Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kt88
Aug 15, 2003

hunter x az posted:

So, you're making fun of his house having too many chimneys? :lol:

Yes I am. His house has a comical number of chimneys. Whats your point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003

Kt88 posted:

Whatever makes you laugh, I suppose. I'm just always surprised to see folks who claim to be "Stern fans" -- when all they do is just complain about him, Beth, his show, etc. "We're mad because he's not like he used to be 30 years ago!", etc.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
yeah who would've guessed people who have been listening to a guy complain about everything in the world for 25 years will complain when he starts doing stupid bullshit and turns into everything he once mocked.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

hunter x az posted:

Whatever makes you laugh, I suppose. I'm just always surprised to see folks who claim to be "Stern fans" -- when all they do is just complain about him, Beth, his show, etc. "We're mad because he's not like he used to be 30 years ago!", etc.

That only assumes that it's a time difference. So far he's turned into everything he used to rail against, negating what made him famous. The fact that he doesn't have a problem with it shows that the man everybody likes really never existed.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

hunter x az posted:

Easy, Bobo.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
Word. Understand your opinions on the subject. Great news is, you can solve all of your problems by simply not listening or paying attention to him anymore!

I'm such a problem solver. You're welcome guys. :D

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

hunter x az posted:

Word. Understand your opinions on the subject. Great news is, you can solve all of your problems by simply not listening or paying attention to him anymore!

I'm such a problem solver. You're welcome guys. :D

Have you ever contributed anything to this thread other than this antagonistic point of view?

Are you Scott DePace?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

hunter x az posted:

Haven't listened to Stern in a couple years since Artie left, but was listening to TWUS today and heard a segment about JD and Jason fighting... any clips of that on the show? WHat's the background?

Hasn't listened to show in years, still shits up this thread with a fury whenever Howard needs a white knight.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

On one hand I want to say just ignore hunter x az's bi-annual making GBS threads up of this thread before he inevitably gets probated in another forum, but on the other I feel compelled to say that I haven't listened to the show in about 2 years now, and wish to know what's still good about it, so...hunter x az, your thoughts?

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008

Kt88 posted:

What do you do for a living?

chiz
Sep 28, 2002
Hunter he clearly doesn't give a gently caress about the product anymore when he spends an hour on DWTS or AGT and doesn't replace anyone in the Artie/Jackie chair. Plus he's suing Sirius, starting that new job, I mean come on. He clearly doesn't give a gently caress about his radio show anymore.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

chiz posted:

Hunter he clearly doesn't give a gently caress about the product anymore when he spends an hour on DWTS or AGT and doesn't replace anyone in the Artie/Jackie chair. Plus he's suing Sirius, starting that new job, I mean come on. He clearly doesn't give a gently caress about his radio show anymore.

The only reason this thread is still around is because Artie is still doing entertaining stuff. Outside of some digressions about Eric the Pathetic Midget, there's really nothing left to discuss. Howard wasn't lying when he said he is still doing the show for the people working there, mostly because this is pretty much it until the contract runs out or him and Sirius part ways.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Just watched National Lampoon's Vacation, and Beth really does look a lot like a younger Christie Brinkley.

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010
I think that a lot of the fans are hoping against hope that he will come to his senses and return to his former self, that's why they're sticking around. It's hard when after thirty years he does almost a complete 180. Unfortunately it doesn't seem that he will return to "normal" as long as he's married to Beth. Who knows, this could have been the type of person he was all along, it just took Beth to make him show his true self. I haven't listened to Stern in years, I just like to read the thread to hear about the train wreck that is the show and also Artie stuff. You can't fault people for feeling betrayed.

e:spelling

porkfriedrice fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Mar 5, 2012

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

porkfriedrice posted:

I think that a lot of the fans are hoping against hope that he will come to his senses and return to his former self, that's why they're sticking around. It's hard when after thirty years he does almost a complete 180. Unfortunatley it doesn't seem that he will return to "normal" as long as he's married to Beth. Who knows, this could have been the type of person he was all along, it just took Beth to make him show his true self. I haven't listened to Stern in years, I just like to read the thread to hear about the train wreck that is the show and also Artie stuff. You can't fault people for feeling betrayed.

It's probably who he always wanted to be but not having it created the hatred and bitterness. His empathy with the common man was simply because he wasn't one of the chosen. That doesn't make him particularly unique, there are plenty of people who would want to be the 1%(man, could you imagine old Howard with the Occupy stuff?) and would do it in a heartbeat. It's not necessarily his fault, either, he basically grew up thinking he was inadequate in every area of his life except radio.

