Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

DaWolfey posted:

A background agent that checks your bookmarked threads for new posts would be just the best thing. The live tile could show number of new posts since last read.

Background polling of the forums is a strict "don't do it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
The number of times I click refresh on the control panel page in a day, a background agent would actually work out using less resources!

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
Really like the proposed icon!

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

I have a billion ideas for live tiles, but as the giraffe said, no polling. :(

I think I request pages while browsing normally more than once every 30 minutes, which is the polling frequency for the background agent...

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

bootleg robot posted:

To everyone who has been sending crash reports directly to me, it's been a big help -- Thanks!

I whipped this up in a couple of minutes on photoshop. Yay or nay?

You're welcome - I just recently got my phone back from service and I must've sent you a couple of reports either today or yesterday when the app was somehow stuck in a loop of prompting errors whenever I tried to navigate the forums. Did you catch that, or should I try and reproduce it somehow?
Also, yay on the new tile.

Maybe in regards to live tile functionality something can be worked out with whoever makes those decisions?

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Badly Jester posted:

You're welcome - I just recently got my phone back from service and I must've sent you a couple of reports either today or yesterday when the app was somehow stuck in a loop of prompting errors whenever I tried to navigate the forums. Did you catch that, or should I try and reproduce it somehow?
Also, yay on the new tile.

Maybe in regards to live tile functionality something can be worked out with whoever makes those decisions?

I've fixed that one, among others. Release 1.10 should be available to download soon, and 1.11 will include the new icon and a small graphic fix.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Horizontal Viewing is on the outs in 1.11. It was a stop gap until vertical reading was finished, and I doubt if anyone prefers it.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Something like this is more visually appealing.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

obeyasia posted:

Something like this is more visually appealing.

I like it! Send me the .png and I'll post a preview.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bootleg robot posted:

I like it! Send me the .png and I'll post a preview.

Send it where?

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

obeyasia posted:

Send it where?

kollasoftware at gmail

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

1.10 should be available to everyone within 24 hours. Version 1.11 has been submitted to the Marketplace, and should be available several days from now. Notable changes in 1.11 include:

• New icon -- sticking with what I posted earlier, as I have some ideas...
  • No more horizontal viewer.
  • The reply text box now shifts down accordingly as users input text.
  • Removing bookmarks will actually remove them from the User CP.
  • The ability to send crash submissions via email is enabled when users enable debug mode. Otherwise, the app will try to recover from unknown errors on its own.

Cheers!

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

1.10 is available now, updated the OP.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Really impressed with how far you've taken this app. In the beginning, I actually still preferred using the browser, but at as of a couple of versions ago, I can't imagine browsing the forums from my phone any other way.
I gave 1.10 a quick lookover, and it seems the "about this app..." screen still contains info on how to use landscape mode.

As for the moving debugging e-mails to the debugger, well... I realize this might sound :tinfoil:, but problems with my phone randomly rebooting either started or intensified (my memory is so loving hazy) once I enabled the debugger and encountered problems on a beta build. I know, there's a gajillion other reasons why my phone might have been acting up (several hard resets have fixed it, so far) and I'm certainly not blaming you - I volunteered to be in a beta, afterall. But for the sake of my :tinfoil: mind, would you mind giving me your opinion whether the debugger is actually even capable of messing with a phone in that way?

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Badly Jester posted:

Really impressed with how far you've taken this app. In the beginning, I actually still preferred using the browser, but at as of a couple of versions ago, I can't imagine browsing the forums from my phone any other way.
I gave 1.10 a quick lookover, and it seems the "about this app..." screen still contains info on how to use landscape mode.

As for the moving debugging e-mails to the debugger, well... I realize this might sound :tinfoil:, but problems with my phone randomly rebooting either started or intensified (my memory is so loving hazy) once I enabled the debugger and encountered problems on a beta build. I know, there's a gajillion other reasons why my phone might have been acting up (several hard resets have fixed it, so far) and I'm certainly not blaming you - I volunteered to be in a beta, afterall. But for the sake of my :tinfoil: mind, would you mind giving me your opinion whether the debugger is actually even capable of messing with a phone in that way?

