Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Vagrancy posted:

Apparently Google are working with ASUS to release a $199 7" Nexus tablet with Tegra 3

Pinch of salt applies, but it makes sense given ASUS' "first to get Jelly Bean" comments earlier in the week and the Google play domain registrations. It would also explain where the 7" ASUS Memo disappeared to.

After my debacle with the ASUS 1201N netbook, I wouldn't trust them to make a good laptop, let alone a tablet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
The space key on my transformer prime is already bent and a little broken, is there a way to buy replacement keys?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

LastCaress posted:

The space key on my transformer prime is already bent and a little broken, is there a way to buy replacement keys?

Have you tried eBay?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

LastCaress posted:

call the company

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Is there any reason not to go for a refurbished Toshiba Thrive? I have a vizio 8 inch now, and the lack of apps is limiting its usefulness.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

red19fire posted:

Is there any reason not to go for a refurbished Toshiba Thrive? I have a vizio 8 inch now, and the lack of apps is limiting its usefulness.

It's a not very well made tablet made by a company that is not very reliable and you basically can get a better buy for your money?

If it doesn't have ice cream sandwich do not buy it. And with the remarks Andy Rubin made about Android, it is arguable that now is a bad time to look at Android tablets (ie Android isn't focusing on tablet apps).

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Duckman2008 posted:

It's a not very well made tablet made by a company that is not very reliable and you basically can get a better buy for your money?

If it doesn't have ice cream sandwich do not buy it. And with the remarks Andy Rubin made about Android, it is arguable that now is a bad time to look at Android tablets (ie Android isn't focusing on tablet apps).

Wait, got a source for that quote? I understood it to mean that Google thinks that apps don't need to differentiate between screen sizes (which is a debatable point). To say that "Android isn't focusing on tablet apps" is unclear since it's the developers that make that decision.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

My Linux Rig posted:

After my debacle with the ASUS 1201N netbook, I wouldn't trust them to make a good laptop, let alone a tablet.

I've had a N61 for about a year and a half now, solid laptop (awful battery life)

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Matlock posted:

I've had a N61 for about a year and a half now, solid laptop (awful battery life)
Oh cool. Wish I could have gotten a good asus laptop.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Putting in another good word for Asus laptops. The G53SW is solid as hell.

They've had some flops, but they're still far from being Gateway, Compaq or MSI. Sucks for people who got one of the lemons, but I honestly can't think of a laptop manufacturer who hasn't had some of those.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kynetx posted:

Wait, got a source for that quote? I understood it to mean that Google thinks that apps don't need to differentiate between screen sizes (which is a debatable point). To say that "Android isn't focusing on tablet apps" is unclear since it's the developers that make that decision.

We are thinking of the same thing. Google is focusing in tablets yes, but with andy Rubin going on and on about apps not needing to be optimized, its just drat depressing. Yes, this is beating a dead horse in this thread but some apps scale fine, some just don't.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Duckman2008 posted:

We are thinking of the same thing. Google is focusing in tablets yes, but with andy Rubin going on and on about apps not needing to be optimized, its just drat depressing. Yes, this is beating a dead horse in this thread but some apps scale fine, some just don't.
He probably said that knowing that optimizing apps for a specific resolution would be impossible on android, what with the multiple screen sizes it has.

Although, I don't get why they don't restrict the number of different resolutions out there for their devices. They do realize that cell phones/tablets aren't laptops/desktops right? Apps don't reside in a window, they take up the whole screen, so it's not really advantageous to have a variety of screen sizes out there for your brand of smartphone/tablet.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

What are good twitter apps for tablets? The official one seems buggy on my prime.

The Angry Spaniard
Jan 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

What are good twitter apps for tablets? The official one seems buggy on my prime.

I use Seesmic on my Prime. It's pretty good and very responsive.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Just various sports streams like firstrowsports.eu or vipbox.tv. last night official mls streams were wonky too. Doesnt help some of those sites are bloated with ads.
Try Opera Mobile. You can enable one flash element without enabling all of them.

Kynetx posted:

Don't misunderstand me, there are many reasons why the platforms is still so small, they are by and large perception issues. The platform is solid, the UI and UX is excellent and it has something to offer people, but nobody can really see it because US CDMA carriers will only offer one model and salespeople would rather slam-dunk an iPhone in 5 minutes than educate themselves and the customers on the alternatives. Although I've never had an ounce of trouble with my SGSII, I'd jump at the chance to get the version running Phone 7. Sprint has the clunky HTC Arrive and has more or less said that they are not interested in anything else.
Yes tell me more about how carriers are keeping Windows Phone down and how salespeople would rather just sell iPhones, the comissions from which they must be swimming in...

