Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Banged up my knee drilling takedowns, so it's hammer machines for the next two weeks. Which means I get to go into my first tournament out of practice. :sigh:

Question for the new page: Do you guys prefer a more structured learning environment or do you like it when your coaches just flow through training sessions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mr Interweb posted:

Okay, need help making a decision. I got two seemingly nice options.

Option 1: This place teaches a combination of Chinese and American kenpo. The guy who owns the place seems like the coolest dude ever. He's offering $175 per month for unlimited group classes (6 days a week) and 1 private half hour lesson each week.

Option 2: Muay Thai + Judo. This muay thai gym I found the other day will let you come by any time during open hours and you can train with one of the instructors for however long you feel like. It's supposed to let everyone advance at whatever pace they're comfortable with. Then there's the judo place that Pellisworth recommended, which although only has training 2 times a week, is still pretty fuggin cheap. Both these combined would run me around the same price as option 1.

What say you, people?

#2 of course, mt and judo are both useful martial arts, the other place is a mcdojo

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Banged up my knee drilling takedowns, so it's hammer machines for the next two weeks. Which means I get to go into my first tournament out of practice. :sigh:

Question for the new page: Do you guys prefer a more structured learning environment or do you like it when your coaches just flow through training sessions?

Without being entirely sure what flowing through a training session would entail, I usually prefer a structured and detailed learning environment! Makes it easier on the instructor and the students in the long run, I think.

E; I'd also go for #2. That's a pretty sweet combination.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Bohemian Nights posted:

Without being entirely sure what flowing through a training session would entail

At my gym, before we warm up we talk about what we'd like to focus on and run through that first, be it a sweep or takedown or whatever, and then our coach will riff off of that by showing the progression from that or the counter. Like the other night we started with a scissor sweep, since most of us were new and need to learn a sweep, and since that puts you in mount with good control of a wrist we moved into attacking from mount and mount escapes, then started rolling after 30 minutes or so.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

I'm not sure what you mean.

If you mean the coach/instructor actually planning stuff ahead of time, then yes. I went to a gym with a very talented BJJ guy for years, but he never planned for poo poo.

Doing stuff on the fly, is okay once in a while. But material really should be consistent.

Practicing something once and then never revisiting/practicing it again is a waste of time.

For producing quality students/future instructors in the long term, I think having a structured curriculum is very important. If you find a problem with your current set of students, you can hopefully tweak what gets taught and eliminate the problem.

I'm not saying one month of material should be the same as another, but if you are looking at material in years there should be some consistency.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

My gym only has 3 training methods for kickboxing:
- drills (you do a combination, partner does the combination to you).
- interactive sparring. Light contact. Mainly to work on your tactics and decision-making
- sparring.

Some drills have a very limited about of interactivity, where you get some choices about what to do. But most are rote, which I think is a good use of time for building your muscle memory. At my level, I will never look at a technique or combo and say, that is inappropriate for my style/attributes. I might not end up incorporating it well, but I have no problems drilling it. Occasionally, an instructor will see someone having trouble with something and offer an alternate solution for them.

I like interactive sparring and I wish there were more classes of it. It's a bridge for doing a technique on the bag or pads to doing it alive against real resistance.

In sparring, our head coach is very review-oriented. He tells you what you're doing wrong.
"You're too sideways when you jab"
"Hands up"
"That's too far away to throw a hook to the body"
This is good for fine-tuning you game, but at my level, I need more gameplan coaching.

One day, one of the wrestlers came over and gave me instructions:
"Jab. You gotta keep pumping the jab. Pop pop pop"
"Don't just back away if he kicks, throw a cross back at him"
"Aim your cross down if he tries to duck and get inside"
It's much more useful to me to have someone else observe the situation and offer me things to do. This way, I don't feel lost, and I can meter out my energy on specific things to be doing instead of nervously trying to be without-thought and reacting naturally. Not that that isn't good in some cases, but I like being pushed to accomplish specific tasks.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

KingColliwog posted:

How can it not be an issue? Most people have to budget and have to take prices in consideration. I would probably not even try out a place that would not give me their price list after I e-mailed them twice specifically asking for their prices. It's certainly not the first and only concern, but it's definitely on the list of important stuff to know before you choose your gym. No matter how great a gym is, if it's 30$ over my budget per month I'll settle for another gym until I can afford this one.

I can understand not putting the info on the website but refusing to answer this very important and basic question twice from potential customers is completely unacceptable in my opinion.

Anyway I'm not from the US so may be it's just cultural.

To be fair, they haven't refused to answer it twice, they just haven't replied to my last email yet. And yeah, the money does matter to me at this stage. I'm not looking at this as making a lifelong commitment, I'm looking at this as a fun way to get some exercise. So if this turns out to be six-month memberships for hundreds and hundreds of dollars, I'm not doing it no matter how good their training is.

Anyway, I'll check out those other places too.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Pellisworth posted:

Edit: what/where is the muay thai place you mention?

http://muaythai2004.com/index.html

I actually didn't scour the website until just now, lol (I saw it listed in a directory and actually went to check it out). I'll admit, after reading the "What is Muay Thai?" page, these guys seem to have an almost obnoxious pride in Muay Thai.

