Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

LordPants posted:

Also, I demand to know how Jim Bouton pitched in all your historical games.

4.30 FIP, 76.9 WAR, 1.984 WHOOPS. Naturally, he's in the Hall of Fame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I'm pretty sure its an easter egg of some sorts since in BBM I've seen the name come up in multiple simulations when you get past the point of historical players in the draft.

Cletus Fuckhat.

He just keeps reappearing.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Garret Anderson did break 4000 hits and retired at the end of the season.

I added Yu Darvish, and simmed a few seasons past. Him and Tim Lincecum both had seasons where they only lost 1 game all season.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

Chief McHeath posted:

I'm pretty sure its an easter egg of some sorts since in BBM I've seen the name come up in multiple simulations when you get past the point of historical players in the draft.

Cletus Fuckhat.

He just keeps reappearing.

Hahaha, yeah, my brother, who's not a huge sports or sports game fan, got hooked on BBM a couple years back and was very surprised when he was able to draft Mr. Fuckhat.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Moe_Rahn posted:

4.30 FIP, 76.9 WAR, 1.984 WHOOPS. Naturally, he's in the Hall of Fame.

Woo :woop:

That reminds me, I'm changing his nick-name to "Name-Player" because that's a funnier story than "Bulldog."

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IMB posted:

Hahaha, yeah, my brother, who's not a huge sports or sports game fan, got hooked on BBM a couple years back and was very surprised when he was able to draft Mr. Fuckhat.

It sounds more like something the programmers put in and forgot to take out.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
:spergin:

I was thinking, what if I made an alternate reality 1915 league where the MLB didn't win all the Anti-trust lawsuits they had filed against them so you had the:

United Major League Baseball Association
consisting of:
American, National, Federal and Pacific Coast leagues.

How would I do the playoffs? I don't have any idea how they're thinking of doing them in '13, but I would imagine for historical accuracy, you'd have the east coast leagues do a play off series (maybe AL/NL against FL) and then they play the PCL or something (to eliminate ridiculous train trips from New York to Los Angeles).

You could do East v. West, and because of the four day travel play four games in one city, then have three days off and play the last three in the other city (if you could even do that in OOTP...)

Oh the wait. Can't wait for opening day and OOTP.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Scout posted:

STUFF:
His stuff shows respectable potential. If he gets smarter and stronger, he could have a job in the big leagues for a while.

MOVEMENT:
Top-notch movement on all his pitches. Even when he's tired, his pitches are all still heavy in the zone. His breaking stuff is particularly hard to handle. Saw him break three bats in a row once.

CONTROL:
The sort of control that scouts and coaches drool about. He makes it look effortless out there. The ball simply goes where he wants it to, end of story.

SUMMARY:
The outlook is bleak, doesn't have big-league makeup.

So.... time to find a new scout?

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
Lou Gehrig just did .439/.593/.910
61 HR, 204 RBI, 215 BB (lol)as a 27 year old for Brooklyn

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Drafted a starter first overall and he immediately blew his arm out in his first major league start two weeks after signing a deal.

CraigK fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 6, 2012

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

I noticed when building an encyclopedia that a Dick Green of the 1969 Oakland Athletics had walked 242 times, 216 intentionally, for a batting line of .256/.545/.338

Does anyone know if I can find out who he was batting in front of? Not that there's literally anyone in the world it makes sense to walk him that many times for, not with a .338 SLG

This is from the earliest save I have in that game

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

I noticed when building an encyclopedia that a Dick Green of the 1969 Oakland Athletics had walked 242 times, 216 intentionally, for a batting line of .256/.545/.338

Does anyone know if I can find out who he was batting in front of? Not that there's literally anyone in the world it makes sense to walk him that many times for, not with a .338 SLG

This is from the earliest save I have in that game

Lineup protection is real...

I'm pretty sure I posted this before, but I was going through my old saves while trying to decide whether to buy OOTP13 (who am I kidding, I will) and this is still my favorite career

An entire decade at or below the Mendoza line? gently caress yes. Also the dingers. He's also 'disliked' because of a positive PED test, and he played third base (terribly) his entire career. MVP of our hearts

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Lineup protection is real...

