Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Jut posted:

The episode was doing great until they decided to repeat the Brutus section from one of their DVD's. 2 eps in a row with recycled footage.

Not all of us have seen the DVDs. I was thrilled to see the Brutus.

Besides, there's seven episodes this season instead of six, so if a byproduct of that is a couple of recycled parts, I'm perfectly fine with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Got to save money somewhere. Blame the Tories. :argh:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

mod sassinator posted:

Ah that must be where I remembered it from. The budget must really be tight this year--this is the second somewhat recycled bit. :(

Its not the first time they have recycled stuff from Clarkson's movies/life. I mean his movies feature a ton of the same super cars that he tests on the show although sometimes there are inconsistencies in some of his reviews. Some would be surprised to learn that Clarkson has been to the Makgadikgadi Pan before the show with his family on ATV's. Apparently his daughter found a Diamond out there.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/jeremy-clarkson/clarkson-on-quad-bikes-2006-11-01

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

CornHolio posted:

Not all of us have seen the DVDs. I was thrilled to see the Brutus.

Besides, there's seven episodes this season instead of six, so if a byproduct of that is a couple of recycled parts, I'm perfectly fine with that.

I agree. I haven't seen the latest Clarkson special, and i don't think you can get the DVDs of it in Australia. I just love the backfire Brutus does with each gear change

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Preoptopus posted:

Its not the first time they have recycled stuff from Clarkson's movies/life. I mean his movies feature a ton of the same super cars that he tests on the show although sometimes there are inconsistencies in some of his reviews.

Something that is close to me, being an owner of a small Fiat is that he absolutely gushed over the Panda in his newspaper review but has been 'meh' at best about it on Top Gear.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

KozmoNaut posted:

Something that is close to me, being an owner of a small Fiat is that he absolutely gushed over the Panda in his newspaper review but has been 'meh' at best about it on Top Gear.
Just because James has one and any car owned by another presenter must be mocked on air, I'd guess.

I'm surprised they haven't brought back the Cool Wall to save money for a segment, actually.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Payndz posted:

I'm surprised they haven't brought back the Cool Wall to save money for a segment, actually.

Me too, but don't they usually do it late in the series? That's been my impression.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

What was the music playing during Clarkson and May's donut attempts?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

angryhampster posted:

What was the music playing during Clarkson and May's donut attempts?

Chemical Brothers - Escape 700, from the Hannah soundtrack.

Great episode this week, was laughing through quite a bit of it.

G-Dub
Dec 28, 2004

The Gonz
Hammond is a wank again for his hard on with certain manufacturers. If it isn't Porsche it's Morgan.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

G-Dub posted:

Hammond is a wank again for his hard on with certain manufacturers. If it isn't Porsche it's Morgan.
The important difference being that the Morgan 3-wheeler is really cool.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

G-Dub posted:

He's no worse than Clarkson.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Clarkson has a little more variety though, Ferrari, Aston Martin, Range Rover, and in most cases Mercedes.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Damnit Clarkson maybe I do actually want to hear James talk about airplanes. Would have been better than another celebrity with an expensive designer bad hair day talk about his latest movie or whatever it was I just skipped over.

I also really want one of those Morgans, I don't care how impractical it is.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

2ndclasscitizen posted:

And no worse than any Audi/BMW/[insert manufacturer here] fanboy.

E30 E30 E30 E30 E30

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Damnit Clarkson maybe I do actually want to hear James talk about airplanes. Would have been better than another celebrity with an expensive designer bad hair day talk about his latest movie or whatever it was I just skipped over cheese.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I had seen various Guardian commentators ridiculing Alex James for this cheese and didn't know anything about him other than he was in that band. He came across as a really cool guy and between the Cessna touring and the Mexico birthday party, I'll be checking out his book.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Damnit Clarkson maybe I do actually want to hear James talk about airplanes.
If James ever had a show of his own where he could just talk about planes or drivetrains or pushrod suspension or whatever without Clarkson interrupting him all the time with his irritating willful-ignorance-skit I'd be all over that. I saw his U-2 special the other day and it was loving brilliant.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I thought he already had a show like that, or was that only for toys?

(In that case I'd consider planes and cars to be toys too :colbert:)

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Ola posted:

I had seen various Guardian commentators ridiculing Alex James for this cheese and didn't know anything about him other than he was in that band. He came across as a really cool guy and between the Cessna touring and the Mexico birthday party, I'll be checking out his book.
I've eaten Alex James' cheese, it's nice. He's still a bit of a bellend though. Why?

