Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
I like how it makes me sit properly, but the cushion has less padding in the back it seems, which means when I sit up straight, the bottom of the back of the chair digs into my back.

It's a shame, the quality of the chair is nice, but I just don't think it's a good mix with me. I plan on taking it back on Wednesday, but maybe I'll get used to it over the course of tonight/tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah the lumbar is in the wrong spot for you. You need a chair with adjustable lumbar/back height. You'll injure yourself before you get used to it.

I've posted this before, but here's a list of adjustments I think are essential in an office chair:

Seat height adjustment
Seat depth adjustment (seat slider)
Back height adjustment (adjusts the position of the lumbar)
Back angle adjustment
Seat angle adjustment (independent of the back angle)

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 28, 2012

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Thanks everyone. Much appreciated. I'm under pretty frequent chiropractor care and if he knew I was using a chair like this he'd probably kill me. I'll see what else they have on Wednesday.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

get out posted:

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated. I'm under pretty frequent chiropractor care and if he knew I was using a chair like this he'd probably kill me. I'll see what else they have on Wednesday.

Your chiropractor will eventually kill you anyway. Stop going to pretend doctors with no medical qualifications.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Your chiropractor will eventually kill you anyway. Stop going to pretend doctors with no medical qualifications.

Thank you, LeftistMuslimObama. Duly noted. :gb2fyad:

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Well as long as you don't let them touch your neck you're probably OK. Otherwise: prepare to bleed out into your body cavity, pass out, and die with little to no warning.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Found a local place that has 5 used Knoll Life chairs (high performance leather arms and leather seat cushion) for $500 that I'm going to check out tomorrow. Don't see the lumbar support in the pictures though. Is there a way to buy that separately or a good aftermarket product I can use?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

You should be able to fit 2 fingers in between your legs and the front of the seat, no more, no less.

gently caress, really? I can fit 2 fingers between my legs and the front of the seat... plus my entire other hand. :saddowns:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Splizwarf posted:

gently caress, really? I can fit 2 fingers between my legs and the front of the seat... plus my entire other hand. :saddowns:
Yeah, that puts a lot of pressure on your legs and cuts off your circulation. You need more seat depth.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah, that puts a lot of pressure on your legs and cuts off your circulation.

Nope, this would only be true if the chair was tall enough that my thighs were level with or above my knees. :suicide:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeahhh that's pretty bad too. Get a new chair.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

get out posted:

I don't think there is a single spot in NJ where I can go sit in an Aeron or a Leap to see if I even like it, so I'm going to go to the closest Office Depot and pick something out. Never been to one of them before, is any chair in the store worth buying?

A little late; but...

http://www.furnitureresellers.com/directions.html

I just ordered a Steelcase Leap from them. Literally walked into the location sat in one and they're prepping one for me to pick up Friday. They had lots of others models; but, I wanted a Leap specifically since we have them at work and I know they are comfortable for me.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Now recommend one in the Northeast VA area. Please. :ohdear:

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame

c355n4 posted:

A little late; but...

http://www.furnitureresellers.com/directions.html

I just ordered a Steelcase Leap from them. Literally walked into the location sat in one and they're prepping one for me to pick up Friday. They had lots of others models; but, I wanted a Leap specifically since we have them at work and I know they are comfortable for me.

Thanks for this, but it's still too far for a computer chair. I wish there was actually something in south jersey but I'm stuck using office depot chairs for now.

I took the chair back and got something else there. http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/246156/StyleWork-By-Thomasville-Vanarro-Bonded-Leather/

Not crazy about it but it was the only decent one in the store. Good lumbar support but I hope it softens up.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Got my Embody yesterday. I went with the Balance fabric because it was only $50 to upgrade to it.

It's really comfortable, really adjustable, and it 'moves' with you when you fidget or stretch. Sitting in normal chairs (even my Aeron at work) feels like sitting on a very rigid park bench in comparison.

My Aeron is still comfortable, but the Embody really beats it. poo poo is awesome.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I realized that in the course of the past several months, I've sat in several Steelcase chairs. Every single one of them aside from the actual task chairs are uncomfortable to sit in for more than five seconds. I don't know how they can make computer chairs that are tolerable to sit in, yet make everything else so uncomfortable.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Steelcase is really a company that sells paneling, desks, and other related furniture. The seating is more or less included as an afterthought in large bundle sales to keep other seating lines out, regardless of ergonomics.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
so I bought a Steelcase Uno last week
my package came in the mail today
I thought it was super heavy for being such a light chair
I opened it and it was a fully loaded Steelcase Leap :hawaaaafap:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Apparently HR is having a Kinnarps 9000 dropped in my office later this week. Any of you have any experience with those?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

titaniumone posted:

Got my Embody yesterday. I went with the Balance fabric because it was only $50 to upgrade to it.

