Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Mr. Pither posted:

They need to target people who will actually spend the money to buy it new, not just talk about it on the internet. They're going for a similar market in Japan, guys in their 40s or 50s who may have owned sporty Toyota coupes in the past.

Actually, the median having the age be 47 is more of a sampling issue. Theres a reason why most car brands median age is in the mid-40s, and it's not because only 40 year olds are the only people who buy cars or buy cars the most. Actual marketing campaigns are based more on mean or ownership age rather that purchase age.

Essentially for cars in the US the buying market is generally 18-75. The buying follows a bell curve with the median numbers being in the 40s, since that's right about where the 50% mark is. The actual ownership market and marketing campaign isn't based on the sampling median since 18-25 doesn't have the buying power, and you'll see parents buying them for kids. If you take the mean for ownership and purchasing, the age tends to wander around.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Cat Terrist posted:

AUD stopped being lira a looooong time ago. One AUD buys 1.07 USD.

Yes I'm well aware. I'm also aware Australia charges absolutely retarded amounts of money for cars.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Cat Terrist posted:

AUD stopped being lira a looooong time ago. One AUD buys 1.07 USD.
So then why are your cars so expensive?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Lowclock posted:

There's only 20 million of us.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Mr. Pither posted:

They need to target people who will actually spend the money to buy it new, not just talk about it on the internet. They're going for a similar market in Japan, guys in their 40s or 50s who may have owned sporty Toyota coupes in the past.
Yeah sometimes I forget things like this. When I was 20 I bought my first car at $20k with a $5k down payment. The Tiburon i mentioned a few pages ago. Naturally most people fresh out of their teens don't have the cash nor the credit rating for a new vehicle. It was nice to have no bills and spend 6 months in a tax-free zone collecting paychecks I couldn't spend :v:

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

blk posted:

Almost forgot, here's MSRP on the limited.

Dick Burglar posted:

Is that is $AUS or what? Where the hell do they charge 100 Gs for this car?

My premium has the same number listed for MSRP, it's just a placeholder.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Lowclock posted:

Some of it is taxes, the rest is.... ummm.... probably just car companies screwing us for all it's worth. This issue with retailers charging absurd markups while Internet sales are vastly cheaper has been brewing for some time. The problem is in this case, cant buy the car from the USA and import so car companies have no fear in charging what they feel like.

Okay, so in the case of Subaru I will give them that they have held the WRX price at 39,990 for many years which is still cheapish. The STI tho.... loving hell I have no idea what they are thinking, 60+K is absurd.

I guess we can hope we see the BRZ in base form for 30ishK.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

PT6A posted:

Definitely gonna check it out as well. Hopefully we can sit in it!

We won't be able to sit in it.

:chord:

PT6A posted:

Are they banking on the fact that a lot of people still have a "domestic=poo poo" mentality or what?

Yes, if it's not a truck the odds are pretty good it's loving terrible. This may or may not actually be true but it's what every last one of my co-workers will tell you and I work in auto salvage. And since prevailing opinion trumps facts just about every time when it comes to marketing...

e: As an example, I submit that if GM had made the transmission for the BRZ, this thread might have a different tone, if there even was a thread.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 4, 2012

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010

Cat Terrist posted:

Okay, so in the case of Subaru I will give them that they have held the WRX price at 39,990 for many years which is still cheapish. The STI tho.... loving hell I have no idea what they are thinking, 60+K is absurd.

Yeh it's crazy until you look at what else you can buy for 60 grand and it makes perfect sense.

Mostly the reason our cars cost so much, Holden and Ford have factories here. To keep a bunch of busted arse factory workers employed we put massive tariffs on anything that's imported and subsidize a bunch of bloated irrelevant sedans.

If we could buy a WRX for 25K like the equivalent US money will get you, I have a feeling most people would stop buying Falcadores.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Ecstatic posted:

Yeh it's crazy until you look at what else you can buy for 60 grand and it makes perfect sense.

Mostly the reason our cars cost so much, Holden and Ford have factories here. To keep a bunch of busted arse factory workers employed we put massive tariffs on anything that's imported and subsidize a bunch of bloated irrelevant sedans.

