'm the only one here who finds Davos and his entire story boring as hell.

It was enjoyable up till the point... er, I cannot even recall what was happening when it got to boring to remember. That's how forgetable it was.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
I don't understand how anyone can talk about him having character because he's about the blandest dude in the series.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Fog Tripper posted:

It was enjoyable up till the point... er, I cannot even recall what was happening when it got to boring to remember. That's how forgetable it was.

Davos sucked until ADWD, and that's like being the nicest peanut in a turd.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Davos is awesome because he's one of the only characters that isn't scheming, greedy, dumb, or douchey. Hopefully he ends up on the Iron Throne and ushers in an age of peace and onions for all.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

TheManWithNoName posted:

Davos is awesome because he's one of the only characters that isn't scheming, greedy, dumb, or douchey. Hopefully he ends up on the Iron Throne and ushers in an age of peace and onions for all.

This, pretty much. I doubt he'd want to rule, though, so I'd be content with Stan the Man having him as Hand.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Urdnot Fire posted:

Exactly. It's pretty hard to ruin a woman rising from nothing to take revenge with her dragons, but Gurm somehow managed it.
I'm increasingly convinced it would have been better had GRRM gone with his original plan of just skipping ahead the story by several years and just consider all the stuff that had to happen for Dany to get to Westeros etc. to already have happened "in the past" for the next book, to have taken place in that span of time in between books 3 and 4.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

PrBacterio posted:

I'm increasingly convinced it would have been better had GRRM gone with his original plan of just skipping ahead the story by several years and just consider all the stuff that had to happen for Dany to get to Westeros etc. to already have happened "in the past" for the next book, to have taken place in that span of time in between books 3 and 4.

The problem is there really isn't a satisfactory way to get her from her position in ASoS to Westeros without oversimplifying things, and unfortunately for all of us GRRM decided to take the long way around and showcase all the messy politics that would quagmire a would-be conqueror with less experience than she knows.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

mind the walrus posted:

The problem is there really isn't a satisfactory way to get her from her position in ASoS to Westeros without oversimplifying things, and unfortunately for all of us GRRM decided to take the long way around and showcase all the messy politics that would quagmire a would-be conqueror with less experience than she knows.
Right, which is precisely the reason why he ought to have glossed over all of that. It's not like there aren't plenty of other elements to the ASoIaF universe that are only ever described in passing and, while they might appear to make sense at first glance, they would fall apart as soon as anybody tried to flesh them out in any detail.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
But none of those things involve something as essential to a character as Dany's giving up on Mereen (or somehow pulling it off perfectly) and going onto Westeros. He wrote himself into a corner as soon as he had Dany decide to embrace the White Princess's Burden. Really he should have had the whole thing end with her gallivanting off to Asshai and then hearing about Astapor after she could no longer do any damage.

Better yet: end it on that note and otherwise leave the rest of ASOS as-is. Then announce the end of the trilogy right there. Sure, nothing's resolved, but nothing's ever going to get resolved and at least ASOS ended pretty much everything on a high note.

Also, proposal for a new rule: no more Tropes. We're already awful enough; we don't need to dilute it with some other brand of awfulness.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Agreed on no tropes.

That said it would be even better if he had made the whole "Mereen self-destructs under a naive Princess" plot just a goddamn chapter or two, but he just kept dragging it out. There's commitment to detail and realism and then there's shooting your narrative in the foot.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
He should have moved Quentyn Martell or whatever his name was along in Feast, so he could set the dragons loose and gently caress everything up at the beginning of the book. None of that poo poo was interesting in any way and having Dany sit there ignoring her world conquering murderbeasts that she's locked in the basement was an unbelievably frustrating writing choice.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
By tropes do you mean all that nuncle and neeps and words are wind everybody keeps repeating because that got old fast.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Maytag posted:

By tropes do you mean all that nuncle and neeps and words are wind everybody keeps repeating because that got old fast.

Probably just the endlessly irritating TVTropes dribble.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Skipped Danychat '12 to say that Davos is motherfucking milk toast.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Maytag posted:

No, those stay, because they're OUR lovely catchphrases nobody likes but uses all the time. TVTropes is a whole 'nother kettle of fish with an entirely different tradition of rape and morbidly obese authors writing about teenage girls.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

TheManWithNoName posted:

Something along those lines can also be said about Bronn. He's greedy maybe, but there's a lot more greedier characters in the series, and his overall awesomeness when compared to Davos easily makes him better.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Rurik posted:

Something along those lines can also be said about Bronn. He's greedy maybe, but there's a lot more greedier characters in the series, and his overall awesomeness when compared to Davos easily makes him better.

Bronn just doesn't give a gently caress about anyone else in the series no matter who they are. He should be given his own POV.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Are you insane? Bronn can't be given a POV, the series would suddenly end as he goes off and conquers the entire planet, crushing the thrones of men beneath his sandalled heel.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Are you insane? Bronn can't be given a POV, the series would suddenly end as he goes off and conquers the entire planet, crushing the thrones of men beneath his sandalled heel.

Or he eats shitberries and spends a book making GBS threads water and blood while talking about his wife and lamprey pie, such is the curse of the GRRM-POV. Although, the Barristan chapters may be a counterpoint to the general rule of poo poo that follows George the Hutt.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

crazypeltast52 posted:

Or he eats shitberries and spends a book making GBS threads water and blood while talking about his wife and lamprey pie, such is the curse of the GRRM-POV. Although, the Barristan chapters may be a counterpoint to the general rule of poo poo that follows George the Hutt.

I'd be fine with a series consisting solely of Barristan, Bronn, and Davos. They could be roommates, it could be a wacky sitcom, or else they could be wandering the earth fighting baddies.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
They could be constantly having to rescue their semi-handicapped friend Quentyn as he cooks up half-brained schemes to tame the dragon.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Elindale posted:

They could be constantly having to rescue their semi-handicapped friend Quentyn as he cooks up half-brained schemes to tame the dragon.

For added fun, the "dragon" in question could be Viserys. His crazy eyes would make the show.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Bronn is the current disguise of the God-Emperor of Mankind. He will rise up from his castle when the time is ripe. A Dream of Spring will literally be all about Bronn uniting Mankind.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

whowhatwhere posted:

Bronn is the current disguise of the God-Emperor of Mankind. He will rise up from his castle when the time is ripe. A Dream of Spring will literally be all about Bronn uniting Mankind.

The Darkstar is secretly his natural-born son Horus, except he will only mortally wound his ear.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

so, is now a good time to start asking about Winds of Winter? (no, seriously)

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Give it a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Asking what about it? Which decade it will be released in?