Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Rrail posted:

What is cardio (as we think of it, so running distance, biking, etc) really good for that can't be achieved through other methods? Just lift regularly and intensely. Your muscle will burn fat while you're just chillin', and if you work out correctly (to include stuff like HIIT) you are getting a great aerobic workout.

Again it's just dependent on goals. if you absolutely despise running or any forms of cardio, then do weight lifting, and vice versa if you hate lifting.

But if your goals are to run a half marathon, lifting weights and running 400M sprints probably wont get you in shape for that... Now granted, everyone's genetics are different, so there are the few choice people who have ridiculous fitness regardless of how much prior training they've had. Cross training or "training for endurance" by methods of HIIT is good to a point, and might prepare you for short bouts of exercise such as the APFT.

If you're here to lose weight/get fit, do what feels right and good. If you're here to be a body builder, lift weights, if you're here to be a pro cyclist, ride a bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
Just got back from the gym. Did legs and core for 90 minutes and then tried an 8 cycle (:20 work and :10 rest) HIIT session on the rower. I thought about doing front squats but decided against it since, as I said, it's my leg day and I was doing 4 sets of those anyways.

The HIIT was great. I don't know if it's a credit to my conditioning, but I feel like I could have gone 10 or even 12 cycles before reaching the breaking point. I was going balls out and my legs felt like they were going to detonate and embed bone fragments in my face, but I wasn't nauseous or extremely winded. I could barely walk after I was done though.

Tomorrow I'll try the squats if my legs aren't completely cramped into pretzels.

Edit: Ugh Rrail you weren't kidding. So god drat hungry aaaaaaugh

The Casualty fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 3, 2012

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

I have what might be the most important PT test I've ever taken next Tuesday. Took a diagnostic today and got a 292. Lets hope I can get to sleep early Monday at least.

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out

3rdEyeDeuteranopia posted:

I have what might be the most important PT test I've ever taken next Tuesday. Took a diagnostic today and got a 292. Lets hope I can get to sleep early Monday at least.
what's it for?

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Just looking good to other people.

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out

Just looking good to other people.
Sounds good. I'm about to graduate the career course so I'll be in the same boat in a few weeks.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

And I graduated over a year and a half ago...

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out

And I graduated over a year and a half ago...
drat dude. Brutal staff time.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Looking like another year too

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out

Looking like another year too

Jesus, what's your branch and post?

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
Hey Rrail, when your rear end gets off probation, don't forget to send me those links. I needs to Push It To The Limit (limiiiiit)

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

The Casualty posted:

Hey Rrail, when your rear end gets off probation, don't forget to send me those links. I needs to Push It To The Limit (limiiiiit)

Check you PMs

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

My Spirit Otter posted:

Check you PMs
Hey you're not Rrail... How did you know :tinfoil:

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Illuminati.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Rrail posted:

Illuminati.
Thanks for the links. I'm gonna try thrusters tomorrow. People in the gym won't know what the gently caress, lol

Phrost
Aug 21, 2004

Your martial art sucks

The Casualty posted:

Thanks for the links. I'm gonna try thrusters tomorrow. People in the gym won't know what the gently caress, lol

Thrusters rule, just make sure you've got the form down before you go balls-out with them.

Fran is such a bitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVBgKB4Gnsw

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Phrost posted:

Thrusters rule, just make sure you've got the form down before you go balls-out with them.

Fran is such a bitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVBgKB4Gnsw
:stare:
I can hardly do 7 pull ups for one set if I'm fresh, I can't even fathom that routine.

How heavy are those weights? Back when I played football our weight room had yellow 25lb. plates and black 45lb. plates I think (it's been a long time). I just remember they were all the same diameter as a standard 45lb. plate.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The Casualty posted:

:stare:
I can hardly do 7 pull ups for one set if I'm fresh, I can't even fathom that routine.

