Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
My gut instinct is to go with beer being worse for you. Both will make you equally fat, and alcohol chews up your liver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Rent-A-Cop posted:

A can of Budweiser and a can of Coke have the same number of calories. So the question comes down to whether caffeine or alcohol is worse for you.

Sugar or alcohol, you mean. Coke is absolutely loaded with sugar.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Whack posted:

Overall, what's worse for you soda or beer?

Beer helps you forget, soda makes you more awake.

Soda is so, so much worse.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

Gravity Pike posted:

My gut instinct is to go with beer being worse for you. Both will make you equally fat, and alcohol chews up your liver.

I agree with you, but Coke isn't too nice for the kidneys, either, is it not? I thought that if you drank a lot of pop, you were more prone to get kidney stones.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Doesn't refined sugar have similar effects on the liver as alcohol? Like less dramatic but still there.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Medikit posted:

I'm presenting an article on Monday and I want to learn to say this dutch name correctly:

The author's full name is Roderick F. A. de Lind van Wijngaarden

I am presuming his entire last name is "de Lind van Wijngaarden"

I'm guessing the first part is simply "de lind von"

Is the second part "weengarden"? with a really hard "ah" sound at the double a?

Native dutch speaker here.
You're correct about the last name. 'an' in 'van' is pronounced like 'un' in 'bun' (depending on your accent I guess) and 'wijngaarden' : 'ijn' is pronounced like 'ine' in 'wine'. I'll try to put up a recording later. On my phone right now.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

RaoulDuke12 posted:

What sort of computer do you have (as in mac/pc)? Obviously there are combination VHS/DVD burner decks that could be had for a pittance. Those are simple enough; most of them are one push buttons to copy and don't require a computer at all. You end up with a playable DVD with your VHS footage on it.

My mistake, I should have specified - I have a PC (dual core 2.?Ghz and 4G RAM) and a VCR. What I want to do is transfer some guitar instructional videos that are each about 60 minutes long. There are several adapter cables to go from RCA connectors to USB on Amazon, but the reviews on the software are pretty mixed. Some of the reviews mention that the audio and video gets out of sync and that's one of my main concerns.

I'm really a novice when it comes to this type of thing. I'm just looking for an easy way to transfer those tapes to MPEG or DVD so I can watch them on my computer instead of dragging out the VCR whenever I want to see them.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Medikit posted:

I'm presenting an article on Monday and I want to learn to say this dutch name correctly:

The author's full name is Roderick F. A. de Lind van Wijngaarden

I am presuming his entire last name is "de Lind van Wijngaarden"

I'm guessing the first part is simply "de lind von"

Is the second part "weengarden"? with a really hard "ah" sound at the double a?

Here's the sound.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

stubblyhead posted:

Here you go. Sure looks like a roach to me though.

Thank you good sir.

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lástima

Samopsa posted:

Here's the sound.

You are awesome. Thank you. My presentation is tomorrow.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Medikit posted:

You are awesome. Thank you. My presentation is tomorrow.

You're welcome, sir. Remember that some eurogoons have their own language threads, like the Dutch. Might come in handy someday!

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

Crossposting.

So my Lenovo t500 just crashed, and now when trying to boot I get error 2100, can't initialize hard drive. Two questions. Obviously I need a new hdd, what kind of hard drive do I need? Slim SATA? I didn't hear any clicking, can I recover my data myself with a SATA USB cord or do I need a data recovery service?

Edit: Will these work?

http://www.alza.cz/EN/EN/premiumcor...iii-d251654.htm to get my data off, assuming my HDD isnt totally hosed.

http://www.alza.cz/EN/EN/western-di...484.htm#recenze for the new hard drive

I am a big idiot and don't know if this is the same thing as my current hard drive. The current one is totally enclosed, but it says SATA on the side.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

SkunkDuster posted:

My mistake, I should have specified - I have a PC (dual core 2.?Ghz and 4G RAM) and a VCR. What I want to do is transfer some guitar instructional videos that are each about 60 minutes long. There are several adapter cables to go from RCA connectors to USB on Amazon, but the reviews on the software are pretty mixed. Some of the reviews mention that the audio and video gets out of sync and that's one of my main concerns.

I'm really a novice when it comes to this type of thing. I'm just looking for an easy way to transfer those tapes to MPEG or DVD so I can watch them on my computer instead of dragging out the VCR whenever I want to see them.

Honestly, I would stay away from involving your computer then, it's just a hassle especially if you don't have experience with it.

Find a DVD/VHS recorder combo that has "direct dubbing" (really any feature that has "dubbing" in the name is what you're looking for, just make sure it's actually a recorder and not just a player). It'll be much simpler and then end result will be playable DVDs but it will take no longer than the length of the video to convert it. You can find them on ebay/half for like 50 bucks.

If you absolutely must run it through your computer, the Diamond VC500 is cheap as poo poo and significantly more reliable than anything else out there. There's a lot of bad reviews but it's mostly people saying "doesn't work with XP sp3" and "fucks up my ridiculously outdated editing software", which really shouldn't be an issue for you.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I have a couple of questions.

