Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
FINALLY SOMEONE ELSE WHO LISTENS TO LEYLAND KIRBY POSTS TO THIS THREAD

At some point over the weekend I'll try to take a picture of my Caretaker/Kirby collection. I picked up a copy of A Stairway to the Stars a few weeks ago to finish off the set - once I get a clear vinyl version of the first Intrigue & Stuff (I found out about the series too late and had to settle for a black vinyl copy) I'll have LE versions of everything too.

Also I need to point out that Ivan Seal's artwork looks INCREDIBLE in full sleeve size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I got my two Patton Oswalt albums in today, and they're both very nice. Werewolves and Lollypops should be a required purchase, really, because it comes with a DVD, MP3 code, and the album itself, all for less than $20. And it's one of the best stand-up albums of all time.

So there.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Man, it is loving impossible to get a copy of The Caretaker's An Empty Bliss Beyond This World on vinyl.

I don't care if it's an original, a reissue or a re-reissue, I just want it on vinyl :(

There are a couple on discogs right now.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Yoshifan823 posted:

I got my two Patton Oswalt albums in today, and they're both very nice. Werewolves and Lollypops should be a required purchase, really, because it comes with a DVD, MP3 code, and the album itself, all for less than $20. And it's one of the best stand-up albums of all time.

So there.

I loving love that album. Make sure you watch the DVD that it comes with because it's a different performance from the one used on the album and something pretty crazy happens.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Every copy of "Lonesome Crowded West" by Modest Mouse that I can find on Ebay is listed for $300+. Is it really worth that much or are these people insane?

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools
I don't understand the new comedy on vinyl thing, especially at the prices some of them go for. I remember seeing David Cross's "Shut Up You loving Baby" new and it was $40+. Granted, it was a 2 CD set, which probably meant triple LP, but still.

Also, NESguerrilla, that Roky Erickson album does rule, and not to spit in the face of psych fans everywhere, but I find it far more enjoyable than anything the Elevators ever did. Did Sympathy not do a repress when they reissued it on CD a few years back? Then again, some Sympathy vinyl gets expensive quick once it's out of print.

Lastly, Light in the Attic's new imprint Modern Classics Recordings looks like it'll have some promise depending on what they can license. So far it's been Morphine and Mercury Rev, but I know there's a Ride album coming from them soon (Going Blank Again). The focus seems to be on 90s stuff. If they can get the rights for proper Catherine Wheel and House of Love reissues, consider those bought.

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Every copy of "Lonesome Crowded West" by Modest Mouse that I can find on Ebay is listed for $300+. Is it really worth that much or are these people insane?

Check the box in the left sidebar to show completed listings only to get an accurate sense of what they have actually sold for recently. Buy It Nows are almost never an accurate gauge of something's true value. Alternately, PopSike should be able to give you a sort of timeline of its value.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Shut Up, You loving Baby! is hilarious and if you're going to pay 40 bucks for a comedy album that's a good candidate. I still wouldn't advise that, however. A few of the bits are pretty lengthy so it's possible that the flow of some of stuff is ruined by having to change sides.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

trdn89 posted:

FINALLY SOMEONE ELSE WHO LISTENS TO LEYLAND KIRBY POSTS TO THIS THREAD

At some point over the weekend I'll try to take a picture of my Caretaker/Kirby collection. I picked up a copy of A Stairway to the Stars a few weeks ago to finish off the set - once I get a clear vinyl version of the first Intrigue & Stuff (I found out about the series too late and had to settle for a black vinyl copy) I'll have LE versions of everything too.

Also I need to point out that Ivan Seal's artwork looks INCREDIBLE in full sleeve size.

Please do take those pictures, I'd love to see them.

I really hope at some point I can get my hands on a copy of An Empty Bliss.. because it's amazing.

I did just order Patience (After Sebald) on Boomkat. It mentions that they got the blue vinyl back in stock. So hopefully I'll end up with that.

But I really do prefer An Empty Bliss... to Patience. Maybe because Patience was a soundtrack for a movie and not really a 'proper' album.

chime_on posted:

There are a couple on discogs right now.

Yeah, but the cheapest is 75 bucks. No thanks.

Hey, guess which fantastic soundtrack is coming out on vinyl? I'll give you a hint: It's Drive

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Mar 3, 2012

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Hey, guess which fantastic soundtrack is coming out on vinyl? I'll give you a hint: It's Drive

Who do I give my money to? I want this so bad.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Yoshifan823 posted:

Who do I give my money to? I want this so bad.

