Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Except that it requires long exposures to get usable images. I know video recording is more sensitive, but probably not enough.

You'd probably be better off just recording normally and then adding a vignette in post-processing.

I'll test it out this week though in the bright afternoon sun. I know it's unusable indoors.

edit: those above images are 50 seconds, 13 seconds, 5 & 5 at ISO200. They're extremely messy at higher ISOs.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I'm really tempted to go mirrorless before dropping another $400 on yet another bulky lens for my Canon 550D. Which sensors out there have the best low-light performance, and would anything have an improvement that I would actually notice?

If I didn't care about cost or size, I'd ideally be shooting with a 5D2 + 24mm f/2.8 or similar. Are there any good primes for these cameras that approach ultra-wide and also have super low apertures?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Helicity posted:

I'm really tempted to go mirrorless before dropping another $400 on yet another bulky lens for my Canon 550D. Which sensors out there have the best low-light performance, and would anything have an improvement that I would actually notice?

If I didn't care about cost or size, I'd ideally be shooting with a 5D2 + 24mm f/2.8 or similar. Are there any good primes for these cameras that approach ultra-wide and also have super low apertures?

I shoot concerts with a NEX 5N. It's good up to 6400 and 12800 is useable in a pinch if you're not super picky about quality and more concerned with just getting a usable image.

The NEX 16mm f/2.8 is relatively small, cheap and light and if you get the wide angle converter for it, it punches out to 12mm and even wider if you get the fisheye converter. It's not the sharpest thing at the corners, but good luck trying to find an autofocus 12mm f/2.8 for less than the cost of the lens plus converter. The 16mm is pretty much the only actual NEX lens I use. Everything else is manual focus with an adapter.

The recent firmware update for the 5N improved AF performance so if you're testing out a 5N, make sure it's up to date.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

teethgrinder posted:

I somehow missed this thread early on and have made all my m4/3 posts in the Olympus thread. I'll catch up though as it's only 30 pages... fine for a quiet day at work.

Just thought I'd draw attention to the Wanderlust Pinwide pinhole lens. It's only $40, and fun, if limited. It only works with m4/3 bodies for now, but may come to other mirrorless systems. It can't work with proper (D)SLRs because the pinhole is inset into the body.

I picked up a $25 25mm f/1.4 C-Mount CCTV lens with a $6 BIG-is C-Mount Adapter and it has the worst focusing system known to man. The focus ring is where I've come to expect the aperture ring, and the aperture ring is where I've come to expect the focusing ring.

I've been running it on my GF2 just for grins and it's a surprisingly fun lens. It kicks the crap out of my Holga lens.

SAMPLES!

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Miso Beno posted:

The focus ring is where I've come to expect the aperture ring, and the aperture ring is where I've come to expect the focusing ring.

This is the way rangefinder lenses are (the ones I've seen anyway), you'll get get used to it if you use it enough.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

eggsovereasy posted:

This is the way rangefinder lenses are (the ones I've seen anyway), you'll get get used to it if you use it enough.
It wouldn't bug me as much (it's not even that big of a deal to me) if the focusing ring was just a little bit bigger. you are probably right; my opinion of the system is based on the fact that it's different and different things scare me.

PS: This lens is the most fun I've had all week.

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 5, 2012

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

The aperture ring looks very large too, can definitely see how it would be trouble.

Miso Beno posted:

PS: This lens is the most fun I've had all week.

Yeah, looks like you're getting some cool results.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

whatever7 posted:

Canon actual has said in an interview they are going to release their mirrorless camera this year.

N7 is still the best body to shoot MF lenses.

Unless you are shooting Leica glass in which case you are better off with a GXR with A12 M-mount module. Or the NEX-5, which handles wideangle rangefinder lenses better than the 7.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

E-M5 ISO 3200 comparison from here. A massive improvement over the PEN cameras (and I need to sell my E-P3 sooner rather than later):

Also, this lens seems pretty interesting:

Samples here, apparently going to cost around $650 which is about what the Panasonic 25mm f1.4 costs. Doubt I'll get it but it's so tiny!

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Unless you are shooting Leica glass in which case you are better off with a GXR with A12 M-mount module. Or the NEX-5, which handles wideangle rangefinder lenses better than the 7.
My two current lenses are Canon EF-S, a 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM and a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8. As long as the NEX-7 isn't slower to AF than my XSi I'm fine - though I realize I'm giving up focus speed and a few other nice-to-haves compared to, say, upgrading to a 60D or 7D. (or a theoretical 7D mk2, which before looking at mirrorless was what I was waiting on) The size and weight is just getting to be a huge issue for me, I leave my camera at home more often than not because of it. (or because I know where I'll be is too dark to use without flash)

I might be inclined to wait for Canon's mirrorless but I'm worried that Canon's entry (entries?) will be aiming to replace the Rebel line, when what I'm looking for is basically a mirrorless 60D. And, at least on paper, the NEX-7 reads just like that to me. And switching systems isn't a problem for me at the moment, since regardless I want to move to compact and not bring about the big lenses with me.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

My opinion is that the NEX-7 is a fantastic camera, while the NEX system is lacking. I wish they would come out with some solid primes to match the m4/3 lineup, but until that happens we are left with a set of blah zooms, one fast, excellent but expensive prime, and a few not particularly thrilling and generally slower primes.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Clayton Bigsby posted:

I hadn't heard this, why is the NEX-5 better than the NEX-7 with wideangle lenses? Are there microlens problems causing color fringing / color shifts / something? Also what's the advantage of the GXR in this case, I don't see how it gets you anything more than a NEX + adapter does?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

I hadn't heard this, why is the NEX-5 better than the NEX-7 with wideangle lenses? Are there microlens problems causing color fringing / color shifts / something? Also what's the advantage of the GXR in this case, I don't see how it gets you anything more than a NEX + adapter does?

The 5 isnt better, the 5n is. It's got some kind of compensation that makes it a lot better on the edges. I'll see if I can pull up the detailed forum post some guy made on it.

Also: I posted my x100 for sale in the buy/sell thread as well as POTN & FM. Someone buy my most favorite camera ever.

e: I can't find the 5n vs 7 test with the corner crops I was looking for, sorry :(.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 5, 2012

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

teethgrinder posted:

Just thought I'd draw attention to the Wanderlust Pinwide pinhole lens. It's only $40, and fun, if limited. It only works with m4/3 bodies for now, but may come to other mirrorless systems. It can't work with proper (D)SLRs because the pinhole is inset into the body.
Pretty cool, was going to get one of these for my gf's E-PL1.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Here comes a special boy!
Amazon has had some pretty great older model mirrorless deals lately.

I got an epl2 pancake kit for my girlfriend at 70% off last week.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LiquidRain posted:

My two current lenses are Canon EF-S, a 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM and a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8. As long as the NEX-7 isn't slower to AF than my XSi I'm fine - though I realize I'm giving up focus speed and a few other nice-to-haves compared to, say, upgrading to a 60D or 7D. (or a theoretical 7D mk2, which before looking at mirrorless was what I was waiting on) The size and weight is just getting to be a huge issue for me, I leave my camera at home more often than not because of it. (or because I know where I'll be is too dark to use without flash)

I might be inclined to wait for Canon's mirrorless but I'm worried that Canon's entry (entries?) will be aiming to replace the Rebel line, when what I'm looking for is basically a mirrorless 60D. And, at least on paper, the NEX-7 reads just like that to me. And switching systems isn't a problem for me at the moment, since regardless I want to move to compact and not bring about the big lenses with me.

Well obviously Canon will start out with mirrorless replacements for the 1000D and 600D first. They may even cripple the shooting speed a little to give breathing room to the 600D.

It's going to take Canon a few years to populate the lens lineup and then they will make a more prosumer version. First year is going to be a few slow zooms and a few f/2.8 pancakes first.

Nowadays when I go out in the weekend and not sure what to do, I take a DP1 with me.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

Paul MaudDib posted:

From all I've read, it does have to do with the microlens array on that 16MP sensor. Speaking personally, considering the significantly better body on the NEX-7 and the small cost difference between the 5n and the 7 when you factor in the EVF cost is enough to put up with corner fix in the small instances where you'll be shooting with symmetrical wide angle lenses.

The GXR is lacking any sort of low-pass filter, which may be an advantage or not, depending on your perspective.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

whatever7 posted:

Well obviously Canon will start out with mirrorless replacements for the 1000D and 600D first. They may even cripple the shooting speed a little to give breathing room to the 600D.

It's going to take Canon a few years to populate the lens lineup and then they will make a more prosumer version. First year is going to be a few slow zooms and a few f/2.8 pancakes first.

Nowadays when I go out in the weekend and not sure what to do, I take a DP1 with me.
Thanks - I will freely admit I am looking to verify my own conjecture with others. If I get a good 3 years of enjoyment from the Sony I'll be happy with my purchase. Think I'll keep my pre-order on file now. Worse comes to worse I should be able to resell it for little loss.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force
After what Nikon turned out as their first foray into the mirrorless world, I think that assuming Canon is going to put out something that would challenge even the Rebel lineup is premature.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

moonduck posted:

After what Nikon turned out as their first foray into the mirrorless world, I think that assuming Canon is going to put out something that would challenge even the Rebel lineup is premature.

You mean the innovation of phase detect autofocus without a mirror of any sort? How about 1200fps shooting in video and 60fps stills? The V1 and J1 are fantastic cameras for what they are, and I would be thrilled if Canon even matches that. The future is mirrorless, without a doubt.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mightaswell posted:

You mean the innovation of phase detect autofocus without a mirror of any sort? How about 1200fps shooting in video and 60fps stills? The V1 and J1 are fantastic cameras for what they are, and I would be thrilled if Canon even matches that. The future is mirrorless, without a doubt.

I wish one of my M4/3 could do 400fps :(

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

Mightaswell posted:

I mean how they created something that was obviously designed to in no way interfere with the sale of their low end DSLRs. I wasn't making a value judgement on the 1 series.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Mightaswell posted:

Well, the Casio FH100 had 1000fps low res shooting and 40fps high res shooting years ago.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

moonduck posted:

I mean how they created something that was obviously designed to in no way interfere with the sale of their low end DSLRs. I wasn't making a value judgement on the 1 series.

Oh, fair enough then.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
Is the NEX-C3 a good camera to get? From the reviews I've read the photo quality is pretty much on par with a 5N. I just want an upgrade from point & shoot and don't want to carry a SLR around. I like to take pictures of nature, landscape, wildlife (if I see them), architecture, city nights, and some portraits.

Looking at the comparison here http://snapsort.com/compare/Sony-NEX-5N-vs-Sony-NEX-C3 I'm trying to get my head around how the stats like maximum ISO, shutter lag, and how fast they shoot will affect my intended use. I don't really care about 1080p videos. Any advice?

waxluthor fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 7, 2012

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Hey guys:

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/03/07/a-quick-1st-look-video-the-pentax-k-01/

I know this is going to come across as a shock but the Pentax K-1 sucks! who would have thought.

The video is hilarious, The camera doesn't turn off after you turn it on and auto focus stops working :laugh:

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

rexelation posted:

Is the NEX-C3 a good camera to get? From the reviews I've read the photo quality is pretty much on par with a 5N. I just want an upgrade from point & shoot and don't want to carry a SLR around. I like to take pictures of nature, landscape, wildlife (if I see them), architecture, city nights, and some portraits.

Looking at the comparison here http://snapsort.com/compare/Sony-NEX-5N-vs-Sony-NEX-C3 I'm trying to get my head around how the stats like maximum ISO, shutter lag, and how fast they shoot will affect my intended use. I don't really care about 1080p videos. Any advice?

The NEX-5N is a drat nice camera. I can't think of many scenarios where you'd actually want to push ISO that high, so it's kind of a moot point. Shutter lag will only be noticeable if you compare to the two side by side, but at that point you'll say "I can't stand shooting with the slow one". 1080p is possibly something you will care about some day down the road. I'd personally get the NEX-5N just for less shutter lag, slightly better image quality, and better battery performance. They seem really similar in almost every other regard.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The NEX 5N has a different shutter setup from the older NEX cameras, or at least the plain 5. It has the option of using an electronic first shutter (the default option) or a mechanical one. The electronic shutter is great because it has shorter lag time, is quieter and lets you shoot at slower shutter speeds without the shutter shaking the camera.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Hm. What about the NEX-7? Mine just came in today but the manual's poo poo at explaining that kind of stuff.

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 8, 2012

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

LiquidRain posted:

Hm. What about the NEX-7? Mine just came in today but the manual's poo poo at explaining that kind of stuff.

I think it's one of those things that arrived with the 5N and is most likely here to stay for the NEX line. When you take a picture do you hear just "shook" or "shook-shook"? If it's just once, then the electronic shutter is working.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Ah, you're right. They call it the "front curtain shutter" option. On, it's 1 shook. Off, it's a shook-shook. I imagine this also results in less wear on the mechanical shutter.