None of this makes him a bad person, it just makes him a hypocrite, which is basically the only true insult people have to hurl at a guy worth hundreds of millions of dollars who is married to a good looking woman.

I don't say this to defend him, we're just at a point, or actually way past it, where he quit caring about the show and just wants to enjoy the life he built and we as fans feel betrayed because of how he's letting the show go. I think people would have shown a bigger respect for him if he simply said a few years back "I've had a good career, I love you all, but now is the time to go" and called it a day on the radio.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Mar 5, 2012

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

On the bright side, all this time off means the low-paid employees like JD can work a second job on the side without it interfering with the show!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Hardly. Howard would have a nuclear meltdown if staffers got a regular part time job.

H: "You have so much time that you can work another job? What bits/segments have you produced over the last two months?"

Staffer: "Well..there was the [whatever] segment.

H: "Great, now make fifty more of those and then you can use your 'spare time' to do another job. I swear to God, everyone around here takes advantage of me. They know I'm too nice to fire them so they gently caress me over."

etc etc, for 2 hours a day for 2 weeks.

Though honestly it would make for more interesting radio than he has been putting out for the last many months.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Indolent Bastard posted:

Hardly. Howard would have a nuclear meltdown if staffers got a regular part time job.

H: "You have so much time that you can work another job? What bits/segments have you produced over the last two months?"

Staffer: "Well..there was the [whatever] segment.

H: "Great, now make fifty more of those and then you can use your 'spare time' to do another job. I swear to God, everyone around here takes advantage of me. They know I'm too nice to fire them so they gently caress me over."

etc etc, for 2 hours a day for 2 weeks.

Though honestly it would make for more interesting radio than he has been putting out for the last many months.

No, but you see today he was complaining about how mean they are to him at Sirius and how they cut the budget. He said "in a few weeks" he is going to talk about it.

I would imagine Howard realizes that they are being lovely to him because he is suing them, though I don't know why he doesn't make that connection on-air.

Agent Burt Macklin fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 5, 2012

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Kelly posted:

No, but you see today he was complaining about how mean they are to him at Sirius and how they cut the budget. He said "in a few weeks" he is going to talk about it.

I would imagine Howard realizes that they are being lovely to him because he is suing him, though I don't know why he doesn't make that connection on-air.

Maybe this contract is different from previous ones, but I know his initial one had him getting a giant chunk of money that he got to use to pay all the expenses. I wonder how much money outside of his contract comes from Sirius/XM.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

prefect posted:

Maybe this contract is different from previous ones, but I know his initial one had him getting a giant chunk of money that he got to use to pay all the expenses. I wonder how much money outside of his contract comes from Sirius/XM.

Did we ever figure that out for sure? He says he doesn't pay anyone there and always complained even back then about Sirius being stingy with the budget - I thought he just kept that money.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The Imus bashing this morning was entertaining.

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP
The show definitely isn't as good as it used to be and Howard obviously doesn't care as much anymore BUT his show is still superior to most other radio, in my opinion.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Kelly posted:

Did we ever figure that out for sure? He says he doesn't pay anyone there and always complained even back then about Sirius being stingy with the budget - I thought he just kept that money.

People on SFN did some pretty good digging through Sirius financials and public statements, and it sure looked like Howard was taking home 80 million per year, with the other twenty being used for everything/everyone else. There was apparently a "history of Howard" episode where Don Buchwald came out and admitted that it was the same structure even back at terrestrial -- there was a pool of money for "Howard's show", and everybody's money came from the same place.

Jackie was right. :smith:

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Streebs posted:

The show definitely isn't as good as it used to be and Howard obviously doesn't care as much anymore BUT his show is still superior to most other radio, in my opinion.

This is where I stand. I've actually been liking what few shows we've been getting, there have been a lot of entertaining interviews and there's almost always some sort of fight each week. Lots of goofing on Ronnie as of late, which I consider in league with ETM- it'll always be entertaining, no matter how tired it is.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Vakal posted:

The Imus bashing this morning was entertaining.

you mean the show of the conversation we are having here?

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice
I'm listening to old ETM clips and I get way too irritated about how much the crew loves Fratto. Howard normally hates schticky plug whores and he gets fiercely territorial whenever someone outside the show gloms onto a member of the wack pack. Unfortunately, he also develops a man-crush on any dope who has a whiff of mafia on them.