It's really comfortable, really adjustable, and it 'moves' with you when you fidget or stretch. Sitting in normal chairs (even my Aeron at work) feels like sitting on a very rigid park bench in comparison.

My Aeron is still comfortable, but the Embody really beats it. poo poo is awesome.

arghhh

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011
So, I found an extremely cheap (sub $200) Aeron for sale on Craigslist. I'm totally cool snapping this up but am pretty new to the world of Aeron chairs. Are there any options I should look for? Any models to run away from? Any damage that I should look for?

I'd hate to spend money on this and then hate it because some widget is stuck and it'll cost me hundreds to fix it.

If I do get it and something is messed up, what kind of repair options exist?

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011
My chair's gas-lift thing (the handle you pull to cause the chair to raise up) keeps randomly sloooowly descending until eventually it bottoms out or I realize that I've sank five inches downwards and bring myself up again.

Is this just due to being past the reccomended weight for the chair or something (I swear I'm doing my best to lose weight! and this is a Fatass Chair specifically designed for fatasses and was $100 more than the non-fatass version) or is it a known issue that I can fix somehow? I didn't have this issue from day one, it's probably worth mentioning.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How old is the chair? I had one chair for a few years and eventually it just started sinking.

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

How old is the chair? I had one chair for a few years and eventually it just started sinking.

Got it a day or two after New Years 2011.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Lavender Philtrum posted:

Got it a day or two after New Years 2011.

Unless you are just really over the weight limit, we are talking crushing it, I would use that awesome warranty to get a replacement piston.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Speaking of that, mine started doing that once in a while a couple years ago; still not sure what triggers it, but it's happening more often, like maybe 2 or 3 times a week. I'm a huge guy but I've been the same weight for 12 years, and owned this chair... the whole time, actually, so it's the cylinder.

The company's probably long gone, but it was a classy office chair once; are there universal fitment gas cylinders or am I screwed on finding a replacement?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Splizwarf posted:

The company's probably long gone, but it was a classy office chair once; are there universal fitment gas cylinders or am I screwed on finding a replacement?
They generally are universal - none of the manufacturers make cylinders themselves, they all order them from a few overseas companies. But for a really old chair, it's hard to say if it'll work unless you measure the cylinder against others. Then there's the issue of who you order the cylinder from.

I'd check the brand of your chair, there's a possibility that the company is still active. If not, well, if the chair is that old, it's likely other things are breaking down in the chair. I'd look into a new one.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Weirdly enough, the rest of it is pristine; considering that I'm a big monster with problems accidentally breaking things, this chair's been amazing. I used to be an MMO nerd (and still a big RPG fan) so it's done some serious time. I'll see if I can find any documentation on it when I get home, but I don't remember seeing any identifying marks last time I tried. That's why I figured I was on my own for a replacement cylinder.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Check to see if there's some kind of a sticker on the underside of the seat.

Also: Just because the chair looks pristine doesn't mean it isn't breaking down. You can't see inside the chair's mechanism. My company had someone file a lawsuit when a customer's seat broke and they injured themselves on the cylinder as they fell through - but nothing came of it because the chair was 6 years out of warranty, and they bought it used anyway.

I'd say if your chair is 7-10+ years old, replace it because it's A) unsafe and B) there have been advances in chair quality and ergonomic research that means chairs today are better.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 6, 2012

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011
OK, I'm looking at the Leaps - I can get either the original or the Leap v2. Unfortunately no one has them in stock in my area, so I can't take either for a test drive.

Does anyone have a comparison between the v1 and the v2? Any preferences either way?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I posted earlier about needing a chair that was friendly for a 6'4" 250lb+ person, and people suggested a chair called the "Yao Ming".

I've been working with my company's HR department, and they'll reimburse me for a chair if I get a doctor's note, but only up to $331. Do you guys have any recommendations for a chair that would cost me that or less with shipping/taxes/etc, or at that point should I just go to Staples and just sit in every chair until I find one that isn't painful.

