Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Despite the whole team being hungover, we pulled out a 7-0 win. First playoff win for our team in our 3 seasons :woop:

After we scored one of our goals, we were all banging our sticks on the boards. You know, like every team in history does since the dawn of time. The ref skated over and told us not to do it and if we kept it up, we'd get a bench penalty. Is this real?

How many goals were you up when that happened? It's possible that the refs could have considered that taunting even if you were just innocently celebrating a goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

2 or 3? It was still a game at that point. That particular ref always has a raging boner for calling ticky tacky bullshit against us so I kinda chalked it up to that.

In the other game that was going on next to us, one of their refs told someone to stop shooting so hard. I don't even

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 5, 2012

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
In our final regular season game of the session, we were down 6-1 at the end of the first. Came back to lose 12-10. The first period was pretty rough, but felt good about battling back and making it competitive after a particularly rough season. Our team is really starting to come together though, and we've had a lot of guys already commit (verbally) to playing again next season.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
USA Hockey Rule 601 Abuse of Officials and Other Misconduct:

quote:

(b) A bench minor penalty shall be assessed to any team who’s
players or team officials commit the following actions while
on the player’s bench:
(1) Using obscene, profane or abusive language to any
person.
(2) Using the name of any official in a loud or abusive
manner.
(3) Throwing any object onto the playing area during the
progress of the game or during a stoppage of play.
(4) Banging the boards with a stick or other object at
anytime.

(5) Using threatening or abusive language or gestures
directed at an opponent.
(6) Interfering in any non-physical manner with any game
official, including off-ice officials, in the performance of
their duties.

It would be a pretty dick move to actually call that though.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

quote:

(b) A bench minor penalty shall be assessed to any team who’s
players or team officials commit the following actions while
on the player’s bench:
(1) Using obscene, profane or abusive language to any
person.

Seriously? This would be called every single minute in my league.

In the other game that was going on next to us, one of their refs told someone to stop shooting so hard. I don't even

Stop with dekes please.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

lazerwolf posted:

Seriously? This would be called every single minute in my league.

Yeah, refs have a lot of latitude to be dicks that they don't generally use:

quote:

A minor penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct (zero tolerance)
shall be assessed whenever a player:
1) Openly disputes or argues any decision by an official.
2) Uses obscene or vulgar language at any time, including any
swearing, even if it is not directed at a particular person.
3) Visually demonstrates any sign of dissatisfaction with an
official’s decision. Any time that a player persists in any of
these actions, they shall be assessed a misconduct penalty. A
game misconduct shall result if the player continues such
action.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
We won a game 5-1 this season and on the 4-1 goal it was scored by our captain, who in all his time at university playing hockey in the intramurals, had never scored a goal. He skated and then slid and then got back up and rode his stick like a horse and then everyone piled on him.

He's also graduating this year, so he only had 3 games left to get a goal.

We had to go tell the other team afterwards it was his first goal ever in like 25+ games played. They were ok with it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Games that end 7-0 are usually pretty clearly one sided from the beginning, no?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Nah, we didn't bust it open til the third when they started taking dumb penalties, including two 10-minute misconducts. The shots were fairly even for the first half of the game.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

I had 15 skaters on my team last season purely for financial reasons, and that was about 2 guys too many. 13 is the sweet spot as you still have enough guys on the bench when people can't make the game.

MSwen23
Jan 20, 2012
Shot in the dark here, anyone playing hockey at UConn?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

As in, playing for the University of Connecticut Huskies?

Yeah I think most everyone here plays for UConn.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So, dumb question. I saw an older guy today in goalie skates skating like pretty much exactly like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4B4k4dZVkM

I always figured it was just because Tony O was ancient and had no more flexibility, but seeing another guy skate like this had me wondering. Is goalie technique really that different?

MSwen23
Jan 20, 2012

Gio posted:

As in, playing for the University of Connecticut Huskies?

Yeah I think most everyone here plays for UConn.

I was more along the lines of playing intramural hockey at UConn and being able to tell me what the competition is like. I am looking to play, but haven't played for my entire life and wanted to know if I would be able to get away with playing B league here

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
A couple years ago we had to corral one of our players when he went nuts before the third period. We were a lovely team doing a lovely job and he starts yelling about how we need to pull it together and beat the other team. He starts yelling and smashing his stick on the boards as hard as he can in his fervor. He was acting like a jackass and we all expected to get a penalty for it.

It was a real rear end in a top hat move he pulled and just made us think he was a psychopath. We didn't get called on the noisiest stupidest macho displays I'd ever seen on the ice. After seeing that, I can't imagine anyone could get called for banging around in the player's box for a goal being scored. I'm sorry that you have a ref floating around like that.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

MSwen23 posted:

I was more along the lines of playing intramural hockey at UConn and being able to tell me what the competition is like. I am looking to play, but haven't played for my entire life and wanted to know if I would be able to get away with playing B league here

If B is the lowest level and you've never played before, then you should start in B.

It's intramural. Who gives a poo poo. You're going to suck but you won't get better until you start playing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sellouts posted:

It's intramural. Who gives a poo poo. You're going to suck but you won't get better until you start playing.

