Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Crossposting from the what did you do thread:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

SaNChEzZ posted:

Crossposting from the what did you do thread:

Nice I saw one of these today and he wouldn't wave to me...:(

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

That is one very nice WR you have there.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Gullous posted:

I have a 690E with the 17" wheels, and the stock 15:45 gearing. It's short... In 1st you have to make an effort to keep the front down. It's ridiculous, but I love it.

The gearing doesn't make any major compromises for the freeway. In sixth it felt comfortable around 70mph (no tach).

I think I'm going to switch to a 15t on the front with my SMC when I next change chain/sprockets. The gearing is way too tall if you're stuck in traffic (a lot of our roads are too skinny to lane split). Making this thing even more prone to lift the front will be 'interesting'...

...and by 'interesting' I mean :supaburn:

Niven
Apr 16, 2003

SaNChEzZ posted:

WR

Do those come stock with the black frame/swingarm? I really like that.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

ReelBigLizard posted:

I think I'm going to switch to a 15t on the front with my SMC when I next change chain/sprockets. The gearing is way too tall if you're stuck in traffic (a lot of our roads are too skinny to lane split). Making this thing even more prone to lift the front will be 'interesting'...

...and by 'interesting' I mean :supaburn:

Do it! You can change the throttle mapping through Tune ECU if you want more precise input at low throttle. Personally I leave it at the #2 setting, but I haven't ridden pavement for a while...

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Is there any reason I couldn't find a second SM wheelset and put dirt tires on that? I really like having the large front wheel offroad.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Is there any reason I couldn't find a second SM wheelset and put dirt tires on that? I really like having the large front wheel offroad.

Dirt wheels are larger though? Dirt is usually 21F / 18 or 19R depending on preference. They're also much cheaper than a SM wheel set typically.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

JP Money posted:

Dirt wheels are larger though? Dirt is usually 21F / 18 or 19R depending on preference. They're also much cheaper than a SM wheel set typically.

I thought the dirt wheels were smaller like 19f/17r and the SM was like 21f/18r or something.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

/\/\/\ you have that backwards. Dirt is 21/20 front and 19/18 back usually. SM is always 17", and some oddball 16.5" fronts

I'm sort of confused, you have the SM now (17" wheels) and would like to get another set of 17"s for mounting 'dirt' tires onto?

The selection of real dirt tread is very limited in 17"

If you want any real off road prowess... get real dirt wheels

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dirt is 21 front 18 rear.

Supermoto is 17 on both ends.

You can put Maxxis 6006's on 17's and make your sumo into basically a big TW200

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 27, 2012

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Spiffness posted:

/\/\/\ you have that backwards. Dirt is 21/20 front and 19/18 back usually. SM is always 17", and some oddball 16.5" fronts

I'm sort of confused, you have the SM now (17" wheels) and would like to get another set of 17"s for mounting 'dirt' tires onto?

The selection of real dirt tread is very limited in 17"

If you want any real off road prowess... get real dirt wheels

Ok, I'm really glad I asked then; For some reason I was under the impression the SM wheels were larger.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Niven posted:

Do those come stock with the black frame/swingarm? I really like that.

Yep, it's all stock.

MotoMind posted:

That is one very nice WR you have there.

It's all thanks to you buddy!

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Smaller wheels = less trail and less rotational mass = quicker steering.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Smaller wheels also = poor tracking in ruts and over obstacles.

SaNChEzZ posted:

It's all thanks to you buddy!

Glad it's working out for ya. Come on up north and we'll see if you got a good one.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
All his friends say its too slow and he should have bought a sportbike or harley so looks like it isnt.

:smug:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

BotchedLobotomy posted:

All his friends say its too slow and he should have bought a sportbike or harley so looks like it isnt.

:smug:

All our friends are faggots though, we'll outride them on our low displacement dirtbikes any day.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

SaNChEzZ posted:

All our friends are faggots though, we'll outride them on our low displacement dirtbikes any day.

Take it to the mountains and shame sportbike riders all day. Feels good man. Until the straights :/

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

JP Money posted:

Take it to the mountains and shame sportbike riders all day. Feels good man. Until the straights :/

Take it to the mountains, go off on purpose, feels good man.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

JP Money posted:

The ultimate supermoto "gently caress you" is to beat someone in the twisties so bad that they can only catch up to you but not pass you on the straights, and then put the distance back on in the next section of twisties.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Olde Weird Tip posted:

The ultimate supermoto "gently caress you" is to beat someone in the twisties so bad that they can only catch up to you but not pass you on the straights, and then put the distance back on in the next section of twisties.

So far I've found I ride a super moto much faster in the twisties than I ever did on a sportbike. I rode with someone on Saturday I used to ride with on the R1. I used to lose sight of him after maybe 5-10 mins of riding. I had no problems keeping up on the DRZ. I would lose it on the straights but I cornered faster than him by far. It's really hard to tell people how well the motos corner. They kind of refuse to believe it.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

If when you come out of the last corner on to the straight you immediately go into a BP wheelie they can't feel that awesome when they put the extra 100 HP down and pass you

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Spiffness posted:

If when you come out of the last corner on to the straight you immediately go into a BP wheelie they can't feel that awesome when they put the extra 100 HP down and pass you

I just casually mentioned that I still don't know how to back it in and when I learn my cornering will get even better.

Speaking of which, whats the best way to start learning to back it in? I'm not afraid to take my lumps but no point putting skin on the line if I don't have to.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Good tires, good pavement, lots of front brake (lots), a good sharp corner and aggressive downshifting

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I always get mad rear end chatter when I try to back it in. :(

And I can't do this either...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bbRn2R_w8U

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I always get mad rear end chatter when I try to back it in. :(

And I can't do this either...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bbRn2R_w8U

I can do a turning wheelie, although I make a point not to if it can be avoided.

Let me see if I understand the procedure for backing it in.

Approach corner @ speed

Brake aggressively

Downshift like mad (this is where I'm getting lost I think how far do I downshift? do I stay on the gas or close the throttle completely?)

Feather the rear brake

Slide around the corner

power wheelie out

Am I missing anything? My Grandpa yelled at me when I mentioned it to him. Something about tearing up the transmission. Which I assume would be an issue if our gear ratios weren't so tight and it took longer to spin the engine up.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Spiffness posted:

Good tires, good pavement, lots of front brake (lots), a good sharp corner and aggressive downshifting

This is good advice. I read all these guides and it's goddamn hilarious to be going into a turn while trying to think "Ok step four I shift my weight inside a bit while continuing clutch modulation...I think there was a footnote about slightly hitting the rear brake ummm poo poo". Then at the track I went fast into a chicane after a long straight and it just happened as a result. The rear was squealing like a kicked pig and I don't even remember if I modulated the clutch or not, only that I slid for awhile and almost smacked the foam barrier I was trying to apex.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

I can do a turning wheelie, although I make a point not to if it can be avoided.

I lazily grabbed a little too much throttle coming out of a turn the other day and realized I can do this too... but more like on accident. This Ulysses is going to get me arrested.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

clutchpuck posted:

I lazily grabbed a little too much throttle coming out of a turn the other day and realized I can do this too... but more like on accident. This Ulysses is going to get me arrested.

My experience was similar. Was sitting at a light on the R1 next to a Z06 'vette. Guy was revving at me and I kept shaking my head. Light goes green he dumps the clutch at around 5-6k and swing right into my lane. I pinned the throttle and dumped the clutch, almost looped it but ended up making a good 100' right hander on 1 wheel. Tapped my rear brake to set it down, went home and changed my shorts.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Z3n posted:

Beginner's guide to backing it in:

Get going in a straight line, get up to 5th gear, around 60mph, and then clutch in, get hard on the front brake, pound down to 2nd, and start letting the clutch out. If the back wheel hops, you need to let the clutch out more. If the back end waggles smoothly, then you're on the right track. After that, try the same thing, but rather than being upright, lean the bike over just a little bit, and let the rear end end slide out to the side.

If you gently caress it up in a straight line, you get wheel hop. If you gently caress it up while leaned over a bit, the bike's gonna snap upright and push you wide, so practice this in a place with a lot of runoff, like a parking lot. Most of the time, you'll be backing it in midway through your braking zone, and everything will be back in line before turn in. Once you're really comfortable with the bike getting sideway on corner entrance, you can start backing it in after turn in, and you'll develop a feel for that when the time comes.

If your bike doesn't have a lot of engine braking, and you're only getting wheel hop, then you can drag a little rear brake to slide out. Also, the harder you are on the front, the easier it is to back it in, so make sure you're REALLY hard on the front, the rear should be almost completely unweighted to assist it getting sideways.

I think that covers the basics. The biggest thing that I struggled with was getting it to stop hopping and start sliding. My lightbulb moment was when I realized I could make it slide more by using the rear brake, and that allowed me to handle the wheel hop and really start getting comfortable hanging it out.

A slipper clutch makes it super easy, bang your downshifts, drop the clutch, and add rear brake to taste.

I posted this awhile back. Covers it ok.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Z3n posted:

I posted this awhile back. Covers it ok.

I read this like a year ago. I remembered seeing it but, I couldn't find it again. You rock, we have to ride sometime!
Thanks

toolshed
Sep 1, 2001
I've actually accidentally done this once, trying to make a left turn through a rapidly waning green light. In that case though, the rear end came back in line before I turned.

I assume if i'd been going faster and braked harder/later, the tail would still have been wagging out when it was time to turn in? When am I supposed to turn in relation to all of this?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

toolshed posted:

I've actually accidentally done this once, trying to make a left turn through a rapidly waning green light. In that case though, the rear end came back in line before I turned.

I assume if i'd been going faster and braked harder/later, the tail would still have been wagging out when it was time to turn in? When am I supposed to turn in relation to all of this?

If you just get going in a straight line at speed, downshift and turn at the same time you let out the clutch you'll feel the rear end end of the bike step out of line. If you plan on backing it in you basically need to enhance this effect so you need to be going faster, turning harder, and modulating the clutch after a few downshifts to make it happen.

If your bike has no slipper clutch it's probably really jerky. At least it is on my DRZ. If the pavement you're on is rough at all your tire will probably skip around a bit as the back wheel catches.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Had the DRZ on a dyno today, 36.99 Horses. time to start saving for an FCR and DRZ-E cams.
http://youtu.be/iJoX_ILhqzM

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

If anyone is coming down to Daytona this week for bike week and wants to get together to do some test rides lemme know. KTM will have all their bikes available and I'm really looking forward to getting on 690SMC as it's going to be my next bike!

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Will they even have one there? the SMC isn't being imported to the US anymore as far as I know, so I don't think they'll be demoing a bike they don't sell.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Slim Pickens posted:

Will they even have one there? the SMC isn't being imported to the US anymore as far as I know, so I don't think they'll be demoing a bike they don't sell.

Wow, I had no idea they weren't importing the SMC anymore. That blows rear end :( Gonna make used ones even harder to find than they already are.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
AWD supermoto anyone?

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!

2ndclasscitizen posted:

AWD supermoto anyone?

I have always wondered who makes the bikes for Christini, does anyone know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It'd be interesting to see a real head-to-head on a AWD bike vs a RWD bike. Christini has some on youtube, but they appear to be mostly composed of "good rider on an AWD bike" vs "not as good rider on a RWD bike", which isnt exactly fair.

• Locked thread