Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.

Color Printer posted:

Bec teleported all the junk from Jade's House into space during Jade: Enter to prevent any of it from being accidentally prototyped. And then he went and....well, you know.

Oh! I understand now. But it looks like he moved the cruxtruder as well, which doesn't make any sense because the cruxtruder was necessary for the prototyping and went into the Medium with Jade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Lady of the Beech posted:

Oh! I understand now. But it looks like he moved the cruxtruder as well, which doesn't make any sense because the cruxtruder was necessary for the prototyping and went into the Medium with Jade.

Nope, it didn't. It's not necessary once the Kernelsprite pops out and totems are extracted. She didn't need any more totems because she had a way to get whatever she wanted: her drawing modus and all that other poo poo she got because she was the last player (I guess?)

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 4, 2012

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.

Color Printer posted:

Nope, it didn't. It's not necessary once the Kernelsprite pops out.

Actually the cruxtruder's necessary within the medium to make cruxite totems in order to alchemize stuff, and Jade had a pretty huge Gristmas once in the medium.

Oh, I see what you mean.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 34 minutes!

Okay, so I'm reading the Scratch arc right now and... uh...

What the heck is that thing in the bottom right corner?

I have never noticed it before. It looks like John's denizen, a cruxtruder, and some of Jade's Grandpa's stuff, but I have no idea why it's hanging out in a clump in space like that.

Well, how do you expect Bec to put all the stars back in the sky after the Reckoning if he can't make a katamari or two?

Here we are. Paradox space. Full of things as usual.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

loquacius posted:

Well, how do you expect Bec to put all the stars back in the sky after the Reckoning if he can't make a katamari or two?

Here we are. Paradox space. Full of things as usual.

Come to think of it, the Matriorb looks remarkably like a naked katamari.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

Actually the cruxtruder's necessary within the medium to make cruxite totems in order to alchemize stuff, and Jade had a pretty huge Gristmas once in the medium.

Oh, I see what you mean.

In addition to what's been said, Dave almost immediately set her up with an upgraded alchemiter that did the whole totemless alchemy thing. If you go forward a dozen pages or so you'll see that happen! (I may know this because I also had a moment of "wait, what about the totems" and flipped forward a bit myself last night.)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Rooreelooo posted:

I assume that derse always needs to win and any session in which prospit wins ends up as a beta timeline and everyone in it is doomed

Although in an ideological sense, Prospit wins when (if) the players manage to make a new universe and beat the black king, despite most if not all actual Prospitians being dead by that point. White still needs to lose the battle on Skaia for the reckoning to start, yeah, but they only lose the session if the players do.

There is probably some message intended in the ideal of creativity/creation being unable to sustain itself and requiring [kind of] outside intervention and an active struggle to continue, and that if nobody tries [to move forward], destruction/entropy wins by default. drat if I know what it is though! :downs:

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

Hmm, reading about the Sufferer, I wonder where UU and the A1 trolls got their Sufferer symbols from, seeing as the A2 Sufferer took his symbol from the iron shackles in which he was executed. Because the A1 Sufferer never did this due to no need and being very young, I wonder where the symbol came from?

Also, His Righteous Leggings is the best epithet ever.

EDIT: Hey, seeing as in A2 alternia trolls are very expressive of their blood colors and build how they present themselves around them, I wonder what stops a low-blood troll from pretending to have higher blood?

Lady of the Beech fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 5, 2012

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Sign of the Scorpion

I don't think there are enough songs about Vriska, Mindfang, A1 Mindfang, etc.

That is because there are never enough songs about Vriska!!!!!!!! ::::)

EDIT: Hey, seeing as in A2 alternia trolls are very expressive of their blood colors and build how they present themselves around them, I wonder what stops a low-blood troll from pretending to have higher blood?

As trolls mature, their irises take on the color of their blood. I can't remember if it was ever actually explicitly stated, but the adult ancestors have been shown with eyes that match their blood color and the kids haven't.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

Well Manicured Man posted:

Sign of the Scorpion

As trolls mature, their irises take on the color of their blood. I can't remember if it was ever actually explicitly stated, but the adult ancestors have been shown with eyes that match their blood color and the kids haven't.

Oh yeah, you're right. That'd complicate things a bit.

Then again you could just wear shades for the rest of your life.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Appropriately enough, Vriska said this.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

They also blush, cry and of course bleed their blood colour. So if they're in any sort of society it's going to be really obvious - the moment bloodfaking troll takes a brisk walk and their cheeks tinge a chocolatey brown all their peers will know the awful truth.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

I'm greatly anticipating that album.. And if Witching Hour isn't on it, I'll be honestly surprised, because that was easily one of the best contenders I laid ears upon, and perfectly brought to mind potential flashes as well. That said, I hope this pause is related to Hussie doing a flash, and not just finishing up any work related to the album or something. You never know.

