Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Thrawn200 posted:

My wife is a pretty casual gamer who I'm fairly sure would love the Harvest Moon series. Which game should I start her out on? (I played it a lot on SNES but not much since then so I don't know how the 64 version and such compares) We do have a DS but not a 3DS.

If you have a DS "Phat", hunt down More Friends of Mineral Town for GBA, otherwise go with Tale of Two Towns. If she doesn't mind action/RPG elements, give her Rune Factory 3.

If you have a Wii, go with Magical Melody for Gamecube or Animal Parade for Wii. I am not sure what to suggest for PSP, perhaps Hero of Leaf Valley since that was the latest release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I Watson posted:

If you have a DS "Phat", hunt down More Friends of Mineral Town for GBA, otherwise go with Tale of Two Towns. If she doesn't mind action/RPG elements, give her Rune Factory 3.

If you have a Wii, go with Magical Melody for Gamecube or Animal Parade for Wii. I am not sure what to suggest for PSP, perhaps Hero of Leaf Valley since that was the latest release.

Seconding the GBA HM4: Friends of the Mineral Town. Even after all these years it still holds it's place in my heart. :3: I found my copy of it the other day, gave the GBA and all the other games away, but kept that.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I Watson posted:

Agreeing with the support of Animal Parade; it's by far the best of the console games I've played, excluding possibly HM64. It definitely has a lot of nice things that make the game more fun and easier/less frustrating.

Thrawn200
Dec 13, 2008

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin & Hobbes

anivasion posted:

Do you have anything else like a Wii or Ps3?

We have -
PCs (of course)
Nintendo DS (just a classic one with the GBA port also)
Wii
PS3
Xbox (NOT a 360, modded with NES/SNES/etc. emulators)

Looks like Animal Parade on Wii is probably the best bet? Or More Friends of Mineral Town for GBA as a second choice.

Thrawn200 fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 5, 2012

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

The White Dragon posted:

I don't think mature is the right word for it. It's just that its stories were largely grounded in reality rather than excessive farm fantasy or stereotypes. That, and even though the translation was kind of weird (not stilted--I actually rather liked it, and the script flows like real people talking, the mayor excepted) but definitely had a very fun zen platitude kinda thing going on.

All the games do these days is throw screaming anime in your face, and I fuckin' hate that.

Totally. I always thought it was kind of crazy how Cliff would show up with bruises on his face from Ann smacking him around. Too bad there's no domestic abuse hotline in Flower Bud Village.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Tender Child Loins posted:

Totally. I always thought it was kind of crazy how Cliff would show up with bruises on his face from Ann smacking him around. Too bad there's no domestic abuse hotline in Flower Bud Village.

Woah really? Ahahaha that's great. I only ever got Grey hooked up because I didn't like the other bachelors and decided they didn't deserve to be happy.

Regarding HM recs, I'd only ever played the original, 64, and A Wonderful Life before getting Rune Factory 3 off the recommendation of this thread. After the let-down that was AWL, RF3 was incredible. I played that poo poo for weeks and there's still tons of stuff left for me to do. The combat, monster, and dungeon aspects all felt perfectly fine to me, and you can just fight with your farm tools if you really hate the idea of Farmer Joe dual wielding short swords. It is a lot more anime both in aesthetic and character than the older games, but not gratingly so (except for Colette), and it is very relaxing should you choose to play it that way. I'd suggest it to any fan of Harvest Moon, even if they were like me and thought the whole Rune Factory spin was kinda ehh at first.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

The White Dragon posted:

If you could clear the part where you get all the girls to Yellow hearts before their photo event and a non-Karen girl to a Pink heart before your birthday, and then had the mental fortitude to replay half a week to get Karen's photo and then the half a week you had to replay to get the coin in the cake, then you have won the game.

You actually haven't won the game until you get the party picture. You get the party picture if you never ever gently caress up and become a super rancher extraordinaire.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I asked this at the ""What should I know before I play..." thread but I just realized that I should probably have asked here. :v:

I just started playing Rune Factory 3 and I haven't played a Harvest Moon game since the SNES version. Is there anything I should know? Tips? Does the game have a time limit?