How heavy are those weights? Back when I played football our weight room had yellow 25lb. plates and black 45lb. plates I think (it's been a long time). I just remember they were all the same diameter as a standard 45lb. plate.

Are you thinking of bounce plates? Those all have the same diameter and are used for cleans and deadlifts.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

psydude posted:

Are you thinking of bounce plates? Those all have the same diameter and are used for cleans and deadlifts.
Yes. We used them for all our traditional lifts.

Phrost
Aug 21, 2004

Your martial art sucks
The guy's probably doing 95 lbs total, the female, 65.

Pinuyasha
Jun 16, 2009
I took the PFT today and totally blew it. Did even worse than last time. Turns out I dieted far too hard and lost more than I expected. Pull-ups went down from 19 to 13, push ups went down from 50 to 40, sit-ups went down from 85 to 79, and 600 meter run went from 2:10 to 2:25.

Losing 20lbs wasn't worth it at all. I hate how I keep loving this up.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
Felt like poo poo at the gym today. I think I should have made this a rest day. Did back for an hour, ended up trying 4 sets of thrusters at 75 and 95lbs to get the form right. All in all I just felt gassed too badly at the end of every single set today. I left after about an hour and tried jumping rope but quit after 8 minutes.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Well, no more minimalist running shoes for me. I'm fairly fresh off my profile for my broken big toe and I lost some range of motion in it so my foot doesn't roll as naturally anymore. It doesn't bother me if I have thicker soled shoes since they stabilize the foot, but my minimus don't so after each run my ankle and knee just end up aching from taking the impact awkwardly and rolling strangely.

Guess I'm going shoe shopping.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Hell Diver posted:

Well, no more minimalist running shoes for me. I'm fairly fresh off my profile for my broken big toe and I lost some range of motion in it so my foot doesn't roll as naturally anymore. It doesn't bother me if I have thicker soled shoes since they stabilize the foot, but my minimus don't so after each run my ankle and knee just end up aching from taking the impact awkwardly and rolling strangely.

drat, that sucks man. I love my Vibrams. Guess just go to an actual running store and get proper shoes. v:shobon:v

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I would love to try some Vibrams but the idea of walking around with toe-shoes on and the ridicule that will/should come with that keeps me from it.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Holy poo poo. I tried that 4 minute hiit work out on the last page. I did hang cleans to front squats to an over head press. Did the first 4 sets with 135, felt like hell, dropped down to 95 for the last 4 sets. Didnt really feel as awful. Think 115 will be the sweet spot next time I try this and until I stop being a baby.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hell Diver posted:

Why not just get free runs?

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

psydude posted:

Why not just get free runs?

I have some that I wore before switching to the Minimus that I can try going back to. They're 3.0s, but still have a reasonable sole on them. I went ahead and picked up some gel-soled traditional running shoes that seem to be the best route for the short term. My calves are going to hate going back to a full shoe, but I'd rather get used to running again that way and then slowly transition back down once I've gotten comfortable with any changes to my stride.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Going vegan was probably the best diet related decision I've ever made in my life. My weight is lower than it was in high school. I thought.it might make me feel run down or not be able to run as well, but we took an APFT yesterday and I improved by 20 points (265). I probably would have done better if it hadn't been so cold, my feet were numb all the way through the run. On top of that, I have crazy amounts of energy, my recovery time from workouts has decreased to almost nothing and I don't feel loving old anymore. The key is not just veganism, but adopting a whole-foods, plant based diet. Vegan junk food is still junk food. I'm tweaking my workout slightly, but if I could come off of leave and take three weeks and get my best APFT ever, I'm hoping with a month of solid diet and training under my belt I can add another 20 points.