That's why. Also the festival he helped run, and where that photo was taken, screwed a local primary school out of 7000.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Top Gears Facebook feed has just informed me there's a faster Veyron coming out called the "Bugatti Veyron GS Vitesse". This is getting silly. Some French bloke going "We've managed to give it five more horsepower, I call it The Bugatti Veyron GS Vitesse Ultrasport HD+".

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

jojoinnit posted:

Top Gears Facebook feed has just informed me there's a faster Veyron coming out called the "Bugatti Veyron GS Vitesse". This is getting silly. Some French bloke going "We've managed to give it five more horsepower, I call it The Bugatti Veyron GS Vitesse Ultrasport HD+".

It's just the topless version of the Supersport. Nothing actually new, just two existing variants combined. At least it's not the last, last, last, last, we swear it's the last one really Zonda.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Ola posted:

Yes but blur are shite.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

I've eaten Alex James' cheese, it's nice. He's still a bit of a bellend though. Why?

That's why. Also the festival he helped run, and where that photo was taken, screwed a local primary school out of 7000.

Haha when I've seen that picture I thought it was Brian Cox who had his back to the camera. Also, bloody hell, fair enough that Nick Clegg is smaller than Cameron but carrying him around like that is very patronizing.

Understeer
Sep 14, 2004

Now with more front end grip.
Can anyone explain the ITV jab during the SIARPC lap?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Understeer posted:

Can anyone explain the ITV jab during the SIARPC lap?
ITV are a commercial station, and have a history of editing things for length to fit their schedule and advert breaks.

I once watched Die Hard With A Vengeance on ITV, and they cut out the entire conversation in the police van where you find out about the dump trucks, the police-badge-lottery-number etc.

G-Dub
Dec 28, 2004

The Gonz

Ola posted:

Haha when I've seen that picture I thought it was Brian Cox who had his back to the camera. Also, bloody hell, fair enough that Nick Clegg is smaller than Cameron but carrying him around like that is very patronizing.

I told someone he was Brian Cox recently, during The Brits I think. Oops.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I'm honestly enjoying how Top Gear US does a lot more crazy challenges. This one is awesome.

One thing, though: I swear every season they have to load livestock (or some other farm stuff like, say, manure) into cars not meant for them and transport them. Other countries, we do more than this in America, I swear!

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Philip J Fry posted:

This one?

(from the TV/IV thread)

You son of a bitch.

(Audi-censored the best bit! :argh:)

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Another extremely entertaining episode of TGUS. Anyone not watching is missing out. There wasn't even a SIARPC, just 42 minutes of hilarity.

Wonker
Apr 30, 2005

InitialDave posted:

ITV are a commercial station, and have a history of editing things for length to fit their schedule and advert breaks.

I once watched Die Hard With A Vengeance on ITV, and they cut out the entire conversation in the police van where you find out about the dump trucks, the police-badge-lottery-number etc.

More specifically, ITV cut off Adele's award reception speech at the Brits a couple of weeks ago so that Blur could start playing at the end.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

And then they cut off half of Blur's performance to show... something. I know it went on an another channel but I don't know who watched that after that awful awful performance of 'Song 2' (Although 'Tender' was great).

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Left Ventricle posted:

You son of a bitch.

(Audi-censored the best bit! :argh:)

Before watching : WTF, Audi?

After : Ahhhhh clever!

Really good episode, understated but very good.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

opengl128 posted:

Another extremely entertaining episode of TGUS. Anyone not watching is missing out. There wasn't even a SIARPC, just 42 minutes of hilarity.

It really was an outstanding episode; great scenery, fun challenges, and only a couple bits that were stupid. I loved the livestock challenge.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I loved it when they talked about "fjording" the lake.

Those guys have no idea what those words on the cue cards mean.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Data Graham posted:

I loved it when they talked about "fjording" the lake.

Those guys have no idea what those words on the cue cards mean.
If nothing else "fjord" will always remind me of Knight Boat.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Fjords always make me think of Slartibartfast.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Tsuru posted:

If James ever had a show of his own where he could just talk about planes or drivetrains or pushrod suspension or whatever without Clarkson interrupting him all the time with his irritating willful-ignorance-skit I'd be all over that. I saw his U-2 special the other day and it was loving brilliant.

James May On The Moon? That was one of my favourite shows, EVER.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Anyone else notice during the seat removal race that the vans magically gained their off-road equipment, then lost it again, about three times? Obviously they do a few takes beyond the actual race to get a lot of the the intermediary shots, but you'd think they'd do it before making major visual changes to the vehicles.

Other than that and a few other editing/consistency quirks though, one of the best TGUS episodes yet, almost comparable to the Alaska adventure.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah, TGUS seems to be following in the original's footsteps wrt finding its legs after the first couple seasons.