Sure. :) I'm away from a computer, so I won't elaborate too much (will edit this post later) but long story short, the "debugger" simply writes error messages to a file when the app closes. It's not a separate process at all, so I highly doubt your issues are related to it.

Horizontal viewing remains in 1.10, it's gone in 1.11.

EDIT:

The following examples are just simple illustrations. The actual code is a lot more elaborate. So, throughout the code I generate log messages during certain events. For example,

code:

void PostReplyAsync(string reply) {

if (DebugModeEnabled == true) 
 {
   // write the following message to the log file //

Logger.Append("Posting a reply to the current thread."); 
 }

// code to send the reply goes here //

}

When you move the Debug Mode slider to On, all that does it set DebugModeEnabled to true.

In 1.10, The Unknown Error crash reports work as follows:

code:
try 
{
 // this code runs every time you start Awful //

Awful.Start();
}

catch (Exception error)
{
  // if we got here, an error happened while the application was running //
  // send an email to 'kollasoftware@gmail.com', subject 'Unknown Error', and error message as the Body //

SendEmail("kollasoftware@gmail.com", "Unknown Error", error.Message);
}
In 1.11, all that changes is

code:
catch (Exception error)
{
  // if we got here, an error happened while the application was running //

if (DebugModeEnabled == true) {

// send an email to 'kollasoftware@gmail.com', subject 'Unknown Error', and error message as the Body //

SendEmail("kollasoftware@gmail.com", "Unknown Error", error.Message);
 }
}
So if users notice erratic behavior, they can enable debug mode and send me the crash data.

I hope this makes sense. I prefer explaining things without resorting to simple code examples, but I figured illustrating it here would better put your mind at ease.

bootleg robot fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 26, 2012

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I really love this update. I just hope that the tile/icon changes with theme color.

Also the emoticon tile is great, but isn't the SA icon a grenade?

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Dead Man Posting posted:

I really love this update. I just hope that the tile/icon changes with theme color.

Also the emoticon tile is great, but isn't the SA icon a grenade?

Yep, the tile changes with theme color. This app is unofficial, so I felt it prudent not to use the official icon. :v:

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Its not like the admins will ever use WP7. I'll start a thread in QCS to ask if this app can be official in the WP7 platform if you want that status.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

Dead Man Posting posted:

Its not like the admins will ever use WP7. I'll start a thread in QCS to ask if this app can be official in the WP7 platform if you want that status.

You can try but I remember the Awful App on Android got shot down for use of the icon.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Doomsday Jesus posted:

You can try but I remember the Awful App on Android got shot down for use of the icon.

Really? I wonder why. I mean the Steam SA Group has a grenade. Goonfleet logos have one. Pretty much anything SA related outside the site. Hmm.

Oh well the grenade thing isn't a big deal, I like the icon/tile.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Thanks, I appreciate the detailed explanation - it does set my mind at ease. I'd figured it was just bad timing, but there was nothing else sticking out that would have caused the problems at the time, either. :iiam:
Anyway, glad to hear the new tile will change color.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

The ability to create threads using the app is in the works; currently thinking of a nice way to choose thread icons.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Browsing a giant-rear end thread on the phone made me realize that I miss the ability to only view the OP's posts. Is there any chance you could ever get that to work?
Also, today I found out that - while I certainly don't miss the horizontal viewer - having access to the horizontal keyboard when typing long replies might be a good idea.
As for the thread icons: I think a good old pull-down menu might do the trick (if you can actually get the icons to show up in it), but I guess that's not exactly a 'nice way'.

Edit:

bootleg robot posted:

Working on it!
Sweet.

bootleg robot posted:

Unlock the view first before replying. :)
Oh, my bad! How is this going to be handled from 1.11 onwards?

vvvv

Badly Jester fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 28, 2012

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Badly Jester posted:

Browsing a giant-rear end thread on the phone made me realize that I miss the ability to only view the OP's posts. Is there any chance you could ever get that to work?