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cardboard Box A posted:

Try Opera Mobile. You can enable one flash element without enabling all of them.

Yes tell me more about how carriers are keeping Windows Phone down and how salespeople would rather just sell iPhones, the comissions from which they must be swimming in...

Verizon and ATT you are mostly dead on in the (lack of) commissions. Sprint actually pays decently to sell the iphone.

My Linux Rig posted:

He probably said that knowing that optimizing apps for a specific resolution would be impossible on android, what with the multiple screen sizes it has.

Although, I don't get why they don't restrict the number of different resolutions out there for their devices. They do realize that cell phones/tablets aren't laptops/desktops right? Apps don't reside in a window, they take up the whole screen, so it's not really advantageous to have a variety of screen sizes out there for your brand of smartphone/tablet.

This is getting out of my expertise, but I have friends who are full time app developers, and at the very least on the phone side don't have too many issues getting their apps to scale correctly for different screens and resolutions (only exception really being low end Android phones). I know you disagree, but I've used the same apps across a good number of phones, and don't usually run into issues at all.

Now, could tablets be different, I honesty don't know.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 5, 2012

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

I've become a fan of Plume

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Cardboard Box A posted:

tell me more about how carriers are keeping Windows Phone down and how salespeople would rather just sell iPhones, the comissions from which they must be swimming in...

Are you refuting that point? If so, get on with it. Your sarcasm makes you sound real cool, but I'm curious about what you're thinking. If I'm wrong, I'd like to hear other opinions.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
Over this weekend I ended up very stupidly dropping my Xoom at a party, and now the screen is (Slightly) cracked and the SD Card slot doesn't work. As such I've retired it and given it to my girlfriend to use, as she doesn't mind the defects. Since the Transformer Infinity doesn't have a release date announced, I've decided I'm just gonna grab a Prime tomorrow morning.

My question is thus: Is the keyboard dock actually worth it?

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I've only got the original Transformer. I essentially use this thing as a netbook that I can occasionally turn into a tablet if I want. It's in the dock 90% (ish?) of the time.
If that sounds like an alright idea, I'd go for it. If you're just going to use it like an actual tablet and dock it sometimes... eh.
I mean, it's certainly been worth it for me, but that's because this is my only laptop-like thing. If you already have a laptop you use and just want a tablet as well I wouldn't bother.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Kirk posted:

Over this weekend I ended up very stupidly dropping my Xoom at a party, and now the screen is (Slightly) cracked and the SD Card slot doesn't work. As such I've retired it and given it to my girlfriend to use, as she doesn't mind the defects. Since the Transformer Infinity doesn't have a release date announced, I've decided I'm just gonna grab a Prime tomorrow morning.

I give it a qualified yes. As a keyboard, it's mediocre. For me it's marginally faster than Thumb Keyboard because of the mistakes I make on it. The small size causes a lot of bad strikes because my fingers sometimes land between keys or miss them alltogether. I'd probably get better with time, who knows. When typing in stuff that isn't language, it's far better since you don't have to fight with spell correction, auto spacing and prediction.
The battery boost the keyboard gives takes the run time from days to well over a week. Even without it I have to fight the urge to constantly turn it off. I can easily stream Google Music or Spotify all day with the screen on.
The extra SD card slot is nice, but I don't use it a whole lot.
The USB ports are really slick and open up a lot of cool scenarios. The dock has enough current on the USB port to spin up my 1TB external drive. It can even mount an NTFS volume. That was a shock. I can mount my GSII or any other device as USB mass storage and transfer files. You could theoretically plug in a full-sized keyboard and mouse. A few folks have managed to write drivers for Ethernet adaptors. The list goes on.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
Speaking of Spotify, I live in Canada so the only version available to me is the premium. Anyone know really quick what the monthly cost is? I can't find it anywhere on the Canadian version ofo the site and don't have access to my USA VPN at the moment.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Kirk posted:

For me it is. I love this thing, it has replaced my laptop. But then, I can't palm a basketball.

I will say I don't think it can serve ALL your general purpose computing needs at this time; I still have a Windows 7 desktop. The Splashtop HD bundled inside the ASUS tools works great to connect to it.

Edit: it's even better if you've ported your number to Google Voice. It's great getting text notifications in the notification area and replying to them on a real keyboard.

Rastor fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 5, 2012

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Rastor posted:

For me it is. I love this thing, it has replaced my laptop. But then, I can't palm a basketball.

I will say I don't think it can serve ALL your general purpose computing needs at this time; I still have a Windows 7 desktop. The Splashtop HD bundled inside the ASUS tools works great to connect to it.

