Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

SneakyCracker posted:

Apparently, the earpiece speaker on my wife's EVO Shift has died. The only way she can make a phone call now and hear the other person is by using the speakerphone. Unfortunately, this phone does not have TEP on it. Anybody know what my options are here? If all else fails, I still have my old Epic I can re-activate for her, but I'd rather not do that as I am looking to sell it.

Is such a thing even repairable, or will the phone just have to be replaced?

I had the same thing happen, same phone. I took it to a Sprint store, $35 and got a refurbished phone shipped to me because it was on backorder. I also don't have a protection plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

SneakyCracker posted:

Apparently, the earpiece speaker on my wife's EVO Shift has died. The only way she can make a phone call now and hear the other person is by using the speakerphone. Unfortunately, this phone does not have TEP on it. Anybody know what my options are here? If all else fails, I still have my old Epic I can re-activate for her, but I'd rather not do that as I am looking to sell it.

Is such a thing even repairable, or will the phone just have to be replaced?

The earpiece is attached to the LCD, so the only way (or at the least only easy way) to swap it is to swap the entire screen. Which actually isn't too hard, a sprint repair center should do that assuming they either have the part or an Evo shift to harvest the part from. The worst case scenario is they order you a replacement, which would slightly suck since that phone is backordered to hell. If they order a replacement you can have her use the Epic in the meantime.

And yes, either way $35 fee.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

IRC - Its nothing more than multiplayer notepad.
Good to know. Now, there is the little matter of the fact that the closest Sprint repair center is over an hour away from me... But I guess thats what I'll have to do. Thanks guys.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Bioshuffle posted:

Which Sprint phone has the best quality camera? Is it the iPhone 4S? It's really the only thing I care about and I'm not very satisfied with the camera on the EVO 3D. Will we see anything even close to the Nokia phone with the Carl-Zeiss lens camera on the body any time soon? I was thinking about getting a Galaxy III when it comes out. I have no idea how the math worked out, but apparently I'm already eligible for a phone upgrade despite getting the Evo 3D during launch. I'd like to stay with the android platform because I like being able to store tons and tons of media with the expandable drive.

4S camera is better than ~$100 point and shoot cameras. That's pretty loving impressive. I've never seen an Android camera that is even close to it. Also a 64GB iPhone has more storage than any Android phone with any SD card. So uh, yeah.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SneakyCracker posted:

Good to know. Now, there is the little matter of the fact that the closest Sprint repair center is over an hour away from me... But I guess thats what I'll have to do. Thanks guys.

Call them first to see if they have the part. Very likely if they don't have the part they would have to order in a replacement, which as mentioned is backordered.

Pet Stain
Dec 29, 2004

ddogflex posted:

4S camera is better than ~$100 point and shoot cameras. That's pretty loving impressive. I've never seen an Android camera that is even close to it. Also a 64GB iPhone has more storage than any Android phone with any SD card. So uh, yeah.

The 4s camera is quite good, but the Galaxy S2 camera is easily as good if you wanted to go the android route.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Pet Stain posted:

The 4s camera is quite good, but the Galaxy S2 camera is easily as good if you wanted to go the android route.
I can't find actual specs, but according to photos uploaded to flickr, the GS2 only has a f/2.7 max aperture. That's considerably worse than the iPhone 4S' f/2.0. And just looking at the pictures, they definitely don't look as good as iPhone photos.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Krakkles posted:

I can't find actual specs, but according to photos uploaded to flickr, the GS2 only has a f/2.7 max aperture. That's considerably worse than the iPhone 4S' f/2.0. And just looking at the pictures, they definitely don't look as good as iPhone photos.

The Galaxy II takes great photos, but the iPhone always does photos better.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

R.I.P. EVO Shift

Also Dan Hesse just tried to start a merger with MetroPCS, but the board said no.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

td4guy posted:

R.I.P. EVO Shift

Also Dan Hesse just tried to start a merger with MetroPCS, but the board said no.

The White Evo 3D is being EOL'd already?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

"d[-.- posted:

b"]

Probably more due to sales than actual age, though I wouldn't be surprised if its age. Contracts these days are a big "gently caress ME" sign.

E: I don't see any NS4G threads in SA-Mart, is anyone looking to sell one?

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Duckman2008 posted:

The Galaxy II takes great photos, but the iPhone always does photos better.

Is there a chance this might change with the next generation of phones? Upon reading all the responses, I'll definitely wait until the Galaxy III and iPhone 5 comes out. I just read Nokia made a 40+ MP cameraphone. Too bad there's no chance of that coming to Sprint.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bioshuffle posted:

Is there a chance this might change with the next generation of phones? Upon reading all the responses, I'll definitely wait until the Galaxy III and iPhone 5 comes out. I just read Nokia made a 40+ MP cameraphone. Too bad there's no chance of that coming to Sprint.

Yep, no Nokia phones on Sprint until Windows Phone starts selling. And who knows, HTC seems pretty intense on making great cameras but I don't know what is coming to Sprint beyond the Galaxy Nexus and the replacement for the Rumor Touch (finally).

"d[-.- posted:

b"]

The white Evo 3D was a Radioshack exclusive that stayed exclusive, it was never available in Sprint stores.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
Has anyone been able to get the SprintTV app for iPhone working? It says I have to disable wi-fi for the initial launch, but then I just get a loading indicator forever when I'm on the cellular network.

Tried it again in the evening and it worked fine.

quadratic fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 1, 2012

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Duckman2008 posted:

The earpiece is attached to the LCD, so the only way (or at the least only easy way) to swap it is to swap the entire screen. Which actually isn't too hard, a sprint repair center should do that assuming they either have the part or an Evo shift to harvest the part from. The worst case scenario is they order you a replacement, which would slightly suck since that phone is backordered to hell. If they order a replacement you can have her use the Epic in the meantime.

And yes, either way $35 fee.
It's actually on the flex cable. It's not too bad to replace, the tape holding the LCD's cable to the flex cable is kind of a pain, but the rest is easy.

The touchscreen is the worst part of that one, I almost always break the old one pulling it off.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Sprint is giving away 30 Galaxy Nexus phones.

You can enter once a day online until April 5th. If you have a phone with a touchscreen, you can play their Data Storm game at sprint.com/datastorm and get one additional entry for each day OR you can send a postcard via mail once a day for an additional entry.

The contest ends April 5th and they'll do the drawing on April 16th.

I don't know if this means the Galaxy Nexus is coming next month but if not April then maybe May.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Sprint is giving away 30 Galaxy Nexus phones.

You can enter once a day online until April 5th. If you have a phone with a touchscreen, you can play their Data Storm game at sprint.com/datastorm and get one additional entry for each day OR you can send a postcard via mail once a day for an additional entry.

The contest ends April 5th and they'll do the drawing on April 16th.

I don't know if this means the Galaxy Nexus is coming next month but if not April then maybe May.
There was something on Sprint's Twitter about the Nexus as well. I haven't seen anything on the upcoming device launch calendar, but we have a tendency to not find out about these things until a couple of weeks before the actual launch.

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009
Sucks about the discontinuation of the SHIFT 4G. It's not really that bad of a phone if you want a keyboard. :smith:

And a quick question about changing the EVO 3D's ##DATA# settings: will editing the 3G/4G options put me on roaming? I just wanted to make sure before doing anything.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I've been keeping my eye on eBay for SERO plans because I want a friend of mine to consider getting one. There's one up now but it says "You must have an existing EPRP or SERO account." I can't imagine any good reason for that, let alone imagine it would work that way. Am I missing something? Seems like it would be easier to port in.

EDIT: Also, would the LG Lotus qualify for SERO Premium or stay in the $30 bracket?

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 2, 2012

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Lovie Unsmith posted:

I've been keeping my eye on eBay for SERO plans because I want a friend of mine to consider getting one. There's one up now but it says "You must have an existing EPRP or SERO account." I can't imagine any good reason for that, let alone imagine it would work that way. Am I missing something? Seems like it would be easier to port in.

EDIT: Also, would the LG Lotus qualify for SERO Premium or stay in the $30 bracket?
I've done the SERO TOS thing. The Sprint reps are not under any circumstances allowed to "create" a "new SERO account". They may only transfer the line from one SERO account to another. That's neat that you might be able to do it if you have an EPRP account though - I didn't know that.