I'm an Eric the Midget purist.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Bonzo posted:

you mean the show of the conversation we are having here?

As tired as Stern is now, he has not quite reached Don "death warmed over" Imus level yet.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Snark posted:

I'm listening to old ETM clips and I get way too irritated about how much the crew loves Fratto. Howard normally hates schticky plug whores and he gets fiercely territorial whenever someone outside the show gloms onto a member of the wack pack. Unfortunately, he also develops a man-crush on any dope who has a whiff of mafia on them.

I'm an Eric the Midget purist.

Fratto's first few appearances were actually pretty good, but he ran out of material in a hurry. I wonder how much he benefits from getting onto the Stern show once in a while.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

porkfriedrice posted:

I think that a lot of the fans are hoping against hope that he will come to his senses and return to his former self, that's why they're sticking around. It's hard when after thirty years he does almost a complete 180. Unfortunately it doesn't seem that he will return to "normal" as long as he's married to Beth. Who knows, this could have been the type of person he was all along, it just took Beth to make him show his true self. I haven't listened to Stern in years, I just like to read the thread to hear about the train wreck that is the show and also Artie stuff. You can't fault people for feeling betrayed.

The world teaches everyone you must break it until you make it, then you fake it while you bank it.

This AGT thing takes off and Howard will be rewarded even more (with money) for being mainstream and boring and safe and soon his house will be entirely built out of chimneys

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Today is the 30th aniiversary of John Belushi's death. I wonder if Artie is gonna talk about it tonight.

YOU'RE OUT. EXPELLED, YOU'RE THROUGH HERE AT THE JFSC, I WANT YOU PACKED UP AND GONE BY 9 O CLOCK MONDAY MORNING!

chiz
Sep 28, 2002
shutup FATASS

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

No need to check the email box, little man!

chiz
Sep 28, 2002
thinking back on Eric and his shenanigans, I'm wondering how it is possible to just rub yourself against you bed to blow a load. I don't know how it's possible to do this.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

chiz posted:

thinking back on Eric and his shenanigans, I'm wondering how it is possible to just rub yourself against you bed to blow a load. I don't know how it's possible to do this.

I'm sure you will figure it out one day.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
I don't even think it takes that much in your early teens.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

prefect posted:

Fratto's first few appearances were actually pretty good, but he ran out of material in a hurry. I wonder how much he benefits from getting onto the Stern show once in a while.

Artie, master of three impressions, turned his Johnny Fratto into the Dan Felatto Gelato Mulatto Chicago accent that we all know and love today.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

That leaky roof will cost you thousands in repairs!

chiz
Sep 28, 2002
unfortunately they aren't in the same zipcode, nay timezone as Chazz or the guy who laughs at everything.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003

chiz posted:

Sure, this may be the case, but the fact still remains -- if you don't like it anymore, because you feel like he doesn't give a gently caress about it, then why do you listen and subject yourself to it?

I think it's mostly because it's the hip thing to do on forums.

porkfriedrice posted:

That's not going to happen. Howard has said himself that he's become more tame as he's aged, and he has already won all his battles to reach the top. Yes, I can fault people for being betrayed... he owes you nothing. He provided (and arguably still does) entertainment for millions upon millions of people for over three decades.

There were three pretty distinct stages of his career. Beginning, middle, and current. In the beginning he was that crazy Stern we all remember, this was in the 80s to early 90s -- all those rabid fights, controversies, etc. Then we had the Stern who really made it big and hit mainstream in the 90s and 00s with movies, tv, bits on the show, etc, and now he's a 55 year old man who is content with what he's done, likes working (or at least likes the routine and framework it provides) and has laid off a lot of the bits and running gags and flame wars.

I think he still likes doing the show but puts energy into it a different way. He's an older guy.

As has been said during his 30+ year career... if you don't like it, turn it off.

It's fine to listen and criticize for bits that are lame, bad interviews, but when your sole purpose of listening is just to over-analyze, scrutinize, and lament at how bad he is now compared to x_period, you're just doing yourself a disservice.

Life is a lot more enjoyable when you're not busy being lovely and negative about something all the time. Drop the negativity and you'll be a lot happier...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

hunter x az posted:

Life is a lot more enjoyable when you're not busy being lovely and negative about something all the time. Drop the negativity and you'll be a lot happier...

That's the kind of thing people used to say about Howard. "He's got so much talent, if only he put it to good use instead of being mean..."