Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

uh zip zoom posted:

so, is now a good time to start asking about Winds of Winter? (no, seriously)

I say we give him until 2013 and asses how updated he's keeping us before we start attacking him again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

mind the walrus posted:

I say we give him until 2013 and asses how updated he's keeping us before we start attacking him again.
With such a cease-fire in place he'll be able to devote himself to writing the book, right?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Factor_VIII posted:

With such a cease-fire in place he'll be able to devote himself to writing the book, right?

Good one.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Either way it's a cushion of reasonable leave while he adjusts to being even more famous and having a hit TV show. He got out the big "gently caress MY LIFE" book after six years of apparent creative hell, regardless of whether or not we think that's ok in the first place he's going to need time to unwind before getting back to it. Even though his age and health are major factors in being able to write more and we want him done ASAP, pushing him harder than a human being should be pushed is equally destructive.

Then in 2013 when he says he's going to need more time off because the Jets didn't make it to the playoffs again and his busy schedule of conventions and dealing with TV-related merchandise is such a drain on his creative energy, we get to remind him that he's a loving writer who chained himself to at least two more books and needs to do his loving job, and that maybe his organization is loving faulty. Bad Thread-style.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Urdnot Fire posted:

I'd be fine with a series consisting solely of Barristan, Bronn, and Davos. They could be roommates, it could be a wacky sitcom, or else they could be wandering the earth fighting baddies.

Elindale posted:

They could be constantly having to rescue their semi-handicapped friend Quentyn as he cooks up half-brained schemes to tame the dragon.

Ten years ago, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the King's Landing underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The A-Team.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
The bad thread always waits, just lurking beneath the surface for the right opportunity to make a move. Much like a Bolton (not Ramsay).

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Ten years ago, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the King's Landing underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The A-Team.

I'd watch this.

And remember, Stargate SG-1 started out as a premium cable* big money production before getting shipped off to Sci-Fi after five episodes.

*boobs

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

This would be awesome. Throw Tyrion's scheming in there somewhere and we've got a winner here.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

You're missing Syrio Forel in that. You need Syrio Forel for that scenario.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

whowhatwhere posted:

You're missing Syrio Forel in that. You need Syrio Forel for that scenario.

Just so.

That might have been the best combat scene in the serie, Syrio Forel vs. half the city guards, using a couple of sticks. Of course, he's like the one good character GRRM kills for real.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Don't let TVIV hear that or they'll cry you a river. THERE WAS NO BODY SYRIO LIVES

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

mind the walrus posted:

Don't let TVIV hear that or they'll cry you a river. THERE WAS NO BODY SYRIO LIVES

Hasn't been heard of in four books. He dead. Not to say that someone shouldn't write a serie of sequels detailing the adventure of Syrio.

Let us have a moment for the most bad-rear end motherfucker this serie has given birth to.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

Hasn't been heard of in four books. He dead. Not to say that someone shouldn't write a serie of sequels detailing the adventure of Syrio.

Let us have a moment for the most bad-rear end motherfucker this serie has given birth to.

Last time I checked, Bronn's doing just fine :c00lbert:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

I forget who but after GoT season one there was a huge resurgence of people who read all (then-Five) books who swore up and down that Syrio could be around. There is an argument for why they'd reach that conclusion, but I honestly don't think it holds up under close scrutiny.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
The best argument for Syrio being alive:

1) GRRM's brought back all sorts of characters via many different bullshit ways
2) Wishful thinking.

Syrio Lives, QED :smuggo:

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I stopped reading halfway through book 5 and forgot where I was at or whats going on. Does the second half of ADWD trump the first?

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
Does the High Septon poo poo in the Kingswood?

Mediant
Dec 23, 2010

In Brightest Day...
In Dankest Night...
Does the Dragon have three heads?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Those questions pale in importance to the classic "Where do whores go?"

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Rurik posted:

Does the High Septon poo poo in the Kingswood?

...does he?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

bigmcgaffney posted:

...does he?

If he does, you can bet there'll be a chapter about it in WoW(hahaha)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

whowhatwhere posted:

2) Wishful thinking.

Syrio confirmed for half of Frankenmountain, you heard it here first.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

bigmcgaffney posted:

...does he?

As much as Dany does in the Dothraki Sea.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Syrio confirmed for half of Frankenmountain, you heard it here first.
The lower half.

It cuts off around the navel.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
Why did that guy write "serie" in two different posts?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rurik posted:

As much as Dany does in the Dothraki Sea.

Much and more!

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Maytag posted:

Why did that guy write "serie" in two different posts?
His profile says he's from Canada so it's probably a Canadian quirk, like "aboot".

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

whowhatwhere posted:

2) Wishful thinking.

Yeah. After not hearing anything about him for 4 books one can hope he's dead. The fewer characters GRRM brings back after their apparent death the better.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Factor_VIII posted:

Yeah. After not hearing anything about him for 4 books one can hope he's dead. The fewer characters GRRM brings back after their apparent death the better.

