Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.

Pretentious Turtle posted:

Add springs. You'll have to set it up again though.

I went to the local store and asked for some tremolo springs for my Ibanez RG1570. He wasn't sure if they were a standard type or whatever so I bought these. Apparently, they seem a little smaller than the ones already on the guitar, but would that be a problem? And where could I get real ones(in Denmark)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Rotten Punk posted:

Does anyone know where I can find orange knobs, pickup covers, and switch tips for a strat? It's all I need to make a mystery machine themed guitar, but I can't find orange stuff anywhere.

Sadly I'm not aware of anyone who makes orange pickup covers. DiMarzio don't even offer orange in their range of colour choices. I've seen a few people ask for orange, the closest they've come has been to use orange bobbin topper stickers. Your best bet is to get a set of white covers and rough them up a bit with some sand paper, then paint them yourself.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
No, not paint. Dye. White covers, soak 'em in dye. Maybe an art or hobby shop would know the right one. Rit, maybe?

Rotten Punk
Nov 11, 2009

Thanks. I guess I'll pick up a white set and learn how to dye them.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
etguitars appears to have some orange knobs and switch tip.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I'm using the rocksmith cable to run my guitar through my laptop, but want to output through something other than headphones. I've got a 4x12 Marshall cabinet which would be ideal but I need some sort of preamp to power it, anybody have a cheap recommendation?

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
Not sure if this is the right thread for this but:

I had an old flute in my closet. It has the word "ARTIST" engraved on the body, looks like some old worn sterling silver or nickel in color. I can't find anything on Google other than the Sankyo Artist model, which I am hesitant to believe this flute is.

http://i.imgur.com/twrOb.jpg

Can anyone here help identify this for me? I'm going to take it to a local musician store tomorrow, just wondering if there was anything else I could do.

I can link or send more pictures as necessary.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Teeter posted:

I'm using the rocksmith cable to run my guitar through my laptop, but want to output through something other than headphones. I've got a 4x12 Marshall cabinet which would be ideal but I need some sort of preamp to power it, anybody have a cheap recommendation?

Does cleanliness of the outputted sound matter? Get a smokey amp or a MXR microamp if not really.

Power_13
Jan 10, 2007

mama mia!
I'm thinking about using two microphones for recording. I can experiment with positioning fairly easily, but am I best off using two of the same model, or has anyone got good results from using two different models?

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Power_13 posted:

I'm thinking about using two microphones for recording. I can experiment with positioning fairly easily, but am I best off using two of the same model, or has anyone got good results from using two different models?

If you buy an SM57 and a good condenser you'll be set for a long time and have your bases covered. Usually using two of the same mic are only applied to in stereo recording situations, like if you want to capture the total sound of a drum kit or field recording.

Power_13
Jan 10, 2007

mama mia!

Noise Machine posted:

If you buy an SM57 and a good condenser you'll be set for a long time and have your bases covered.

Thanks :) I have an SM57 somewhere, I'll have a look around for it and see what I can do.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Getting a lot of buzzing when there's no signal coming through my monitors. I can hear my trackpad, hard drive etc and it's giving me a lot of the shits.

My setup :

macbook pro > Safire 24 (firewire) > TRS Cables > BX5A Deluxe monitors.

The speakers are currently sitting on the desk (yes I know) with the macbook sitting in front by 10 - 15cm. I've been told by some dude in some IRC channel that something called a Ground Loop Isolator is likely to solve the issue. I'm not sure how this would work, as they all seem to be for 3.55mm cables. Am I missing something here? Could the issue actually be with lovely cables from the Saffire > Monitors? They were just cables I had lying around, but weren't lovely and old or anything.

edit: seems to have ceased, must've been something to do with the power connection here. Weird.

well why not fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 26, 2012

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Is there a good resource for drum transcriptions/lessons? I'm not really looking for full songs, just generic parts to help me program a drum machine. I am terrible with drum stuff and real time programming does not turn out well, but I can handle step programming.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

DrChu posted:

Is there a good resource for drum transcriptions/lessons? I'm not really looking for full songs, just generic parts to help me program a drum machine. I am terrible with drum stuff and real time programming does not turn out well, but I can handle step programming.