Pre-order starts next week. It's going to be pressed (highly likely) on hot pink vinyl.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Jeff Wiiver posted:

I know :(. I've yet to see one for a good price, I have to assume people are kind of insane though, I love that album but I can't anywhere near justify that much money.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Brock will re-release it at some point. I'm convinced.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Pre-order starts next week. It's going to be pressed (highly likely) on hot pink vinyl.

I'm in love.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

y'all should just forget about this, it will never happen, don't even bother trying to pre-order it :colbert:

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Brock will re-release it at some point. I'm convinced.

Hopefully that will bring down the price of originals. Normally I'm not so ridiculous about having an original but that album is one of my all time favorites.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Please do take those pictures, I'd love to see them.

Ask and ye shall receive. Apologies for lovely cell phone camera shots, etc.

The Caretaker, Persistent Repetition of Phrases (top) & Deleted Scenes, Forgotten Dreams (bottom)

Two of my three favorite records he's ever put out (the third being An Empty Bliss). Deleted Scenes was my introduction to Kirby - I bought it blind after hearing it come up in conversations about music like Gavin Bryars' The Sinking of the Titanic (a piece I was completely obsessed with at the time), and he actually emailed me to thank me for my purchase since it was 2008 and the US dollar was spectacularly weak against the Euro at the time making shipping atrociously expensive. Dude is one of the most responsive and personable musicians I've ever talked to - even today now that he's a big Pitchfork-approved star who does soundtracks and so on he still responds personally to fans asking about his music.

Persistent Repetition was one which I missed when it initially came out. I managed to win an eBay auction for a copy earlier this year for a retardedly low price, so I decided to celebrate by blowing all the money I had been planning to spend on bidding on it on:

The Caretaker, A Stairway to the Stars

Probably my least favorite album of his but gotta catch 'em all and whatnot.

The Caretaker, An Empty Bliss Beyond This World

I completely agree that this is a truly special record - it was actually my favorite album of last year all-in.

The Caretaker, Patience (After Sebald)

An extremely pretty record which I would probably like a lot more if it hadn't been preceded by two prettier ones in the same year.

Leyland James Kirby, Sadly, The Future Is No Longer What It Was collection w/ obi strip

Five hours of awesomeness. This is also when he started working with D+M to master & cut his vinyl releases, so at the time it was kind of shocking how amazing they sounded (not that the other records sound bad or anything, just not THIS kind of great).

Leyland Kirby, Eager to Tear Apart the Stars

For some reason this was the only one of the records Kirby put out last year where the colored vinyl version was white. It bugs me. Great album, though much more similar to the Sadly The Future set than the ballroom-y Caretaker stuff.

And last and (visually) least:

Leyland Kirby, Intrigue & Stuff EPs 1-3

Just need to upgrade my copy of #1 to clear vinyl and I'll be done.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Incredible collection :allears:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

theradiostillsucks posted:

Also, NESguerrilla, that Roky Erickson album does rule, and not to spit in the face of psych fans everywhere, but I find it far more enjoyable than anything the Elevators ever did. Did Sympathy not do a repress when they reissued it on CD a few years back? Then again, some Sympathy vinyl gets expensive quick once it's out of print.

The reissued CD is out of print and expensive as hell so if there was a vinyl pressing it's probably also pricey.

The Elevators were awesome. I just wish someone would remaster them without the god drat electric jug.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

NESguerilla posted:

The reissued CD is out of print and expensive as hell so if there was a vinyl pressing it's probably also pricey.

Holy poo poo, I didn't realize it was going for that much. I think at some point pretty much everyone I work with has had a (legit) copy of it, and the dialogue bits from Creature With the Atom Brain are quoted fairly often.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

The Elevators were awesome. I just wish someone would remaster them without the god drat electric jug.

There is this: http://www.sundazed.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=940&osCsid=a7ab68ebcbae72f4f015b606b5109d46 It does include the electric jug, but it is an all analog mono pressing. So it's incredibly faithful to the intended sound.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
While I'm hauling stuff out, here are a couple more records I like showing off:

Todd Rundgren, A Wizard/A True Star

Very first pressing with all the poo poo. I have to assume that the seller didn't notice the STERLING RL in the trail-off or else it would never have been mine.

Colored Mushroom & the Medicine Rocks, s/t

I am a huge fan of Emeralds and nearly went broke trying to get all their releases (eventually I had to just give up on keeping up with Mark McGuire's stuff). This one I got during my only opportunity to see them play live; I hadn't heard of it before seeing it at the merch table but picked it up for the hell of it, then discovered when logging it into Discogs that it's one of TEN copies in that color pattern. Great album too!