1. Why does caffeine make you poop?

2. Why can't go quality cooking knives go in the dishwasher?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Red_Fred posted:

1. because.

2. Abrasives in the detergent are bad for keeping a sharp edge.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Red_Fred posted:

Its a diuretic.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Red_Fred posted:

Same reason it makes you pee: it gets the bowels moving.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
My dewalt driver/drill is dying. Anyone got a recommendation for a new one?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
What's the best htpc solution that:

1. Is already built. I don't mind mucking with the software, though.

2. Has remote control support.

3. Low power/noise.

4. Can run xbmc while hooked up to a NAS.

5. Has no stuttering/jerking.

I was really interested in the Apple TV 2 for a while until I read that it has tons of stuttering problems...

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Talk real good 'cause I'm smart and stuff
I have very little work experience and an unfinished English degree (just short of my Associates), is it possible to get a job at an NGO or am I just pissing in the wind?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

tarepanda posted:

What's the best htpc solution that:

1. Is already built. I don't mind mucking with the software, though.

2. Has remote control support.

3. Low power/noise.

4. Can run xbmc while hooked up to a NAS.

5. Has no stuttering/jerking.

I was really interested in the Apple TV 2 for a while until I read that it has tons of stuttering problems...

There's a stickied thread in the A/V Arena

Tony Bologna posted:

I have very little work experience and an unfinished English degree (just short of my Associates), is it possible to get a job at an NGO or am I just pissing in the wind?

Network, network, network and anything is possible. Meet people in the flesh and talk to them. Applying on the website will get you nowhere.

greazeball fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 5, 2012

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
What's a good resource for free full-text versions of recent healthcare related studies and articles? Or is this question better suited for SAL?

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

Same as what wagonburner said but dishwashers can also bang stuff around so particularly if its with other cutlery it can get knicks against other things.

Same reason why you dont dump it in the sink with the other stuff you are cleaning up. It can bang around in there and get dull very quickly.

Rinse it. Wipe/scrub it with a brush/sponge. Then let it dry on a tea towel or wipe it dry and put it back in the block.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Centzon Totochtin posted:

What's a good resource for free full-text versions of recent healthcare related studies and articles? Or is this question better suited for SAL?

For free? If you're at a university, your school should have some kind of portal to online scholarly articles. If I recall correctly, from my university's internet, we were able to access some full texts from Google Scholar as well.

Arab of Laurentia
Feb 13, 2012
If something says "applications must be submitted online by x" and "applications must be received no later than x" I should be able to submit the application on x, right?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Arab of Laurentia posted:

If something says "applications must be submitted online by x" and "applications must be received no later than x" I should be able to submit the application on x, right?

Technically, I imagine, but why risk it? You're leaving yourself wide open to disqualification, assuming it's a school thing and your teacher doesn't like you.

Arab of Laurentia
Feb 13, 2012
Mostly because the alternative involves spending the next four hours writing scholarship essays.

Good point, though.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

tarepanda posted:

You might want to wait a few days in case the rumored ATV3 is announced at WWDC this Wednesday.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Huntersoninski posted:

For free? If you're at a university, your school should have some kind of portal to online scholarly articles. If I recall correctly, from my university's internet, we were able to access some full texts from Google Scholar as well.

I need an article from the journal Diabetes Care but my college doesn't have an institutional subscription to it. The problem is, I need recent articles for journal clubs, and most of the articles I have access to are delayed by an issue or two.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Does your school participate in Interlibrary Loans?

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
If you live in the US but need a surgery/operation that you can't afford in any way, could you scoot over to Canada for it? Or do you need to be a resident?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
If it was an emergency, they'd treat you (and then charge you IIRC), but otherwise no. You have to be a Canadian resident to qualify for free healthcare.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
When did Sprite Zero switch to a blue can? They were silver the last time I bought some a couple months ago.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

What's a good, cheap way to de-scale a kettle? Considering what scale is I assume I need an acid of some kind? I have a lot of vinegar and searching online says that vinegar is really effective, but nobody can seem to agree on what to do with it (boil it, leave it overnight after boiling it and boil it AGAIN, use 100% vinegar, use 50/50 vinegar/water, and so on).

Anyone have any tips? My kettle is disgusting and I'd like to clean it out.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
CLR is basically made to get the scale out of your pots. It should be maybe $5-ish for a 28 oz bottle of it.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Use 100% white vinegar, don't boil it, leave it in for an hour or two, then wipe the inside with a wet cloth and some baking soda. Should do the trick!

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I want to upload a floor plan of my new apartment and tag areas of the picture with links/comments so I can keep track of the furniture I want to put in. Where can I do this easily?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
When I purchase things do I need to keep the box? Or can I clip out the UPC code and paperclip it to the receipt? And how long should I keep something? My TV had a 2 year warranty and I found the receipt the other day. It is still working. Will manufacturers accept scanned receipts, they are all looking pretty bad.

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana

stubblyhead posted:

When did Sprite Zero switch to a blue can? They were silver the last time I bought some a couple months ago.

I work for a vending company, and they just started shipping us those about two weeks ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
What program can I use to make a business card on Windows?