Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Goddammit. I'm stuck at the last battle of DS1. Anyone have any tips for beating Babel doing Atsuro's route?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Goddammit. I'm stuck at the last battle of DS1. Anyone have any tips for beating Babel doing Atsuro's route?
For the first form, just Holy Dance it to death with a high magic user, or Pierce + strong physicals. Second form always starts off weak to Electricity, so have your MC(if he's magic based) or someone like Amane or Yuzu already where the boss will be and tear into him with Elec Dance powered by Amp/Boost and give them demons with the same setup. You should be able to kill him before he gets his first turn that way.

Devil Survivor 2 Day 7 spoilers: Hahahaha gently caress You Atlus, Null Human, seriously?

Axle_Stukov fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 4, 2012

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.
Well, I'm about to play Devil Survivor 2. Any tips you guys can give me?

I'm at the first demon fight and I'm really scared where I should distribute my stats. I don't want to get Beldr'd again...

Edit: I just distributed the points into Vit and Mag. Did I do the right thing??

Dogbutt fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 4, 2012

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Axle_Stukov posted:

For the first form, just Holy Dance it to death with a high magic user, or Pierce + strong physicals. Second form always starts off weak to Electricity, so have your MC(if he's magic based) or someone like Amane or Yuzu already where the boss will be and tear into him with Elec Dance powered by Amp/Boost and give them demons with the same setup. You should be able to kill him before he gets his first turn that way.

Funny thing is that I was doing that anyways, I just didn't attack the first form fast enough and wasted time on the spawning demons from the consoles. After tossing Victory Call on my MC so I wouldn't run out of MP, I aced it. Time to play DS2!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Dogbutt posted:

I'm at the first demon fight and I'm really scared where I should distribute my stats. I don't want to get Beldr'd again...

There's nothing along the lines of punching Beldr to death, so you don't need to worry about that. Fights are harder in general though, in my opinion at least, but you can mitigate that a fair bit come Tuesday. It's possible to pick up a fair few late game skills from one boss then if you use Skill Crack correctly.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Dogbutt posted:

Well, I'm about to play Devil Survivor 2. Any tips you guys can give me?

Edit: I just distributed the points into Vit and Mag. Did I do the right thing??

You might want to put a few points in agility beacuse I think some of the elemental void skills require it.

It's really tempting to get too attached to that sweet demon you made with a bunch of useful skills, but if it starts dying in one or two shots from common parties replace it by fusion even if the skill set of the next demon isn't as good.

[e] Oh, learn Recarm as soon as possible. It may not be obvious, but you can even revive dead party leaders next to the caster.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 4, 2012

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You know the biggest thing I'm noticing in DS2 is that the enemies seem buffed.

I mean unless they changed something, everything seems to take a lot less damage, like enemies with a low ma stat taking little damage from magic even though in DS1 it could practically one shot them.

In a similar manner, even with a high ma stat every spell seems weaker.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Axle_Stukov posted:

Devil Survivor 2 Day 7 spoilers: Hahahaha gently caress You Atlus, Null Human, seriously?

I love how broken the skills are in Devil Survivor. My Mc is pretty much immortal beacuse he is resistant to all damage and gets health from physical.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Axle_Stukov posted:

Followed by What, you thought that was his only gimmick? HAHAHAHAHA.

Dogbutt posted:

I just distributed the points into Vit and Mag. Did I do the right thing??

I wouldn't bother with Vit on a mage, outside what you need to equip the skills you want. You may want some speed, but generally, I recommend cramming the vast majority of your points into magic until you max it, because you can do hilarious amounts of damage that way.

Really, if you've played the first game, you shouldn't have too much trouble with the sequel.

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 4, 2012

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Well, in my experience days 1-6 of DS2 were easy... but day 7 is just killing me.
(Unlike that, DS1 had difficulty spikes all over for me..)

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ahh, the end of Day 3 in DS2 is just mean. I barely knocked out Ronaldo, had one character left and just had to go for him and leave his demons. Then another Starman smashes through the ceiling. I gave him a drat good thrashing though, as most of my teams ended up with at least a heavy hitter in Magic or Strength. He recombined a lot , I guess that was probably because every time he split I managed to whack one of them before they got any turns, when whichever one it was that was still alive would instantly recombine.

Just going along with a Magic MC so far, got three Dance skills so far, then I can recharge with Blood Wine from an Angel and then recharge the Angel's Health with a Jack Frost. Works pretty well. And the Angel has Force Dance and the Frost has Ice and Elec Dance, with MC having Ice, Elec, and Fire, so I can pretty much hit any weakness apart from Physical, which I haven't seen much of yet.

McDragon fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 4, 2012

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Alteisen posted:

You know the biggest thing I'm noticing in DS2 is that the enemies seem buffed.

I mean unless they changed something, everything seems to take a lot less damage, like enemies with a low ma stat taking little damage from magic even though in DS1 it could practically one shot them.