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 5, 2012

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
I don't think there's a time limit, but some helpful tips:

Talk to everyone at least once a day. That's the best way to learn about events, what they like and hate, and so on. Once you hear an event mentioned (someone's birthday, a contest, etc) it gets marked on your calendar.

Keep failed foods and cans/boots that you fish up, at least a few of them. You'll thank me later once you learn what they're for.

Stock up on wood! Chop those stumps and sticks and put them into that wood storage shack. Upgrades for your farm will require lots of it.

Other than those things it's pretty basic. The game takes its time weaning you into some of the mechanics, like crafting and so on. I just wish I didn't toss that legendary can.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
When the time comes to catch your first monster, I'd like to nominate the elephant as a strong candidate of interest. He won't produce anything for you like the cows or the woolies, but he'll water your crops for you every day. I named mine Dumbo and he is the hardest worker :3:

And yeah, don't worry about time at all. There's no evaluation period or anything after a couple of years and none of the villagers are in danger of leaving, so feel free to set your own pace.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Looper posted:

feel free to set your own pace.

If you barrel through it and get married right away like I did in Rune Factory 2 you'll kick yourself.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Phuzzy posted:

If you barrel through it and get married right away like I did in Rune Factory 2 you'll kick yourself.

Well it was kind of important to do so in RF2, but that game stands out from the rest of the RF series in that regard.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
-Seeds can be planted in 9x9 grid if you hold down the button with a stack of 9 seeds equipped.
-You start off with teleport spell that lets you teleport back to your house or out of dungeons, it's very useful.
-Doing requests are a great way to get rare materials or better gear early in the game.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Wandering Knitter posted:

I think it's a tie between the sullen half-elf weapons girl, the death to all squids mermaid, and RAINBOWS!
Sofia supremacy :colbert:

Carmen and Raven are also acceptable.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lareine posted:

You actually haven't won the game until you get the party picture. You get the party picture if you never ever gently caress up and become a super rancher extraordinaire.

Actually, it's kind of easy to get it as long as you have some money. The hardest part is befriending something like 20+ villagers and getting all the girls to pink hearts. Unless I'm forgetting something, the parameters are like 4000+ total friendship points with the villagers, 1000+ love points with the girls, wife with happiness above 250, dog with happiness above 250, child with happiness above 250, like one animal with happiness about 250, 80% grass in the fields, and all the house extensions (maybe even barring the greenhouse).

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

U.T. Raptor posted:

Sofia supremacy :colbert:

Carmen and Raven are also acceptable.

I'm going to feel like a complete sack of poo poo when I get around to choosing one. I've been following my Persona 3/4 playstyle of getting everyone at max affection so now everyone thinks my dude's a total superstar and it's going to crush me when he breaks the hearts of all the others.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Killbot posted:

I'm going to feel like a complete sack of poo poo when I get around to choosing one. I've been following my Persona 3/4 playstyle of getting everyone at max affection so now everyone thinks my dude's a total superstar and it's going to crush me when he breaks the hearts of all the others.

If it makes you feel better, they never bring up how you've been stringing them along in some of the later requests, once you're married. It's like it never happened.

I was certainly relieved at that, I was not looking forward to living in a town full of scorned women.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Mar 6, 2012

Andenalli
Sep 17, 2007

I'm unique, just like
everyone else

Thrawn200 posted:

We have -
PCs (of course)
Nintendo DS (just a classic one with the GBA port also)
Wii
PS3
Xbox (NOT a 360, modded with NES/SNES/etc. emulators)

Looks like Animal Parade on Wii is probably the best bet? Or More Friends of Mineral Town for GBA as a second choice.

Go with Animal Parade. The only downside is that if she really likes it, there isn't much better than that one. But once she gets the idea of it, there is a whole world of HM and RF games to try out.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Sorry to keep bringing up HM64, but I'm playing it right now and having all of these "whoa" moments. Check out this dialogue! It's so... not anime.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Don't apologize for bringing up the best Harvest Moon game. poo poo's deep.