Also, the page says there's a one time $100 membership fee, but the owner neglected to mention that when I went...

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

http://muaythai2004.com/index.html

I actually didn't scour the website until just now, lol (I saw it listed in a directory and actually went to check it out). I'll admit, after reading the "What is Muay Thai?" page, these guys seem to have an almost obnoxious pride in Muay Thai.

Also, the page says there's a one time $100 membership fee, but the owner neglected to mention that when I went...

That is a painfully obnoxious website :/ That's way up in the Valley, I've been kicking around the idea of trying muay thai but I'd opt for one of the places in Hollywood or Koreatown, most likely.

Have you visited the judo dojo yet? I didn't make it last Thurs.

Lazy Dog
May 23, 2003

rock out with your cock out

Mr Interweb posted:

San Fernando Valley stuff.

Dude, sounds like you live in the East Valley.

You have also have access to:

Muay Thai Academy of America: http://muaythaiacademy.net/
Muay Thai Boxing Gym (run by Khru Rex, a really cool guy): http://www.yelp.com/biz/muay-thai-kick-boxing-gym-van-nuys
San Fernando Valley Judo and Valley Judo Institute (pretty much sister dojos considering how close in proximity they are)
Gokor / Hayastan Grappling

On the BJJ side you have:
Several Gracie Barra academies (Burbank/Encino/Hollywood)
Jean Jacques Machado
Street Sports on Ventura Blvd
Dartanian's on Cahuenga
Force Balance near Burbank Airport (also taught by a former Power Ranger lol): http://www.forcebalancebjj.com/

If you need the lowdown on Judo in the SFV, let me know.

Lazy Dog fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 3, 2012

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Ligur posted:

Post your KO and choke trip reports in this thread :drugnerd:

got TKO'd my last fight, but there's definitely some seconds missing there before the ref call. I think I fell down, but I was suddenly on the ground getting GNPéd by a clone of Uriah Faber.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."
Ha ha ha, so I had a fight tomorrow. I was on my 5th opponent for this card, and I just found out he dropped as well. He was 3-1 in MMA, and I'm 2-2 in MT. That's okay though, they found someone who would take the fight on less then 24hr notice.

This guy

Guess that advice of yours is really timely, Guilty.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
wow are you really that small?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

TheStampede posted:

Ha ha ha, so I had a fight tomorrow. I was on my 5th opponent for this card, and I just found out he dropped as well. He was 3-1 in MMA, and I'm 2-2 in MT. That's okay though, they found someone who would take the fight on less then 24hr notice.

This guy

:aaa:

Good luck.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

TheStampede posted:

This guy

Bah, he's not invincible, hau rein!

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."

gimpsuitjones posted:

wow are you really that small?

Short, but not that short. I'm 5'8", and roughly 140lbs. I'll have the size advantage, for sure, but he'll have a lot more experience then me.

Guilty posted:

Bah, he's not invincible, hau rein!

Yeah, I had put my mind in it's right place for the last opponent, who already had a better record then me. I just couldn't help but laugh at the coincidence of you posting that advice, and the actually situation presenting itself. You're right, he isn't invincible. I'll go out there and put on the best God-drat show I can, because this is my life, and my sport, and I've worked too hard and come too far to let one fight matter. And no matter what, win or lose, he can't take away what I do from me (barring massive head trauma :haw: ).

VVV Thanks for the info. Every little bit helps! VVV

TheStampede fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 3, 2012

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

TheStampede posted:

Short, but not that short. I'm 5'8", and roughly 140lbs. I'll have the size advantage, for sure, but he'll have a lot more experience then me.

Yeah, I had put my mind in it's right place for the last opponent, who already had a better record then me. I just couldn't help but laugh at the coincidence of you posting that advice, and the actually situation presenting itself. You're right, he isn't invincible. I'll go out there and put on the best God-drat show I can, because this is my life, and my sport, and I've worked too hard and come too far to let one fight matter. And no matter what, win or lose, he can't take away what I do from me (barring massive head trauma :haw: ).

If you check the records of the guy he fought like I just did, he's got a lot of experience fighting low level guys and doing just allright. No quality opponents (like guys who are 5-0 or w/e) everyone is like 3-2, 4-3, 2-1 etc. A guy who has over 30 fights should not fight a guy who is 2-1 and then just win a decision. He's mediocre at best and just 'has a lot of fights'. He'll likely be tough and have some cardio, but in the end, skills come first.

Also you have 7" of height of him, which is pretty amazing and should allow you to jabrape him if you want.

edit : it took him 4(!) rounds to armbar a guy who was 1-7. Anytime he fights someone quality he loses. Two of his wins come from guy who is 0 and 7.

Syphilis Fish fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 3, 2012

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

Syphilis Fish posted:

WAR, TheStampede, WAR! Good luck, hope you crush him. Watch out for the chokes.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

TheStampede posted:

Ha ha ha, so I have fight tomorrow.

Kill him! Or it might be the WAR has already been fought, and in this case I hope that you killed him.

Go Stampede!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Skulls for the skull stool, Stampede! Good luck!

widunder
May 2, 2002
Just signed up for my first tournament (white belt BJJ) here in my temporary home of Holland, coming up in three weeks from now. Kind of nervous but mostly because I can't really train all that much (judo twice a week and some rolling in a neighboring city). I rolled today and was a flabbby 187,5 lbs afterwards (with gi), supposed to drop down to 181,5. Is that doable comfortably?

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

nemoulette posted:

Just signed up for my first tournament (white belt BJJ) here in my temporary home of Holland, coming up in three weeks from now. Kind of nervous but mostly because I can't really train all that much (judo twice a week and some rolling in a neighboring city). I rolled today and was a flabbby 187,5 lbs afterwards (with gi), supposed to drop down to 181,5. Is that doable comfortably?

Where do you train? I know a couple of legit clubs for BJJ. Regardless, the level of BJJ isn't nearly as high as in say, the USA.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Syphilis Fish posted:

Where do you train? I know a couple of legit clubs for BJJ. Regardless, the level of BJJ isn't nearly as high as in say, the USA.
I live in Nijmegen. I'll be going to Den Bosch twice a week for classes the coming three weeks, I'm thinking that the judo and that should be enough. I have no idea what the level of competitors here are so it should be a nice introduction (I've never competed but trained for two or so years, but just twice a week or so).

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

TheStampede posted:

This guy

Promoters are shady assholes. They decide to pair a guy with 26 fights with a guy making his mma debut.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

nemoulette posted:

Just signed up for my first tournament (white belt BJJ) here in my temporary home of Holland, coming up in three weeks from now.

What tourney are you in? Saw a bunch pop up recently.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

nemoulette posted:

Last week I lost three kilos in two days by just eating little for two days and not drinking anything the day before the weigh in so yeah it shouldn't be a problem at all to lose those six pounds in water weight alone even. If you actually diet down the coming three weeks it should be even easier.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

Ended up losing a split decision. So it goes.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I just freaked myself out. In my bathroom, my medicine cabinet has a mirror door, and it's at 90 degrees to the main mirror. If you face the corner and shadowbox, you get not a mirror image of yourself, but instead a true translation image. This really exposes some small imbalances and posture flaws in my stance. It's a much better way to understand my positioning relative to an opponent in the same side stance.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Rhaka posted:

What tourney are you in? Saw a bunch pop up recently.
http://www.bjjholland.com/hbn/brazi...belts-only-bjj/

niethan posted:

Last week I lost three kilos in two days by just eating little for two days and not drinking anything the day before the weigh in so yeah it shouldn't be a problem at all to lose those six pounds in water weight alone even. If you actually diet down the coming three weeks it should be even easier.
Sounds good. I'm cutting all sugars and eat as few carbs as possible starting tomorrow.

widunder fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 4, 2012

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

TheStampede posted:

That sucks, was it a good fight at least?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

TheStampede posted:

A guy with 26 fights only barely managed to scrape victory from you? You should be proud of yourself, you're basically Rocky.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

TheStampede posted:

I know you're bummed, but it's a learning experience. I respect any man with the guts to make it down to the cage. I`d shake your hand and tell you to keep your chin up if I could.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Kumo Jr. posted:

I respect any man with the guts to make it down to the cage.
Seconding this.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Kumo Jr. posted:

I know you're bummed, but it's a learning experience. I respect any man with the guts to make it down to the cage. I`d shake your hand and tell you to keep your chin up if I could.

Bingo. ESPECIALLY since you knew going in it'd be a tough road to hoe. You got a lot of guts/balls/ovaries. Take your pick.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

TheStampede posted:

You went the distance against a guy with way more experience, thats excellent.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Kumo Jr. posted:

I respect any man with the guts to make it down to the cage. \

This and again this. He's had 30 or so fights and managed a split decision from you. Not knowing how it went, its likely he is the favorite, because he's had so many fights so he knows the promoters etc.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Kumo Jr. posted:

I respect any man with the guts to make it down to the cage.

Amen. You are awesome.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

TheStampede posted:

Might also have been politics if it's a split decision. I haven't seen the fight, but it's obvious that the promoter was on the other guy's side. You might have actually been the better fighter, who knows?

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

I got it on tape, so I'll post it up some time when I get a hold of it.

It could have gone either way, I suppose, but I've got a long list of stuff I want to chew myself out for. I feel like I've regressed since my last win in August. I've only had 2 fights since then. One was an unsanctioned out of state match where I kind of got outclassed in, and this one, which actually turned into a scored exhibition. My record is still the same since my win, but I know the score.

I just forgot whatever it was that motivated me initially, and I need to get back in there and find it. Too much time off for one, I suppose, and not taking some things seriously enough. My next match is in May, and I actually asked for the opponent, so I know it's going to be a tough one. I've got about 2 months to get my head back on my shoulders and squared away.

Onward and upward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

Does any of you train this? Looks legit to me :cool:

e: Thumbnail doesnt work for me, direct link:

http://imgur.com/2ze2f

Prathm fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 5, 2012

• Locked thread