Youtube has a million drum lessons, might be a good place to start. Loop packs (from somewhere like http://www.freeloops.com/ ) might help as well, they will give you lots of short rhythms and patterns to help you get a grip on beats. If you have a DAW like garageband or something there might already be a ton of loops preloaded for you to mess with.

Another option is drum tab, if you have Guitar Pro or Powertab then you can download tabs to songs you like and, when opened with the correct program, they will let you hear how the track is played while also giving you a visual guide. This gives you a chance to find songs with beats you are familiar with and see how they are constructed, then you can transcribe them into your drum machine.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

DrChu posted:

Haha, I almost gave up looking for this when I finally found it
http://thewombforums.com/showthread.php?t=80&highlight=drum+programming

Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but it's a great tutorial about the process of building up drum tracks, developing them for different parts of the song and making them sound natural

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Where can I get Bee Gees sheet music that has all the different voices instead of just the lead? I'm looking for Nights on Broadway specifically and I haven't been able to dig it up.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
I'm not sure where to put this, but I'll start here: I've been trying to start a surf punk band for years, but I can never find anyone to play with (a drummer least of all). Then last night I had an idea. I used to make demos for songs by plugging a kick and snare sound I recorded at home into Fruity Loops, then recording guitar over it. I think you can still listen to some of them on my old Myspace page . The drums sound like crap, but they were just demos. But my idea was to do it right, and make a backing track for myself of drums and bass. I could then play guitar over it, live. The problem is, although I know people play electronic music with their laptops live, I have little or no idea how they do it. So here's what I'm looking at, and correct me if I'm wrong:

Buy one decent mic and record drum sounds.
Put these sounds into a digital drum machine (probably free on the internet?)
Record bass over the drums with Audacity.
Mix it down to a single WAV and have a way to play it back easily.
Maybe buy some sort of adapter to link my computer to the PA?

I think the easiest way to play the track would be using something like Back To Basics, a sample program designed for live shows, which lets you load multiple WAVs at once and trigger any and all of them with a single keystroke. I guess this turned into a kinda complicated question, but basically I'm wondering if I'm crazy or if this is workable. And if it is workable, what should I get for a mic and some sort of interface?

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

It's workable, but you're much better off saving up for a good bank of drum samples or drum VST. Micing drums is a weird thing, in that one mic can't do ALL the work, a good drum sound comes from a combination of a lot of mics, a good drum set, a good drum, and also the room you're recording them in. I don't mean to reduce the answer to "Garbage in, garbage out" but if you end up recording an untuned kit with a 57 in an untreated room, it's probably not going to sound great if you play it back thru a "professional" PA system.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

Noise Machine posted:

It's workable, but you're much better off saving up for a good bank of drum samples or drum VST. Micing drums is a weird thing, in that one mic can't do ALL the work, a good drum sound comes from a combination of a lot of mics, a good drum set, a good drum, and also the room you're recording them in. I don't mean to reduce the answer to "Garbage in, garbage out" but if you end up recording an untuned kit with a 57 in an untreated room, it's probably not going to sound great if you play it back thru a "professional" PA system.

Yeah, I was basically thinking "garbage in, garbage out", which is why I mentioned buying a decent mic. I know they make stuff like EZDrummer which looks like it sounds great for relatively cheap, but 1) I wouldn't know how to program songs with it and 2) I'm not sure if they'd have the beats I was looking for? Or can you program your own beats with stuff like that? Like I said, I'm totally not into electronic music at all, so it's all a bit foreign to me.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Boz0r posted:

Where can I get Bee Gees sheet music that has all the different voices instead of just the lead? I'm looking for Nights on Broadway specifically and I haven't been able to dig it up.

IMP's 'Off The Record' series has detailed transcriptions corresponding to actual recordings. Might be worth contacting them even if you don't see it advertised; old stock may still exist.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Brettbot posted:

Yeah, I was basically thinking "garbage in, garbage out", which is why I mentioned buying a decent mic. I know they make stuff like EZDrummer which looks like it sounds great for relatively cheap, but 1) I wouldn't know how to program songs with it and 2) I'm not sure if they'd have the beats I was looking for? Or can you program your own beats with stuff like that? Like I said, I'm totally not into electronic music at all, so it's all a bit foreign to me.

There are basically two approaches here - write your own drum sequences from scratch, or use some ready-made drum loops, which are basically the beats you're talking about (chunks of live or sequenced drumming action).