Seriously, no one gives a poo poo how bad you are.

In the 9 months I've been playing, I haven't encountered a single person who gave me crap for being terrible on the ice. Without fail they're giving advice and suggestions for how to improve. All that matters is that you're out there trying and people will give you space to do your thing.

Aburke27
Aug 2, 2004
HEaoheah
Nothing more frustrating than what I have to deal with on my team. The team is filled with below average to bad players. We constantly get beat 7+ to 1. I can deal with all of this but what I can't deal with is the one kid on the team that cherry picks most of the game. He can't skate worth a drat and once he picks the puck up from standing on their blue line, cant even get any speed to get past the one or two defenders to do anything. If by sheer luck he has a break away, he cant even put a good shot or move on the goalie. So after bringing the puck through the neutral zone and into their end, I manufacture this kid a goal from the corner. Two games in a row now I put this kid on the score sheet. Two minutes left in the game, sure enough, there he is cherry picking again. He gets the pass on the left boards and three guys flock to him to take the puck. I skate to the open ice an yell for a pass and nothing comes. He tries to beat three guys instead of dishing me the puck for a break away. This above all pisses me off more than a team full of low skilled players.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

He probably won't change either until someone tells him to knock it off, or people stop sending him the puck.

In the latter case, he'll probably start bitching that no one ever passes to him, at which point the entire locker room can make fun of him for being a selfish rear end. :v:

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

xzzy posted:

Seriously, no one gives a poo poo how bad you are.

Aburke27 posted:

Nothing more frustrating than what I have to deal with on my team. The team is filled with below average to bad players. We constantly get beat 7+ to 1. I can deal with all of this but what I can't deal with is the one kid on the team that cherry picks most of the game. He can't skate worth a drat and once he picks the puck up from standing on their blue line, cant even get any speed to get past the one or two defenders to do anything. If by sheer luck he has a break away, he cant even put a good shot or move on the goalie. So after bringing the puck through the neutral zone and into their end, I manufacture this kid a goal from the corner. Two games in a row now I put this kid on the score sheet. Two minutes left in the game, sure enough, there he is cherry picking again. He gets the pass on the left boards and three guys flock to him to take the puck. I skate to the open ice an yell for a pass and nothing comes. He tries to beat three guys instead of dishing me the puck for a break away. This above all pisses me off more than a team full of low skilled players.
Found it funny these two posts were right beside each other. :v:

But really, most all don't care how bad you are. If you're in the lowest league and people complain, that's their fault, not yours.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Being a poor hockey player is not the same as being a selfish dick.

Aburke27
Aug 2, 2004
HEaoheah
I give the lower skilled players advice all the time. They eat it up and I love being able to coach them and give them the ins and outs of hockey. I never complain about people who struggle on the ice. It's the player that doesnt contribute and plays selfish that really sets me off. He is a buddy or family of the league owner so yelling at him really doesnt accomplish much.

Aburke27
Aug 2, 2004
HEaoheah

xzzy posted:

He probably won't change either until someone tells him to knock it off, or people stop sending him the puck.

In the latter case, he'll probably start bitching that no one ever passes to him, at which point the entire locker room can make fun of him for being a selfish rear end. :v:

He did actually complain about not getting a pass while cherry picking. He then intentionally skated offsides to almost the boards behind the net as we were transitioning through the neutral zone.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Aburke27 posted:

He did actually complain about not getting a pass while cherry picking. He then intentionally skated offsides to almost the boards behind the net as we were transitioning through the neutral zone.

Great, so he's a wannabe superstar who pouts when he doesn't get treated like royalty.

I say you slip the other team a case of beer to put him in the boards a few times.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

sellouts posted:

Games that end 7-0 are usually pretty clearly one sided from the beginning, no?

Not always. You can have games where the goalie carries the team for a period or two before he runs out of energy and then the other team piles on goals in the last period or period in a half. Though those games are easy to spot, because the goalie is playing out of his mind and his teammaes are usually tripping over eachother while they allow 50 shots.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

Aniki posted:

Not always. You can have games where the goalie carries the team for a period or two before he runs out of energy and then the other team piles on goals in the last period or period in a half. Though those games are easy to spot, because the goalie is playing out of his mind and his teammaes are usually tripping over eachother while they allow 50 shots.

And yet another situation is where one team is definitely weaker than the other, but their best players are as good as or better than their opponents, and half the game is close. Then, the good players on the weaker team just start getting exhausted, coverage breaks down, and the better team can just start pumping goals in.

e: that is to say, one team is balanced, their skill level is all about equal, while the other isn't, at all.

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors
I don't care if someone is bad as long as they are making an effort to improve. If you're bad and you just don't give a poo poo then I'll kick you off the team because that isn't fair to everyone else. Haven't had that happen yet though, knock on wood.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Minister Robathan posted:

And yet another situation is where one team is definitely weaker than the other, but their best players are as good as or better than their opponents, and half the game is close. Then, the good players on the weaker team just start getting exhausted, coverage breaks down, and the better team can just start pumping goals in.

e: that is to say, one team is balanced, their skill level is all about equal, while the other isn't, at all.