If I have one complaint about this camera, though, it's the UI speed. There's a very noticeable delay to changing any shooting parameter (aperture, ISO, etc) that's reduced by using the viewfinder, but never quite gone. If you flip the dial enough (say going from f/4 to f/8 in Av mode) the entire UI just seems to stall for a second until it snaps to the end of your flip. No review mentioned this - in fact every review raved about performance. I'm used to instantly seeing changes on my Canon SLRs when I hit buttons or flip dials. The NEX-7 UI seems really sluggish. Is this normal for mirrorless? Or Sonys? Or NEXs? It's a tough pill to swallow considering this is the flagship camera, that it costs so much, and that it's such a core part of actually using a camera. I get that the NEX line isn't really targeted at prosumers, but... :/

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The A77 was kind of sluggish on release but from what I've heard, Sony has improved it. Check to see if there are any firmware updates available for the NEX-7 that are newer than whatever your camera is right now.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Somebody reported that he paid 20850 HKD for the XP1 and all 3 lenses. That's only $2500 USD and 19% off the listed price. I am going sit this one out and wait for the XP1 body to drop to $1200. I get a feeling Fuji camera will drop a lot faster than D700.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

whatever7 posted:

Somebody reported that he paid 20850 HKD for the XP1 and all 3 lenses. That's only $2500 USD and 19% off the listed price. I am going sit this one out and wait for the XP1 body to drop to $1200. I get a feeling Fuji camera will drop a lot faster than D700.

That's good news, but check this video and you'll find that there appears to still be some poor focus issues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7-xPjFJY_0

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Just scored a "Like New" Panasonic GF3 + 14mm pancake from Amazon Warehouse Deals for $355 - when I got it, it was indeed in perfect condition with under 20 clicks on it... but no battery charger was included. I emailed them and they offered a full refund upon return, or a 30% refund. So basically, I scored a brand new GF3 with the 14mm pancake lens for $249. Score! Then I picked up a generic battery + charger that had been verified to work with the GF3 for $20.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Radbot posted:

Just scored a "Like New" Panasonic GF3 + 14mm pancake from Amazon Warehouse Deals for $355 - when I got it, it was indeed in perfect condition with under 20 clicks on it... but no battery charger was included. I emailed them and they offered a full refund upon return, or a 30% refund. So basically, I scored a brand new GF3 with the 14mm pancake lens for $249. Score! Then I picked up a generic battery + charger that had been verified to work with the GF3 for $20.

That's a great deal. Did you buy it from Amazon warehouse or Amazon marketplace (which is basically ebay buy it now auction)?

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
I am considering a Panasonic GX1 together with the 20mm 1.7, but I'm really torn on it. I was also considering a NEX-5n but it's a bit out of my price and more importantly size range.

My problem is basically this: I already have a D7000 and a S90, which are both great. So when I don't want to lug around my D7000, either because I'm not planning on shooting anything or it would be too heavy I took the S90.

This setup was fine so far except for some nagging caveats. One is that I am sometimes slightly disappointed with the quality I got from the S90 in more tricky situations, mostly dark or tricky lighting situations. This may be down to me not using the camera to the fullest of its extent. The other being that the display is really hard to see in bright sunlight. I can make out what I am framing but I have no idea how the picture turned out until I'm home.

Thus I have got it in my mind that I want a camera that I can still fit in my coat pocket, that gives me more flexibility without being so large that it again looks weird/dorky. (Imagine breaking out a DSLR with a large-ish lens in a restaurant where something interesting is going down - you get the idea...)

Now I was pretty much set on the GX1 after reading a lot of good things about it, but then I also heard stuff like that the colors are off and that it's not very good in low light. Mind you I usually don't go over 3200ISO even on my DSLR. So I'm not sure if it matters or not. Read the usual reviews (DPreview etc) did some pixel peeping but it didn't really help matters. Maybe rent it?

Any ideaas?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Have you consider the DP1/X10/X100? I list them base on the size.

A mirrorless camera still need a bag/pouch of some sort.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

whatever7 posted:

Have you consider the DP1/X10/X100? I list them base on the size.

A mirrorless camera still need a bag/pouch of some sort.

GX1 with 20mm should still be coat pocketable. Hell, so is the X100 which is thinner than my E-P3 with the 20mm, although it is taller. Panasonic colours aren't as nice as Olympus, but ISO 1600 on my E-P3 is just "good enough" for me so the superior sensor of the GX1 should be better in that regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
JJC has a NEX to cold shoe adapter out now, the MSA-6. It's around $18. You can find it in the usual places for such things.