Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
It seems like they're using it as a way of both gauging interest in a return, and trying to establish a price point for future podcast sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sluttering
Apr 27, 2006

how to eat your own flesh and not freak out.
wanted to chime in here with a recommendation.

i've recently been listening to the fustercluck (itunes). i just kind of started delving into the world of comedy podcasts that don't involve interviews with comedians, and i think these guys are really funny.

essentially it's three dudes who drink and swap stories and banter about just about any topic that comes to mind. it's surprisingly well-organized for unscripted comedy. to quote one of their itunes reviews:

quote:

top notch convo comedy. it's like hanging out with the funniest guys at a party, knocking back a few bevs, and sharing your best/most personal stories. there's no down time, no preachiness, no pompous egos and no limits.

not sure about the ego thing, but definitely worth a listen.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I can't speak to fustercluck, but the funniest thing I've seen on itunes in a bit is mistyping it as 'flustercluck', finding just one match, a podcast called Flustercluck! with the dorkiest thumbnail ever, with one episode from last year, with one one star review reading simply "Garbage! Phooey!".

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
Here's something I've been noticing recently... Seems like most of the comedy podcasts I listen to come from the Los Angeles area, which is odd, because everyone's always talking about how much better the standup scene is in New York rather than LA, but LA has the opportunity for TV shows and commercials and movies, so everyone lives there.

Julie Klausner does "How Was Your Week?" out of NYC, but scrolling through my list of subscriptions I don't see any others. And how about Chicago? There's the AV Club podcast, but for all the talk of Second City and the improv scene there, it seems like there ought to be a comedy podcast from there.

It's entirely possible that I'm just missing lots of great stuff, so I'd love to hear if there's anything from these cities (or San Francisco, or Toronto, or wherever). I know a lot of the interview material involves traveling standups from all over the country. For instance, Memphis has no comedy scene to speak of, so nobody comes here. But three hours east, Nashville gets a lot of great acts, so there's potential for a Nashville-based podcast. Hell, what about Vegas?

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Vancouver -> Stop Podcasting Yourself would be the podcast of record. They get a few Canadian acts from all over.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
Mike and Tom Eat Snacks is out of New York, but they don't do guests at all, so I guess that doesn't really fit the bill.

Gooch
Oct 30, 2006

Bob Kelly's "You know what dude". He Is a New York comic doing his podcast outta his manhatten apartment. This is probably my favorite podcast at the moment. I have been thinking of starting its own thread. Bob started comedy with Dane Cook. I am not a fan of cook,And I have never even seen Kelly do a stand up set so I don't know if I wouild like his stand up comedy. Alls I know is his podcast is hilarious.

http://riotcast.com/robertkelly/index.php

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!
:siren: Brand new You Look Nice Today just dropped :siren:

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

HateTheInternet posted:

The best news ever.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Isn't Totally Laime out of New York?

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

FitFortDanga posted:

Isn't Totally Laime out of New York?
Did they move? The couple episodes I listened to after the Earwolf Challenge were definitely in LA.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

HateTheInternet posted:

Why isn't every post in this thread about this fact?

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
You Had To Be There is (mostly) out of New York

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

HateTheInternet posted:

SQUEEEEEAL

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
What's You Look Nice Today about?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

jyrka posted:

How nice you look. Specifically today.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

It is like all my Christmases have come at once!

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

jyrka posted:

About an hour of pure joy.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Just some random trivia, but I just looked on Itunes and Paul F. Tompkins is on 184 currently available podcasts. The man is a machine.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

benito posted:

Here's something I've been noticing recently... Seems like most of the comedy podcasts I listen to come from the Los Angeles area, which is odd, because everyone's always talking about how much better the standup scene is in New York rather than LA, but LA has the opportunity for TV shows and commercials and movies, so everyone lives there.
In New York there's poo poo to do at all times while in LA the general vibe is a lot more relaxed. Part of it's to do with how sprawling and big LA is. In New York you've got the chance to be up and performing multiple times every night of the week in different clubs or venues, can take a train/bus/cab to any of hundreds of amazing bars/restaurants quickly and conveniently, you can be in Long Island/North Jersey/Boston/Philly/DC in a couple hours via car or train to do even more sets and see new clubs and crowds, and so there's generally less downtime for people or anyone they'd have as guests to be on their shows. In New York it's a lot more convenient to meet at a club or bar if you want to see your friends than meet up at someone's small apartment where any more than 3 people will feel cramped. NY comedians joke on podcasts this time of year (pilot season) pretty often about how they're going out to LA for podcast season and everyone is asking them to do podcasts instead of just hanging out or catching up or doing sets. It's just a completely different culture.

e: Nerdist has the best podcast brand going. The title show is hit or miss (mostly miss except for hostfuls I feel, the guys just aren't great interviewers) but the Todd Glass Show, Indoor Kids, You Made It Weird, and most recently The JV Club are all very entertaining shows. They have you covered pretty much every day of the week.

indigi fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Mar 10, 2012

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Just some random trivia, but I just looked on Itunes and Paul F. Tompkins is on 184 currently available podcasts. The man is a machine.

I'm sure this has come up in this thread before, but: http://trackpft.com/

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em

GraPar posted:

I'm sure this has come up in this thread before, but: http://trackpft.com/
That's great, you're great.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Now we just need a podcast feed of PFT guest appearances I could subscribe to.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

wafflesnsegways posted:

Now we just need a podcast feed of PFT guest appearances I could subscribe to.