Sequencing involves making patterns of drum hits - usually you get a grid broken down into 16th notes (you're not bound to this though) and you place hits for each drum, like a kick drum every beat, hi-hat on the 8th notes, and you can set the velocity for each - how hard they're hit basically. Usually you'll make pattern blocks and then chain them in a sequence, so you're not just writing the same thing over and over.

How this is turned into sound depends on what you're using to sequence it, if you're using a plain MIDI roll in a DAW you'd send it to some kind of plugin like a VST instrument to make the sound, other programs have you sequence the drums inside them and handle the noises themselves. Either way, you usually either have complete kits with a package of sounds, or you set individual samples yourself

Here's someone's handy list of drum software!
https://docs.google.com/View?docID=dfdrp6zd_12fdz9x32d&revision=_latest&hgd=1
Most of them are VST which means they're a plugin for a DAW like Reaper, LeafDrums is standalone and that works for the basics, nice and easy to use

There are free kits out there too so you can get different sounds, like these guys:
http://plutoniclab.com/pl/?page_id=13
http://www.analoguedrums.com/details-bm.php

This is a great tutorial on how you actually sequence natural-sounding drums
http://thewombforums.com/showthread.php?t=80&highlight=drum+programming

There are probably some great go-to loops packs but this guy's stuff and his video will give you the general idea of working that way
http://www.twotrackmusic.com/forums/index.php?topic=4142.0
You can get better quality recordings and make the joins smooth and inaudible but you get the idea

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

baka kaba posted:

(A ton of good stuff)

Thanks for those links. It seems that all I'm really after are some realistic-sounding drum samples and something like Fruity Loops to arrange them in. Maybe even FL itself, since the "Demo" is the whole program, you just can't save sessions for later. I mean, theoretically I'd like to get an electronic drumkit and actually play the song, but I'll take "free and now" instead of "a couple hundred bucks and get better at drums". Maybe some day if I ever start playing out it would actually be worth it.
What about playing this stuff back through a PA, though? Does it just totally depend on the venue? Would it be wiser to not run it off my laptop, but use some sort of specialized sampler interface thing instead?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah you can get packs of individual drum hits (different drums, multiple samples for each and hit with different forces) and sequence them all yourself. The full 'kits' that you'd load into things like Battery or Kontakt basically handle a lot of the nuance, you sequence the pattern of hits and velocities and the plugin itself decides what samples to play - plus you can usually tweak some 'humanise' setting that adds some variation to timing and velocity, so you don't have to manually put all that into your patterns

Someone who's done this might tell you why laptops are good (you'd have more control at least), but I've seen people play to CDs by putting the CD player on a stool, making it part of the performance instead of something in the background. Are you thinking of improvising or just writing a song and performing it as-is?

This might be worth looking at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaXLbwNtu2E

AngryApple
May 4, 2010

Master Stur posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread for this but:

I had an old flute in my closet. It has the word "ARTIST" engraved on the body, looks like some old worn sterling silver or nickel in color. I can't find anything on Google other than the Sankyo Artist model, which I am hesitant to believe this flute is.

http://i.imgur.com/twrOb.jpg

Can anyone here help identify this for me? I'm going to take it to a local musician store tomorrow, just wondering if there was anything else I could do.

I can link or send more pictures as necessary.

I don't believe it is the the Sankyo model either. Jupiter had a line of "Artist" flutes, too, but they were also of the high end variety. Do you see any serial numbers on it that could clue you in? For example, Yamaha's start with YFL usually.

I'm trying to think of a brand that produced "Artist" flutes with an offset G, Y arms, and a C foot. Unfortunately, I'm drawing a blank.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

baka kaba posted:

Someone who's done this might tell you why laptops are good (you'd have more control at least), but I've seen people play to CDs by putting the CD player on a stool, making it part of the performance instead of something in the background. Are you thinking of improvising or just writing a song and performing it as-is?