I'm pretty sure I posted this before, but I was going through my old saves while trying to decide whether to buy OOTP13 (who am I kidding, I will) and this is still my favorite career

An entire decade at or below the Mendoza line? gently caress yes. Also the dingers. He's also 'disliked' because of a positive PED test, and he played third base (terribly) his entire career. MVP of our hearts

McGwire in OOTP is like Rob Deer reincarnated.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
if you don't play Mark McGwire at third base then you can just get the gently caress out

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

How do you guys do long term sims in OOTP without running into poo poo like "Random Low A team has an illegal number of players (7)!" in the first roster expansion? I'd love to sim a few decades and just leave it running but that always happens

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

stuart scott irl posted:

How do you guys do long term sims in OOTP without running into poo poo like "Random Low A team has an illegal number of players (7)!" in the first roster expansion? I'd love to sim a few decades and just leave it running but that always happens

Under Game Setup > League Setup there is an option to fill the league with fictional players up to the roster limit for every team.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
There's also a tickbox for "Enable incomplete minor league rosters" somewhere under those same options. Can't remember exactly which menu, though, off the top of my head

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Is OOTP13 going to have the new playoff format in? You can't do that bullshit "two wildcards play a one-game playoff in 12, I believe.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

CraigK posted:

Drafted a starter first overall and he immediately blew his arm out in his first major league start two weeks after signing a deal.

I once drafted Nick Swisher who, after becoming the best hitter in baseball, crashed into a wall and gave himself a career ending concussion.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

Ah yes, concussions and torn labrums. Once a player gets one of those, they're pretty much hosed.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Armitage posted:

Ah yes, concussions and torn labrums. Once a player gets one of those, they're pretty much hosed.

The rate of CEI's in OOTP is absolutely ridiculous .

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Yeah, Rule #1 is to immediately bump the injury rate to Low or Very Low, because setting it to "realistic modern day" settings means that 60% of your rotation and 80% of your lineup's going to be injured at the end of the season

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
"realistic modern day" is really more along the lines of "realistic 2009 new york mets"

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

Moe_Rahn posted:

"realistic modern day" is really more along the lines of "realistic 2009 new york mets"

The game keeps trying to give one of my superstars a CEI. I'm all "gently caress that noise", and changing the injury to something like a papercut. It's happened 3 times in two seasons! I should combine 'concussion' and 'torn labrum'(torn UCLs are frequent too but not nearly as bad as far as career enders go) to some sort of super injury.

BTW, just started the 2020 season, and the Marlins decided to up and move to San Antonio, calling themselves the Wallabies. That makes a whole lot of sense, I guess.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
I think I've figured out what I want OOTP to do in regards to prospects: instead of having maybe one five star prospect, two 4.5 star prospects, a smattering of 2-and-3-star prospects and the rest one-stars in each draft and have almost all of them hit their potential ratings, I want the game to generate a big pile of five-star and four-star prospects and have most of them fail to meet their potential and become 1-, 2-, or 3-star prospects. Is there any way to do this?

e: and also to make the draft class not be 90% middle relievers, almost nobody drafted is a reliever in high-school or college

CraigK fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Mar 9, 2012

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

CraigK posted:

I think I've figured out what I want OOTP to do in regards to prospects: instead of having maybe one five star prospect, two 4.5 star prospects, a smattering of 2-and-3-star prospects and the rest one-stars in each draft and have almost all of them hit their potential ratings, I want the game to generate a big pile of five-star and four-star prospects and have most of them fail to meet their potential and become 1-, 2-, or 3-star prospects. Is there any way to do this?

e: and also to make the draft class not be 90% middle relievers, almost nobody drafted is a reliever in high-school or college

If you're using OOTP 11 or earlier, there's no way to reduce the number of relievers without manually editing the draft class. There was supposed to be a patch to 12 that reduced the number of relief pitchers the draft generated. I don't think you can make the game generate more top notch prospects, either. You can slow down player development. It's in the game setup menus.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CraigK posted:

Is OOTP13 going to have the new playoff format in? You can't do that bullshit "two wildcards play a one-game playoff in 12, I believe.

I just got an email saying that they had changed the play off options to allow First Round Byes so I think that is a yes. :)

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.

CraigK posted:

They're doing this also.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
I wish I could choose who went to the hall of fame instead of giving the ai some weird parameters for choosing who goes in. Moises Alou should not go in the hall every single time I play.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

uggy posted:

I wish I could choose who went to the hall of fame instead of giving the ai some weird parameters for choosing who goes in. Moises Alou should not go in the hall every single time I play.

