Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

SV650 is 11.5 and recommends 87.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

2004 FZ6. In another part of the manual it recommends 91 RON or higher so technically I think it could run on 86 then. Like I said, I've run regular since I got it and have never had it knock or ping or any detonation issues. Combining that with regular being the manufacturer recommendation, I'll stick to what I've been doing. That doesn't stop an argument at the gas pump every time I ride with my dad as he fills up with premium "just to be sure".

What strikes me is the near 50/50 split of people who run higher vs. the manual recommended when you wade thru the bullshit on forums. This one has a poll and it's like 45/47. http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/36764-fuel-grade-regular-mid-range-premium.html

Waste of money but half of the people still do it.

Edit: forgot the forum link

VVV It's a sentiment that pops up. Usually either some kind of "I feel it run better and I don't want worse gas" misunderstanding, or not knowing the difference between US octane ratings and other places. This quote is par for the course:

LERecords;391453 posted:

I have never used anything but premium.. i know that it doesnt make a difference, but i feel better about it.. dont think there is any difference, but i have never used anything else... and the bike is worth it :thumbup:

nsaP fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 5, 2012

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That's kind of interesting.

I agree, if the manual calls for 87 I'd fill it with 87. Higher "just to be sure" is lost on me.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I run premium in my two strokes just to be sure because they can be prone to detonation, and it will kill them in short order.

The four strokes? Regular unless the manufacturer recommends it.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
It gets more complicated when you start talking about dodging ethanol. In addition to the usual seal issues, Triumph and Ducati plastic fuel tanks react poorly to ethanol and it's really difficult finding gas with as little of the stuff as possible.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

It gets more complicated when you start talking about dodging ethanol. In addition to the usual seal issues, Triumph and Ducati plastic fuel tanks react poorly to ethanol and it's really difficult finding gas with as little of the stuff as possible.

All of the petrol stations where I live, their products ALL have ethanol in them. :(

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I feel lucky, because the supreme-grade gas at the nearest station specifically says "ethanol-free." AND it's usually 15-20 cents more expensive than regular, compared to other places around town that are 20-40 cents.

If the gas costs 5% more, but I get 10-15% better fuel economy, I'm saving money, right?

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
I tried and failed to swap the tires on my TL1000S. I can't get the front wheel off- the fork clamps don't bite enough to keep it from slipping when I use a breaker bar, and it has so far been unresponsive to my apparently weak-rear end impact gun. This was after an overnight soak with PB Blaster. Any ideas?

There's really no non-destructive way I can think of to grab the nut- it's round on the inside and outside. I guess you could pound a big rear end easy-out in and hold onto that. Or maybe I need a bigger air line- the last 20 feet of mine is that cheap 1/4" coiled stuff.

I also found a spot of rust on the fork slider :-(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Can you take a picture of each side of the axle?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Have you tried a manual impact driver? Unless your pneumatic one is a serious heavy-duty model, you can often get more torque with a plain old handheld version and a sledgehammer. Plus it drives the socket onto the fastener so there's really no chance of it stripping.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Or is this exactly what you're doing, and I just can't grasp the obvious?

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 5, 2012

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Washed the bike, cleaned the chain, lubed some cables. Now it's raining and I'm reminded of why I never really wash my bike in the winter/fall/early spring.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
This is the side that's slipping. The clamps here are torqued; the other side is loose. The big round bit is a nut into which the axle threads (you can see the end of the axle here). The middle finger is mine, and expresses my feelings.

Bucephalus- yes that's what I'm doing. It's not like this is the first time I've taken the wheel off; it's just the first time it has stuck. It's kind of hilarious that they show the axle being tenderly removed with bare fingers, as it's spec'd for 72 ft-lbs. I might try pointing a heat gun at it tonight for a bit and see what I get.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Well poo poo. :( You may be on to something with the easy-out idea, it doesn't look like there's enough of an external flange to grab onto with anything.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'd try carefully torqueing down the pinch bolts on that side a bit more.