If we could buy a WRX for 25K like the equivalent US money will get you, I have a feeling most people would stop buying Falcadores.

they keep propping up holden and ford Australia 'because jobs' but how much of our jobs are actually tied up in the domestic car manufacturing industry? and what parts are they making? I have a hard time believing a lot of the plastics and components arent made overseas and shipped in for assembly.

EDIT: gently caress it, why not sell the factories to international manufacturers? build awesome cars here, gently caress off the import tariffs AND keep the jobs!

Laserface fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Mar 4, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Ecstatic posted:

Despite the fact Falcadores are good things people are stopping buying them anyway so it'll be a moot point I suspect in five years. There was barely 20,000 Falcons sold and the Commodore is going down in the sales charts. Doesnt matter how much money is thrown into GMH or Ford, if people dont buy em the days are numbered.

quote:

how much of our jobs are actually tied up in the domestic car manufacturing industry

About 45,000 directly and indirectly. A handful of regional centres will take huge hits if Ford / Toyota / Holden closed.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Q_res posted:

Yeah, that surprised me as well. I'm guessing they expect to sell a lot of them to people that are going to leave them garaged (except for weekends and autocrossing) while they drive their BMW 3/5 series (or similar) to work. That and buying it for their kids to drive.

I had to laugh at this because while I'm certainly not near the listed median age, the more I read about this car the more I'm thinking it would be an enjoyable car to own alongside my R32. I don't think I could deal with dding the BRZ/FRS in winter and I enjoy the R32 too much to give it up, but having a cheap little go cart like this would be a hoot and fun to track.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

GTI, Veloster Turbo, Civic Si, Mini, C30 maybe?, Mazdaspeed3 maybe?, Miata, Gen Coupe

Out of that group, if the BRZ was front wheel drive I'd get the Veloster Turbo.
GenCoupe is RWD.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Meatsicle posted:

GenCoupe is RWD.

I know, and so is the Miata - I think it'd still be cross shopped with the rest of those cars either way.

Also, I think the WRX will be cross shopped with the BRZ pretty often.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Some nice photos of the engine/trans and subframe layout on FT86.com

Whats immediately obvious is how low the engine sits, and the dual scallops in the front subframe where presumably aftermarket headers could run?

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 4, 2012

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I can't tell how the scallops line up -- where do the stock headers run?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/motoring/news/article.cfm?c_id=9&objectid=10789347

NZ and AUS to get the Premium only.

gently caress! I dont want all the luxury poo poo -_-

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Maybe you can get the Toyota in a stripped out variant. Beyond the badge is there really anything different that you're not going to change anyway?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
I don't know if people have noticed but the UK toyota site here:

http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyota/bv/frame_start.jsp?1=2&id=CC2-GT86-landing&id=CC-FT86II-landing&zone=Zone+Cars&sr=Mall

lists the GT86 as starting at 25,000 pounds.

An mx-5 in the UK is ~21,000 pounds (with the 6 speed manual and the 2.0L) where as the same power train combo is at ~$25,000. That would place a toyota GT86 roughly in the $29,000 range.

shodanjr_gr fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 5, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Q_res posted:

Maybe you can get the Toyota in a stripped out variant. Beyond the badge is there really anything different that you're not going to change anyway?

Man has a point. But we dont know the spec that Toyota will import either as yet so.... I do know Toyotas are coming 10 weeks earlier.

quote:

lists the GT86 as starting at 25,000 pounds.

36990 AUD. gently caress.

Watch my dreams of cheap bare bones RWD fun get destroyed :(

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 5, 2012

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
We're not going to get the stripper version, the market for it here is just too small (which suits me fine as i want a premium as more of a daily, less of a track warrior, i already have a car for that)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

ROFLBOT posted:

We're not going to get the stripper version, the market for it here is just too small (which suits me fine as i want a premium as more of a daily, less of a track warrior, i already have a car for that)
Canada gets the same thing. Usually we get a weird mix of high-end options to "make it up to us" for the higher price (usually due to stupid NAFTA rules regarding duties when double-importing new cars), but even though we love stripper versions we rarely get them.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Additionally the thumbnail on the subaru site here http://proj4.boxer.subaru.com/index.html (which I guess is their test pages or something) has the BRZ starting at $30,595 (although it may be pulling the info from the Tribeca mini site as all the links on the thumbnail lead to that).