Paul.Power posted:

In many ways we're being set up for a whole bunch of Flash callbacks. Jane's entry seems to be mirroring John and Jade's entries somewhat, Dirk's going to be climbing stairs a la Dave, Roxy's in a similar predicament to WV at the End of Act 2 (although if the lab suddenly takes off I'm going to go "wut"). Less certain with Jake, but he is at least getting that uranium and about to sendify the bunny that starts this whole mess off.

Hmm, where have we had a flash that involved bunnies before........ :allears: Do it, Hussie. You know you want to.

Hmm, reading about the Sufferer, I wonder where UU and the A1 trolls got their Sufferer symbols from, seeing as the A2 Sufferer took his symbol from the iron shackles in which he was executed. Because the A1 Sufferer never did this due to no need and being very young, I wonder where the symbol came from?

Also, His Righteous Leggings is the best epithet ever.

I'm wondering if the Sufferer's symbol isn't going to end up being one of those memetic-esque callback things of which I forget the in-comic name for Scratch mentioned.. Where things that look similar keep happening due to fate/coincidence. Which would mean the Sufferer's cuffs were basically a callback to something from the A1 session we haven't seen yet. Like if pre-scratch Sufferer had no available symbol due to unused blood color, so he simply drew his own, which then ended up by fate being the manacles that seared him for his originality in the next life. And then maybe for some reason they came back in another form for the potential post-game session that UU and uu are in.

As for the blood color issue, I'd assume it's a pretty serious crime to impersonate another color, and/or maybe Trolls are societally disposed to not want to do so, not to mention it could be a hard ruse to keep up at times. I assume people just going anonymous with gray like Karkat are probably more common than actual fakers.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Midnight Raider posted:

That said, I hope this pause is related to Hussie doing a flash, and not just finishing up any work related to the album or something. You never know.

You know, since Andrew usually (but not always) releases a flash on the same day as an album, it is at least possible that we'll get a flash. But who knows.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eridanus_Supervoid
Suddenly bummed Eridan wasn't a hero of void.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Appropriately enough, Vriska said this.
I've been needing something to read on the computer while I fool myself into thinking that I'm getting work done. This right here...is probably going to make me read Homestuck again. How many pages is it now? 6000?

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Not quite. It's in the 4600s now.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Elysiume posted:

I've been needing something to read on the computer while I fool myself into thinking that I'm getting work done. This right here...is probably going to make me read Homestuck again. How many pages is it now? 6000?

MSPA as a whole is at 6564, minus a few blanks. Homestuck started around page 1900.

Apkallu
May 8, 2007

Elysiume posted:

I just went from zero to fully caught up between Feb 21 or 22 and Feb 29. I can't say I recommend that because my brain is still sizzling a bit.

Edit: Whoops, I missed the part where you say you're reading it again. I suppose you won't have as much brain fizz, but I didn't realize that going into this...

Apkallu fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 5, 2012

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
I'm reading through Problem Sleuth and I can imagine people complaining about how complicated PS was.

And then came Homestuck.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Eggie posted:

I'm reading through Problem Sleuth and I can imagine people complaining about how complicated PS was.

And then came Homestuck.

And on the other side of the coin are the people who could never imagine it would be topped by a story about kids playing a computer game.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I just finished watching Cascade again. Now that I have the luxury of having seen it once and the entire archive after that, I understand and appreciate it much better than I did before, and it's still pretty awesome. :)

The one thing that still remains a mystery to me is how Dave and Rose get their god tiers. I can get behind Dave combining with Davesprite, but quite honestly I don't understand where Rose got another self from. The one from the alternate doomed timeline? But that one ceased to exist.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

I just finished watching Cascade again. Now that I have the luxury of having seen it once and the entire archive after that, I understand and appreciate it much better than I did before, and it's still pretty awesome. :)

The one thing that still remains a mystery to me is how Dave and Rose get their god tiers. I can get behind Dave combining with Davesprite, but quite honestly I don't understand where Rose got another self from. The one from the alternate doomed timeline? But that one ceased to exist.