An LG Lotus is a dumbphone, and would absolutely work on the $30/mo SERO.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

When I got my SERO TOL'd to me from the seller on Ebay (a little over two years ago), I was on AT&T at the time. I went to a Sprint store and asked them to make me a tentative account - just a number, no plan. They said they couldn't do it without selling me a plan, but I told them I was getting a plan transferred to me. They actually looked the seller up in their system, but eventually let me proceed without a plan.

My friend is on AT&T and looking to switch. Are you saying a port-in is no longer an option, she has to have an EPRP account now? She's got my mom's old Lotus so I was hoping to bring her in the same way I did.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Chances are slim to none, yeah. They're a lot more strict about it now than they were a couple of years ago.

edit: To expand on that... One year ago, a buddy of mine was trying to do the exact same thing, selling his SERO line to someone else. They went into a Sprint store and made an account with a number and no plan, just as you described. My buddy called Employee Care literally twenty different times, but they never allowed him to do the TOL.

td4guy fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 2, 2012

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
Uhh, quick question on the 1500 Everything plan. My wife went and signed up for the plan, and I was going to get a used phone and then add it on to the plan later. We know about the $10 per line per month smart phone fee, but when I just went to activate my new device on the second line of the plan, the phone rep tried to tell me it was an additional $19.99 per month + $10.00 for the smart phone fee. This doesn't jibe with what the salesman told my wife and the what the OP said. Is this normal or did I get a mouthbreather sales rep?

Edit: I called back and got another rep and apparently they changed the way the bill was setup. Before the plan was $129.99 and came with two lines. Now the plan is $110 and comes with one line and the second line is $20, equalling the same thing.. and I am extrapolating that it's the same except that the second line is now an addon and the $20 second line isn't eligible for my 15% discount. Nice.

Ceros_X fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 3, 2012

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Your extrapolation is dead on.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ceros_X posted:

Uhh, quick question on the 1500 Everything plan. My wife went and signed up for the plan, and I was going to get a used phone and then add it on to the plan later. We know about the $10 per line per month smart phone fee, but when I just went to activate my new device on the second line of the plan, the phone rep tried to tell me it was an additional $19.99 per month + $10.00 for the smart phone fee. This doesn't jibe with what the salesman told my wife and the what the OP said. Is this normal or did I get a mouthbreather sales rep?

Edit: I called back and got another rep and apparently they changed the way the bill was setup. Before the plan was $129.99 and came with two lines. Now the plan is $110 and comes with one line and the second line is $20, equalling the same thing.. and I am extrapolating that it's the same except that the second line is now an addon and the $20 second line isn't eligible for my 15% discount. Nice.

Yeah, I need to update the OP to match sprint's nickel and dime bullshit. The plan is the same, they just changed how it reads to cut the discounts by one or two dollars. If you already had the plan it would have allowed you to break contract.

Phone reps are still unbelievably terrible at explaining anything and doing their jobs. This does not apply to any goon phone reps reading this.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, I need to update the OP to match sprint's nickel and dime bullshit. The plan is the same, they just changed how it reads to cut the discounts by one or two dollars. If you already had the plan it would have allowed you to break contract.

Phone reps are still unbelievably terrible at explaining anything and doing their jobs. This does not apply to any goon phone reps reading this.

See, this is the poo poo that makes me feel like soon that little bit of daylight between Sprint and Verizon will be shrunk to nothing.

Verizon still seems like a bunch of fuckups and in general is the mobile analogue to Comcast in terms of gently caress-the-customers shittiness, but these fine print changes to plans are definitely shooting for Silver in the bullshit olympics.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

At least with Sprint you know it's because they're desperately trying to steer the company towards profitability. Verizon, on the other hand...

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Entire Universe posted:

See, this is the poo poo that makes me feel like soon that little bit of daylight between Sprint and Verizon will be shrunk to nothing.

Verizon still seems like a bunch of fuckups and in general is the mobile analogue to Comcast in terms of gently caress-the-customers shittiness, but these fine print changes to plans are definitely shooting for Silver in the bullshit olympics.