I remember that moment making me like Maria a whole lot more though. Seeing the unassuming shy girl go up to the one character that so completely represents the opposite of everything she believes in and telling him exactly what she thinks of him as best as a quiet little bookworm can just struck me as a kid. And then he throws her virtue in her face, but she doesn't falter and keeps trying. And it works! And the game is full of moments like this.

The snow on the ground adds more than I would have expected. I always saw this in the Spring or Summer for whatever reason.

Looper fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 7, 2012

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Thanks for the tips for Rune Factory 3! The game is very fun, it definitely scratches that HM itch I had.

What's the expected progression? I'm asking because it feels like if I wanted I could just till my whole field, plant turnips, cook them and be a millionarie in less than a month. Or raise everyone's levels (although now their requests tend to involve items I don't have access to). I remember staying awake in HM at night but now I just go to bed early unless I forgot to plant something. It's a very relaxing game and I like that but I can't help feeling like I'm playing it wrong or maybe I just think it's easy as I haven't tried to do the above things and maybe they are impossible.

Anyway, a question. What's the purpose of the Forge and Workshop? Can you buy better weapons/tools or the only way to get better tools is by upgrading/making them?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I... I never saw that scene. I never saw that character

I think I need to replay that game.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Dr Pepper posted:

I finally got my hands on the drat game. I've only played a little bit and I can tell the PSX really is a hollow shell of it.

That and I forgot how man drat buttons there are on an N64 controller. :argh:

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

gmq posted:

Anyway, a question. What's the purpose of the Forge and Workshop? Can you buy better weapons/tools or the only way to get better tools is by upgrading/making them?

You can buy good weapons as the game progresses, but you can't get the "uber" poo poo without crafting it yourself. It can be a pain in the rear end to level, but there is always a cheap option material-wise for every 10 points of skill to abuse, usually tool upgrades. I am one of those weirdos who finds satisfaction in crafting though, it is up to you if you want to work on it yourself.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

Funnily enough, that's exactly what I'm thinking right now.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Tender Child Loins posted:

Sorry to keep bringing up HM64, but I'm playing it right now and having all of these "whoa" moments. Check out this dialogue! It's so... not anime.

Well holy drat, never saw that myself. Bravo. And you just inspired me to do something.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Well holy drat, never saw that myself. Bravo. And you just inspired me to do something.

Grandma! :smith: even if I could never be bothered getting hearts with anyone else, I always bought grandma something.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Man after all these years the music that plays during Summer in HM64 still pops up in my head.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

I Watson posted:

You can buy good weapons as the game progresses, but you can't get the "uber" poo poo without crafting it yourself. It can be a pain in the rear end to level, but there is always a cheap option material-wise for every 10 points of skill to abuse, usually tool upgrades. I am one of those weirdos who finds satisfaction in crafting though, it is up to you if you want to work on it yourself.

If you're weird for loving crafting then I guess I am too. It's the only reason I wish the old Star Wars Galaxies was still around :smith:.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I craft stuff to sell, that helps.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

gmq posted:

What's the expected progression? I'm asking because it feels like if I wanted I could just till my whole field, plant turnips, cook them and be a millionarie in less than a month. Or raise everyone's levels (although now their requests tend to involve items I don't have access to). I remember staying awake in HM at night but now I just go to bed early unless I forgot to plant something.

I was finished with the four dungeons in the middle of Fall, but I was also keeping my guy up dungeon-crawling late into every night. You're right about the accumulation of money though. You'll find yourself with more cash than you could ever hope to spend very quickly, though I think Evelyn starts to sell a bunch of decorative money sinks like clothes or furniture for your house. And yeah the days are definitely more than long enough to get everything you want done.

As far as beating the dungeons goes, you can get through pretty easily with the specials from Gaius. As others have said though, the only way to get the really great gear (or better farm tools) is to make them yourself. OH and now that I think about it, one of the relatively early quest rewards from Raven is a necklace that boosts all the skill exp you gain. DON'T SELL IT because you won't be good enough to make your own for a really long time.