This might be worth looking at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaXLbwNtu2E

Well, yeah, I guess I was thinking that I'd have the laptop set up on a table or whatever at the front/side of the stage. Walk up to it, hit 1, first song starts playing. I'd play along, then when the song is over you can talk to the crowd, tune, whatever before starting the next song. Pretty simple stuff. Just a pre-programmed drum and bass track, no looping neccessary for improv or anything like that.
Side note, I played around with FLStudio a bit last night, getting back into programming simple drums. I think if I had a realistic-sounding kit for that, I'd be set, at least as far as the drums go.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Well FL Studio can use VSTs as well, so I think you should be able to use Independence Free (or any of the others on that page I linked) if you want

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

baka kaba posted:

Well FL Studio can use VSTs as well, so I think you should be able to use Independence Free (or any of the others on that page I linked) if you want

Ah, I just found the English button on the Yellow Tools website. I tried to download some of those free kits last night, but none of the websites worked for me. When the Yellow Tools website turned out to be in German, I gave up. :downs:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Haha yeah - I think you need to sign up if I remember, and the actual sound library downloads are huge, but you can just get the drums if you want. It's pretty amazing for free! The app itself has a lot of stuff going on but you can use it like the guy in the video, just load in a drum kit and leave it at that

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Rotten Punk posted:

Thanks. I guess I'll pick up a white set and learn how to dye them.

There's a guide here for doing it with xbox controllers. I assume something similar would probably work on plastic guitar hardware?
http://alcaron.blogspot.com/2006/12/noir-360-wireless-controller.html

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Anybody have any tips for getting the best possible quality when uploading original music to YouTube (with still frames for video)?

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Lord Krangdar posted:

Anybody have any tips for getting the best possible quality when uploading original music to YouTube (with still frames for video)?

I keep my music in high quality .wav format when adding it to my video editing program and I render the video in high quality SD format using the highest quality audio export settings. I don't think audio quality is affected if you upload the video in HD or SD to youtube, but I know youtube uses it's own compression technology and I'm not quite sure what effect it has on the audio.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010
A couple of weeks ago I hit my pickup selector switch on my desk hard enough for the black tip (old ibanez S 5-way) to break off. I hadn't really noticed anything else wrong with it until a couple of days ago, when I noticed that I had far less volume from my bridge pickup than before. Same thing when I turned on any distortion: a third of the gain and volume.

So it turns out, if I push the pickup switch down a bit more, then jiggle it around, it finds its own stable self again and everything sounds normal. It stays that way for the remainder of my sesssion, until I switch pickups in an aggressive way, or whatever.

So I'd like to know: what kind of problem is this, how do I fix it (is it worth fixing myself) and about how much will it cost me?

Thanks

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like it could be just a cracked solder join where the pickup wires connect to the switch, if so it will be a pretty cheap repair as you'll just need to re-solder the connectors, but given the knock the switch has received I'd buy a nice shiny new switch assembly and put that in at the same time.
If it's not the switch at fault it could still be some of the wiring from the pickups, I installed a pickup some time ago and the output was as you described (1/3 normal) until I soldered two specific wires together and then everything was as expected. This was on a 3-way Gibson style switch so those wires probably lead directly into the 5-way on your guitar.

Pull the backplate off the guitar and give the wires a wiggle and you should hear it cut in and out. It might be as easy as pressing a soldering-iron against the connections momentarily to reseat the wires in place.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010
Thanks a lot for the reply. I had thought about the wiring and just checked. I can't seem to recreate it with just tugging the wiring. But the circular switch that houses the pickup selector seems to be pretty unstable. There's some kind of wobbly screw in it.

Thanks again, I'll look into it more this weekend.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

I have an MP3 of a goon covering CSNY's "Our House" in a shoegaze-style. I know it was for one of the rockstar projects but never found out who made it. I still think years later it's quite good. Come confirm and claim your (purely hypothetical) reward!

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
I play in a death metal band* and our first show is coming up at the end of this month. I've never played a show in any genre in my life but we are sounding pretty decent at practice.

My question is what are some basic tips for getting a good live sound? I've seen too many metal bands that just sound like incomprehensible distortion static. What are some major things that bands do wrong that you have noticed and what is a good general philosophy for having very abrasive discordant music but keeping the tone clear and comprehensible? I am one of two guitarists.

* https://www.facebook.com/pages/Contacting-Nebulas/182062805144950

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

the Bunt posted:

I play in a death metal band* and our first show is coming up at the end of this month. I've never played a show in any genre in my life but we are sounding pretty decent at practice.

