Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It honestly blows my mind how bad the portraits are in Devil Survivor 2. When one character raises her hands in alarm, they literally look like sheets of paper, they have no definition to aid in depth perception. Yet, her breasts defy gravity.

They really have to be seen in the game to be believed.

The men actually aren't so bad though, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Douche Bag posted:

How does the story compare to P4? As much as I like everything else about it (P4) what really caught my interest is the story.

You may be dissapointed then, the story is a lot smaller and the average cutscene is like 5 minutes long, its mostly a dungeon crawler.

And maybe I just suck but DS2 is kicking my rear end, first free battle I lost a ton of demons and everyone died but IO, now I'm on day 2, just a fight called app abuser and lost Daichi and the MC before finishing.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Tallgeese posted:

It honestly blows my mind how bad the portraits are in Devil Survivor 2. When one character raises her hands in alarm, they literally look like sheets of paper, they have no definition to aid in depth perception. Yet, her breasts defy gravity.

They really have to be seen in the game to be believed.

The men actually aren't so bad though, at least.

honestly, wait until you run into Aiji or whoever, she literally has an animation where she rests her hands on her boobs and she is 15 years old...

I love the game otherwise, but the female character portraits are so terrible.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

This isn't entirely true, actually. In addition to Pierce, you can also get access to Pierce+ (A team skill that gives everyone Pierce) and Almighty Hit (physical attack with an Almighty property) and Piercing Hit (Physical attack that pierces defenses.) You can actually field multiple physical characters without suffering a large loss. A character with Pierce + 2 demons with Pierce + Rage Soul is a pretty hilarious combination

Oh ok, I didn't know that. I never ran into Almighty Hit or Pierce+ when I did Ronaldo's ending.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Alteisen posted:

You may be dissapointed then, the story is a lot smaller and the average cutscene is like 5 minutes long, its mostly a dungeon crawler.

That's a little disappointing. What other SMT games have good stories? Is P4 considered to have the best?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Douche Bag posted:

That's a little disappointing. What other SMT games have good stories? Is P4 considered to have the best?

Digital Devil Saga has a really great story. Nocturne's story certainly isn't bad by any means, but it is very minimalist in comparison to Persona 3/4 which are basically dating sims with a dungeon crawler mixed in.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Douche Bag posted:

How does the story compare to P4? As much as I like everything else about it (P4) what really caught my interest is the story.

Nocturne has a brilliant story (I believe the best in the series, honestly), but it's told in an incredibly minimalist manner. You have to piece it together, as characters are more symbols than living, breathing people.

There are few games that make you feel as alone as Nocturne does.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Chiming in to agree that Nocturne has one of the best stories. But yeah, it's minimalist and told primarily through visuals and what is inferred between the lines of dialogue.

Digital Devil Saga is a strong runner-up, though it story wavers a bit into the wacky territory in the second game.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
For Devil Survivor 2, is there a proper way to go into the Third Phase for the last boss fight? Every time I do the next turn is basically the left side thing attacking one of my groups and completely annihilating one of my teams

FINALmasa
Feb 12, 2006

Ask me about how feminists are feminists because they can't get laid.

Don't worry, I'm not some sexist ass, MRAs are MRAs because they can't get laid either. By the way, I am totally an MRA!
Nocturne isn't that bad. I kind of lucked into Matador with a Jack Frost that automatically criticals and a Snuffleupagus, but other than that it's just figuring out what the boss is using and countering it. Random battles can be tough if you happen to have a weakness, and especially if you just auto-battle and you get a second battle and aren't paying too much attention. On the other hand, people have started asking me meaningful questions, and I don't really get if I'm supposed to be supporting anybody yet. Does the game ever get into the personalities of the alliances, or is it just more of a "I want to be a bad guy, so I should just be nice to these people"?

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Grozz Nuy posted:

I can't believe people are already finished with the game, it came out on Tuesday.

I just started on Day 3, does the optional fight with Ghost Q show back up later? Because I'm only level 18 right now and I can't figure out how to get to it quickly enough to kill it before the minions catch up, heal it, and then wipe the floor with me. I can't imagine how you're supposed to do this solo at the level range you're supposed to be at the beginning of Day 3, and it doesn't seem to make sense as a NG+ thing because if you've completed the game once already you don't need special mid-level demons.

I don't think it does, but the only reason you'd want to waste the half hour in the first place is to have Ghost Q's race skill, which does something like let you immediately take another turn. Apparently even that costs a shitload of MP so you're probably better off with Double Up anyway.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
Double Up is inferior to that because the Fiend skill allows you to also *move* again and it is not always active, so you don't need to take the Turn hit when you don't need it. If you stick a Divine on a team with a Fiend, for Blood Wine (with your leader having a heal) you can pretty much take 2 turns whenever it its needed and have no MP worries

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.

Douche Bag posted:

How difficult is Nocturne? I've been playing Persona 4 and loving the poo poo out of it so I grabbed Nocturne on a whim only to find out it's supposed to be hard as gently caress :ohdear:

I've just started making my way through Nocturne on hard, and while I'm definitely dying more than I did in P3/4, it's not that hard. I'm also having more fun with the battle system. So while the story has been pretty minimal, as others have said, it hasn't been a big deal, and it's compelling enough.

As for DDS, I've played about 3/4s of the way through the first game, and while I found the story to be interesting, I don't think the writing itself (dialogue and whatnot) was that strong.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

If nothing else, DDS has really nice looking FMV, which is more than you can say for any other SMT game that's ever been released.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

UselessLurker posted:

I don't think it does, but the only reason you'd want to waste the half hour in the first place is to have Ghost Q's race skill, which does something like let you immediately take another turn. Apparently even that costs a shitload of MP so you're probably better off with Double Up anyway.

Alright cool, I won't bother with it if it's not that helpful in the first place.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I feel like doing trivia today.

Does anyone remember that strange chant in Revelations: The Demon Slayer whenever you casted one of those Almighty spells over a couple of turns? "Un Alpha et Omega Eot Tetragrammaton"? It makes no sense in any language, so some people thought Un was supposed to be Om and so on? There was a discussion about it in the LP of the game.

I inexplicably found out that the actual chant is from an old summoning of Zadkiel. In full, it is:

Hagios O Theos Iscyros Athanatos Paracletus Agla on Alpha et Omega Ioth Aglanbroth Abiel Anathiel Tetragrammaton.

Basically, the Japanese took out a couple of words, and Ioth got mistaken for "eot" in most translations.

So there's that translation mystery solved. It's more or less a callback to the SMT1 intro summoning, they just took it from a different place.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 4, 2012

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Welp, the last boss was a push over if you have Reflect Phys but overall it was a pretty fun game, but I guess I enjoyed DS1 more from a thematic perspective, oh well.
How many endings are there anyways? I did Al's path, and had Yamato, Ronaldo, and Daichi all available as well.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

How many endings are there anyways?

There's 6 in total. Al's Neutral, Yamato's Chaos, Ronaldo's Law, and Daichi has the remaining 3; two are Neutral and one's the "true" ending.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Dragonatrix posted:

There's 6 in total. Al's Neutral, Yamato's Chaos, Ronaldo's Law, and Daichi has the remaining 3; two are Neutral and one's the "true" ending.

I see. Do you have to do anything special to unlock the "true" path? or is it just obvious dialogue choices in Daichi's route

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I see. Do you have to do anything special to unlock the "true" path? or is it just obvious dialogue choices in Daichi's route

You have to see Fumi's conversation about the Akashic Record.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

FINALmasa posted:

Nocturne isn't that bad. I kind of lucked into Matador with a Jack Frost that automatically criticals and a Snuffleupagus, but other than that it's just figuring out what the boss is using and countering it. Random battles can be tough if you happen to have a weakness, and especially if you just auto-battle and you get a second battle and aren't paying too much attention. On the other hand, people have started asking me meaningful questions, and I don't really get if I'm supposed to be supporting anybody yet. Does the game ever get into the personalities of the alliances, or is it just more of a "I want to be a bad guy, so I should just be nice to these people"?

Yeah, it fleshes them out, but again, it's very subtle. Some of your choices will change your Alignment as well as the ending, and you'll probably see these decisions coming from a mile off.

Their personalities/Reasons become more apparent soon enough.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
I got DS2 in the mail a day ago but, I haven't touched it since I want to get the Gin ending and save everyone in DS1 (I already beat it but, took the Amane path). While I was replaying it, I completely forgot that the AI often does suicide charges (guess how I remembered that). For those that have played/are playing DS2, does this still happen?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RickDaedalus posted:

I got DS2 in the mail a day ago but, I haven't touched it since I want to get the Gin ending and save everyone in DS1 (I already beat it but, took the Amane path). While I was replaying it, I completely forgot that the AI often does suicide charges (guess how I remembered that). For those that have played/are playing DS2, does this still happen?

Nowhere near as often, and the guys who do tend to be ridiculous powerful enough that they can survive it.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

RickDaedalus posted:

The only time it happens is on maps where you don't need to save people and it doesn't matter if the suiciding units die. It is annoying in some regards, because sometimes the unit that suicides has a skill you want to crack on it and then you can't get it!

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Ugg, gently caress the Yamoto fight. It's wouldn't be nearly as hard if he didn't get like 3 turns for my every one or at least not have 4 range.

Thought it is kinda funny his skill set is pretty much the same as my MC.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

DrManiac posted:

Ugg, gently caress the Yamoto fight. It's wouldn't be nearly as hard if he didn't get like 3 turns for my every one or at least not have 4 range.

What I did in that fight is just let the enemies come to you, as once you kill 4 of the monsters he charges up and usually gets to your area, and I just bumrushed him with the MC and Joe (You might also want to fuse the Arioch demon he has for the same range), but yeah that fight seriously sucks balls; harder than the final boss for me, at least.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DrManiac posted:

There are multiple variations on the Yamato fight. Which one is this?

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

A while ago I noticed Airi get's 2 elemental strengths at rank 1 Fate, and so I've been using her as a super tank party that can distract tougher groups of enemies. I gave her resistance to the other 3 types of damage as passives, and gave her the hustle auto (increased evasion/hit).

I like this idea in concept, but often I'm losing her demons and having her sitting there, still hard to kill, but not really doing damage in return all on her own. Are there any any good durable demons at around my point in the game (end of day 5), who I could use to make this super tank party work out? I don't really care if they're not significantly damaging.

9999DMG
May 20, 2007
Gently caress this poo poo.
In my Nocturne playthrough, I've been doing a lot of fusing so I can finally complete the compendium. Looking through my almost-complete compendium, a question occurred to me: is it possible to create an invincible demon? That is, can you fuse a demon that takes no damage, except from Almighty attacks? I know it's possible to do this in some of the newer SMT games, (though I can only think of Persona 3 and 4 off the top of my head,) but is it possible in SMT3? Given the way the Press Turn system works, such a demon would be incredibly useful no matter what skills it had. Just having it in your party would stop most bosses cold.

The first step is to find the demon with the most natural "strong" resistances (Void or better.) One thing to keep in mind is that there is no "null ailments" skill in SMT3, so our demon should have natural immunity to ailments. This will keep our inheritable skills needed to a minimum. Another thing to make sure is that the demon is not a special fusion, since it's harder to control which skills you pass on to a special fusion.

So far, I think the best candidate is the Harlot. She only takes damage from Fire, Ice, and Wind spells. She's a Fiend, so there's a bit more flexibility in what demons you can use to make her. Also, if the demons used don't have many skills, she will start with empty skill slots, which can be filled by Mitamas. Rag's Jeweler has special Mitamas that have elemental immunity skills already on them, making this plan easier.

Before I try this, has anyone else done this before? Is there an easier way to do it?

EDIT: Further research shows that this should actually be extremely easy. Fury Dionysus has Void Fire as a starting skill. Fury + Vile = Tyrant, at the right Kagatsuchi phase makes Harlot. She should have two skill slots free, and I can fill those with the special Kusi Mitama from Rag's (Void Force and Void Ice.)

9999DMG fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 4, 2012

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

9999DMG posted:

In my Nocturne playthrough, I've been doing a lot of fusing so I can finally complete the compendium. Looking through my almost-complete compendium, a question occurred to me: is it possible to create an invincible demon? That is, can you fuse a demon that takes no damage, except from Almighty attacks? I know it's possible to do this in some of the newer SMT games, (though I can only think of Persona 3 and 4 off the top of my head,) but is it possible in SMT3? Given the way the Press Turn system works, such a demon would be incredibly useful no matter what skills it had. Just having it in your party would stop most bosses cold.

