Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Nuntius posted:

It really wasn't about how long we've been going out for. We've been going out for about 2 and a half years, we've moved country together, got a place together etc. The issue is that my sister said I couldn't possibly understand how she feels because we are not engaged and (she literally said) that our relationship is not as important as hers because of this. Her attitude about the wedding is that, no matter how much it inconveniences the rest of us, we sould all be there because it is her wedding (she wasn't at my sister's because it was in Algeria and was inconvenient for her, and she refused to come to my brother's wedding until she was told she would be cut off if she didn't). She's also questioned whether our eventual wedding would be real because it would be civil only and not religious (because we're not huge hypocrits and admit that we don't believe in God, even if it means we don't get the church wedding).

Your sister sounds like a pretty not great person in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Emasculatrix posted:

Are "plantation themed" weddings a thing now? I'm in a destination wedding package contest and some of the other couples are throwing these. It's kind of mind-blowing to me that white people would travel to the south to throw a plantation wedding.

One of the Sandals resorts is called The Royal Plantation. We did our Honeymoon at a Sandals resort, and I did get my social conscious pinged a bit, but even my wife (who tends to be less liberal on stuff like that) thought that being a relatively well off white couple going to a resort called The Plantation and then being waited on 24/7 by black people while not exchanging any money (all inclusive! Pay 4 months in advance so you forget the pain, it's like a free vacation! :v: ) would have felt more than a little weird.

Banana Stickers posted:

Mason jars are a huge trend right now for "rustic" weddings. I think it's kind of dumb, but it's really not any different than drinking out of a glass so I don't know why you would be bent out of shape by it. There's no need to bring your own glass to the wedding.

A wedding my mom recently attended had a rustic theme. One of the details we both thought was sorta cute was the butter. Every table had a mason jar with cream and a few marbles, and you just shook for a few minutes until you had butter. Apparently some of the kids had a grand ole time running from table to table and going nuts with the things. :3:

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)

Tigntink posted:

Your sister sounds like a pretty not great person in general.

She's really not - I was genuinely overjoyed when I heard she was moving to Uruguay. I just don't want to 'ruin her day' by letting my general attitude to her cloud my judgement about whether I should be bending over backwards to get there, but I think I will just stick with my first instinct and say no.

edit: After talking to my parents and other Siblings, she is apparently doing the same thing to everyone in an attempt to guilt us all into coming, so I don't feel so bad about not going any more.

Nuntius fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 22, 2012

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

She is terrible. You shouldn't feel bad. I can't believe people act this way towards their family.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Gothmog1065 posted:

Those are absolutely beautiful, but they're a bit expensive. Is there another good place to do them online?

If you're not going to do letterpress, really your best bet (and what we're doing) is Wal-Mart or Target invites and either hand-write or print with a fancy laser printer. After looking at other folks who did the online thing the increase in cost over the quality just wasn't there.

Also this gives you an excuse to buy fancy fountain pens and ink and make everything look unique.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

PopRocks posted:

I love mason jars as drinking containers. But I also live in the south and plenty of BBQ and soul food restaurants have used them here forever, it's funny that they've become trendy.

Though they're really best for water and iced tea, they should probaably still have wine glasses and highballs for the booze, but maybe they will?

From the sound of it, it seems like they will not. I'm just going to deal with it and laugh at all the people who will probably spill wine/beer/whatever else they are drinking all over themselves, but not the bride and groom of course, that's just rude.

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)

Jonny Quest posted:

If you're not going to do letterpress, really your best bet (and what we're doing) is Wal-Mart or Target invites and either hand-write or print with a fancy laser printer. After looking at other folks who did the online thing the increase in cost over the quality just wasn't there.

Also this gives you an excuse to buy fancy fountain pens and ink and make everything look unique.

Why not get some nice stock card and print them completely yourself on your printer. I did all of my little sisters invites on stock card, with a purple backing card (spray mount is perfect for this), and all of my brothers invites, save the dates, menus, orders of service, table plans, place settings and thank you notes on printing paper. Make sure to print in low quality on an inkjet if printing in printing paper as otherwise you get ink blots everywhere. Depending on how much effort you can even print each persons name on each thing (I did this but I got a little too into it, especially considering it wasn't my wedding).

Edit: by printing paper I mean for a printing press, something like 280gsm seawhite. Torn rather than cut for beautiful edges.

Nuntius fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 22, 2012

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

I am currently looking to buy an engagement ring. I read the first 50 pages of this thread and while I know a lot more, I feel like I am still just at the tip of the iceberg. I know that cut is easily the most important of the 4Cs. I am just having trouble how to figure out whether what I am getting online is a good deal and will actually look good in person... i.e. this diamond. I am budgeting around 2k-3k total, and the band will just be a 14k/18k white gold one that is probably around $500 bucks.

Any thoughts?

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja
Run away! That diamond has the least desirable VS2 inclusion - A black carbon spot right in the middle of the table. That inclusion will likely be visible with the naked eye, and it's something you don't want to buy.

I would disagree with GIA on the grade of that diamond and firmly call it an SI1.

If you would like to PM me I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about diamonds.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Ok, thanks for the quick reply. How about any of these three? Not sure what WF's A CUT ABOVE is really worth.

http://www.eternitydiamonds.com/diamond_detail.php?id=592830

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-2696707.htm

or

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-2763532.htm

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja
So the 0.76 Princess listed on both Eternity Diamonds and Whiteflash are actually the same diamond. Neither company owns it. They usually just list diamonds from other vendors. Neither website lists a lab certificate for it, which is strange.

The 0.64 stone seems a bit overpriced for what it is.

One thing to consider is a secondhand diamond. My wholesale company sells a high volume of secondhand diamonds, and they are a great product. It's a great way to save quite a bit of money, and a new diamond and a used diamond look the same. :-) But you do have to be patient and wait a week or two while one comes in secondhand.

Edit: Shouldn't have posted the diamond's other details.

JohnnyRnR fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 24, 2012

PopRocks
Jul 4, 2003

WTF am I reading?

Tetrix posted:

I know that cut is easily the most important of the 4Cs.

Weird, it's probably the least important for me. I'd rather have a big, clear, white diamond in an unpopular cut than a tiny smokey brownish diamond in the most trendy hyper princess reflective brilliant cut. Have you talked to her about her preferences?

Edit: well color me informed, I really thought cut and shape were the same. Still, the sparkle just isn't that important to me, personally.

PopRocks fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Feb 24, 2012

Low Carb Bread
Sep 6, 2007

Cut will maximize brilliance and fire. You can have a flawless D but if the cut isn't excellent/ideal/"the new ideal ideal," it won't have pizazz. If you don't care at all about the sparkle then you certainly can compromise on cut but I think for most people, nothing buys you as much 'wow' factor as going up in cut... flawless D very good cut will still be outdone by VS2 G excellent cut... untrained people will not see the difference between D and G at a distance, nor flawless versus VS2... but the difference in cut is very apparent to the naked eye even from a distance.

As for shape, it all depends on the person. I think round is best, and is the most popular for a reason... excellent balance of fire/brilliance. They look great. Other cuts have been popular at different points in history... princess, marquis etc. It all depends on what you're down with.

Low Carb Bread fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Feb 24, 2012

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
Anyone know anything about The Knot and Wedding Channel going down? We just sent Save The Dates and our site was up there.

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)

WeaselWeaz posted:

Anyone know anything about The Knot and Wedding Channel going down? We just sent Save The Dates and our site was up there.

It's up for me....

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

They finally put up a message that they're under maintenance. Only took like 4 hours.

Aceofblue
Feb 26, 2009

I just had my engagement ring remade, and I'm completely thrilled and wanted to show it off. :3: My original ring was a wooden band with green malachite inlaid, and I really really love it. However, I'm just too hard on the wood for everyday wear, which is something we knew when we talked things over, but I wanted to try it anyways. I'm just happy I got my ring remade before I completely hopelessly warped my original ring, so now I can at least have it on a chain or hanging from something by my computer.

My new ring is titanium, it's even made with the same green malachite that my original ring was made with! It took about a month to work out the stone, but I'm really pleased. I'm really glad that I don't have to worry about taking my ring off every time I wash my hands or go into lab. I also got it made much thicker than my original band, to show off more of the stone. It's not like it's a rare or expensive stone or anything, but it has a lot of significance to me.

Daeus
Nov 17, 2001

Tetrix posted:

Any thoughts?

I used this tool to evaluate the cut of diamonds online paired with some common sense reading about any inclusions.

http://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

I was very happy with the stone I finally purchased sight unseen. I spent more for cut instead of size and I am confident it was the right size.

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007
If my fiancee and I live in one state, but our ceremony is in another, which state do we get the marriage license in? I'm assuming that it would be the state we live in, but I just want to make sure.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

WaffleStomp posted:

If my fiancee and I live in one state, but our ceremony is in another, which state do we get the marriage license in? I'm assuming that it would be the state we live in, but I just want to make sure.