Also, I'd fire some PB plaster into the threads, in the hope that that'd help.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I lubed my throttle cables. After I got the bike back from the mechanic (carb clean/inspect/rejet) I noticed the throttle wasn't snapping shut... or much of anything relating to such a motion, really. I took off the assembly, used my shiny new cable lubing device, hit all the springs with some proper lubricant, and properly adjusted the length of the slack. Now the bike's throttle responds like it just rolled off the showroom floor.

This bike's coming along. :)

Now I just need the lock set and chain guard from Z3n then I'm gonna install my rearset risers and the bike is pretty much 99% mechanically sound. :D

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I took the carb bodies out of the Pine-Sol they'd been soaking in for the last 24 hours. Holy poo poo! That stuff really, really works. All of the caked-on grease and oil and soot scrubbed off with a toothbrush like nothing. Highly recommended if you have parts to clean and need a cheap degreaser. I used 1 part pine-sol to 2 parts water.

Also, since cleaning the outside of the carb bodies was the last thing I needed to do, I put the carbs back together. Adjusted the float height, etc. They seem pretty clean and solid now -- here's to hoping that later this week I'll be able to get the bike to wake up for the first time in more than thirty years...

Finally, I started the electrolytic cleaning of the gas tank. Fill it up with sodium carbonate solution, insert coat hanger electrode, apply current. I'm not sure what is going on inside, exactly, but the surface of the water is slowly turning scummy and rusty so that's a good sign.

Tomorrow: flush old oil that's been dissolving in sea foam for a week and put new stuff in in preparation for starting attempts.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Z3n posted:

I'd try carefully torqueing down the pinch bolts on that side a bit more.

Also, I'd fire some PB plaster into the threads, in the hope that that'd help.

It's been soaking since saturday, which probably helped the final step of successful removal, which was...

I got an internal pipe wrench at Lowe's this evening. It's like a toothed cam on a .5" hex key (just GIS it and you'll see). It was too small to work on its own, but some grinder magic on a .5" piece of hardened steel rod (probably an old milling bit from a box of yard sale crap) made a shim that allowed the wrench's cam to bite.

So all I need now is a free hour to get to the cheap tire changer in San Jose. BARF says it's the 76 station on Saratoga @ Moorpark.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Where are you at? Bring them by my place and we'll change them here.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Just got off the phone with a guy on CL. He'll be bringing me a set of DRZ dirt wheels with tires and a desert tank. I have to swap the rotors on the dirt wheels to SM rotors right? Anyone have any idea how much that's going to cost me? I'd really like to avoid swapping the rotors off of my SM wheels back and forth, but this spent most of my "bike" cash for the month.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Just got off the phone with a guy on CL. He'll be bringing me a set of DRZ dirt wheels with tires and a desert tank. I have to swap the rotors on the dirt wheels to SM rotors right? Anyone have any idea how much that's going to cost me? I'd really like to avoid swapping the rotors off of my SM wheels back and forth, but this spent most of my "bike" cash for the month.

http://www.bikebandit.com/brake-rotors/n1011?m=12818

Depends how much you want to make it cost.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Sounds like the ideal time to buy a bigger front rotor for your sumo wheel.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SaNChEzZ posted:

http://www.bikebandit.com/brake-rotors/n1011?m=12818

Depends how much you want to make it cost.

http://www.bikebandit.com/braking-race-rotor?m=12818

That seems waaaaaaaay too cheap for what it is

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Olde Weird Tip posted:

http://www.bikebandit.com/braking-race-rotor?m=12818

That seems waaaaaaaay too cheap for what it is

For around the same price speed addict cycles does an EBC 320mm rotor with adapter for the stock caliper. That's what I'd do, probably. Although the stock SM brake is way overkill offroad.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Z3n posted:

For around the same price speed addict cycles does an EBC 320mm rotor with adapter for the stock caliper. That's what I'd do, probably. Although the stock SM brake is way overkill offroad.

I can't seem to find it on their site. Any chance you could link me, or do I need to call them?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I can't seem to find it on their site. Any chance you could link me, or do I need to call them?

Call or send an email.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Z3n posted:

Call or send an email.

Will do Muchas Gracias.

deliverator
Aug 8, 2000
you know i'm your Hiro
This past weekend I revised my Van Halen-esque stripey job on the mighty ZX10. The original fluorescent yellow began fading immediately upon exposure to the sun. These stripes are done with white and black 3M di-noc carbon fiber vinyl, which has a glossy CF texture. Because I had plenty of the material, I also completely covered the black plastic bodywork (the bit under the seat/tank, the hugger, and the "<" shaped piece) with black CF vinyl.

Except for a couple of flaws (the material is hard to work with on curves) it looks pretty good up-close.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Z3n posted:

Where are you at? Bring them by my place and we'll change them here.

San Jose, Willow Glen specifically. Are you in the neighborhood?

I assume you have a changer? GMail me at my username and hopefully we can set something up.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

AnnoyBot posted:

San Jose, Willow Glen specifically. Are you in the neighborhood?

I assume you have a changer? GMail me at my username and hopefully we can set something up.

Aww, crap, that's pretty far from me. You're probably better off going to the cheap place on gas alone...I'm up in the east Oakland area.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I got rid of the useless "handguards" and installed some cheap led turn signals to the piss cup brackets. I also bought a cheap bar end mirror since the old mirrors were attached to the handguards.

But now I'm having a fast flash issue even though the factory signals were led too. There must have been a heavy duty resistor in the old signal assembly. Also, my check engine light is now on. I'm guessing it has to do with the reduced resistance of the new signals.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I didn't exactly do this in a day, but...

I removed the engine/transmission/kickstand/rear wheel assembly from a Vento Triton R4 because everything minus the case halves is getting replaced. I don't trust Chinese parts much and this gives me license to go hog wild with my big bore kit.

After removing the oil pump, I had to scrape off a ton of grease from what the factory shot in there to lubricate it. I also had to scrape out a bunch of sludge from where the oil pump and possibly the crank seal leaked.

Here are the case halves all nice and clean. It took a lot of Simple Green to remove the road grime, sludge, gasket adhesive and a super thick layer of drive belt residue on the transmission side.

I triple-bagged the new reinforced crank and threw it in the fridge overnight. I then heated the bearings in the oven and dropped them on the cold crank for an easy fit.

A comparison of the stock crank and bearings versus the new assembly. What can't be seen is the polymer cage that the new bearings have.

And that's where I had to stop before work today.

Edited to replace misused word.

Rugoberta Munchu fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 9, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

M4rg4r1ne posted:

When I saw this picture I thought that was a vehicle. Now I'm sad that it isn't.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

The intent is to eventually attach that driveline to that frame. But I'll need a top tube and new mounting bracket at the very least. Though I do kinda want to change the decal to say "PANDA EXPRESS" in anticipation for the Chinese scoot swap.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Whoa holy poo poo a GY6 (right?) (e: nvm, 2-stroke 50?) into a Honda Express? That is awesome. I've never seen it before, is that common?

I hope that Express has a good front brake 'cause that thing is gonna be quick.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

1e40qmb, otherwise known as the Chinese Minarelli 2-stroke.

I'll be using the Vento's front end on it as well, since it also has a disc brake. I have yet to see if I'll need to just weld the scooter steering tube to it or if I can use the original. With the big bore and pipe (and other stuff) I have for it, it should hit 55 MPH at least. I'll port it after I make sure everything runs correctly.

Then when it's all tuned, I'll turn my attention to actually fiddling with the frame to swap it all over.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

M4rg4r1ne posted:

A comparison of the stock crank and bearings versus the new assembly. What can't be seen is the polyurethane cage that the new bearings have.
Polyamide glass reinforced :eng101:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Or, to put it in a more uncool way, the same stuff that IKEA makes its spatulas out of.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I only say this because I'm a bearing geek. Please make bearings cool and fancy.

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

slidebite posted:

Polyamide glass reinforced :eng101:
I read the description as "poly cage" and dug deeper just now to read that it stood for "polymer cage".