Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

DagPenge posted:

Any thoughts? I am not even sure if this is the place to ask for optimization advice, but i can post the complete progression if somebody is willing to help me.
How high level is your campaign going to get? If you're starting around first level, it's going to be a very long time before fighters stop being at the very least useful. And taking rogue and shadowdancer mean you won't be going pure fighter, anyway.

The big problem isn't even that fighters are too weak, but that the main caster classes just outshine everyone else. At higher levels, well-built fighters are still great at performing their function (bashing the poo poo out of things with damage), but the problem is that by that point, full casters are great at performing every function even when they're not necessarily well-built.

Also, if your GM is tailoring encounters to your group makeup and no one is trying to play like an adversarial wargamer or trying to spotlight every session, it likely won't become a problem until very late levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DagPenge
Jun 4, 2011

Looks like our civilians are fine, thank god for the capitalist spirit!
We are stating at level one and will be playing the Jade Regent adventure path, I doubt that someone will be grabbing the spot light though, since we have a Archer/Two handed weapon Ranger, Marshall (or whatever that teamwork feat bard thing from adv. players is called), another fighter with flail/towershield and either a oracle or a diviner depending on what the last guy will play.

So i guess i shouldn't really worry.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

DagPenge posted:

We are stating at level one and will be playing the Jade Regent adventure path, I doubt that someone will be grabbing the spot light though, since we have a Archer/Two handed weapon Ranger, Marshall (or whatever that teamwork feat bard thing from adv. players is called), another fighter with flail/towershield and either a oracle or a diviner depending on what the last guy will play.

So i guess i shouldn't really worry.

A well-built oracle or diviner should be able to blow the rest of the party away in terms of usefulness. Most people peg the arrival of third-level spells as the point where full casters really take off. That said, I've seen way more suboptimal casters than optimal ones, so it may not be a problem at all. Of the other characters, the ranger is the one most likely to compete for your skirmish-oriented niche as it sounds like he's going switch hitter. He'll very likely do more damage than you will if you're relying on the indicated feats.

Do you want commentary on your build? I'm usually up for rules chat. Spring Attack is just awful for damage. It's only really good if you can make that lone attack something special; it could work as a trip delivery method. Tripping doesn't scale too well with level, but is pretty solid at low levels and against humanoid-type monsters (e.g. medium bipeds). I seem to recall a way to double dip on dexterity for your trip CMB, which you might want to look into (Fury's Fall, maybe? Probably requires a finessable weapon. I don't feel like looking it up right now. Sorry!). Vital Strike ain't great mainly because you can't combine it with anything, relegating it to the single move + attack situation.

Short answer: How useful you are is going to depend on your teammates (I'd mostly be concerned about the full caster) and who you fight (as above, you'll do best against humans and similar).

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
From a pure power perspective, I'm an advocate of the dex fighter. Especially with levels of rogue added in.

A high dex opens up the two-weapon fighting tree, increases your AC, your CMD, and a feat can add it to your CMB. You are hampered a bit by only getting one attack on the initial charge, but once you get to open up with full attacks you will pretty assuredly rip things to bits. You do get a leg up in that you can 5-foot step after any attack, including before your second, that way if your first attack kills your target you have a better chance of reaching another enemy.

All you really need is a dex of 16, to boot, allowing you to buy up to 14 and spend the rest of your points on strength for bonus damage or into int or cha for skills/social fighter builds.

Very easy to be level 1 with +4 to hit, 17 AC rolling 2d6+4(using a claymore), then at level 2 you start dual-wielding to roll 1d8+1d6+3/2d6+3 for long/short sword, critting on 19-20 to boot.

At higher levels it can be debated whether it is better to go str or dex, but with your role as trap-finder, consider the +3 to reflex saves you'd get going dex.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Tactical Bonnet posted:

You do get a leg up in that you can 5-foot step after any attack, including before your second, that way if your first attack kills your target you have a better chance of reaching another enemy.
Also, get the feat Step Up. It allows you to use your 5-foot step to follow someone who tries to use theirs to get away from you. What this means, in practical terms, is that if you get in a caster's face, no matter what they do, they're either going to need to roll a concentration check, or risk taking an attack of opportunity.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Tactical Bonnet posted:

From a pure power perspective, I'm an advocate of the dex fighter. Especially with levels of rogue added in.

A high dex opens up the two-weapon fighting tree, increases your AC, your CMD, and a feat can add it to your CMB. You are hampered a bit by only getting one attack on the initial charge, but once you get to open up with full attacks you will pretty assuredly rip things to bits. You do get a leg up in that you can 5-foot step after any attack, including before your second, that way if your first attack kills your target you have a better chance of reaching another enemy.

All you really need is a dex of 16, to boot, allowing you to buy up to 14 and spend the rest of your points on strength for bonus damage or into int or cha for skills/social fighter builds.

Very easy to be level 1 with +4 to hit, 17 AC rolling 2d6+4(using a claymore), then at level 2 you start dual-wielding to roll 1d8+1d6+3/2d6+3 for long/short sword, critting on 19-20 to boot.

At higher levels it can be debated whether it is better to go str or dex, but with your role as trap-finder, consider the +3 to reflex saves you'd get going dex.
Well, TWF fighting has a lot of investment costs(two good weapons, a source of bonus damage, finesse, the feats themselves) and opportunity troubles(even at early levels you're dependent on standing still and swinging), which might outweigh the benefits.

Maybe if you could get strength based TWF to work(like using a ranger to qualify), but generally risky if you're not very sure of what you're doing.

Medium Dex(say 14 or so, more is good, but you don't want to sacrifice a more crucial stat) Polearm fighting is a bit more flexible, since up till you get your iterative attacks, you can make use of combat reflexes to take advantage of the reach and unleash more attacks than you normally can, plus theres the multiplier on strength and power attack bonuses.

Not too feat intensive either, you have Combat Reflexes, Power Attack, and then you expand into other things like Cleave(the basic Cleave is useful enough for getting two attacks while you move, but its unusual to find more than two foes adjacent, so the upgrades are less useful) and Stand Still(stopping them from moving through your reach)

If you have the Int for it, you can then go into the somewhat more feat intensive stuff like the Trip chain(Combat Expertise->Improved Trip->Greater Trip), or since your party has an above average number of martial types(with painful AoOs) the Drag/Reposition chain(Improved Drag->Greater Drag->Quick Drag or the Reposition equivalents) where you tow them around the battlefield and they take AoOs from your allies.
If you qualify, Riptide Assault(Trip AND Drag, if you somehow manage to have that many feats) or Steady Engagement(Stand Still AND Trip).

Main perk is its relatively easy to play, since whatever range you start at, you can close in, start by sweeping them off their feet and then keeping them there. Once some magic hits the table, you might want to pick up a source of Enlarge to get even more reach and strength.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

One thing to note is that Weapon Finesse will apply to a CMB check made through a finessable weapon. Thus, if you really want to trip, you can use a whip (a trip weapon) with Weapon Finesse to replace Str with Dex and add Fury's Fall to add Dex a second time. This is without needing Agile Maneuvers. Combine with a one-handed ranged weapon and fedora to pretend you're Indiana Jones.

DagPenge
Jun 4, 2011

Seems like there are some interest in helping me, so I'll post my full character.

The only books allowed so far are: Players handbook and Adv. players handbook
Also our group has a high level of coordination, especially with the other fighter and the Cavalier/bard/Battle Herald or whatever he'll end up being.

Here is the basic of my character in level one:
Yes i know my Wisdom is low and that my will save will suck, the reason i got spring attack, is that i already need dodge and mobility for Shadow Dancer, so it's just one feat more, which could be usefull in some situations, especially with trip or vital strike.
I am planning on getting all the mobility skills and disable device, maybe some social ones as well since Jade Regent is build on NPC interaction, atleast according to the players guide.

Also some of the feats might not be the most optimal, i think the version i have here is before the last round of optimization.

Think i should make a TWF version and see how it measures up? Maybe one using a shield as a 2nd weapon for maxium feat usage?

Race: Human
Stats: (25 point buy)

Str: 18
Dex: 15
Con: 14
Int: 14
Wis: 8 #Done for roleplaying reasons, could move the 14 in int down to 13 and have a wisdom of 10
Cha: 10

Favorite class: Fighter (skill point)

Skillpoints:
Climb 1, Survival 1, Swim 1, Acrobatics 1, Disable device 1, Stealth 1
Traits: Armor Expert, Reactionary

AC: 18 (5 Armor, 2 Dex, 1 Dodge)
Attack: Guisarme +5 (+1 BAB, +4 Str) 2d4+6

Equipment:
Guisarme 9gp
Scalemail 50gp
Crossbow, light 35gp
Quiver, bolts 10 x2 2gp
Chakram x3 3gp
Gauntlet, spiked 5gp

Here is the complete plan so far:

Levels:
Fighter 1 Feat x3 - Dodge, Combat Expertise and Improved Trip
Fighter 1/Rogue 1 Sneak attack +1d6, trapfinding
Fighter 2/Rogue 1 Feat x2 - Power attack, Weapon Focus, bravery +1
Fighter 3/Rogue 1 Armor training 1
Fighter 4/Rogue 1 Feat x2 - Mobility, Weapon specialization
Fighter 4/Rogue 1/Shadow Dancer 1 Hide in plain sight Need Combat Reflexes, Dodge and Mobility feats, 5 ranks of stealth and 2 ranks perform (dance)
Fighter 4/Rogue 1/Shadow Dancer 2 Feat - Spring attack, Evasion, darkvision, uncanny dodge
Fighter 4/Rogue 1/Shadow Dancer 3 Rogue talent - Greater trip, shadow illusion, summon shadow
Fighter 4/Rogue 1/Shadow Dancer 4 Feat - Vital strike, shadow call, shadow jump 40ft
Fighter 4/Rogue 1/Shadow Dancer 5 Defensive roll, improved uncanny dodge
Fighter 4/Rogue 1/Shadow Dancer 6 Feat, Rogue talent, shadow jump 80ft
Fighter 4/Rogue 1/Shadow Dancer 7 Slippery mind
Fighter 4/Rogue 1/Shadow Dancer 8 Feat - Tripping Strike, shadow jump 160ft, shadow power
Fighter 4/Rogue 1/Shadow Dancer 9 Rogue talent
Fighter 4/Rogue 1/Shadow Dancer 10 Feat - Improved vital strike, Improved evasion, shadow jump 320ft, shadow master
Fighter 5/Rogue 1/Shadow Dancer 10 Weapon training 1
Fighter 6/Rogue 1/Shadow Dancer 10 Feat x2, bravery +2
Fighter 7/Rogue 1/Shadow Dancer 10 Armor training 2
Fighter 8/Rogue 1/Shadow Dancer 10 Feat x2
Fighter 9/Rogue 1/Shadow Dancer 10 Weapon training 2

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
The biggest thing you should consider is which one you would enjoy playing more. Are you more likely to enjoy the quick "stabstabstabstab" style of the TWF or the single swings for huge numbers/trips with the polearm.

In a full-attack scenario the TWF will do higher damage/round, but if you're stuck moving all the time the polearm will serve you better for getting things into attack range and all that good stuff.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Do Not Tank Your Stats For Roleplaying Reasons

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib
Or if you do at least tank something like CON that you can make up for with feats and opting for the favored class +1hp/level.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

some loving LIAR posted:

Or if you do at least tank something like CON that you can make up for with feats and opting for the favored class +1hp/level.

This is also incorrect, feats are a super valuable, limited resource. Tank your stats if you gotta tank your stats, but it should always be a tactical consideration and not one of "MY CHARACTER IS IMPULSIVE SO HE'S NOT VERY WISE"

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Taking -1 WIS to get an additional +1 INT on a fighter/rogue isn't really a stat "tanking" that's going to make a very large difference either way. Personally I'd probably go with the 13/10 rather than 14/8 (or 13/8/12 for more CHA), but since neither of them are even remotely primary stats, it's really up to a player's discretion.

It's not like he's deliberately making a stupid wizard, or an ugly bard, or something.

e: v Yeah, I'm pretty much agreeing with you.

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 2, 2012

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Taking -1 WIS to get an additional +1 INT on a fighter/rogue isn't really a stat "tanking" that's going to make a very large difference either way. Personally I'd probably go with the 13/10 rather than 14/8, but since neither of them are even remotely primary stats, it's really up to a player's discretion.

It's not like he's deliberately making a stupid wizard, or an ugly bard, or something.

Right, which is why I'm not telling him to change it, I'm just saying make the choice for character building reasons.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Or at least admit to making the choice for character building reasons. Its OK to do so. If it was not OK then your GM would have asked you to use a point-buy system that does not allow dump-stats. A good GM will allow you to make role play choices regardless of your ability scores, with ability scores merely representing a mechanical impact upon your chosen intent (in this case a 5% penalty on Will saves, Sense Motive, Perception, etc). You should be able to RP your character as sagely or as foolhardy as you like, with the numerical WIS score representing their performance when the rubber meets the road. Coming up with justifications for a character who is role-played as sagely but has a low WIS score can be a fun exercise - perhaps an overconfidence in their own intuition leads them to make hasty judgements, or perhaps their wisdom is so slow in forming that they are always having their insights after-the-fact.

This distinction between role play choices and mechanical choices often comes into play with another dump-stat, CHA. When a player with a CHA penalty is attempting social interaction, I let players say whatever dialogue they like, with CHA serving as a guideline to how well received they are and related skill checks representing the delivery of their desired expression. Many times a player in one of my games who has dump-stated CHA will find themselves in a diplomatic situation and the player will devise an air-tight well-reasoned and persuasive argument in favor of their character's position. I still make them roll a Diplomacy check to see how well the character delivered the intended dialogue (and conversely a high CHA character might deliver some ridiculous rhetoric so well as to be persuasive). If the GM is not putting you into situations where the mechanical value of your WIS or CHA are important to the outcome of the story then that is effectively a validation of your choice to use them as dump-stats.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

I guess enough people have talked about stats that I don't need to. You might consider grabbing a Will save trait if you keep the low Wis.

Did I miss the part where you actually meet the requirements for Shadowdancer? Skills should be easy enough, but where is Combat Reflexes?

Note that you cannot combine Spring Attack and Vital Strike. VS only works on standard action attacks, which Spring Attack doesn't give. You can combine Spring Attack and trip, though. This is probably the only thing making Spring Attack useful to you.

I probably wouldn't bother with a TWF build. They tend to be sufficiently feat-intensive that can't do much else; I'm also inclined to believe Tactical Bonnet is overselling TWF's DPR advantage, which requires nontrivial time and investment to attain. I would check out the combos veekie mentioned earlier. You might also check out teamwork feats. Several of them could be quite useful to a well-coordinated melee-heavy group if others play along.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Interesting, Pathfinder's version of Spring Attack fucks up the combo where as the base SRD spring attack is totally compatible with vital strike.

edit: Generally speaking TWF is good when you can stack damage bonuses that come from classes and not weapons (because weapons are expensive). Rogue sneak attack, Ranger favored enemy, the Complete Warrior dervish with dancing bonuses if we're talking all of 3.5. Pathfinder may have some fighter options that make it compelling for a fighter too, I'm less familiar with it. Shadowdancer lacks the kind of damage stacking option that makes TWF scale well

Danhenge fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 2, 2012

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Pathfinder Fighters get multiple instances of "Weapon Training", a class feature which gives a cumulative +1 bonus to attack and damage when using any weapon of a certain category. It is effectively a "free" and transferable weapon enhancement. This can be particularly effective with TWF as it reduces the need to find two level-appropriate weapons and by level 9 counters the penalties for feated TWF.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Paolomania posted:

Pathfinder Fighters get multiple instances of "Weapon Training", a class feature which gives a cumulative +1 bonus to attack and damage when using any weapon of a certain category. It is effectively a "free" and transferable weapon enhancement. This can be particularly effective with TWF as it reduces the need to find two level-appropriate weapons and by level 9 counters the penalties for feated TWF.