My question is what are some basic tips for getting a good live sound? I've seen too many metal bands that just sound like incomprehensible distortion static. What are some major things that bands do wrong that you have noticed and what is a good general philosophy for having very abrasive discordant music but keeping the tone clear and comprehensible? I am one of two guitarists.

* https://www.facebook.com/pages/Contacting-Nebulas/182062805144950

Check the room as soon as you get there, or before if possible. Clap your hands, make some noise, and get a feel for how much the room itself reverberates. If it's a pretty "live" room, cut back on your reverb, if you use any, and be especially careful about feedback when using high gain. Are you playing through a PA in the space? If you are and they have an EQ in the system, that can be essential to carving out unwanted frequency bands and cleaning up the band's mix as a whole.

Also, don't play too loud. If you think you're not too loud, you're too loud. Generally a good balance is to set your levels high enough that they can be heard alongside the drums, but no louder. The more volume you pump into a space, the more likely the sound will turn to mud. This will vary depending on the size of the space, but 9 times out of 10 when I mix shows I end up having to mic the drums because the guitarists are pushing their amps so hard that the definition on the drums is lost in the mix (and disappointingly often, these people are using solid-state amps).

In my experience, a lot of heavier bands tend to cut back on highs when that's usually the opposite of what needs to happen.

Make sure you have monitors, if at all possible. This is essential, and underappreciated by players that have never used them. You will play better with a good monitor mix, and staying tight with the other musicians will reduce on muddiness.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

MockingQuantum posted:

Check the room as soon as you get there, or before if possible. Clap your hands, make some noise, and get a feel for how much the room itself reverberates. If it's a pretty "live" room, cut back on your reverb, if you use any, and be especially careful about feedback when using high gain. Are you playing through a PA in the space? If you are and they have an EQ in the system, that can be essential to carving out unwanted frequency bands and cleaning up the band's mix as a whole.

Also, don't play too loud. If you think you're not too loud, you're too loud. Generally a good balance is to set your levels high enough that they can be heard alongside the drums, but no louder. The more volume you pump into a space, the more likely the sound will turn to mud. This will vary depending on the size of the space, but 9 times out of 10 when I mix shows I end up having to mic the drums because the guitarists are pushing their amps so hard that the definition on the drums is lost in the mix (and disappointingly often, these people are using solid-state amps).

In my experience, a lot of heavier bands tend to cut back on highs when that's usually the opposite of what needs to happen.

Make sure you have monitors, if at all possible. This is essential, and underappreciated by players that have never used them. You will play better with a good monitor mix, and staying tight with the other musicians will reduce on muddiness.

No PAs for this show, and no clue about monitors. I don't know the first thing about stage monitoring so if you know a good resource to go to to learn where to start that would be great.

Since I figure the bassist is taking up the lower body of sound, I can cut back on the lows and boost the mids and highs?

Do I want to turn the volume on my distortion pedal lower while boosting the amp volume (no PA system for these shows)? I also expect using too much of the pedal's gain will muddy the tone up. My way of thinking is that I want the actual guitar tone to cut through, and so using the higher amp volume with less pedal gain/volume will be better. Is that right?

I assume it's best to have someone stand out where the audience will be and listen to the two guitars/bass levels and see that everything is equal (if you haven't realized, these are quite small and DIY shows) and that in most cases, if one guitarist is louder than the other he should turn down rather than the other turning up?

the Bunt fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 8, 2012

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

This is kinda general, but you cut through by having a nice EQ niche carved out, definitely not by being louder (that's less 'cutting through' and more 'fighting with all the other instruments'). The balance between your amp volume and your pedal settings really depends on the tone you want, I'd think, and keeping a consistent level if you stomp it to go clean - and remember, distorted guitar is fairly flat and even, cleaner sounds have a stronger attack so they can sound a lot louder.

No PA means your volume level's set by the drummer, so you have to work around them. You're right about your EQ (don't scoop your mids, and don't fight the bassist), and depending what the guitars are actually playing you might want to emphasise the characteristics of each guitar with your EQ, so they're not fighting each other and sound distinct and play to their strengths. Use the drummer as a reference - you don't want people turning themselves up unless they're actually too low to begin with. Have you tried this stuff at practice? You won't be using the same settings but the general concept is the same

And yeah, someone's got to walk around and check your mix - ideally a band member, if you can get someone to stand in on an instrument while things are scoped out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Anyone got tips for cleaning hardware?