Beach House, s/t

My first big conquest as a collector. This is far and away my favorite album of theirs but it took months of searching in order to track down a copy; I finally ended up finding a copy on GEMM where the seller had misclassified it somehow. Naturally it went on to be not just reissued, but reissued and packaged to look exactly like the original pressing. Oh well, this is my favorite album of theirs by FAR and it's not like I was buying it as an investment anyway.

Pure X, Pleasure

Acephale is one of my favorite record labels in existence, mostly because they put out amazing-looking limited runs, like this one with the foil accents and the splatter vinyl and so on. Added bonus: it's an awesome record.

Midnight Juggernauts, The Crystal Axis

Acephale also put out the Midnight Juggernauts' criminally-overlooked second album. First few copies had this crazy "haze" color pattern which IMO looks cool as poo poo.

Salem, Yes I Smoke Crack EP

And then there's this. Every few months I get a message from random Discogs strangers pleading with me to trade/sell it to them.

Dinosaur, "Kiss Me Again" 12"

The greatest disco song ever, end of conversation. The original mix is of course great but the real treat is the stripped-down "version" on the b-side made up of entirely different takes; the whole thing was recorded live so you hear little bits of other performances in all the tracks.

Spiritualized, Lazer Guided Melodies

I have the 7" that came with this too but I'd have to dig it out and :effort:

Beach Fossils, s/t
Wild Nothing, Gemini

Captured Tracks is the other label I love and will buy stuff blind from; again, it's a combination of killer albums and killer limited editions, ESPECIALLY when they do alternate cover art. These are probably the two that most people would care about. I actually used to have a second copy of the Wild Nothing LE too (I was dumb and didn't buy them together initially, so I had to get a bundle later on in order to get the Beach Fossils album) until my old record shelves collapsed and my entire collection fell directly on top of it.

Some day when I have time I'll try to take pictures of all the alt art, but until then here's my favorite:

Soft Metals, s/t

LOOK AT THAT GORGEOUS poo poo. (Also listen to it because it owns immensely.)

trdn89 fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 4, 2012

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CPL593H posted:

There is this: http://www.sundazed.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=940&osCsid=a7ab68ebcbae72f4f015b606b5109d46 It does include the electric jug, but it is an all analog mono pressing. So it's incredibly faithful to the intended sound.

Nice. Have you heard it? Do you know if the jug is toned down a bit? It's just mixed so loud and it's really goofy sounding. Kind of kills a few of their songs for me.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
The mono just has a better sound than the stereo. First off, the stereo has a poo poo ton more reverb than the mono version, so it just sounds muddy. And in some songs, the jug doesn't stick out as much.

Unfortunately, given the ways that these songs were recorded, you are never going to get rid of the jugs. Unless they recorded the jug to a different track than the rest of the band, but I don't think that happened.

Superchunk
Dec 27, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Man, it is loving impossible to get a copy of The Caretaker's An Empty Bliss Beyond This World on vinyl.

I don't care if it's an original, a reissue or a re-reissue, I just want it on vinyl :(

I'm having the same problem with Grouper stuff. All of her albums were such limited, self-released pressings that I can't find anything for a reasonable price. I would kill to have Dragging a Dead Deer Up a Hill, but I'd settle for any of her other albums too. I even went to a record store in Portland where she regularly shops and sells her music and they only had one 7"

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

Nice. Have you heard it? Do you know if the jug is toned down a bit? It's just mixed so loud and it's really goofy sounding. Kind of kills a few of their songs for me.

I've been meaning to pick this up for a while, so I've yet to hear it. But if the sound that's bothering you is due to a lovely remaster, then it should be good. Sundazed is a great ressiue label and they always put a lot of effort into their remasters. They use all original tapes. I own a whole bunch of Sundazed reissues and I've yet to hear a bad one.

Also this:

quote:

The mono just has a better sound than the stereo. First off, the stereo has a poo poo ton more reverb than the mono version, so it just sounds muddy. And in some songs, the jug doesn't stick out as much.

Unfortunately, given the ways that these songs were recorded, you are never going to get rid of the jugs. Unless they recorded the jug to a different track than the rest of the band, but I don't think that happened.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Superchunk posted:

I'm having the same problem with Grouper stuff. All of her albums were such limited, self-released pressings that I can't find anything for a reasonable price. I would kill to have Dragging a Dead Deer Up a Hill, but I'd settle for any of her other albums too. I even went to a record store in Portland where she regularly shops and sells her music and they only had one 7"

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

LtTennisBall posted:

Hopefully that will bring down the price of originals. Normally I'm not so ridiculous about having an original but that album is one of my all time favorites.