It should be from the state or country where you are getting married. You should probably ask your officiant.

Kitten Kisses
Apr 2, 2007

Dancing with myself.

WaffleStomp posted:

Marriage license is for the state you get married in. Make sure you check the laws for the state you are planning to have the wedding, as some states require you to apply for and/or pick up the license a few days to a few weeks in advance of the wedding and you typically have to do this in person.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Aceofblue posted:

malachite

The ring is beautiful! At the same time, malachite is incredibly soft and it is reactive, so you will want to be a bit careful with it and if you're planning on wearing it long term I could easily see you needing to replace stones. Just be prepared for that!

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Daeus posted:

I used this tool to evaluate the cut of diamonds online paired with some common sense reading about any inclusions.

http://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

I was very happy with the stone I finally purchased sight unseen. I spent more for cut instead of size and I am confident it was the right size.

Just a note on these tools... The cut advisers aren't used within the diamond trade other than as a marketing tool to steer consumers towards a particular company's products. A high score isn't always a sign of beauty or quality.

Cut is extremely important, but I find a lot of customers get mired down in super ideal terminology and in trying to find "perfect" they completely ruin the experience and wind up overpaying for a branded piece.

I saw an interesting diamond yesterday: A four carat round diamond that would have failed every cut adviser, but its beauty was stunning. The crown angles had been modified to throw the prismatic light back inside the diamond instead of reflecting it outwards. I'd never seen anything like it. It had to have been an optical illusion because the physics wouldn't work. But the diamond was cut in the 1950's! If you posted it on Pricescope they would say it was a piece of junk and advise you to buy a Hearts on Fire clone.

One interesting new thing is the Firepolish plasma etched diamond. Simply amazing. We've handled one or two and I've been considering converting my entire bridal inventory to them. http://www.firepolishdiamonds.com

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

JohnnyRnR posted:

It had to have been an optical illusion because the physics wouldn't work.

Describe this in great detail because I want to calculate this now.

e. Couldn't you just cut the crown a little high than normal to focus the refraction more through the centre of the table? :confused:

WAFFLEHOUND fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 29, 2012

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
How does it work if a venue you are looking at has a required caterer? I don't know if we would feel super comfortable agreeing to it without getting to taste the food. Do they do samplings like that?

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Chin Strap posted:

How does it work if a venue you are looking at has a required caterer? I don't know if we would feel super comfortable agreeing to it without getting to taste the food. Do they do samplings like that?

You would have to pay for a tasting, but ask the venue. How important is food to you? Our venue has a preferred caterer and we would have had a fee to not use them. They had a decent enough reputation and we just wanted food that tasted fine and wasn't hot dogs. If you want something specialized like a 4 course Polish meal you obviously need to be more discriminating.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Bridal Show this Sunday!!! Heres hoping I can win the grand prize that pays for the wedding :)

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."

JohnnyRnR posted:

If you posted it on Pricescope they would say it was a piece of junk and advise you to buy a Hearts on Fire clone.

One interesting new thing is the Firepolish plasma etched diamond. Simply amazing. We've handled one or two and I've been considering converting my entire bridal inventory to them. http://www.firepolishdiamonds.com

I'm curious about the hearts on fire diamonds only because I hear annoying ads for them all the time. Can you explain why these diamonds are supposed to be so drat magnificent? And how does plasma make a diamond prettier? That sounds interesting.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Describe this in great detail because I want to calculate this now.

e. Couldn't you just cut the crown a little high than normal to focus the refraction more through the centre of the table? :confused:

I have no idea. It was a complete mystery to me. The crown angles were almost 40 degrees, and I think that that might have something to with it. I didn't have time to put the diamond in the laser scanner otherwise I would have had the angles mapped.

Anya posted:

I'm curious about the hearts on fire diamonds only because I hear annoying ads for them all the time. Can you explain why these diamonds are supposed to be so drat magnificent?

HoF is simply a branded line of diamonds. "The world's most perfect cut diamond" or some nonsense. They're no better than any other modern cut diamond, but their prices are very high. They pour a lot of money into marketing, and a lot of people believe the advertisements.

I buy a large volume of secondhand diamonds. And, if I'm talking to a divorcee on the phone, and she starts crying, the conversation usually began with "But they told me that the Hearts on Fire diamonds were the best and that it was a good investment..." :-(

Anya posted:

And how does plasma make a diamond prettier? That sounds interesting.