Mmm, looking at the progression I'm not totally convinced the base fighter really scales quickly enough to be all that great. Rangers might not really do all that well either, tbqh. I'm mostly familiar with Archery rangers who can stack something like Holy/Sacred/Bane Evil Outsider and pick up Favored enemy Undead and Evil Outsider and basically tear it up at high levels, because what else are you gonna fight? Maybe dragons, but ehhh.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

You are absolutely right about scaling. I myself make up for it by throwing extra skill and fate points at martials as well as using a free-form combat mechanic that effectively allows full-attacks, dragon slams and flurry-of-combat-maneuvers as standard actions. Still not single-action win buttons, but fun options at least.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

I probably wouldn't bother with a TWF build. They tend to be sufficiently feat-intensive that can't do much else; I'm also inclined to believe Tactical Bonnet is overselling TWF's DPR advantage, which requires nontrivial time and investment to attain.

I don't think I'm overselling it, in my experience(3 pathfinder campaigns since the system came out), TWF builds are consistently better at sub level 5. Some more levels invested in rogue can stretch that out a few more levels, especially in a game with other melee to trade teamwork feats with. After that, casters are going to render you both useless in this game full of completely optimized characters, which is why my ultimate suggestion was to play the one he likes because you can argue about which kind of fighter is better all day.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
yeah all of these things are true but we're talking about a guy who has a high level build planned out in what sounds like a standard Pathfinder game, so I'm going to give him advice on how to scale the least awfully

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Ok, if you're dead set of Shadowdancer heres what you can do.
Since Combat Reflexes, Dodge and Mobility are non-negotiable, you might as well take advantage of them, Combat Reflexes strongly favor a reach weapon, as does Spring Attack(because otherwise you'd be provoking a ton of AoOs yourself.

Starting Stat Array:
Racial bonus: Str of course, its your damage source.

Str 16+2 Racial
Dex 14 - You do not have anything that needs higher than this.
Con 14
Int 14
Wis 10 or 8
Cha 10 or 12
Sure, will saves are low, but its a known weakness in a build that requires many ability scores. Note that Shadowdancer abilities use charisma for saves, you MIGHT want to trade Wis for Cha and rely on stealth to avoid being hit by will save effects. Can't target you if they can't see you.
Next, you don't get a whole lot from multiclassing rogue, but you do lose BAB, which for many feats, is crucial in your early levels. If you must, go Ninja instead, since the ki abilities work off a similar foundation to shadowdancer abilities.

Option 1:
Fighter 6/Shadowdancer 10/Ninja 4
Feats:
1- Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Power Attack - This suite gives you staying power at the earliest level. You hit hard(+3 to damage for a negligible loss of to-hit), and can regularly get 2 attacks per round if they want to close in on you.
2 - Combat Expertise
3 - Improved Trip(Note, if you use a polearm? you don't really need this yet for most enemies, they can't reach you, therefore no AoOs)
4 - Stand Still - to finish the lockdown schtick
5 - Mobility - Just to finish prereqs
6 - Spring Attack
7 - Whirlwind Attack(Might as well, since you're here, plus its spectacular with trip)
9 - Greater Trip
9th(Talent) - Fast Stealth
11 - Felling Smash(Your first hit each round now come with a free trip on top of damage AND if they are tripped, you get an AoO to boot)
12th(Talent),13,15, 15th(Talent), 18 - At this point your core combat strategy is largely complete, and you should adapt based on what kind of foes your group faces.
Options:
Damage - Weapon Focus/Specialization for per-hit damage, as well as AoO improvement. Exotic Weapon Proficiency if you can find a suitable weapon for it. Vital Strike is terrible(+2d4 to only one attack for a feat is not good unless you have size increases or a really large base dice to work with)
Diversifying tricks - Pick up one of the other combat manuever stuff, like Reposition, and go Improved->Quick->Greater so you can do them in addition to the basic control strategy. They are slightly underleveled at this point though.
Teamwork - With a martial heavy party, teamwork feats can go a LONG way.