It really depends on your level of sickness.

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric
The heretic mansion is really useful for this sort of thing.http://www.phpsimplicity.com/heretic/online/index.php?familyID=6
There was an .rar or .exe posted in this or the nocturne thread.
Using the skill search saved me a ton of time fusing an uber party for the late game. I can't remember if I had one completely invulnerable, but if not it didn't slow me down even a little bit.

Edit: drat, what a horus!

Xlyfindel fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 4, 2012

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:
On Day 2, and I wasn't able to save Keita. No clue what I needed to do to save them, but I saved before the battle so there's no way I can change it. Does this block me from any endings? I just don't want to be trying to get one just to find out I already screwed it up.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

kthegreat posted:

On Day 2, and I wasn't able to save Keita. No clue what I needed to do to save them, but I saved before the battle so there's no way I can change it. Does this block me from any endings? I just don't want to be trying to get one just to find out I already screwed it up.

You had to have gone to his aid ASAP. Basically ignoring everything not related to getting to him. I have no idea if it locks you out of any endings or whatever, I'm just a bit past you in Day 3.

Speaking of, how the hell do I choose who to have in my party? I kind of really want to use Jungo because he's cool, but all Strength no Agility makes him unable to use some of the best moves I've got (at the moment)... And my MC is physical so that's out. Is there anyone who specifically sticks with you most of the time, like Atsuro in DS1?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

You had to have gone to his aid ASAP. Basically ignoring everything not related to getting to him. I have no idea if it locks you out of any endings or whatever, I'm just a bit past you in Day 3.

Speaking of, how the hell do I choose who to have in my party? I kind of really want to use Jungo because he's cool, but all Strength no Agility makes him unable to use some of the best moves I've got (at the moment)... And my MC is physical so that's out. Is there anyone who specifically sticks with you most of the time, like Atsuro in DS1?

Every party member is going to stay with you for a long period of time. You'll only lose them towards the end of the game or during a Death Clip otherwise.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
So after a loss against the final phase of the last boss in DS2, I decided to say "gently caress you" to it and now every single one of my demons has Reflect Physical on it. That was expensive to do.

Unfortunately I am dumb and I don't have any movement increasing demons so hopefully this all works out anyways and I can survive that first Map Attack blast.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ok I don't know what the gently caress, I'm in day 2, made it to Osaka and everything is destroying me, I can barely hurt anything in free battles and my demons keep dying, I don't have a lot of money either so I can't buy to much.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I just did my play through of the :angel: path in Devil survivor overclocked, un-extended due to wanting macca discounts for copies of my demons so badly.

I loved the moment when Naoya reveals he is cain and wants you to hate him...Then I forgave him and said I did not hate him.
The sheer :rage: he held for me doing that...made walking the path of justice worth it. :3:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Alteisen posted:

Ok I don't know what the gently caress, I'm in day 2, made it to Osaka and everything is destroying me, I can barely hurt anything in free battles and my demons keep dying, I don't have a lot of money either so I can't buy to much.

If you're really that screwed, it might be a good idea to go back to an earlier save and get things set up better the day before.

If that's not a possibility, remember that you can run from free battles any time you can access the menu. Fuse a couple of strong demons, use them to kill one or two enemies, run away to heal, repeat. Also there is no penalty for single characters dying - as long as you can kill something, it doesn't matter if you suicide three of your characters to do it, if the fourth one is out of the enemy's reach and can run away when their turn comes up.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pharohman777 posted:

I just did my play through of the :angel: path in Devil survivor overclocked, un-extended due to wanting macca discounts for copies of my demons so badly.

I loved the moment when Naoya reveals he is cain and wants you to hate him...Then I forgave him and said I did not hate him.
The sheer :rage: he held for me doing that...made walking the path of justice worth it. :3:

It really is awesome to watch him sit there and throw the biggest bitch fit because you're being forgiving. It really does cement what a bastard Naoya is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Pharohman777 posted:

Don't forget to check his profile for a gem of understatement.

"The human reincarnation of Cain. Has a few issues as a result."