Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Hempuli posted:

I think I'm finally beginning to kind of get what is going on in the story, but there's one story thread that has me stumped. What happened to the Alternian Jack? I tried to read stuff from the chapter to find out, but the last time I can find information about him is when he's shown fighting alongside Karkat. Did he just cease existing?

Are you fully caught up in the story? This was addressed in the top-bar sections of updates at some point, and then in Cascade. Edit: Oh. As you may have missed somehow, Alternia's Jack was exiled in his session, and became Spades Slick on the post-apocalyptic troll planet. His current wherabouts are unknown, as he was not explicitly listed as dead on Hussie's big deathsheet.

As for your other question, those pods can apparently hold multiple 'seeds', in some form that doesn't really take up space I suppose. So it had two passengers in seperate compartments, and later spat them out at their appropriate times like a pez dispenser. It was stated that Jack following the Prospit royalty was mostly a coincidence, as he was just mostly using the pod and the reckoning to avoid getting deleted in The Scratch. As he liked to stab things, and Dersites naturally hate Prospitians anyway, he took advantage of a good killing when he got it by chance.

Midnight Raider fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Mar 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Midnight Raider posted:

Are you fully caught up in the story? This was addressed in the top-bar sections of updates at some point, and then in Cascade.

I've read every page but not every pesterlog, so I may have missed something important, but weren't the top-bar banner things and the cascade stuff mostly about Jack fighting Snowman? Except now that I've said that aloud, I guess I see the pattern here - is the Jack in the green mansion the Alternian Jack?

EDIT: Thanks for the answers! I guess I get it now, although in the context of this comic 'coincidence' sounds somewhat suspicious!

Hempuli fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Mar 5, 2012

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

For all we know that might have been the only meteor with the seed pod so the "coincidence" might have been unavoidable, but Huss said himself on his tumblr that Jack only entered it to avoid the Scratch.

Do we know that there was only one seed pod in the ruins? It's possible that the WK and Jack entered different pods, is it not?

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

YF-23 posted:

For all we know that might have been the only meteor with the seed pod so the "coincidence" might have been unavoidable, but Huss said himself on his tumblr that Jack only entered it to avoid the Scratch.

Do we know that there was only one seed pod in the ruins? It's possible that the WK and Jack entered different pods, is it not?

It seemed pretty clear in Cascade that they were both in the same capsule.

I actually think that was pretty clever on Hussie's part. One of the biggest mysteries for the better part of the year was how Jack got from one session to the other. Having known since Act 4 that there was a second passenger in the Frog Temple might have at least partially explained it, but then we found out it was just the White King. It was a double red herring, in a sense: the first being that he was the only thing that would come out of the capsule, and the second being that he would have any impact on the plot at all.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Wait, what does the Scratch reset? I thought it was at least the planet and the adjoining session but apparently not even that, otherwise the kids' exiles wouldn't exist.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

The Scratch resets the session and the universe. It is unclear if the kids' Exiles were in B1 or B2 post-reckoning earth.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
No, they were definitely on B1 Earth. There were several specific relics - Zazzerpan's hand, the bass stuck in the elevator, and so forth. I'm not seeing the issue here, other than that the way this stuff works is kind of weird. The Scratch more or less puts an end to the session timeline and creates a new slightly different timeline for the parent universe. It's sort of confusing, but an important point is that the Incipisphere and the parent universe don't actually share a single notion of time even though players who haven't yet entered seem synced up with those who have.

So: when the Scratch happens, that's when the session ends (and is reset). But that doesn't necessarily mean anything for the parent universe, which in this case went on for about another 413 years and then ended because Jack destroyed it from outside. Why did that appear to take effect at that particular point in time viewed from the inside? Who knows. Circumstantial simultaneity. Jack being there on both ends. Maybe.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
One thing I've always liked to think is that the B Universe was always being destroyed via the red miles from the very moment it began existing (if you are outside of any given universe, you are outside of its temporal envelope), it just took an exponentially long time for the miles themselves to actually reach Earth. Meaning that 410 years from Jane's perspective right now, red miles will hit the Earth again.

There is no problem for the A Universe of course, since the destruction occurred in-universe.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Hempuli posted:

I've read every page but not every pesterlog

You may have missed quite a lot. :psyduck:

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Midnight Raider posted:

It was stated that Jack following the Prospit royalty was mostly a coincidence, as he was just mostly using the pod and the reckoning to avoid getting deleted in The Scratch. As he liked to stab things, and Dersites naturally hate Prospitians anyway, he took advantage of a good killing when he got it by chance.

I was under the impression Jack took of so he could hitch a ride to the Trolls' session so he could destroy Bilious Slick, from Karkat's revelation.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
That's where he ended up and what he then proceeded to do, but he wasn't planning it and in fact didn't even know exactly where he was going. He was just looking to get out of two mid-destruction realities in a row.

Hussie says as much here.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Regarding the music contest:

quote:

The deadline is 6 weeks from now, on 2/13/12. The album will be released two weeks after that.
Has there been a new date since then? I think they were accepting art up until late last week, so this is clearly wrong.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
That was the deadline for music submissions. Songs were picked after it passed, and then the call for art went out. The deadline for that was Saturday, so we'll quite likely see the album posted around the same time as the next major story update. (Maybe we'll get a clearer look at UU at the end of a flash. Would make an amusing parallel to an album of fan music.)

The delay might have been because there were more submissions than expected? Not sure.

Hamiltonian Bicycle fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 5, 2012

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

pandaK posted:

What is the post from Jit and crew that you were talking about in that post?

Jit's post on mastering

Tensei on mastering, part 1

Tensei on mastering, part 2

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

One thing I've always liked to think is that the B Universe was always being destroyed via the red miles from the very moment it began existing (if you are outside of any given universe, you are outside of its temporal envelope), it just took an exponentially long time for the miles themselves to actually reach Earth. Meaning that 410 years from Jane's perspective right now, red miles will hit the Earth again.

There is no problem for the A Universe of course, since the destruction occurred in-universe.

Didn't one of the Act 6 Intermission 1 panels show that the B2 universe consists of a small remnant of the Troll's Genesis Frog that Jack destroyed? I'm guessing the Scratch saved just enough of the Genesis Frog so that the B2 universe could exist, or at least Earth.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hempuli posted:

I think I'm finally beginning to kind of get what is going on in the story, but there's one story thread that has me stumped. What happened to the Alternian Jack? I tried to read stuff from the chapter to find out, but the last time I can find information about him is when he's shown fighting alongside Karkat. Did he just cease existing?

He killed Snowman, which caused the end of that universe and everything inside of it including him.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Now now, on that one panel where robo-Hussie was shown with all the characters in the background (and the dead ones marked with a red X), Spades Slick was marked with a red question mark.

Which probably just means that Hussie hasn't decided if he wants to use Spades Slick again or not. He could just as easily be floating on a chunk of Doc Scratch's tower that wasn't destroyed, just as with Doc Scratch/Lord English. I sometimes get the impression Hussie leaves a lot of things intentionally up in the air that even he hasn't yet worked out, in order to look for interesting connections and twists he can make out of them later. If there's a good one for SS, he'll have him be alive. Otherwise, he'll be dead.

Edit: VVVVV He does seem close enough to Doc Scratch to perhaps cross over into the mysterious and nebulously-defined narrative boundaries inhabited by self-insert-Hussie, and having what looked to be a joke offhand reply to a question turn out to be true is well in keeping with Hussie too...

Dolash fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 5, 2012

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I think he's alive and well, being nursed back to health in Hussie's room (as he answered in one of his Q&As). I have a feeling that is just the kind of thing that he would do to a character who has expended his plot relevance for now.

Jack doesn't go down easy.

Scale Model Giant
Jan 19, 2009
I wouldn't be all that surprised if all 3 Jacks (plus maybe A1's Jack to round it off) end up teaming up in an effort to destroy All of Everything, Ever.

That is, if they don't all stab each other to death first.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Scale Model Giant posted:

It would be consistent with the recurring theme of characters hating alternate versions of themselves.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I wouldn't be all that surprised if all 3 Jacks (plus maybe A1's Jack to round it off) end up teaming up in an effort to destroy All of Everything, Ever.

Oddly, Spades Slick has always been one of my favourite choices for killing Bec Noir. Probably because the meta-character of Jack Noir is popular and entertaining, but the specific instance of Bec Noir has done too much evil and become too powerful to survive. Spades Slick is really no better of a person but incidentally he's managed to not hurt anyone we care about. There's a certain legend-building drama to "Only Jack Noir can kill Jack Noir", not to mention the effect it might have on Karkat to see it.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.

Dolash posted:

Oddly, Spades Slick has always been one of my favourite choices for killing Bec Noir. Probably because the meta-character of Jack Noir is popular and entertaining, but the specific instance of Bec Noir has done too much evil and become too powerful to survive. Spades Slick is really no better of a person but incidentally he's managed to not hurt anyone we care about. There's a certain legend-building drama to "Only Jack Noir can kill Jack Noir", not to mention the effect it might have on Karkat to see it.

A2 Jack has stabbed Karkat a number of times, though allegedly at least one of those times was accidental.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I dunno, in the Felt intermission, alternate timeline Jacks were able to cooperate without much friction.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Lady of the Beech posted:

A2 Jack has stabbed Karkat a number of times, though allegedly at least one of those times was accidental.

That's just his way of saying hello.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Walliard posted:

That's just his way of saying hello.

Yeah, it wasn't really played up as an evil act, even though it obviously came from the same murder-mode mindset we see with Bec Noir.

Jack Noir is a great example of a character who can hold the audience's sympathy or disgust, be a protagonist or antagonist, while still being fundamentally the same person, all based purely on what circumstances they're put into.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I'd like to imagine a normal Jack would think Bec Noir looks like a big stupid dog and would go out of his way to try to kill him.

I mean, this whole thing happened because Noir didn't like clown/princess clothing.

SexyBrianPuppet
Oct 5, 2010

remember, you are talking to the pranking MASTER.

Bobulus posted:

I'd like to imagine a normal Jack would think Bec Noir looks like a big stupid dog and would go out of his way to try to kill him.

I mean, this whole thing happened because Noir didn't like clown/princess clothing.

But Jack loves dogs. He has a subscription to Terrier Fancy Magazine and everything.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Dolash posted:

I think it would be even better if Spades Slick killed Lord English. I mean, when all is said and done, if Lord English ever becomes a direct threat to whoever is still around at the end of Homestuck, nothing would please me more than if Spades Slick came out of nowhere and stabbed Lord English.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Constable Lemon posted:

I think it would be even better if Spades Slick killed Lord English. I mean, when all is said and done, if Lord English ever becomes a direct threat to whoever is still around at the end of Homestuck, nothing would please me more than if Spades Slick came out of nowhere and stabbed Lord English.

I think it would be unsatisfying if he showed up out of nowhere and delivered the killing blow, but I wouldn't mind if attacked at a moment the kids were all on the ropes and put things back in balance. Especially if he showed up patched up with pieces of a dismantled Hussiebot.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
You know, I don't think we ever figured out how he got patched up the first time. In a universe where all the Felt and the rest of the Midnight Crew were dead, who the gently caress built him a robot arm?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Bobulus posted:

I think it would be unsatisfying if he showed up out of nowhere and delivered the killing blow, but I wouldn't mind if attacked at a moment the kids were all on the ropes and put things back in balance. Especially if he showed up patched up with pieces of a dismantled Hussiebot.

YggiDee posted:

You know, I don't think we ever figured out how he got patched up the first time. In a universe where all the Felt and the rest of the Midnight Crew were dead, who the gently caress built him a robot arm?

Now I have the idea in my head that Spades Slick's robot arm is actually the arm of Hussbot, obtained at some unknown point on the timeline. Then, if he is the one to stab LE into submission, it could be said that the villain of the story was struck down by the literal hand of the author.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Thundarr posted:

Now I have the idea in my head that Spades Slick's robot arm is actually the arm of Hussbot, obtained at some unknown point on the timeline. Then, if he is the one to stab LE into submission, it could be said that the villain of the story was struck down by the literal hand of the author.

Those nanomachines also sound like a great excuse to make Spades into a narrator.

Just think about it, Homestuck narrated by Spades Slick. :allears:

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

YF-23 posted:

Just think about it, Homestuck narrated by Spades Slick. :allears:
Call me crazy, but does Spades Slick actually have a different narration than Jack Noir? Like, Jack Noir has his Problem Sleuthy narration during Intermission while Spades Slick has the whole "he says this then you say that and he says that other thing while you do this" kind of narration.

If that's true then, yeah, it would be pretty neat to see Spades Slick narrating.

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y

YggiDee posted:

Well, the Alternian exiles did manage to build an entire drat civilization. They might have perfected the technology before their universe was ended.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Has anyone else watched the video Hussie reblogged on his tumblr? I highly recommend it. Here's the direct link. It speaks for itself and I don't have anything else to add.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

creationist believer posted:

Has anyone else watched the video Hussie reblogged on his tumblr? I highly recommend it. Here's the direct link. It speaks for itself and I don't have anything else to add.

This has been going around Facebook and Tumblr like wildfire lately. I should add that Kony hasn't been active in Uganda since 2006 and his Lord's Resistance Army is essentially defeated. Uganda has problems, but Kony isn't one of them.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Just to add to that, Kony and his army are legit horrible but you might want to be careful about supporting the specific organization kicking this off - they're involved less with making things better than with making sure everyone sees the guy as even worse than he already is (if that's even possible) in order to drum up support and funding for other forces in the region, some of which aren't actually that much better than the LRA. Handle with care.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
I admittedly know more about fictional grey kids than real Ugandan kids, thanks for the link and rebuttal. It's an effective video in terms of making you care and want to repost it :shobon:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

I admittedly know more about fictional grey kids than real Ugandan kids, thanks for the link and rebuttal. It's an effective video in terms of making you care and want to repost it :shobon:

It is. I knew it was big when I saw it was circulating among three groups of friends of mine who don't know each other :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I found the video suspiciously vague, not to mention White Man's Burden as all hell. Very light on details and very heavy on white westerners feeling good about themselves.

Also, telling your little kid that someone is evil and then basically saying "Look, even my kid knows he's evil!" is the dumbest rhetorical tactic I've ever seen.