The way Dave and Rose reached God Tier is different from how Jade and John did. Basically, in the first method (John's), you die on your quest bed on your planet(/skaia), become your dreamself, which ascends. In the second method (Dave's), you're essentially doing the same thing, but you're dying on a tablet from Prospit/Derse as your dreamself, which then ascends. This is also how Aradia ascended.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah, the quest bed slab + dreamself (+ green fire????) doesn't require two bodies.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Hussie mentioned on his Tumblr that if a player's only remaining life dies on a Quest Slab, they can also ascend to God-Tier, regardless of if they are or are not a Dreamself. He also implied that immolating in the fires of the Green Sun may or may not be an important factor.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
Also keep in mind that Davesprite isn't based on a dreamself like Jadesprite is. That's why he's still around and hanging out on the battleship with John and Jade.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

That reminds me of something. When beta Dave went back in time and became Davesprite, why didn't he bring beta Rose with him? Did they know she'd be giving alpha Rose those memories?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I've always assumed that a Time dude couldn't bring anyone back with them.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

Wrist Watch posted:

That reminds me of something. When beta Dave went back in time and became Davesprite, why didn't he bring beta Rose with him? Did they know she'd be giving alpha Rose those memories?

They suspected it would happen, hence why Beta Dave told Beta Rose to go to sleep before he went back in time and effectively erased the doomed timeline.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Sign of the Scorpion

What is the post from Jit and crew that you were talking about in that post?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Walliard posted:

And on the other side of the coin are the people who could never imagine it would be topped by a story about kids playing a computer game.

This was me. I remember quitting Homestuck back when it was John and his sylladex because I thought it would be exactly that.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Dave and Rose who died in Cascade where their dream selves. They secretly had quest beds in the core of the moon of Derse (this is apparently something that every player has, as it was the means of Aradia's resurrection), and were standing on them when the Green Sun was created and killed them, allowing them to be resurrected right on the spot.

None of the players with time powers have been depicted bringing anybody else with them, so it's reasonable to assume only the cool guy with the turntables (or the robot with the music boxes, or whatever) and the ability to use them gets to travel through time.

The exact mechanism whereby dream Rose retained memories of that timeline probably have something to do with dreambubbles and the sort of Furthest Ring nonsense that Derse dreamers can get into, but at the time, all Dave knew was that if any memories were to be retained, it was most likely going to work because of dreams. Specifically, on this page, he said:

quote:

TG: our dream selves kind of operate outside the normal time continuum i think
TG: so if part of you from this timelines going to persist thats probably the way to make it happen

Davesprite was made from a Dave from a beta timeline, so he'd be a different entity. The dream Jade used to make Jadesprite, on the other hand, was an alpha Jade. Either that or the fact that Davesprite was made from a waking self and Jadesprite from a dream self made the difference, or it could've been both.

This comic has done irreparable damage to my vocabulary.

Rykert
Mar 13, 2010
Oh lord. It's happened.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Rykert posted:

Oh lord. It's happened.

I can't really tell what his reaction is. I don't think he can either.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Aw, they spoiled it.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think Hussie paused the comic so he could hide. We've reached the singularity or something.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Rykert posted:

Oh lord. It's happened.

For clarification, some chucklefuck thought it'd be great to spoil the big reveal to Dante for shits and giggles.

Here's a follow up post to the aftermath: http://kawaiiscout.tumblr.com/post/18780822878/tumblr-is-funny

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 5, 2012

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

pandaK posted:

For clarification, some chucklefuck thought it'd be great to spoil the big reveal to Dante for shits and giggles.

Here's a follow up post to the aftermath: http://kawaiiscout.tumblr.com/post/18780822878/tumblr-is-funny

Supposedly she didn't do it, her dad did it for shits and giggles? *shrugs*

So I know it's a bit of a stretch but I'm hoping a flash drops in like a week or so concurrently with the album, and the flash is set to Witc)(ing )(our. Because oh my god that track.

Also, I rewatched Cascade today and caught an amusingly adorable little detail: when Jade is on her quest bed and hummingbirds are flocking, there's like one or two of them just perched on her.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The flash is likely to have some take on Sburban Jungle and another on Upward Movement, considering what's happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I think I'm finally beginning to kind of get what is going on in the story, but there's one story thread that has me stumped. What happened to the Alternian Jack? I tried to read stuff from the chapter to find out, but the last time I can find information about him is when he's shown fighting alongside Karkat. Did he just cease existing?

EDIT: Oh, and also: in [s]Cascade, both the white king and Jack are shown entering those flower capsule thingios. Assuming the idea is that they both then spent hundreds of years in the capsule in order to a) let the white king and white queen meet and b) let Jack kill both, there're a couple things I don't get. How were they able to enter the *same* capsule? This far when something has been put into one, it has closed and that's it, but here the flower is open when Jack arrives, as if the white king hadn't entered it at all. Also how does Jack even know that he can reach the white king/queen that way? He didn't see the white king enter the flower.

Hempuli fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Mar 5, 2012