If you're still skeptical but have an open mind, I highly recommend "The China Study" by Dr. T. Colin Campbell. It is probably the most comprehensively written book on nutrition I've ever read, and quite mind-blowing. I was skeptical too, but I think I might be a believer. Semper Plants.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Going vegan was probably the best diet related decision I've ever made in my life. My weight is lower than it was in high school. I thought.it might make me feel run down or not be able to run as well, but we took an APFT yesterday and I improved by 20 points (265). I probably would have done better if it hadn't been so cold, my feet were numb all the way through the run. On top of that, I have crazy amounts of energy, my recovery time from workouts has decreased to almost nothing and I don't feel loving old anymore. The key is not just veganism, but adopting a whole-foods, plant based diet. Vegan junk food is still junk food. I'm tweaking my workout slightly, but if I could come off of leave and take three weeks and get my best APFT ever, I'm hoping with a month of solid diet and training under my belt I can add another 20 points.

If you're still skeptical but have an open mind, I highly recommend "The China Study" by Dr. T. Colin Campbell. It is probably the most comprehensively written book on nutrition I've ever read, and quite mind-blowing. I was skeptical too, but I think I might be a believer. Semper Plants.

I don't think I'll ever be able to give up meat or dairy or eggs (well, egg whites) but I do try to live as gluten-free and vegetable-heavy as possible and the overall change in how I feel is rather remarkable compared to my days of eating fast food or meat + starch with every meal. Granted its been rather easy to get used to. Half my family is vegetarian and I always had well-prepared and varied veggies on my plate growing up. Some of my friends are straight up disgusted by anything green. I pity them while I smash my soybean quinoa medley and roasted asparagus.

I just like steak, sushi, and cheese too drat much to forego them. Granted I eat those in strict moderation, but a world without treats like that is a world I do t want to live in.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I don't know about eggs, but dairy is probably the worst. Once I gave up dairy I started slimming down dramatically. Also, in "The China Study" milk proteim was what dr. campbell used tp give rats cancer. funnily enough, he had actually set out to prove the opposite (that milk protein was good for you). Then he discovered that the group of rats given the high doses of milk protein invariably gave the rats cancer. It's a seriously mind-blowing book.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm just gonna stick to eating foods with a low caloric density. I was a vegetarian once and the inconvenience just isn't worth it.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Anyone else here ever try the paleo diet? I'm currently on day two of it so far, and have almost no problems with hunger or complete cravings of sugars....yet...

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I don't know about eggs, but dairy is probably the worst. Once I gave up dairy I started slimming down dramatically. Also, in "The China Study" milk proteim was what dr. campbell used tp give rats cancer. funnily enough, he had actually set out to prove the opposite (that milk protein was good for you). Then he discovered that the group of rats given the high doses of milk protein invariably gave the rats cancer. It's a seriously mind-blowing book.
I only eat cottage cheese with any regularity. I sub it on salad instead of dressing here on base because the dressings they provide all have high fructose corn syrup and loads of saturated fat.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MurderBot posted:

Anyone else here ever try the paleo diet? I'm currently on day two of it so far, and have almost no problems with hunger or complete cravings of sugars....yet...

The couple of people I worked with who were on this the most intolerable fucks I've dealt with in years. That's my only experience with it. It seems to attract the most moronic frat-boy types. Good luck.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Yikes, intolerable fucks just by personality or the whole "oh you're eating grains? yeah let me tell you something about what grains do to you" guys.

I'm just participating in it for hopeful added benefits to my athletic performance. I am in no way a hater of carbs or dairy for that matter.. Some might say I love dairy....

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The Paleo people seem to be the same type as the crossfit people. They feel that every other option is so totally inferior that they have to let you know about it constantly.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Oh, so don't be that guy.. Yeah I'm pretty sure I can do that.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

A Bakers Cousin fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MurderBot posted:

Yikes, intolerable fucks just by personality or the whole "oh you're eating grains? yeah let me tell you something about what grains do to you" guys.

Both. The one on my shift constantly gave people poo poo about eating bread and rice. gently caress YOU BUDDY THE SUSHI HERE IS AWESOME :mad: