Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

BonzoESC posted:

Why is it bullshit? You have to invest substantial time and knowledge to understand the "decoded" codes once you've spent the $20 on the reader anyways.

Hiding complexity makes the car easier to use and easier to support. Manufacturers bear the costs of customer complexity from support costs, initial reliability ratings (see JD Power and MyFord Touch or w/e), and such. Unless it's a frighteningly common user error like gas caps (which Ford fixed with a self-closing gas cap), it doesn't really matter to the user beyond "gently caress YOU STOP NOW I'M SELF-DESTRUCTING" vs. "Call a mechanic in the next day or so."

Because it's anti-consumer. Your gas cap example is a good reason why just a check engine light is unacceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Cakefool posted:

Just so you're aware, bluetooth often gives better sound quality that jacks & cables, the digital signal is sent from your phone to the head unit, then turned into an analogue signal by your dedicated hundreds-of-dollars audio system, not converted by the DAC chip in your phone that costs pennies, sent through a pair of 10c jacks, down a 10c cable to your head unit, which then takes the 2-channel sound & guesses which of your 6+ speakers to send it to.

I wish I had bluetooth in my car, as it is I had to hack the tapeplayer to accept a 3.5mm jack :v:

Actually, you've got it backwards. While it's true that your phone probably doesn't have a very good DAC, your car's audio system probably doesn't have one that's much better either. In fact, because phones are designed to be used with headphones (which highlight differences in audio quality more than speakers) there's a good chance the engineers who designed it gave more care to the DAC circuitry than the guys designing the stock head unit in your average car. Not that it really matters, anyways: driving at highway speeds could you really hear the difference between a DAC with a -65 dBm noise floor and one with -105 dBm? And Bluetooth's A2DP audio protocol can force re-compression of the audio depending on which codec the file uses and which codecs your head unit supports which will lower the quality far more than any 10 cent cable would.

Also, no matter whether you use Bluetooth or analog your head unit is going to be "guessing" where to send your stereo audio to. Bluetooth A2DP is restricted to stereo or mono, the same as your 3.5mm jack, and 99% of music is stereo (or mono) anyways. The only way a digital connection would make a difference is if you were listening to something that was originally in surround sound and the digital connection supported surround sound.

Bluetooth is extremely convenient, but don't confuse convenience with quality.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
I thought the point in saying, "USB connector (with software support for iPod/iphone" is because the data transfer over USB is digital from the iPhone?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

oRenj9 posted:

I thought the point in saying, "USB connector (with software support for iPod/iphone" is because the data transfer over USB is digital from the iPhone?

I believe he was talking about Bluetooth vs. Line-In. USB transfer is obviously the best, if you don't mind plugging and unplugging your iPod. Myself, I have an ancient iPod that I dedicate to keeping in the car, so that's not a problem for me.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ppp posted:

Because it's anti-consumer. Your gas cap example is a good reason why just a check engine light is unacceptable.

The gas cap is a common error that was made impossible through engineering and design in a way that doesn't require effort and understanding from the user.

As far as decoding trouble codes to some kind of in-car display, maybe something like a secret input sequence (i.e. the field test modes on cell phones) would work, but that's considerable software complexity compared to the OBD-2 codes that they're legally obligated to provide anyways.

It would be cool if Chevrolet gave me a free Corvette ZR-1 (attn. GM PR: call me), but they're not in the business of throwing away six-figure sums of money to appease one of the least-profitable demographics (people who buy one car and then drive it for decades and don't buy new ones).

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Cakefool posted:

Just so you're aware, bluetooth often gives better sound quality that jacks & cables, the digital signal is sent from your phone to the head unit, then turned into an analogue signal by your dedicated hundreds-of-dollars audio system, not converted by the DAC chip in your phone that costs pennies, sent through a pair of 10c jacks, down a 10c cable to your head unit, which then takes the 2-channel sound & guesses which of your 6+ speakers to send it to.

I wish I had bluetooth in my car, as it is I had to hack the tapeplayer to accept a 3.5mm jack :v:

For me bluetooth has been very hit or miss depending on what car and phone I'm using - sometimes its very clearly compressed, sometimes it sounds pretty decent. As for multichannels that's pretty much moot anyway as all the music on my iPod and phone is straight stereo anyway.

BTW I use a tape adapter too so I'm definitely not fussy, it actually works surprisingly well in my car.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
The 3.5mm audio jack in the Yaris is one of the very few things about this car that I don't hate.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
There's plenty of technical fixes you could use to limit the distraction from making phone calls while driving without banning them entirely. I'm imagining some built-in computer mom that starts beeping at you to pay attention if you're talking too much before it yells "HE'LL CALL YOU BACK HE'S DRIVING" and hangs up when it detects stuff ahead or if there's lots of driver inputs going in all of a sudden. Then later when you park the car it will scold you for driving and talking on the phone like an idiot. If you try to avoid it, it will hector you like Mr. Resetti in those Nintendo games until you apologize and promise to be a better driver.

Or, hell, limit your calls to non-realtime communication only where you just push short voice messages, so the driver can respond at their leisure.

I use the phone when driving sometimes, but it's mostly limited to really short calls with limited interaction like "Hello? I'm 20 minutes away, get ready. Gotta go, I'm still driving, bye". I also can't stand people who call you up from their car phones just to chat because they're bored while driving around town or something.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cream_Filling posted:

I also can't stand people who call you up from their car phones just to chat because they're bored while driving around town or something.

Good lord, this. Or the people who won't take "yeah, I'm on the road right now" as a cue to shut up and call back later. I already can barely hear you because of my busted-rear end speakerphone, and now you want to just have a random conversation? Wait until I arrive already.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'm definitely guilty of conducting business calls while driving, but that's due to a decent amount of road time and not nearly enough time to accomplish everything.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

BonzoESC posted:

The gas cap is a common error that was made impossible through engineering and design in a way that doesn't require effort and understanding from the user.

As far as decoding trouble codes to some kind of in-car display, maybe something like a secret input sequence (i.e. the field test modes on cell phones) would work, but that's considerable software complexity compared to the OBD-2 codes that they're legally obligated to provide anyways.

It would be cool if Chevrolet gave me a free Corvette ZR-1 (attn. GM PR: call me), but they're not in the business of throwing away six-figure sums of money to appease one of the least-profitable demographics (people who buy one car and then drive it for decades and don't buy new ones).

More info could be good so long as it's well handled. The computer analogy is apt in both ways because on one hand you have poo poo like Apple's big frowny face and numerical error codes, and on the other you have infamies like "PC LOAD LETTER" and the various scary and indecipherable error messages you sometimes get.

I feel like a reasonable amount of additional info would actually benefit auto dealers because plenty of people have this weird paranoia that dealers are going to cheat them every time. But if the car actually tells you "Change Air Filter" or "Water Pump Warning," and remembers the car's official maintenance schedule, people will be more willing to buy poo poo from the dealer and will remember to take their cars in for maintenance. I'm far more willing and likely to obey a status message, the discretionary text scrolling at the bottom of a screen, or message of the day when I start the car than I am an e-mail, post-card, or random phone call from a dealer telling me that I'm due for my 50,000 mile service or that my coolant levels seem to show leaking or whatever.

On the subject of car nav/infocomp systems, one good trend these days is the rise of stuff like Sync or the new MeeGo based systems that use fairly unified platforms instead of whatever horrific proprietary crap the supplier cooked up. This opens up the option of hacked and custom firmwares written by enthusiasts since the engineering effort to break into a system can be shared. If even a shred of the homebrew support you get for smartphones or consoles could be had, this opens up a lot of great opportunities for car owners, particularly driving enthusiasts.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 5, 2012

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm definitely guilty of conducting business calls while driving, but that's due to a decent amount of road time and not nearly enough time to accomplish everything.

Dunno, if you're cruising on the highway and using cruise control, I don't see the issue unless you're also looking up figures and graphs or taking notes or something.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Cream_Filling posted:

I feel like a reasonable amount of additional info would actually benefit auto dealers because plenty of people have this weird paranoia that dealers are going to cheat them every time. But if the car actually tells you "Change Air Filter" or "Water Pump Warning," and remembers the car's official maintenance schedule, people will be more willing to buy poo poo from the dealer and will remember to take their cars in for maintenance. I'm far more willing and likely to obey a status message, the discretionary text scrolling at the bottom of a screen, or message of the day when I start the car than I am an e-mail, post-card, or random phone call from a dealer telling me that I'm due for my 50,000 mile service or that my coolant levels seem to show leaking or whatever.

They already put quite a lot of info into some cars, particularly safety related systems.

I got a cab in Singapore (previous model C-Class I think) and it had all sorts of dire warnings scrolling across the dashboard - "SRS failure GO TO DEALER IMMEDIATELY", "ABS failure GO TO DEALER IMMEDIATELY" and also something about a door being open (it wasn't). Obviously the driver was ignoring them completely.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

dissss posted:

They already put quite a lot of info into some cars, particularly safety related systems.

I got a cab in Singapore (previous model C-Class I think) and it had all sorts of dire warnings scrolling across the dashboard - "SRS failure GO TO DEALER IMMEDIATELY", "ABS failure GO TO DEALER IMMEDIATELY" and also something about a door being open (it wasn't). Obviously the driver was ignoring them completely.

The Ford Escape cab I was in in South Beach on Saturday had a TPMS warning light on, and I've been in cabs in Miami that got into three-digit speeds because the driver really doesn't care about the dashboard.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What's wrong with three digit speeds? :D

Anyway, just saw the new A-Class:

Holy poo poo, that's just so much better than the old one, it's amazing. It's probably still FWD but other than that I think it looks great.

A few friends and I are going to Geneva later this week, so maybe I'll get a closer look at it (do they let people touch/sit in them?). You can expect a bunch of photos as well of anything that won't be covered to death by then.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

The new Aventador J is just awesome.

There'll only be one. But just look at it!

Scottw330
Jan 24, 2005

Please, Hammer,
Don't Hurt Em :(
217 mph without a windscreen? I think it should come with a pair of those old aviator goggles.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Jeez, having the guy sitting in there makes it look ENORMOUS

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Saw this on autoblog:

Did Mitsubishi get an actual soccer mom to model with their soccer mom SUV?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

everyone posted:

Bluetooth

Welp, thats me schooled :suicide:

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

A5H posted:

The new Aventador J is just awesome.

There'll only be one. But just look at it!

Looks great but i actually think the BAC mono looks better and i think i would just enjoy it more over all. Plus BAC mono is a helluva lot cheaper.

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

Ruf stretched panamera, 6 inches longer than the current lwb 7 series. I want some subway now

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ppp posted:

Ruf stretched panamera, 6 inches longer than the current lwb 7 series. I want some subway now

there's an internet meme that fits that picture but I'll be damned I'm going to post it.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Howay Bentley, give your head a wobble.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

A5H posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Read about a new car you hate? Post it here, in the news-thread!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
So there's a bunch of poo poo bouncing around about the next generation of the WRX/STI, which will probably move from the 80s chic EJ series of boxer engines to the new and futuristic FB series (as seen in modified FA form in the BRZ/FRS/86/GT86).

Some of the rumours from various sources:
  • Coupe! This one seems unlikely.
  • Direct injection
  • Evo X style "lean spool"
  • Very low displacement (1.6L)
  • Electric turbocharger that uses a clutched heat-driven generator to simplify exhaust plumbing and reduce turbo lag
  • Twin-charging
  • CVT option
  • BRZ chassis, or at least substantially different from the Impreza
  • Possibly going upmarket?
There was also the news item from last week where Subaru Australia expressed disdain at having to listen to what other countries' Subaru offices think is best for the WRX/STI instead of turning it away from the fat fragile beast it's becoming and back at being a rally rocket. I say listen to the Australians.

As you can see, there's a whole pile of rumours and almost all of them are likely bullshit. We'll see what Subaru decides soon.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Friar Zucchini posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Read about a new car you hate? Post it here, in the news-thread!

You know perfectly well that it's going to be the best-selling car they've ever produced.

And I'll be honest -- as much as I dislike the car itself, I kind of dig the turbine thing they have going on in the fog lamps. I hope those spin.

quote:

Electric turbocharger that uses a clutched heat-driven generator to simplify exhaust plumbing and reduce turbo lag
I don't know about the rest of them but this is clearly bullshit for a whole whack of reasons

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 6, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

I don't know about the rest of them but this is clearly bullshit for a whole whack of reasons
BMW and FHI both have similar patents on it, so I'm willing to believe it's possible. Is it practical for consumer use? I'd be surprised.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 6, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ah, I see...the electric motor actually just prespools the turbine so it's always near operational speed, with the actual energy required for useful boost still coming from the exhaust. That seems a whole lot more reasonable.

Sure isn't something I'd want to work on, though :gonk:

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

There was also the news item from last week where Subaru Australia expressed disdain at having to listen to what other countries' Subaru offices think is best for the WRX/STI instead of turning it away from the fat fragile beast it's becoming and back at being a rally rocket. I say listen to the Australians.

I'm betting the only reason Subaru Australia cares is because CT and KB keep sending them John Galt monologue length e-mails about handling and rally and the wrx that may or may not be coherent. They're secretly hoping turning it back into a rally rocket will make these e-mails stop.

Evanauto
Jul 27, 2007

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God.

Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed among cocktails.
Pray for me now, and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.
Amen.

Friar Zucchini posted:

:golfclap:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I thought it worthy of discussion. Sorry bros. :yum:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Sagebrush posted:

Ah, I see...the electric motor actually just prespools the turbine so it's always near operational speed, with the actual energy required for useful boost still coming from the exhaust. That seems a whole lot more reasonable.

Sure isn't something I'd want to work on, though :gonk:

Is it really that much worse than the current system where you have two sets of plumbing going through a single point and a lot of stuff is purely mechanical instead of software?

I'd imagine you'd have a generator unit stuck on the exhaust end and then a compressor motor/turbine on the intake end, with only electric wires and capacitors/batteries connecting the two. Routing a wire is way easier than routing actual gasses, either air or exhaust. And on top of that, it means a lot more opportunity for low-effort tuning since programming changes could radically alter performance.

In addition to the savings from all that extra plumbing as well as the fact that the heat from the exhaust is separated from the heat of the air compression, you'd have what is essentially a cheap anti-lag system since the energy generated from the exhaust gas could be decoupled at least partly from the energy spent on compression. Not to mention the fact that you're eliminating the need for multiple turbos. Even though there would be some really significant losses in efficiency from having to transform kinetic energy to electrical energy and then back again, you could also add in other sources of energy like regenerative braking to help power the compressor. It's an interesting concept. Maybe someone with more technical knowledge than me can tell me if my wild guesses are anything close to accurate.

edit: gently caress, beaten and also I was wrong. Looks like it's some sort of super-complicated system that's basically a hybrid drivetrain in miniature crammed into the turbine.

Though this does open up the question of what the best control for an electronic turbo-boost would be. Maybe a big red button on the shifter? What do the KERS cars in F1 use for their push to pass buttons?

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 6, 2012

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

Cream_Filling posted:

Though this does open up the question of what the best control for an electronic turbo-boost would be. Maybe a big red button on the shifter? What do the KERS cars in F1 use for their push to pass buttons?

button on the steering wheel, just like Literally Everything Else except for gas and brake

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

A5H posted:

Looks like a bodykit on a Land Rover.

The funny thing is that Bentleys are so tall and fat that at first, with the back end cropped off by my window, I just thought it was some sort of downsized mini-Bentley in the vein of the Rolls Royce Ghost because of the proportions. I don't think there would be any real difference between a Bentley station wagon and a Bentley SUV.

It's ugly but then again it's not like Cayenne ugly. Bentleys are giant cars with big engines for dumb rich people, so I don't see it as really diluting their brand at all.

Mr. Pither
May 28, 2006

Hello, friends!

Cream_Filling posted:

Bentleys are giant cars with big engines for dumb rich people, so I don't see it as really diluting their brand at all.
I suppose SUVs have evolved to fit the niche of massive isolation boxes for the well-heeled. I wonder how much longer it will be before we start seeing one from Rolls-Royce.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
That Bentley may be a bit on the fugly-side (but it could be waaaaaaaay way way worse), the interior is just magnificent.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

mobby_6kl posted:

What's wrong with three digit speeds? :D

Anyway, just saw the new A-Class:

Holy poo poo, that's just so much better than the old one, it's amazing. It's probably still FWD but other than that I think it looks great.

A few friends and I are going to Geneva later this week, so maybe I'll get a closer look at it (do they let people touch/sit in them?). You can expect a bunch of photos as well of anything that won't be covered to death by then.

So, is this another one of those hatches that we can expect to not see in America? Because that car looks gorgeous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

You guys actually think that looks good? Looks like a truck has backed into it to me.