That can definitely happen too and like you said it's just a matter that the stronger players can only cover for the weaker players for so long and once they wear down the rest of the team usually isn't good enough to step up.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Minister Robathan posted:

The third scenario is where one team is alot worse, but are giving 150% effort in the two first periods before getting raped in the third when they are all winded. See: All :norway: international games against the best teams in the world ever.

*Except sweden :smuggo:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Despite the whole team being hungover, we pulled out a 7-0 win. First playoff win for our team in our 3 seasons :woop:

After we scored one of our goals, we were all banging our sticks on the boards. You know, like every team in history does since the dawn of time. The ref skated over and told us not to do it and if we kept it up, we'd get a bench penalty. Is this real?

In a 7-0 game? yeah, you're being douches.

One of the dudes who was reffing last night had just come from doing 2 games in Vacaville with me. I guarantee the Bantam A game we did before the Bronze league games was more fun for him. ;)

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 6, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Aniki posted:

How many goals were you up when that happened? It's possible that the refs could have considered that taunting even if you were just innocently celebrating a goal.

2 or 3? It was still a game at that point.

:colbert:

Totally gonna bang my goalie stick in your tournament now!

e: What guy? Was he reffing our game?

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
^^idk, all I know is after we got done reffing the Bantam game in Vacaville he had to drive his rear end over to Roseville to ref Bronze gamss. And they sent Rucker to Vacaville to do the adult games. Made no sense. :confused:

:colbert:

Totally gonna bang my goalie stick in your tournament now!

You're going to get obliterated in the tournament most likely. The only way you'll be banging a goalie stick is in frustration.

I'd say the level of competition was like, Silver A/Gold B at the last one.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The Pandora lady who was at the rink last night said that there's a Bronze division for the tournament.

But yes we'll still probably get obliterated.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

They should call Bronze in any tournament the sandbaggers division.

The dude who is cherry picking, I'd just have a very pointed conversation with him. Do you know cherry picking? Do you know what you're doing? If not, explain it to him.

If he does, explain to him that you'll cause a billion turnovers rather than pass him the puck while he's doing it. You're already losing by large numbers, what's a few more? But if he's willing to play positionally you'll get him the puck and he'll have a chance to improve and pass and shoot and score.

He's too lovely to get the puck himself, which makes him easy to eliminate from the play.

If he starts skating offsides on purpose to stop the play there's not much you can do really other than get him the puck just enough to where he thinks there's a chance he'll get it, then remove him from the team next season. Or loving deck him.

JohnnyMortgage
Sep 21, 2006
I used to have dozens of fans.

MSwen23 posted:

I played intramurals at UConn this semester in a similar situation to you, and it was great. There's no difference between playing in A and B, its just that the top 6 teams play in the A playoffs and the bottom six play for the B playoffs. You play every team once no matter what league they're in. There are a lot of skilled kids but not many people take the league seriously.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
Week 2 instructional hockey trip report: My face hurts from smiling.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
For the first time in well...two plus seasons we had everyone show up tonight, which meant we rolled with 12 skaters.

For some reason instead of going with two groups of 4 skaters per forward line, and then 4 D, thus meaning every group had one person sit each shift which would let you skate with the same line throughtout the game. We decided to go with 5 D, and then two lines of fowards with one person going in one by one for each person on both lines.

It sort of worked through the first and some of the second, but we had a forward get semi-injured on a play and he had to come out before his shift was over and that was the end of that idiotic plan.

It didn't matter tho, we steamrolled one of the better teams in the league which felt pretty good because it was nice knowing you could skate all out and get a decent rest on the bench if you needed it.

Also because of prior tips this time when I got an assist I made sure to get to the scorer quickly and then tell the ref that I had a hand in the goal. Must've worked cause I got credited for my one tap-in goal and 2 assists on other goals.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
My rink currently has 4 sheets of ice and shares a parking lot with a minor league baseball stadium.. They have started the process of adding 2 more sheets of ice. If this happens they we be no parking at all:unsmith:

MSwen23
Jan 20, 2012

JohnnyMortgage posted:

I played intramurals at UConn this semester in a similar situation to you, and it was great. There's no difference between playing in A and B, its just that the top 6 teams play in the A playoffs and the bottom six play for the B playoffs. You play every team once no matter what league they're in. There are a lot of skilled kids but not many people take the league seriously.

Did you sign up on a team with friends or go through the Free Agency sheet in the SRF?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

bewbies posted:

So it seems that a bunch of former CHL goons playing together in a beer league do not like it when a bunch of dorks completely outplay them. We beat them 7-1 in goals, they beat us 20-0 in unnecessary slashes to unpadded areas and fight solicitations.

CHL skill levels are...variable.

I play drop-in/lunch league with the former captain of a CHL team and I've seen him absolutely undress every player on the ice. The last time I scored a goal against him (i.e. he was within 2' of the puck), he was annoyed enough to take the puck from the face-off, dangle around three guys (not scrubs), and put the puck in like he was going out to get the paper.

The worst part is that he's also the nicest sum'bitch on the ice.