This route is straightforward. Firstly, Shadowdancer has 3 feat requirements, and no class feature requirements. You can qualify directly with Fighter levels alone, which keeps your BAB high so you can qualify for the combat feats you need at the early levels. You enter shadowdancer a level late, BUT, you get to the BAB+6 feat from the feat chains and also have Weapon Training to make your damage potential keep up better. Finally, Shadowdancer provides all the class skill bonuses you'd want anyway, so rogue becomes largely redundant.
Remember Shadowdancer gives no direct improvements to melee offense ability, so you'd need to do it all with your feats. OR you can just completely wreck their formation and trust to the party to deal with the enemies who are unable to move anywhere.
Strategy wise, you would not be constantly Spring Attacking, but doing more of a mixed option. Shadow Conjuration is a very useful opening move(e.g. Shadow Conjuration(Create Pit)) to screw up your opponents, followed by Spring Attacking INTO the midsts of your opponents, baiting them to mob you. Once they do, you use Whirlwind Attack to take them down and keep them there. You are effectively a living fireball, but remember if they get past your reach you are as tender as anyone else.

Equipment wise, priority to strength enhancement, weapon enhancement and dex enhancement, in about that order.

Option 2 replaces the feat heavy fighter option with ninja levels, relying on ki pool powers and a higher charisma(you'd want 14 in Cha for this) than straight out strength and brawn. Its more complicated to use, the basic idea is creative Shadow Conjuration application, along with using ki invisibility to get sneak attacks, especially with the shadow companion in tow. If you're interested I can assemble a sample array.

veekie fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 3, 2012

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
So, apropos of mostly nothing, am I the only one who just loves the poo poo out of the Alchemist class from the APG?

Paizo's done a few questionable things (their staff sniping at 4e every now and again has seemed to be in bad taste), but this class was, like, made for me. When I was playing PF with my friends back in 2010 before I moved to Oregon, I loved the hell out of playing one. Science-based powers (and maybe just a little bit of cray-zay) in a magical setting just tickles every funny bone I have. It's almost enough to get me to seek out an online group or something, despite my terrible record for sticking with PbP or whatnot.

Also, I was surprised at an earlier post where one guy insisted on using like six books to run a PF game; I can't even think of what all those splatbooks would be, as Paizo has shown a fairly impressive amount of restraint with splat inflation. At most you would need, what, the Corebook, the APG and Bestiary 1? I guess you could throw in Besitary 2 and 3 if you aren't good about making monsters for yourself, but that doesn't strike me as necessary. Since no "GM guide" is required, what else was he trying to throw down?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

SpaceDrake posted:

what else was he trying to throw down?
Ultimate Magic, Ultimate Combat?

DagPenge
Jun 4, 2011

veekie posted:

Helpfull stuff
Thank you veekie, you have alot of valid points, which i'll looking into, also that Whirlwind Attack trick is pretty good. But without you i wouldn't have spotted it.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
What are the kick rear end 2nd level wizard spells? I'm restricted to Core, and looking down the list, Web seems good, but everything else seems very meh.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Acid Arrow isn't too bad if you need some firepower (though early on you'll want to use 2nd level spells for utility), Glitterdust can be very handy, Continual Flame is great for spelunking, Scorching Ray is seriously ouch, Command Undead can make for some hilarious comedy, Bull's Strength will give your melee boners, and standard Invisibility has a lot more utility than you might initially think, even with the 'fade on action' bit.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
I am about to play my first inquisitor. Our party is a druid, sorceror, ranger(don't know yet if he's going to be ranged or two weapon), and my inquisitor.
What is some basic pointers I should consider with an inquisitor? This is the first time with this DM and he is a tactical player, whereas the other DMs in our group have played more towards role playing. I have been gaming for just about a year now so I am doing some leg work to really try to up my power playing this time out.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