Working on it!

quote:

Also, today I found out that - while I certainly don't miss the horizontal viewer - having access to the horizontal keyboard when typing long replies might be a good idea.

Unlock the view first before replying. :)

quote:

As for the thread icons: I think a good old pull-down menu might do the trick (if you can actually get the icons to show up in it), but I guess that's not exactly a 'nice way'.

I have a good idea, will post a preview soon!

SilverThread
Jun 18, 2004

Kick the Emo
App is great, but am I blind, or is TCC missing?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

SilverThread posted:

App is great, but am I blind, or is TCC missing?

I think he had to remove TCC to get it past Microsoft certification, but bootleg robot can confirm I guess.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Maneki Neko posted:

I think he had to remove TCC to get it past Microsoft certification, but bootleg robot can confirm I guess.

Yeah, I had to blacklist TCC. I added the ability for users to jump to any forum with a valid ID in the next release :shh:

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Badly Jester posted:

Edit:

Sweet.

Oh, my bad! How is this going to be handled from 1.11 onwards?

vvvv

I missed your edit. In 1.11, the app will automagically unlock the view for you when the reply window is open.

1.11 was rejected to a bug that I missed, so the bad news is that it's going to be another couple of days before it reaches you guys. The good news is that I've merged the changes in 1.12 with 1.11 so you'll get a bunch of features earlier, like:

• Threads you've visited are now available offline.
  • New icon
  • Browse forums by forum id
  • Create new threads
  • Filter threads by poster

Things left to do:

• Platinum stuff

Since I don't have platinum, these won't be implemented until...I get platinum. :v: I'll upgrade sooner or later, no worries. In the meantime, feel free to post any feature requests, and I will see what I can do.

OHIO
Aug 15, 2005

touchin' algebra

bootleg robot posted:

• Create new threads

Did you test this or are you just a baller developer?

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

OHIO posted:

Did you test this or are you just a baller developer?
My webform-fu is strong!

As far as testing goes, I have two (legit) OPs drafted for QCS. Gonna make em count. So not fully tested yet.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
I love this app. It has made so much progress over such a short period of time.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

bootleg robot posted:

My webform-fu is strong!

As far as testing goes, I have two (legit) OPs drafted for QCS. Gonna make em count. So not fully tested yet.

Are there any catches to it like grabbing the unique key needed for posts?

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Ferg posted:

Are there any catches to it like grabbing the unique key needed for posts?

I would have responded sooner, but I wanted to be very sure. You need the unique key.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Next release is looking really smooth. All that's left to do is implement a 'preview thread' section when creating a new thread. I'm thinking 1.11 should be available to everyone two weeks from now at the latest.

I should mention that there is a strict limitation on how much text you can type in a text box before you can no longer see what you're typing. I don't forsee any megathread creations in this app's future :v:

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bootleg robot posted:

Next release is looking really smooth. All that's left to do is implement a 'preview thread' section when creating a new thread. I'm thinking 1.11 should be available to everyone two weeks from now at the latest.

I should mention that there is a strict limitation on how much text you can type in a text box before you can no longer see what you're typing. I don't forsee any megathread creations in this app's future :v:

Things are working great. Better and better. The only issue in running into is when it's taking me to the last unread post it way overshoots everytime and I have to scroll up 4-5 posts to get back to the real last unread post.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

obeyasia posted:

Things are working great. Better and better. The only issue in running into is when it's taking me to the last unread post it way overshoots everytime and I have to scroll up 4-5 posts to get back to the real last unread post.
Do you have smooth scrolling enabled? If so, then disable it. The function that performs the scrolling and the local jQuery functions in the app aren't playing nicely.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Good night, goons. :unsmigghh:

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bootleg robot posted:

Good night, goons. :unsmigghh:

Looks great, keeps getting better. It's awesome that the WinPho app is better than the IOS/Android app.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Has it been submitted yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Dead Man Posting posted:

Has it been submitted yet?
As of Monday. Should be available next week, if all goes well.

• Locked thread