It's kind of weird someone took the time to put together that website, but then didn't include links to the content and an RSS feed.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

NotWearingPants posted:

It's kind of weird someone took the time to put together that website, but then didn't include links to the content and an RSS feed.

It's just a list copied off a publicly edited google documents spreadsheet. The person running it probably didn't spend that much time on it. PFT is great though.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

jyrka posted:

Editing.

I need to listen to it again, haven't paid attention to it in ages, but that was my impression.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

New Lou Reads the Internet for YOU! is up.

Episode 88 - Lou Reads All About the Sucky World of Real Vampires

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

King Lou posted:

New Lou Reads the Internet for YOU! is up.

Episode 88 - Lou Reads All About the Sucky World of Real Vampires

Goddamn Lou, do you do much editing when you read these, cause I don't know how I could read these posts without cracking the hell up.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

I edit the gently caress out of them because I'm often reading most of the threads for the 1st time as i record them. So I'm constantly loving up. All the terrible writing plus laughing make the whole process so long!

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I wanna throw out a recommendation for Throwing Shade, the new MaxFun podcast, with Erin Gibson and Bryan Safi. Erin is a lady, Bryan is a gay, and the podcast deals with issues that relate to ladies and gays. Not only is it extremely funny (Bryan is a very quick wit, and Erin is a great straight-man) but it's also surprisingly deep and smart, which I attribute to the general hostile atmosphere towards ladies and gays that has been hanging in the air this election season.

I think I knew I loved it with the last episode, in which Bryan Safi became the only person in any media outlet, serious or otherwise, to actually point out some of the hypocrisy of the Invisible Children anti-Kony group. Funny and smart poo poo.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

quadrophrenic posted:

I wanna throw out a recommendation for Throwing Shade, the new MaxFun podcast, with Erin Gibson and Bryan Safi. Erin is a lady, Bryan is a gay, and the podcast deals with issues that relate to ladies and gays. Not only is it extremely funny (Bryan is a very quick wit, and Erin is a great straight-man) but it's also surprisingly deep and smart, which I attribute to the general hostile atmosphere towards ladies and gays that has been hanging in the air this election season.

I think I knew I loved it with the last episode, in which Bryan Safi became the only person in any media outlet, serious or otherwise, to actually point out some of the hypocrisy of the Invisible Children anti-Kony group. Funny and smart poo poo.

Gonna agree with this, never heard of it before the Maxfun thing, but I'm in love with this stuff.

Bryan's raw disgust and outrage when the tampon toxic shock story happened, and in the show after it, was just so hilarious, as was their exposure on 'butt chugging' and skunk harassment. But yea, even without their hilarious jokes, they're two very well informed, witty, people and a delight to listen to.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Greg Proops impersonation of chlamydia-suffering Al Capone on Alcatraz is hilarious.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

quadrophrenic posted:

My friend just got me and another friend into this a week or two ago and he's finished and I'm halfway caught up to the current episodes.
I'm so far behind because I can't listen to it on the subway, I look like a lunatic, laughing to myself every couple of minutes.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Throwing Shade is awesome. :swoon: Erin Gibson :swoon: is hilarious, I've been a casual fan for a couple years now and she regularly delivers the funny. Her appearance on the Totally Laime podcast is pretty intense, too.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
A new Dead Author's Podcast went up, with Brian Stack as P.G. Wodehouse.

Doubt it'll be as good as the Sagan one, but hey more free PFT.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
He was posting on facebook how he had Matt Walsh as J. R. R. Tolkien. I was hoping he'd post that. :( :(

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

Greg Proops impersonation of chlamydia-suffering Al Capone on Alcatraz is hilarious.

I just listened to this earlier and cracked up out loud while walking around in public. God I love Greg Proops.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

j8910 posted:

He was posting on facebook how he had Matt Walsh as J. R. R. Tolkien. I was hoping he'd post that. :( :(

Yeah seriously, I keep refreshing the feed waiting for that one :(

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Oh my God. The Tim Tebow episode of improv4humans is one of the funniest podcasts I've ever heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
So it looks like Odenkirk is going to release a podcast on Earwolf called "Mr. Blow", focusing on Mr. Show and with guests involved with the show:

AST Forums posted:

In a recent "Ask Me Anything" (AMA) thread on the site Reddit, Bob Odenkirk revealed that he has recorded the first episode of a Mr. Show-themed podcast for the Earwolf podcasting network. From the chat:

... I worked with Scott Aukerman on his "Comedy Bang Bang" show to premiere soon on IFC AND on a demo animated show for Comedy Central called "Think Tank". I also recorded a friggin'...here it comes...he's gonna say it...I just know he's gonna say it...loving PODCAST. Yes...I broke down and recorded a podcast. Called, of all things, "MR. BLOW". It will feature people who appeared on, wrote for, or were in the LIVE AUDIENCE, of Mr. Show. It will be on the EARWOLF site, and we will do it...whenever we feel like it. The first episode features Jay, Me, David, Scott, Dave Rath (audience member), and Jill Talley. I know...it's so great.

We will be sure to keep you informed when the first episode drops on Earwolf's site.

• Locked thread