What I've done is made the requirements so ridiculously high that the AI won't induct anyone, and do it all manually.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

2012 Major League rosters, along with rule changes introduced by the new major league labor agreement, including Houston's AL West move in 2013 and a second wild card team in each major league, starting with the 2013 playoffs.
Real-Time Simulation Mode, which gives you a GM's view on what's happening in your league in real-time, including scores of games in progress, notifications of important events, and more. You can even jump into any game and watch it play out, or take the reins of your club.
As you'll see in one of our Road to Release articles, Real-Time Simulation Mode is perfect for those final days of the season when playoff berths are on the line.
Interactive Storylines also offer greater immersion by giving you choices when situations arise. Do you punish a star player who behaves badly or do you ignore his antics? No two decisions are ever alike, and they have wide-ranging effects on injuries, fan interest, team chemistry, player morale, player ratings, player potential, owner attitudes, and much more.
A revamped pitching model that more accurately reflects pitching in the real world, where close to 90% of pitchers are typically drafted as starters and later become relievers for various reasons. The new pitching model brings with it a host of positive changes that we'll discuss in depth in Road to Release.
You can now create Associations with multiple leagues that may share certain rules, free agents, draft pools, and/or playoffs. And speaking of playoffs: OOTP 13 features more custom playoff options, including, for example, first round byes.
We've also overhauled the interface in OOTP 13, enhanced online league play, improved the core gameplay engine, and more.

That's the email for people who are not on the mailing list.

First round byes is important because you could hypothetically go

2 plays 3 winner plays 1, where as before you had to have an number that was a power of two.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Reminder that BBM is adding a whole bunch of neat stuff for the next edition - out in 2 days - including heat maps and physics-based balls in play.

http://thegamedesigner.blogspot.com/2012/03/baseball-mogul-2013-preview-heat-maps.html

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Reminder too, that OOTP 13 is out April 9, with pre-orders getting it on the uhh 6th I think?

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Wow. Baseball Mogul looks cool this year. Might have to get it.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

The MLB-based OOTP 11 league that Toona the Cat used to run has something like 10 teams open and we're looking for some managers to come hang, get screwed over in hilariously bad trades, and possibly win championships without really trying.

The following teams are (probably) open: DET, KC, MIN, NYY, SEA, CIN, MIL, COL, SD, LAD

We've just started the 2019 season so you can get a feel for how the league runs before you have to make any transactions. Since it's 2019, a lot of real life players have retired but the draft class of 2011 is entering its prime so there are a lot of present day prospects playing big roles in the league.

Here's the news page: http://www.toonathecat.net/scmlb/news/html/leagues/league_100_home.html

Nobody really told me to recruit but I'm sure if you're interested we'd love to have you. There are several SA forum members in the league and it's been a lot of fun in the 6 seasons I've been in the league now.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I have OOTP 11, but I can't justify spending $40 bucks on '13 right now. Although I do like some of the features it's promising.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Retail Slave posted:

I have OOTP 11, but I can't justify spending $40 bucks on '13 right now. Although I do like some of the features it's promising.

Agreed, but I have 12. I wish there was like an upgrade edition where if you have the previous year you could get the new one at a discount. I would definitely buy 13 if it was 25 or something near that but 40 is really steep. I always wait until the WS when it drops down to 20 bucks and he's done with updates.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

uggy posted:

Agreed, but I have 12. I wish there was like an upgrade edition where if you have the previous year you could get the new one at a discount. I would definitely buy 13 if it was 25 or something near that but 40 is really steep. I always wait until the WS when it drops down to 20 bucks and he's done with updates.

Not to mention he basically relies on the community to fix the rosters and help update prospect ratings.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Oh hey, the NDA has lifted so there is tonnes of information out on the boards on OOTP13.

There's a new pitching model meaning most pitchers start as starters but get relegated to the bullpen based on the number of pitches they have,

You can create leagues based around regions.

The trading system has improved (I don't know how much by, seems to be about Brian Cashman level, not Andrew Friedman level).

high level catchers frame pitchers better.

more customisable playoffs (First round byes! Yay!).

2012 CBA additions minus some elements of the draft system (it has the "no major league contract" options).

Real Time Scores - so basically you click "play real time" and the entire league plays out a day in real time (or at what ever speed you want) so you can watch an entire league's games at once like you're at MLB.com or something.

People seem to be raving about it, per usual. I don't know if there are any real paradigm shifts, but it's still got some big improvements.

edit: The amount of :spergin: by the testers is remarkable considering they would have spent the last however many weeks ironing out game crashing bugs, so if they still have enthusiasm for the game then that's a good sign.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

wow, the new BBM engine sounds cool as heck. Might have to switch back this season

• Locked thread