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
People really should just ignore any info on that site right now. There's no way any of it is reliable.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Canada gets the same thing. Usually we get a weird mix of high-end options to "make it up to us" for the higher price (usually due to stupid NAFTA rules regarding duties when double-importing new cars), but even though we love stripper versions we rarely get them.

Aren't we finally getting the GenCoupe 2.0T R-Spec for the 2013 model year? There is hope yet.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Q_res posted:

People really should just ignore any info on that site right now. There's no way any of it is reliable.

It could be subaru web masters trolling the world. Main page shows $30k+ MSRP. Minisite shows sub $18K msrp :haw:.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Cat Terrist posted:

Man has a point. But we dont know the spec that Toyota will import either as yet so.... I do know Toyotas are coming 10 weeks earlier.

36990 AUD. gently caress.

Watch my dreams of cheap bare bones RWD fun get destroyed :(

honestly if the high spec toyota/brz is around 45k drive away they wont have much trouble selling it.

I mean, you can spend 45k on a brz with leather and satnav (luxury option) or 45k on a base WRX (performance). that makes sense to me I guess.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Laserface posted:

honestly if the high spec toyota/brz is around 45k drive away they wont have much trouble selling it.

I mean, you can spend 45k on a brz with leather and satnav (luxury option) or 45k on a base WRX (performance). that makes sense to me I guess.

If you have a WRX vs a BRZ at almost the same price the BRZ will be left behind I think. Even if the BRZ is "Premium", the WRX will have performance to burn to more than make up the difference. Even as much as I am intending for a BRZ, if there's no real price difference I'll wait it out and see what the 2013 WRX brings us.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Cat Terrist posted:

If you have a WRX vs a BRZ at almost the same price the BRZ will be left behind I think. Even if the BRZ is "Premium", the WRX will have performance to burn to more than make up the difference. Even as much as I am intending for a BRZ, if there's no real price difference I'll wait it out and see what the 2013 WRX brings us.

Although I doubt it's as much a concern in Australia, this will also be murder in any markets where winter-driving performance is a factor. If you absolutely have to be able to make a commute in poor winter weather, I can't see turning down the WRX, especially at the same price. Luckily, I'm not in that situation, but if I were, RWD would be at a considerable disadvantage to AWD. I'd still prefer it over FWD, though.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I would be more interested to see what 2013 holds for the BRZ/86 than the WRX, personally. Subaru has already said that the BRZ will be the new STI vehicle platform in the future with the WRX sitting where it is now - more expensive, faster and different to the impreza, but not as fast as the STI.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Cat Terrist posted:

This is about the boat I am in but it's all moot til we hear pricing.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

PT6A posted:

Although I doubt it's as much a concern in Australia, this will also be murder in any markets where winter-driving performance is a factor. If you absolutely have to be able to make a commute in poor winter weather....

Just dog-walk it down the road on snow tires like every Miata out there. :v:

But seriously, ground clearance will probably make it useless even WITH snow tires once more than ~5" stays on the streets.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

:siren: 4.94mb PDF scans of Toyota Australias sales guide for sales reps, including trim levels and graphs and poo poo :siren:

http://www.mediafire.com/?hg49s3937a5675g

if your antivirus picks anything up its a false positive as I managed to view it fine but some others have noted it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Laserface posted:

if your antivirus picks anything up its a false positive as I managed to view it fine but some others have noted it.

On a PDF? Yeah, I don't think so.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
It was hilarious when the Subaru mockup minisite came up and so many dweebs on ft86club.com were scared off by the bad SSL cert.

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

Internet Explorer posted:

On a PDF? Yeah, I don't think so.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pdf+0day

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Laserface posted:

You can view malicious PDFs, they use a JavaScript exploit.

Edit: Well gently caress, I'm opening all PDFs in google docs from now on.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 5, 2012

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thank you for the fantastic Google link. I am completely unaware of what a PDF 0 day exploit is and my comment was not along the lines of "yeah, I'll be opening a PDF that is uploaded to MediaFire about a car that is very popular right now and also has a 'false positive'".

But I read everything from your link and am now much more informed! Thanks Goon!

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
There was an iPhone hack out there that exploited a bug in the PDF reader to jailbreak phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeahhh if you have an antivirus that sees something fishy about a mystery file from the internet (and though a particularly popular attack vector) you might want to heed the warning.

• Locked thread