Which of course means Gurm brings him back as Azhor Ahai/third head of the dragon.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I recall getting into a retard-fight with someone who was drat insistent that Jaquen was Syrio in disguise, which I maintain causes more problems than it solves.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

bigmcgaffney posted:

Skipped Danychat '12 to say that Davos is motherfucking milk toast.

"Milquetoast," it's the last name of a comics character from the teens/twenties with the characteristics you would expect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caspar_Milquetoast

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

I recall getting into a retard-fight with someone who was drat insistent that Jaquen was Syrio in disguise, which I maintain causes more problems than it solves.
I suppose it could work in theory, but it would be pretty pointless. Besides, having "Syrio" be Aria's guardian angel throughout the story would reduce its verisimilitude (if one supposes it has some).

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Factor_VIII posted:

I suppose it could work in theory, but it would be pretty pointless. Besides, having "Syrio" be Aria's guardian angel throughout the story would reduce its verisimilitude (if one supposes it has some).

It also raises the obvious question of what a Faceless Man was doing scouting out a small child as a swordplay instructor in the first place. What mission could he have been on that would:

A: Have allowed him to have the spare time to act as a swordplay instructor
B: Allowed him to get his "cover" killed in the name of a small child with the long-term plan of testing and recruiting her?

And those are just at absolute face value, not to mention all the questions that stem from assuming things like "If teaching Arya was part of his cover who was his target? Someone in the Stark camp? Are the Faceless Men watching over the Stark Politics? If so why didn't they do anything to intervene with Robb, or why do they give a poo poo in the first place?" and so on in an endless torrent of "why?"

Like I said it's not impossible to construct the narrative around it, but it raises far more questions than it answers and not in a good way.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Arnold of Soissons posted:

"Milquetoast," it's the last name of a comics character from the teens/twenties with the characteristics you would expect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caspar_Milquetoast

Maybe he meant actual milk toast, as if to say Davos is a soggy mess but still quite savory?

The cannibals on Skagos may soon find out for themselves.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

It also raises the obvious question of what a Faceless Man was doing scouting out a small child as a swordplay instructor in the first place. What mission could he have been on that would:

A: Have allowed him to have the spare time to act as a swordplay instructor
B: Allowed him to get his "cover" killed in the name of a small child with the long-term plan of testing and recruiting her?

And those are just at absolute face value, not to mention all the questions that stem from assuming things like "If teaching Arya was part of his cover who was his target? Someone in the Stark camp? Are the Faceless Men watching over the Stark Politics? If so why didn't they do anything to intervene with Robb, or why do they give a poo poo in the first place?" and so on in an endless torrent of "why?"

Like I said it's not impossible to construct the narrative around it, but it raises far more questions than it answers and not in a good way.

A retcon could conceivably be: the goal was to infiltrate the King's Court - since we know the Crown is in debt to the Iron Bank. It could be little more than the Iron Bank hiring them for a reconnaissance / spy mission to see if the King is dicking around with their money or actually making attempts to play back its debts.

Or the Faceless Men just want to have a spy there in general to keep tabs - similar to the Citadel with Jaqen.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

mind the walrus posted:

It's not like we're ever going to find out anyway. It's not hard to play the theory out all, which makes me not entirely sure that wasn't what Gurm was going for, but like I said, we'll never know.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Kneel Before Zog posted:

I stopped reading halfway through book 5 and forgot where I was at or whats going on. Does the second half of ADWD trump the first?

Yes, but not by much.

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

geeves posted:

A retcon could conceivably be: the goal was to infiltrate the King's Court - since we know the Crown is in debt to the Iron Bank. It could be little more than the Iron Bank hiring them for a reconnaissance / spy mission to see if the King is dicking around with their money or actually making attempts to play back its debts.

Or the Faceless Men just want to have a spy there in general to keep tabs - similar to the Citadel with Jaqen.

I guess the main reason that the theory never seemed that plausible to me was because the Faceless Men are all about being, well, faceless. Assuming that Ned stark vetted Syrio's credentials and he wasn't just boasting (which his fighting skills seem to indicate), being the First Sword of Braavos seems like a somewhat conspicuous position for a group of assassins renowned for their anonymity.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Scuzzywuffit posted:

I guess the main reason that the theory never seemed that plausible to me was because the Faceless Men are all about being, well, faceless. Assuming that Ned stark vetted Syrio's credentials and he wasn't just boasting (which his fighting skills seem to indicate), being the First Sword of Braavos seems like a somewhat conspicuous position for a group of assassins renowned for their anonymity.

You could explain around that, too, but even thinking about it puts you on the wrong side of Occam's Razor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Scuzzywuffit posted:

Yeah, I agree that the whole thing seems pretty implausible. And I don't like the superhero comic book logic where if you don't see a corpse you should assume the character is alive. Then again GRRM has been using this in his books unfortunately. It gets tiresome for characters to appear to die only to turn up again later on. Hell, even some of the characters that do die come back as undead or as Frankensteinian monsters.