It's an interesting process. They cover a diamond with a special metal grid, and then spray the grid with superheated liquid plasma. The plasma etches microscopic facets at a right angle to the table of the diamond. It's a called a refraction grating, and the effect is as if the diamond was covered in thousands of other tiny diamonds. It's a wild look, and it greatly increases the spectral fire of a diamond.

I'm very excited about it, and have been considering selling these diamonds exclusively.

JohnnyRnR fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 1, 2012

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Aha! The HoF hype is just hype. That is kind of what I thought, but good to hear from a reputable source. And the plasma diamonds sound ridiculously cool - technology is amazing.

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy
So the future wife and mine wedding is getting really close, April 1st!!

We are in the mists of planning things with the DJ for the reception, and a problem arose.

She really wants to the the garter toss thing, but I find it really disrespectful. Is there a way to get this done not involving me having to go up her dress in front of 140 family and friends?

I am at a losing argument to just have her do the bouquet toss and forget the garter thing.

Toothy
Jan 30, 2006

There's treasure everywhere!
Is there a free online resource to find good local jewelry stores?

Closet Nerd
Feb 21, 2011

Dbhjed posted:

So the future wife and mine wedding is getting really close, April 1st!!

We are in the mists of planning things with the DJ for the reception, and a problem arose.

She really wants to the the garter toss thing, but I find it really disrespectful. Is there a way to get this done not involving me having to go up her dress in front of 140 family and friends?

I am at a losing argument to just have her do the bouquet toss and forget the garter thing.

I can't help you much out here because as the bride I did not want to do this after seeing my friends husband go up her skirt in front of their parents grandparents, family and friends. My mom was really embarrassed just watching it.

Ask her to talk to her parents about their feelings towards it.

If she won't go for it, there is no rule that says you have to stick your head up her dress, you can just put your hands up there and ask she put the garter lower.

We didn't do the flower or garter toss. I feel like they are very awkward traditions that just make yourself or other people feel uncomfortable (my personal opinion, observations, and experience).

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Dbhjed posted:

Yes. You tell the DJ and best man that you don't want it to be over the top, like putting your head up her dress or pulling it down with your teeth. She can lift the dress up (her thigh, her calf, whatever she's comfortable with) and you pull it down with your hands. The point is that you pull off the garter and toss it, you're not dry-humping her in front of everyone. Unless you're that kind of couple, I guess.

I'm not sure what your losing argument is. You may think it's disrespectful, but it's disrespectful to her. The person who is insisting on it. So compromise and agree to do it but in a way you are comfortable with.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
She could prepare by pulling the garter down to like knee height beforehand, perhaps, so that you wouldn't have to go so far. It could be a good compromise.

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy

WeaselWeaz posted:

Yes. You tell the DJ and best man that you don't want it to be over the top, like putting your head up her dress or pulling it down with your teeth. She can lift the dress up (her thigh, her calf, whatever she's comfortable with) and you pull it down with your hands.

That I think would work well, I didn't even think about it lol. I've only been to weddings where it hasn't been done or it is really Over the top, which was funny most of the time but I couldn't see myself doing that.

TheKracken
Oct 16, 2011
Oh man, the garter toss. I haven't seen that at a wedding since the early 90's. I thought that went out with perms and puffball sleeves?

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

TheKracken posted:

Oh man, the garter toss. I haven't seen that at a wedding since the early 90's. I thought that went out with perms and puffball sleeves?

My brother did it. But then again taking choice parts of western weddings and incorporating them into Chinese banquets is apparently A Thing.

JustAurora
Apr 17, 2007

Nature vs. Nurture, man!
At my roommate's wedding for the garter toss they made it a bit theatrical by the groom quickly reaching up for the garter, but it wasn't there, because on the ride from the church to the reception site, she had given it to him, and he put it around his ankle. So after a 2 second reach for the garter, she pointed to his leg, and he pulled up his pant leg and there it was. It was cutely amusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Dbhjed posted:

I didn't stick my head up there either, just reached, and she had pushed it to her knee. If you want to make it more cutesy, you can also have her parent on the dance floor a couple feet away looking disapproving. I went to a wedding with that, and it turned into a very cute photo.

TheKracken posted:

I'd reckon it's a regional thing. We did it at our wedding in the Midwest.

EDIT: about that fire polish diamond, how much does it cost to treat a diamond? I'm sure it varies a bit based on the size of the stone; how much is it, say, per carat?

Boxman fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 5, 2012