Well, let's definitely be frank, none of the wireless companies are going to win prizes for being ethical. My personal opinion, but AT&T still takes to gold on terrible customer service. I swear they don't even try. Sprint and Verizon could both contend for silver, depending on your luck.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Well, let's definitely be frank, none of the wireless companies are going to win prizes for being ethical. My personal opinion, but AT&T still takes to gold on terrible customer service. I swear they don't even try. Sprint and Verizon could both contend for silver, depending on your luck.

I make no bones about it that the only reason I stick with Sprint is because I get unlimited data and their plans are just a bit cheaper for that unlimited. If it ever gets to the point where this is no longer true I'll most likely switch over to Verizon. As long as my unlimited is grandfathered if they switch to tiered data I'll stick with them.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Probably more due to sales than actual age, though I wouldn't be surprised if its age. Contracts these days are a big "gently caress ME" sign.
That's only if you buy an android.

Other smartphone brands seem to do okay with supporting their phones and providing updates for at least 2 years.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

My Linux Rig posted:

That's only if you buy an android.
Contracts are a PITA not matter how you slice it. I'd much rather pay "retail" (or used) for a phone and upgrade on my own timeline.

This whole $350 phone subsidy for a two-year contract at the same monthly service rate is bullshit. I'd rather pay $15 less a month and have no contract. T-Mobile is the only carrier who got this right, temporarily. I'm conflicted if their two-year contract for no subsidy but even cheaper service is a good thing or not. I suppose it is, as long as the equivalent month-to-month option exists which it no longer does.

I suppose if there's a "good" thing about contracts and subsidies, it's a convincing argument as to why manufacturers should support their devices for two years. Even though, yeah, in the Android camp, they're pretty horrible about it.

Edit: Actually, it's disingenuous to blame only Android here. Windows Phone 7 devices haven't even been on the market for two years, so that's still up in the air. Old WinMo devices definitely did not get OEM support for two years, hell they were lucky to get any upgrade at all.

Apple has been pretty good about supporting iPhones across OS revisions. Although consider that many iPhone 4 owners (particularly on Verizon where the iPhone 4 had only been on the market eight months) are pretty pissed about the Siri debacle.

WebOS is dead, and I can't really say much about BlackBerry here.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 3, 2012

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Edit: Actually, it's disingenuous to blame only Android here. Windows Phone 7 devices haven't even been on the market for two years, so that's still up in the air. Old WinMo devices definitely did not get OEM support for two years, hell they were lucky to get any upgrade at all.

Apple has been pretty good about supporting iPhones across OS revisions. Although consider that many iPhone 4 owners (particularly on Verizon where the iPhone 4 had only been on the market eight months) are pretty pissed about the Siri debacle.

WebOS is dead, and I can't really say much about BlackBerry here.
Oh, guess you're right, looks like iphone is the only smartphone brand to keep support/updates going for two years

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Anyone with a 3GS want to chime in on how your phone is running on iOS 5?

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Anyone with a 3GS want to chime in on how your phone is running on iOS 5?

At least the 3GS, a three year old phone, can still get updates.

Wonder how people with the HTC Evo 4G feel about that.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

My Linux Rig posted:

At least the 3GS, a three year old phone, can still get updates.

Wonder how people with the HTC Evo 4G feel about that.

There's an I believe fully functional ICS rom for the Evo 4G.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

big mean giraffe posted:

That's not official OEM support, silly.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

Which one? AOKP?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

My Linux Rig posted:

Oh, guess you're right, looks like iphone is the only smartphone brand to keep support/updates going for two years

I have an arrive (windows phone) and I'm curious to see what Microsoft does, they made a big deal over unified updates and phones getting updates to a certain point. I wouldn't hold my breath, but I'm waiting to see.

My only complaint with apple update wise is its pretty obvious they haven't brought Siri to the iphone 4 so they have a bigger incentive to sell the 4S.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Skeezy posted:

Which one? AOKP?
Which isn't fully functional for evo 4G at all. If I remember correctly, two of the things not working are the camera and, ironically, 4G.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

My Linux Rig posted:

Which isn't fully functional for evo 4G at all. If I remember correctly, two of the things not working are the camera and, ironically, 4G.

There are several Evo 4G ROMs with working cameras. And WiMax is a joke.