In a similar manner, even with a high ma stat every spell seems weaker.

I'm pretty sure that Vitality applies to both physical and magic defense rather than it being split between Vitality and Magic like the first game. Other than that I haven't really noticed a difference in damage.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.
Well just got to Merak on Day 2. Everyone Died and now I'm really scared.

P.S. Please don't tell me I'm the only one who thinks Daichi is pretty terrible as a character and battler.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Dogbutt posted:

P.S. Please don't tell me I'm the only one who thinks Daichi is pretty terrible as a character and battler.

I thought this at first, but then he drove a loving truck into the exploding demon. After that, I can't hate him. Also, Joe seems much, much worse in a fight. His damage has always been the lowest of any of my characters.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Momomo posted:

I thought this at first, but then he drove a loving truck into the exploding demon. After that, I can't hate him. Also, Joe seems much, much worse in a fight. His damage has always been the lowest of any of my characters.

That's cause he's all magic and agility.

So I'm at day 3, I have a battle but I'm all alone, I assume I should just leave this for a new game+?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Alteisen posted:

That's cause he's all magic and agility.

So I'm at day 3, I have a battle but I'm all alone, I assume I should just leave this for a new game+?

Regarding "that" battle, I was able to handily kill all of the supporting demons on my own. Though after that Ghost Q basically says "gently caress this" and runs away. I tried attacking Ghost Q while there was still one supporting demon team left, and he utterly demolished me before I could even get close enough to attack him, taking multiple turns until I was dead, with no chance for retaliation. So I imagine it's mostly New Game+ material?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Alteisen posted:

This is definitely doable your first time, because I did it. The leader ran away, but I was still able to kill everything else. Just go on the southeastern path and take each demon on one-by-one. Near the end you might be getting attacked by two, but it shouldn't be that bad.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Dogbutt posted:

I don't like Daichi.

If you need help against that boss:

Blind Sally posted:

Playing Devil Survivor 2. The boss on Day 2, Merak , was really giving me trouble until I realized I should ignore his missiles and the other demons, and just rush him - killed him in one try after that.

If anyone else is having trouble on that boss, I also noticed a few other things are helpful:

-Regarding the two demons, Moh Shuvuu and Tenong Cut, kill their support but not the leaders. They keep respawning otherwise.
-Regarding the Merak Missiles, having a Toubyou with Evil Wave and attacking from afar prevents the missiles from "Guarding," making them so much easier to kill.

UselessLurker posted:

Also, don't end turns in front of him unless you really feel like making the fight tougher than it needs to be. Animal Leg demons make the fight pretty trivial.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Momomo posted:

This is definitely doable your first time, because I did it. The leader ran away, but I was still able to kill everything else. Just go on the southeastern path and take each demon on one-by-one. Near the end you might be getting attacked by two, but it shouldn't be that bad.

Yeah I did that as well, but it doesn't "count" unless you actually beat Ghost Q. If you do that, you can fuse him afterwards; making him rout doesn't give you that possibility.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's possible to do it the first time. There are a number of second-playthrough-only demons who show up who are very clearly NG+ stuff, but that boss just involves abusing your abilites. It's a huge pain in the rear end for relatively little reward tho'. I believe you can get Joe on your team by telling him to come with you after talking to him, making it a little easier.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.

Momomo posted:

I do admit, that act of bravery was pretty rad. Also Joe is actually really good if you give him the right set up.

Another thing I forgot. How many endings are in this game anyway?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Dogbutt posted:

I do admit, that act of bravery was pretty rad. Also Joe is actually really good if you give him the right set up.

Another thing I forgot. How many endings are in this game anyway?

6, I believe.

Ronaldo
Yamato
Daichi 1
Daichi 2
Daichi True
Anguished One

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
Just got to Day 5 and... really? Seriously? :shepicide:

find someone sexy? are you kidding me.

UselessLurker fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 5, 2012

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

6, I believe.

Ronaldo
Yamato
Daichi 1
Daichi 2
Daichi True
Anguished One

Are there seriously 3 Daichi ends? That's kind of odd.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

6, I believe.

Ronaldo
Yamato
Daichi 1
Daichi 2
Daichi True
Anguished One

You've got this wrong. There are only two Daichi endings.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

UselessLurker posted:

Just got to Day 5 and... really? Seriously? :shepicide:

find someone sexy? are you kidding me.

It gets worse.

Having my hopes that the writers had shame being gradually dashed as I tried the list of potential non-creepy candidates was a terrible experience.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Honestly I don't see a better ending than the Ronaldo ending, because since Polaris can make out humanity however he wants, and he makes it out so that everyone helps everyone else, that sounds like utopia to me after all... That may just be my personal opinion though.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

You've got this wrong. There are only two Daichi endings.

Good to know, I guess. Less New Game+ing for me.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Cake Attack posted:

It gets worse.

Having my hopes that the writers had shame being gradually dashed as I tried the list of potential non-creepy candidates was a terrible experience.

I was hoping, at least, that one would be a serious business type where you could basically just go 'sheesh, we need a girl to act sexy because demons are loving weird or something, could you do me a solid here' but nooooooooooope.

oh are you loving making GBS threads me the 'right' answer is that. :pedo:

UselessLurker fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 5, 2012

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

UselessLurker posted:

I was hoping, at least, that one would be a serious business type where you could basically just go 'sheesh, we need a girl to act sexy because demons are loving weird or something, could you do me a solid here' but nooooooooooope.

oh are you loving making GBS threads me the 'right' answer is that. :pedo:

the actual scene was a lot better than the lead up led me to believe but yeah... gross as hell. Why not just use Hinako for both? she's barely wearing anything!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Dogbutt posted:

He becomes extremely good with late-game physical skills (except against reflect physical enemies); of course I imagine other physical-build characters are comparable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cityinthesea posted:

Honestly I don't see a better ending than the Ronaldo ending, because since Polaris can make out humanity however he wants, and he makes it out so that everyone helps everyone else, that sounds like utopia to me after all... That may just be my personal opinion though.

It's a utopia as long as you're okay with the fact that nobody will ever be able to advance through their own merit, no matter how hard they try. Some may find that a utopia but to others it would be a hell. It's basically equivalent to a Law ending. Everything is better, as long as you don't mind being under total control and having no freedom.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

What happens in the Daichi True ending anyways. I assume it's the token everything goes back to how it used to be one?

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

It's a utopia as long as you're okay with the fact that nobody will ever be able to advance through their own merit, no matter how hard they try. Some may find that a utopia but to others it would be a hell. It's basically equivalent to a Law ending. Everything is better, as long as you don't mind being under total control and having no freedom.

Well yeah if it was just them being able to create a complete egalitarian utopia in the real world, but they changed the dispositions of human nature itself with Polaris so everyone would be super happy whether they would actually dislike it or not; and yeah it's probably the law ending but it's probably the most positive spin on a law ending, especially following Strange Journey which was the worst (admittedly I never got the law ending [azume?] from DS1 so I dunno how well that one went)

I suspect that Yamato's ending would make it so that everyone is super psyched to live in a meritocracy too I suppose but in that one you would have people who wouldn't be able to compete.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

What happens in the Daichi True ending anyways. I assume it's the token everything goes back to how it used to be one?

Everything goes back to how it used to but, but things are clearly changed and people retain some element of their memory of what happened before. Anyone you saved is therefore less of a dick, including Yamato and such. Also Ban's father is alive and part of the police force again.

Cityinthesea posted:

Well yeah if it was just them being able to create a complete egalitarian utopia in the real world, but they changed the dispositions of human nature itself with Polaris so everyone would be super happy whether they would actually dislike it or not; and yeah it's probably the law ending but it's probably the most positive spin on a law ending, especially following Strange Journey which was the worst (admittedly I never got the law ending [azume?] from DS1 so I dunno how well that one went)

I suspect that Yamato's ending would make it so that everyone is super psyched to live in a meritocracy too I suppose but in that one you would have people who wouldn't be able to compete.

Well, like I said, it's positive as long as you're okay with humanity-wide brainwashing and control. Most of the endings have some form of downside, and in this case, it seriously is the fact that you've turned over all of humanity to be rewritten.

Myself, if I had to pick a "best" ending, it would probably be The Anguished One, where humanity is freed from control entirely and allowed to choose to build their own society free of outside interference. But that's an ending which also sacrifices the comforts of control and so I can see people finding it unhappy since it's basically destroy the world to remake it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 5, 2012

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
For some reason it's still more palatable than Strange Journey's interpretation of the law ending, dunno why... maybe it was because everyone in Strange Journey was an rear end in a top hat.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Everything goes back to how it used to but, but things are clearly changed and people retain some element of their memory of what happened before. Anyone you saved is therefore less of a dick, including Yamato and such. Also Ban's father is alive and part of the police force again.

Ah, thank you. Saves me the trouble of replaying it.

I wonder if Atlus will churn out Devil Survivor 2: RELOADED or something for the 3ds in a year or two that adds some extra content and B grade voice acting.

.....I'd probably still buy it actually :negative:

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Just starting playing Devil Survivor 2. Have one annoyance: Why are they using the "Evil Policeman" sprite for any and all policeman interactions? Come on, make at least one new sprite =(

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
Is there a Devil Survivor 2 thread yet? Lots of spoilers on this page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Dragongem posted:

Just starting playing Devil Survivor 2. Have one annoyance: Why are they using the "Evil Policeman" sprite for any and all policeman interactions? Come on, make at least one new sprite =(

I find it funnier to just think of the dude as a massive douchebag who's smirking at everyone's obvious misfortune.