I'm equal parts long leg and torso, and I have fairly wide hips, so I need a chair with a longer lumbar support on the back, and a relatively deep and wide seat.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Can anyone recommend a good anti fatigue mat for use in an office setting? Just got a standing desk at work.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Chasiubao posted:

Can anyone recommend a good anti fatigue mat for use in an office setting? Just got a standing desk at work.

You might check out W&W's standing desk thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3346926

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
What's the recommended max height and weight for a Herman Miller Reaction? Google's not delivering for me on this one.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Kim Jong III posted:

You might check out W&W's standing desk thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3346926

Not much in there unfortunately :(

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I posted earlier about needing a chair that was friendly for a 6'4" 250lb+ person, and people suggested a chair called the "Yao Ming".

I've been working with my company's HR department, and they'll reimburse me for a chair if I get a doctor's note, but only up to $331. Do you guys have any recommendations for a chair that would cost me that or less with shipping/taxes/etc, or at that point should I just go to Staples and just sit in every chair until I find one that isn't painful.

I'm equal parts long leg and torso, and I have fairly wide hips, so I need a chair with a longer lumbar support on the back, and a relatively deep and wide seat.
$300 is how much they should be spending on their STANDARD chairs - ergonomic specialty chairs will not be anywhere that cheap. Maybe you should buy the chair and foot the difference yourself?

That said, if the PTYM is too expensive, you could get the PT78 and put a higher cylinder on it (6" cylinder). It's still going to be over $331, and it won't have as deep a seat as the PTYM, but it will be a lot better than whatever piece of crap you're sitting in now.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Rotten Red Rod posted:

$300 is how much they should be spending on their STANDARD chairs - ergonomic specialty chairs will not be anywhere that cheap. Maybe you should buy the chair and foot the difference yourself?

That said, if the PTYM is too expensive, you could get the PT78 and put a higher cylinder on it (6" cylinder). It's still going to be over $331, and it won't have as deep a seat as the PTYM, but it will be a lot better than whatever piece of crap you're sitting in now.

I'd love to foot the difference myself, but I can't afford to ATM and I need to get something that isn't making my back hurt 10 minutes into sitting down ASAP. I'm so stiff at the end of the day. I know I won't get the perfect chair on that budget, but I need to get as comfortable as I can so my back will stop aching nonstop. My hips even pop sometimes in the chair I'm in now because it's too narrow and it pushes me into weird positions.

I'm in the Madison area. Does anybody know if there's any liquidators in the area I might be able to track down a better chair at?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I'd love to foot the difference myself, but I can't afford to ATM and I need to get something that isn't making my back hurt 10 minutes into sitting down ASAP. I'm so stiff at the end of the day. I know I won't get the perfect chair on that budget, but I need to get as comfortable as I can so my back will stop aching nonstop. My hips even pop sometimes in the chair I'm in now because it's too narrow and it pushes me into weird positions.

I'm in the Madison area. Does anybody know if there's any liquidators in the area I might be able to track down a better chair at?

Don't know how things are in Madison, but in Seattle area there's a fair amount of traffic on Craiglist, liquidators and private sellers.

Steelcase Criterions seem to go for around $150, and I do see some big/tall models from time to time. Aerons/Mirras start at $300 around here and go up from there, so you should be able to find something decent at the $300 point that isn't a crappy office depot chair.

That said, those places usually do have some "big & tall" chairs, but like anything else, you're not really going to know how you feel unless you can you use itfor a bit.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Check out the previously mentioned http://www.nationalofficeliquidators.com/ if you can't find anything closer to you.

I just ordered a Leap V2 from them, and it'll be $399 with delivery. You're much closer to their Chicago center than I am, so delivery might be cheaper.

I don't know what chair would be best for a 6'4" dude but maybe you can find something decent there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Kim Jong III posted:

Check out the previously mentioned http://www.nationalofficeliquidators.com/ if you can't find anything closer to you.

I just ordered a Leap V2 from them, and it'll be $399 with delivery. You're much closer to their Chicago center than I am, so delivery might be cheaper.

I don't know what chair would be best for a 6'4" dude but maybe you can find something decent there?

Watch out, these guys sent me a Criterion that is missing the clip to hold the cylinder into the base. This means I have a ~200 lamp post sitting in my office.

http://imgur.com/a/O7Wov

Sent them an email and am waiting on a response. I have no idea what they are going to do.