Edit: it's even better if you've ported your number to Google Voice. It's great getting text notifications in the notification area and replying to them on a real keyboard.

I've been debating getting the dock for my Prime as soon as I have the money, and your post helped me as well.

I didn't realize that Splashtop was included with the ASUS tools though!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

This is getting out of my expertise, but I have friends who are full time app developers, and at the very least on the phone side don't have too many issues getting their apps to scale correctly for different screens and resolutions (only exception really being low end Android phones).

This is correct. Good programmers do not design apps that are based around the idea of 'this bit of the UI should occupy exactly this many pixels'. A well-written app will scale. If you write your UI like it's 1995 and manually position everything, not only will your app not scale properly but it also can't be internationalised properly because given strings of text are longer or shorter in other languages and won't fit in the same screen size.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

IT Guy posted:

Speaking of Spotify, I live in Canada so the only version available to me is the premium. Anyone know really quick what the monthly cost is? I can't find it anywhere on the Canadian version ofo the site and don't have access to my USA VPN at the moment.

To use the mobile version I'm paying 10 bucks. I can definitely see the mobile version being awesome for tablets.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Kirk posted:

I never use mine. For browsing the web or watching media, I don't need it. Hell, I prefer not to have it 'cause the device is easier to manipulate without the dock getting in the way. The extra SD slot is nice but I've used it about three times to get pictures off, though that may be because I never have the dock on me. I find typing on screen is just fine for short busts and typing on the keyboard I'm more prone to mistakes than using a full sized keyboard (though that may be a lack of practice). The only thing I use it for these days is the extra battery life if I'm going somewhere for longer than just to work for 8 hours. Otherwise, I leave it at home because I don't need to lug around the extra weight.

For example, I had it this weekend. I got to my parents' house, unplugged the dock, used it all day, plugged it in at night to recharge the tablet over night, unplugged it for the next day. The only real use it got was to briefly hold up the tablet when I watched a video while eating.

I'm not using it as a productivity device, though. Depends on your use case.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

IT Guy posted:

Speaking of Spotify, I live in Canada so the only version available to me is the premium.

How do you even do this? VPN?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

kevdude posted:

How do you even do this? VPN?

I use Unblock Us

You need to sign up through an IP address of a valid country. Once that is done you can listen to it from any country but only with the premium service.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Don't know if anyone's posted this already, but Toshiba is apparently flirting with the idea of a 13.3" Win 8 tablet:
http://www.reghardware.com/2012/03/06/toshiba_outs_monster_13_inch_tablet_concept/

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Scaramouche posted:

Don't know if anyone's posted this already, but Toshiba is apparently flirting with the idea of a 13.3" Win 8 tablet:
http://www.reghardware.com/2012/03/06/toshiba_outs_monster_13_inch_tablet_concept/

I imagine there will be lots of unweidly large tablets meant to go into keyboard docks. Just wait, guaranteed there is going to be a size race and we are going to see 21" tablets.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Scaramouche posted:

It's good to see that the race to make the hugest thing ever isn't just an Android phone thing.*

*Literally dripping with sarcasm

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Don Lapre posted:

I imagine there will be lots of unweidly large tablets meant to go into keyboard docks. Just wait, guaranteed there is going to be a size race and we are going to see 21" tablets.

I've always believed the real problem with the HP HDX was the lack of ability to remove the screen and use it by itself.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

can't wait to put my android tablet on some milk crates and have a coffee table.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

vkeios posted:

can't wait to put my android tablet on some milk crates and have a coffee table.
And the Microsoft SurfaceTM re-emerges.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

randyest posted:

And the Microsoft SurfaceTM re-emerges.

These things are actually pretty awesome. I would love to have one of these.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Glimm posted:

These things are actually pretty awesome. I would love to have one of these.

It's true, they are. And I'm getting me one of those 13.3" tablets--I don't care if it runs DR-DOS.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Does the Transformer Prime with ICS have as big of a problem with random boot-looping that the TF101 does? At least every other day, I'll open up my tablet to find it on the ASUS boot screen with either the spinning loading circle, or the circle will be frozen. The weird thing is it seems to murder my dock battery but not really affect the tablet battery.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Does the Transformer Prime with ICS have as big of a problem with random boot-looping that the TF101 does? At least every other day, I'll open up my tablet to find it on the ASUS boot screen with either the spinning loading circle, or the circle will be frozen. The weird thing is it seems to murder my dock battery but not really affect the tablet battery.
I had one or two random reboots in the first week or two after getting ICS but after the third update to the ICS update it's been rock solid, all the issues are gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I had a major problem with mine doing that several times a day. To fix it, I updated to ICS, and then did a factory reset. Since then I haven't seen a single reboot.