Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

tooooooo bad posted:

That'd be great. Kazvall has hosted our weekend Doom sessions in the past but he hasn't posted in this thread for a few pages so he might be busy with other stuff now.

I can make more people officers in the Classic Games group if they're interested in organizing more events. I've been busy with other commitments lately, but I was considering doing a Tribes 2 goonrush on Goon Haven night sometime soon (technically not pre-2000, but way easier to get set-up and way more active than Tribes 1).

Just hit me up with a PM here or on steam if you or someone you know wants to schedule/host events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Sunday Doomday? Count me in. Fill me in on proper files, I can host. I need a break from all these new games.

Also I always check this thread and I can host while at work or anytime the need comes up. Could we even maybe use a mod rotation script?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

:pcgaming:BRUTAL DOOM 0.15 IS LIVE!:pcgaming:
http://www.skulltag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=26904
Get it, tear it, rip it :black101:

Frag Man
Sep 2, 2011

Guillermus posted:

:pcgaming:BRUTAL DOOM 0.15 IS LIVE!:pcgaming:
http://www.skulltag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=26904
Get it, tear it, rip it :black101:

This is great. Really like the new grenade launcher! Also, have I always been able to curbstomp crawling zombies?

Edit: I'm dumb and don't read update notes.

Frag Man fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Mar 3, 2012

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

RyokoTK posted:

Yeah that's something you see in multiplayer stuff, which is a lot more tolerable to me than big artificial obvious walls boxing you in. That's been in BF games since the beginning.
I dunno, I just find it jarring. The first online console FPS games I played were Gears of War and Halo 3, neither of which had that feature. I guess I'm just used to having total freedom to explore maps even in multiplayer games.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

There seems to be some kind of audio bug with newer GZDoom builds and Brutal Doom - the torches make this staticy, constant crackling noise. This really sucks in maps with a bunch of torches.

Hopefully either GZDoom or the mod will update to fix it. I've also seen floating/dancing gibs a couple of times already.

Other than that (v15a will hopefully be out soon to address those bits), it's a great update. I like the tweaks to the minigun. Primary fire is now accurate in short bursts but has cooldown, but the altfire allows you to run and gun all day with no spin-up or spin-down but with a base accuracy penalty. It feels more intuitive.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

So a while ago I bought the Star Wars Dark Forces/Jedi Knight pack and I just got around to playing Dark Forces. I was wondering if there's like an unofficial patch or a source port or something. I don't mind the graphics, really it's just the mouselook that's bugging me. The Steam thread pointed me to the XL Engine which is kinda a sourceport of Dark Forces. Only problem is I guess the code for DF was never released, so this guy has been reverse engineering it. Which is awesome for him, but apparently the AI on some enemies isn't done and the last boss fight doesn't work. I don't want to play through most of the game only to be stuck on the last fight and not be able to finish. So I'm wondering if there's a way to enable full mouselook; a mod, a config file, something. DOSBox has a key mapper but I can't figure out how to map keys to the mouse, which seems weird. Any help would be appreciated.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
I thought I'd played Heretic (I guess the ": beyond heretic" part of Hexen is what stuck in my head) but I'm discovering it now for the first time and holy poo poo. I just did E1M6-The Cathedral and the whole level was like a highlight reel of my favourite things about Doom. This game rocks.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Brutal Doom 15a just got released, fixing a few little issues. Still hasn't done anything about the torch sound glitch, which makes some maps painful to play. Anyone know what file in the Brutal Doom PK3 is the 'torch crackling' noise, so I can delete it? Or what file controls how often it plays in-game?

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Dominic White posted:

Brutal Doom 15a just got released, fixing a few little issues. Still hasn't done anything about the torch sound glitch, which makes some maps painful to play. Anyone know what file in the Brutal Doom PK3 is the 'torch crackling' noise, so I can delete it? Or what file controls how often it plays in-game?
While this isn't an issue for me since I am using zDoom/Skulltag, I did at least find this for you.

TNT1 A 0 A_Playsound("props/redfire")

I am still looking for the file itself, but at least it is a clue I guess.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Thanks - it's an incredibly lame solution by someone with no programming or Doom modding experience, but I just made a quick-fix version with all 'playsound' lines removed from the Torches info file.

Here it is.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

'Kazvall's Brutal Goon Doom' test server is up.

68.191.35.119:10666

I can host anything you guys want. Just tell me files and the order to load them. Otherwise it's brutal doom for awhile.

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

I'm just a clown in the eyes of the world :(

Humerus posted:

So a while ago I bought the Star Wars Dark Forces/Jedi Knight pack and I just got around to playing Dark Forces. I was wondering if there's like an unofficial patch or a source port or something. I don't mind the graphics, really it's just the mouselook that's bugging me. The Steam thread pointed me to the XL Engine which is kinda a sourceport of Dark Forces. Only problem is I guess the code for DF was never released, so this guy has been reverse engineering it. Which is awesome for him, but apparently the AI on some enemies isn't done and the last boss fight doesn't work. I don't want to play through most of the game only to be stuck on the last fight and not be able to finish. So I'm wondering if there's a way to enable full mouselook; a mod, a config file, something. DOSBox has a key mapper but I can't figure out how to map keys to the mouse, which seems weird. Any help would be appreciated.

I played through Dark Forces last year and got acceptably good mouselook by using GlovePIE (http://glovepie.org/glovepie.php) and the following in a script:

PageUp = delta(Mouse.DirectInputY) < -5
PageDown = delta(Mouse.DirectInputY) > 5

So, the game already has X axis mouselook, and look up and look down are on PageUp and PageDn, strangely. This script makes your mouse input simulate pressing those keys, and in practice it actually works pretty well. You can change the numbers there to manipulate the sensitivity, and change which values are used to flip the inversion of the Y axis.

You can add more things to this script as needed, since all the controls in DF are hard-coded. I think I made the right mouse button emulate "R", since "R" was used for secondary fire.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Join Watts, he's playing Final Doom all alone.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Join Kazvall's server, there's people (me!) playing right now :dance:

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Kazvall's Wolf3d Tacticool Squad

68.191.35.119:10667

Kazvall's Goon Trek (Star Trek wad)

You might have to join the other wolf3d server to get the files needed.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 4, 2012

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Kazvall posted:

Kazvall's Wolf3d Tacticool Squad

68.191.35.119:10667

Kazvall's Goon Trek (Star Trek wad)

You might have to join the other wolf3d server to get the files needed.

What do I run to sign into one of these? I think I'd like to check out the Star Trek wad :)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Fun Final Doom games and secret hunting on Wolf3d!

Kazvall there's a Skulltag 0.98e version just in case you want to update your server. Skulltag.com has 0.98d and Skulltag.net has 0.98e :iiam:.

Ah, didn't notice the alpha thing sorry.
\/\/\/\/

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 4, 2012

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

http://bearlyconnected.sytes.net/list.php

GO HERE IF YOU NEED SOME WADS, LIKE THE TREK ONE.

WTF, skulltag98e???? (oh, it's an alpha release, no thanks)

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Thanks to Kazvall for putting up his servers. Myself and a couple other guys took down Hitler, and I tried that Star Trek wad out a bit (nothing too special, everyone looks like spock and grunts are replaced with Borg).

Also, it's the first time I ever used Skulltag, and I'm glad I have it now. I'll jump into games more often, on the weekends.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Yeah the trek wad is pretty bad, haha.

Suggestions, dudes?

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011
How about some Brutal Doom Doom The Way ID Did co-op?
Load order shouldn't matter since the maps are vanilla.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

blakyoshi posted:

How about some Brutal Doom Doom The Way ID Did co-op?
Load order shouldn't matter since the maps are vanilla.

Your wish is my command.

Kazvall's Brutal Doom

Wolf3d server still up, 68.191.35.119:10667

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Kazvall posted:

Your wish is my command.

Kazvall's Brutal Doom

Wolf3d server still up, 68.191.35.119:10667

drat it, I wish I didn't have to get to bed. That sounds awesome.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Some assault maps would be fun too, though I don't know any good ones, I've only played the ones that came with Skulltag.

edit: Also, Return of the Triad, the full conversion for GZ/Zdoom of Rise of the Triad has 11 co-op maps now along with the deathmatch, maybe someone could host that sometime too! http://www.elzee.co.nz/return-of-the-triad-tc/

QwertySanchez fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 5, 2012

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

QwertySanchez posted:

Some assault maps would be fun too, though I don't know any good ones, I've only played the ones that came with Skulltag.

edit: Also, Return of the Triad, the full conversion for GZ/Zdoom of Rise of the Triad has 11 co-op maps now along with the deathmatch, maybe someone could host that sometime too! http://www.elzee.co.nz/return-of-the-triad-tc/

Return is excellent. It's visually stunning and full of great shoot-em-up gameplay. I wasn't initially sold on the changes to ankh coins and fielding a full arsenal of explosives but the maps are balanced around it, so thumbs up to ludicrous powerups. The final boss fight is loving brutal, though.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Chinook posted:

drat it, I wish I didn't have to get to bed. That sounds awesome.

I didn't go to bed. It WAS awesome. (and is!) Join up. :)

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Yeah, there is one lonely goon in there now, give him some company.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

This ROTT tc is pretty awesome. If you have never played ROTT I highly recommend trying this TC out or finding a copy of the original. I have my CD laying around somewhere, its an excellent game. Lots of crazy weapons, great humor, awesome music, and very maze like levels. I do remember the levels in ROTT being somewhat long and kind of hard but its been a while since I tried playing through it.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Another good mod to try might be Ghouls World.

Basically it's Ghouls Forrest, only with more different ghouls, several maps, co-op skulltag in mind. oh yeah, and without the seizure enducing screamer style assaults on your senses. If anyone here's watched Spike and Barley, they should know what sort of thing to expect.

Ghouls world!

edit: seems to have vanished off the face of the internet, I'll have to find somewhere to upload mine. It's 20mb and my upload speed is slooowww, so I'll put up a link a little later.

editedit: Crabadonk! http://www.mediafire.com/file/bcooq2rvrz8lxcr/ghouls_world_b9.wad

QwertySanchez fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 5, 2012

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

QwertySanchez posted:

Another good mod to try might be Ghouls World.

Basically it's Ghouls Forrest, only with more different ghouls, several maps, co-op skulltag in mind. oh yeah, and without the seizure enducing screamer style assaults on your senses. If anyone here's watched Spike and Barley, they should know what sort of thing to expect.

Ghouls world!

edit: seems to have vanished off the face of the internet, I'll have to find somewhere to upload mine. It's 20mb and my upload speed is slooowww, so I'll put up a link a little later.

editedit: Crabadonk! http://www.mediafire.com/file/bcooq2rvrz8lxcr/ghouls_world_b9.wad

Downloaded it. Hit me up on Steam, maybe we can figure out how to set up a Skulltag server, since Kazvall's isn't running.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Chinook posted:

Downloaded it. Hit me up on Steam, maybe we can figure out how to set up a Skulltag server, since Kazvall's isn't running.
Have at it!

Spooky Ghoul Zone: 64.121.215.235:10666
Brutal Doom 15a w/ DTWID: 64.121.215.235:10667

Dukka fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 5, 2012

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I love you goons, I've put more hours on Doom since the latest Brütal Doom update than on Space Marine, Saints Row 3 and Skyrim together :allears:.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Dukka posted:

Have at it!

Spooky Ghoul Zone: 64.121.215.235:10666

Is this no longer up, or am I doing something wrong in Skulltag? I started to type the IP into the search box to filter it down, and your IP isn't on there. Worked for Kazvall's server, yesterday. Only way I know how. :)

Nevermind, figured it out.

edit: holy crap, Brutal Doom 0.15a is great on Skulltag. Dominic White and Dukka are in there right now, and it's hard to find switches because they are covered in so much gore.

Chinook fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 5, 2012

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Thanks Dukka for runnin this poo poo. I can't host with my router, cause, it's a piece of poo poo. When my friends come over it's a no skulltag zone. Sadness.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Kazvall posted:

Thanks Dukka for runnin this poo poo. I can't host with my router, cause, it's a piece of poo poo. When my friends come over it's a no skulltag zone. Sadness.
It isn't a problem and I'll keep these running pretty much 24/7 unless I decide to spend a few hours hating all of you. Feel free to suggest stuff as well.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

If you keep these doom servers up, I'm going to start hosting heretic wads and class megawads, together. God, it's gonna be great. Give me a couple days to figure out how to make heretic the best it can be. At certain times I like it more than doom. We'll never see anything like BrutalHeretic, but I can try.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Are you guys using Skulltag or GZdoom? Goon Doom sounds like fun.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

r1ngwthszzors posted:

Are you guys using Skulltag or GZdoom? Goon Doom sounds like fun.

It's skulltag.

As far as suggestions, Dukka, maybe we could check out that RoTT TC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Dukka posted:

Is this still what it says it is? I'm using skulltag .98d, DTWID, and Brutal .15a and it keeps saying level authentication failed.

I run in single player and its definitely DTWID and Brutal Doom together...