I accidentally killed Grandma Ellen once, never again. That was a sad day in Flowerbud Village. :smith:

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Apocadall posted:

If you're weird for loving crafting then I guess I am too. It's the only reason I wish the old Star Wars Galaxies was still around :smith:.

:smith::hf::smith:
I lament the 'good old days' of Ultima Online for the same reasons, drat those Artifacts they threw in! I was all excited for Final Fantasy XIV's crafting system but we all know how that went.

Gameplay videos for Land of Beginning have been popping up on Youtube, including the first 30 minutes of the game (with bonus absentminded Japanese commentary).

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Oooh, fellow crafting game nerd here. If you haven't heard of them, the Atelier series games are JRPG's where crafting is one of the major focuses of the game (the others being time management and character development). Atelier Rorona and Atelier Totori for PS3 *very* good games despiting having some creepy otaku pandering in parts. I've also played a bit of Atelier Annie for DS and Mana Khemia for PSP, which are also fun, and thankfully don't seem to have the creepy otaku pandering.

I love crafting in games so much. I nearly flipped my poo poo when I saw the skills menu in Rune Factory 1 for the first time...

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

Just farm the plants/flowers that are in season, and get upgrades when you're able to afford them. As for crafting, do it! It lets you make stuff that villagers love to receive as gifts. I went pretty deep into crafting myself, I thought it was great fun and now my dude runs around with some pretty badass stuff. Storage for materials can be an issue but you can expand your storage chest at some point in the game and Blaise will eventually sell you a fridge.

(And I also liked the Atelier games, if only because it was fun to watch the main character's expression of total exasperation at the craziness happening around her.)

hairytruman
Jun 9, 2009
I picked up the new Harvest Moon game for the 3DS (Land of the Origin) and am just about to enter Fall. Cool game, very slow pace but they have little missions that you have to complete to get more characters (build the hair Salon-->Get Aran to come to town, build the restaurant-->get the cook, sell 10 things of honey-->unlock third set of missions etc). I'm almost on the 3rd set of them, its a fun way to waste time. I entered the cooking competition, which has levels now (beginner, normal and advanced) but got destroyed. Guess my pudding wasn't at a high enough level :(

hairytruman fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Mar 8, 2012

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I can't avoid looking at guides about recipes, requests and stuff for RF3. I suck. It's the easiest game ever and even then I can't stop thinking that I must do everything right the first time. :smith:

PS: I just started Friends of Mineral Town too and the amount of hand holding that RF3 has is mindblowing compared to it (it's like three generations older though). FoMT just throws you in your farm and tells you to get things from the mountain to sell or die and nothing else.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 11, 2012

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010

gmq posted:

I can't avoid looking at guides about recipes, requests and stuff for RF3. I suck. It's the easiest game ever and even then I can't stop thinking that I must do everything right the first time. :smith:

PS: I just started Friends of Mineral Town too and the amount of hand holding that RF3 has is mindblowing compared to it (it's like three generations older though). FoMT just throws you in your farm and tells you to get things from the mountain to sell or die and nothing else.

I feel vaguely dirty for picking up my old cart of MFoMT and then going back to ToTT the next day. I'm so sorry I just wanted something easy to play to relax after work :(

(this is especially funny after I have been advocating Shepherd's Crossing)

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
All of this RF3 talk has gotten me to start playing it again. Man, I love that game.

...Except for that GOD drat PIECE OF poo poo BEAN FESTIVAL :argh:

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Wandering Knitter posted:

All of this RF3 talk has gotten me to start playing it again. Man, I love that game.
...Except for that GOD drat PIECE OF poo poo BEAN FESTIVAL :argh:

trip report: RAINBOW is turning out to be a more festive and less creepy choice than any of the other ladies, even if she confuses the gently caress out of the protag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
It helps that she's actually an adult. I think that definitely solidifies her as my choice though. Sorry Sofia and Pia. :smith:

• Locked thread