SpaceDrake posted:

Acid Arrow isn't too bad if you need some firepower (though early on you'll want to use 2nd level spells for utility), Glitterdust can be very handy, Continual Flame is great for spelunking, Scorching Ray is seriously ouch, Command Undead can make for some hilarious comedy, Bull's Strength will give your melee boners, and standard Invisibility has a lot more utility than you might initially think, even with the 'fade on action' bit.

See Invisibility is a handy one to have, although you probably don't need to load it desperately at your level - consider it as a slot (or a scroll) once you have third level spells. Protection from arrows, flaming sphere (good action economy, if you've got a good spot to burn your move action from in addition to casting other spells), False Life is another good one although that's another spell that you might want to wait until you're a little higher level for.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I bought the Pathfinder Core book today. Man is it dense.

What I'm sayin' is, someone run a babys first Pathfinder game.

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I bought the Pathfinder Core book today. Man is it dense.

The core rulebook is so big that whenever I handle it I feel like the bindings are going to collapse. I suppose that's what you get when you cram what in 3.5 was divided into the Player's Handbook and Dungeon Master's Guide, though.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Ulta posted:

What are the kick rear end 2nd level wizard spells? I'm restricted to Core, and looking down the list, Web seems good, but everything else seems very meh.

Glitterdust effectively ends encounters if it lands. If you can position Web correctly, you've probably ended an encounter, as the casters can't see through it to cast their spells and anyone who needs 2 hands to do anything (i.e. swing a gently caress-off Greataxe) can't take that action. You split the encounter with it so that you're just mopping up as soon as you deal with whoever wasn't webbed.

In the current game I'm playing in, I just cast either of these and then Acid Splash until the encounter is over.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

Glitterdust effectively ends encounters if it lands. If you can position Web correctly, you've probably ended an encounter, as the casters can't see through it to cast their spells and anyone who needs 2 hands to do anything (i.e. swing a gently caress-off Greataxe) can't take that action. You split the encounter with it so that you're just mopping up as soon as you deal with whoever wasn't webbed.

In the current game I'm playing in, I just cast either of these and then Acid Splash until the encounter is over.

Glitterdust isn't quite the game ender in Pathfinder that it was in base 3.5 since the affected get a save every round

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Danhenge posted:

Glitterdust isn't quite the game ender in Pathfinder that it was in base 3.5 since the affected get a save every round

That's definitely true, but you can jack up your save DC so high that most beefy monsters around levels 3-5 have a really low chance to break out of it. Right now with Spell Focus and Greater Spell Focus my DCs are 20 vs. Will, so most of the monsters that you want blinded will need a 17 or 18+.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I'm making an inquisitor for a new game and have no experience with the class. Any tips on build? What can I expect from the class as a whole?

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker

Cocks Cable posted:

I'm making an inquisitor for a new game and have no experience with the class. Any tips on build? What can I expect from the class as a whole?
I just asked the same question. Hope to get a good answer.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

In case you guys don't follow the homebrew thread, fosborb did an analysis of my single-roll full-attack mechanic for d20 systems that shows just how closely it estimates the original rules, even with stuff like two-weapon fighting factored in. Very cool to know if you don't want to be rolling dice all night!

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

What are considered the go-to Traits for a melee build? Two-handed barbarian, if that matters. The DM of the game I'm about to join said we get two, and I'm not familiar with them at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
Reactionary is +2 init, which is awesome for a trait bonus, but you can't pick another combat trait if you do that.

I'm a total whore for acting first, though.