Don't get your hopes up for this. Reissues rarely drive down the price of originals in the collector's market.

stay depressed fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 4, 2012

Superchunk
Dec 27, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ghumbs posted:

I am now just envy manifested into a physical form made of tears.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

trdn89 posted:

Midnight Juggernauts, The Crystal Axis

Acephale also put out the Midnight Juggernauts' criminally-overlooked second album. First few copies had this crazy "haze" color pattern which IMO looks cool as poo poo.

No... I didn't know... I didn't know! I DIDN'T KNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW :byodood:

Superchunk posted:

I just want her Xiu Xiu collaboration EP, so my goals are somewhat easier to achieve Grouper-wise.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

stay depressed posted:

Don't get your hopes up for this. Reissues rarely drive down the price of originals in the collector's market.

It's not out of the question though. I think it depends on a few things like the rarity of the originals and whether or not the reissue sounds any better. White Stripes records are always a big money maker and some of that stuff has dropped in price since Third Man reissued a bunch of poo poo. It probably also helps that all the reissues thus far have been analog remasters.

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

Here are some recent purchases of mine.

Shellac - Excellent Italian Greyhound and Slint - Spiderland.

Explosions in the Sky - Take Care, Take Care, Take Care.
The packaging for this is awesome because it folds out to build a model of a house.

By the End of Tonight - A Tribute To Tigers.
By the End of Tonight were a cool math/post/instrumental/whatever rock band who are sadly no longer together with this being their only full album.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Superchunk posted:

I am now just envy manifested into a physical form made of tears.

She has a ton of stuff I don't have and I'll agree, takes too much luck and energy to track it down. Or money.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
:siren: :rock: :black101: WHO WANTS SOME loving METAL :black101: :rock: :siren:

Bongripper - Satan Worshipping Doom

URL: http://bongripper.bandcamp.com/yum
code: KMX4-637S

Deafheaven - Roads to Judah

URL: http://www.deathwishinc.com/downloadvinyl
code: 124-7928LAAOAE

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

fozzie dunlop posted:

:siren: :rock: :black101: WHO WANTS SOME loving METAL :black101: :rock: :siren:

Bongripper - Satan Worshipping Doom

URL: http://bongripper.bandcamp.com/yum
code: KMX4-637S

Deafheaven - Roads to Judah

URL: http://www.deathwishinc.com/downloadvinyl
code: 124-7928LAAOAE

totally took both. thanks!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

so that Drive soundtrack is going through Mondo in the US

http://blog.mondotees.com/2012/03/05/we-are-releasing-the-drive-soundtrack-on-vinyl/

2xLP with packaging by Tyler Stout :getin:

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Another awesome announcement today. It's Protomen related...

http://soundmachinestore.bigcartel.com/product/makeup-and-vanity-set-presents-vinyl

Just look at that loving disc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ek6DbAAdac

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

midge posted:

Another awesome announcement today. It's Protomen related...

http://soundmachinestore.bigcartel.com/product/makeup-and-vanity-set-presents-vinyl

Just look at that loving disc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ek6DbAAdac

Holy crap, thanks for that. I hadn't checked their stuff in a while. Still say their concert was one of the most fun and entertaining ones I've ever been to.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
Here's something that I had been wanting for a while and finally got:

The Polyphonic Spree - Together We're Heavy

A copy of it popped up on Discogs for $40, but someone bought it before I did... I wound up finding this on eBay a few days later and won it for $25. Nice.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

alg posted:

so that Drive soundtrack is going through Mondo in the US

http://blog.mondotees.com/2012/03/05/we-are-releasing-the-drive-soundtrack-on-vinyl/

2xLP with packaging by Tyler Stout :getin:

That's terrible news. If this is some kind of screen printed limited edition bullshit it'll sellout immediately and end up being insanely overpriced on ebay. There have been times when this guy's website crashed when one of his posters went on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

That's terrible news. If this is some kind of screen printed limited edition bullshit it'll sellout immediately and end up being insanely overpriced on ebay. There have been times when this guy's website crashed when one of his posters went on sale.

You can always pre-order the Invada release this Thursday, just in case v :) v

Personally, I'm aiming for both releases. :colbert: