Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Humm, weird. Both my interconnects are 12.2-something, running transparent. I'll have to check next time I'm consoled in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Martytoof posted:

I've always wondered why VLAN info wasn't in the running/startup config. Have to assume it's just backwards compatibility, but I dunno.

I assume you are talking about 6500 switches, in which case vlan info is most assuredly in the running/startup config.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh, no I'm running Cisco GESM interconnects in an HP P-Class blade enclosure. That's really the only Cisco equipment I have my hands on on a regular basis these days :(

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Let’s assume I want a 50mbit circuit.

50mbit = 52428800bits.

So to find the ideal burst rate I would:

Burst = (52428800 * 0.00025) = 13107.

So in a policy map, my rate/CIR/bandwidth should be defined as 52428800 and the burst should be 13100 if I round down?

policy-map kyletest
class class-default
police rate 52428800 bps burst 13100 bytes
conform-action transmit
exceed-action drop

Does this look applicable?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Go find the policing bc be calculator out there. It takes the guesswork out of it.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
I didn't even think to look for that! I'll have to find it.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Here's hopefully a simple question. Customer is having latency between two vlan's, DB subnet and Web server subnet, both vlans are on a 2960G but their gateways are on an ASA with 100Mb connections to the gig switch. Looking at a "sh int summ" I see a poo poo ton of output queue drops on the two interfaces that plug into the ASA

code:
  Interface               IHQ   IQD  OHQ   OQD  RXBS RXPS  TXBS TXPS TRTL
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Vlan1                    0     0    0     0     0    0     0    0    0
* Vlan20                   0     0    0     0  1000    1     0    0    0
  FastEthernet0            0     0    0     0     0    0     0    0    0
* GigabitEthernet1/0/1     0     0    0     0     0    0     0    0    0
  GigabitEthernet1/0/2     0     0    0     0     0    0     0    0    0
  GigabitEthernet1/0/3     0     0    0     0     0    0     0    0    0
* GigabitEthernet1/0/4     0     0    0 1204403 4764000  1127 13188000  1449    0
* GigabitEthernet1/0/5     0     0    0     0 13283000  1453 4743000  1121    0
* GigabitEthernet1/0/6     0     0    0     0  2000    1  2000    3    0
* GigabitEthernet1/0/7     0     0    0     0     0    0  4000    2    0
* GigabitEthernet1/0/8     0     0    0     0     0    0     0    0    0
  GigabitEthernet1/0/9     0     0    0     0     0    0     0    0    0
* GigabitEthernet1/0/10    0     0    0     0  2000    2  3000    2    0
* GigabitEthernet1/0/11    0     0    0     0     0    0     0    0    0
* GigabitEthernet1/0/12    0     0    0     0     0    0     0    0    0
* GigabitEthernet1/0/13    0     0    0     0     0    0     0    0    0
* GigabitEthernet1/0/14    0     0    0 553715     0    0     0    0    0
* GigabitEthernet1/0/15    0     0    0     0  2000    1  3000    4    0
* GigabitEthernet1/0/16    0     0    0     0  2000    2  3000    4    0
* GigabitEthernet1/0/17    0     0    0     0     0    0     0    0    0
* GigabitEthernet1/0/18    0     0    0    93 11904000  2186 11891000  2270    0
* GigabitEthernet1/0/19    0     0    0     0     0    1     0    0    0
  GigabitEthernet1/0/20    0     0    0     0     0    0     0    0    0
* GigabitEthernet1/0/21    0     0    0 199592 13780000  1979 11482000  1850    0
* GigabitEthernet1/0/22    0     0    0     0 6302000  926 7018000  932    0
Awesomenote: 7 week uptime, before I cleared counters the DMZ interface had 229 million dropped packets

I already bumped the output queue hold time up to 4096 and it didn't do jack poo poo, is it safe to say my only two options at this point are to put this switch into layer 3 and enable CEF or upgrade the 5510's to gigabit?

edit: Also I have done 'show controller utilization' during peak times and the ASA uplinks do sometimes hit 100% utilization

Sepist fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 29, 2012

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
You aren't going to get layer 3 on a 2960 and output drops are from congestion. I assume you are getting a lot more traffic than your 100meg pipe can handle. Get rid of, or upgrade the ASA if you can, a 5510 is pretty slow and more for a ranch type office, not a fully blown datacenter.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Ahhh F I totally forgot the 2960's don't support IPbase, this is going to be a lovely conference call this morning - thanks for reminding me before I looked like an idiot.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
Pretty sure that's a LAN closet grade switch for user access. Depending on the models you can have varying configurations of shared asics or shared output buffers between ports. If you plug a bunch of high traffic servers into a switch like that you'll get poor performance. I ran into something similar with a 6509 that had servers plugged into closet grade blades.

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.
Anyone have experience setting up priority queueing on an older Cisco 2500 series router?

I am having a voice quality issues on a T1 which has been identified as network congestion. We have 2 sites, a distribution center and an general office. We have phone switches at both sites but lately one user at the DC has complained about voice quality issues. We reproduced the issue and know its network congestion because whenever we attempt to saturate the T1 line on a particular machine at the DC, the quality of any phone call in the DC diminishes. We want to setup some type of QoS but we do not know all the ports associated with the voice traffic. I thought it would be best to do this with priority queueing and access lists by prioritizing phone switches from other traffic.

We're running 2 older Cisco 2501 routers on 12.0(5) IOS.
Each router has an Ethernet and serial interface.

The current running configuration on each router is pretty simple, setting up IP addresses interfaces e0 and s0. We have 2 routes created and an access list to prevent certain hosts from getting outside.

I have come up with some commands that might do what I'm looking for, but I don't have any kind of Cisco test environment so I can't test during production.

For the router at the office site I have these additions:

192.168.2.x represents the distribution center subnet

#allow any ip to phone switches on serial 0 out, for use in high queue
access-list phone permit any host 192.168.2.30
access-list phone permit any host 192.168.2.31
access-list phone permit any host 192.168.2.32
#allow any traffic, for use in normal queue
access-list all permit any any

#Create priority list
priority-list 1 protocol ip high list phone
priority-list 1 protocol ip normal list all

#select serial 0
interface s0
#Assigns newly created priority list 1 to interface s0
priority-group 1

However I'm not particularly familiar with Cisco configurations and I don't know that this would even work. Am I on the right track?

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

Powercrazy posted:

You aren't going to get layer 3 on a 2960 and output drops are from congestion.

Actually newer IOS releases for 2960 does give you basic static layer3 routing.

Cisco.com posted:

This chapter describes how to configure IP Version 4 (IPv4) static IP unicast routing on the Catalyst 2960-S and 2960 switch. Static routing is supported only on switched virtual interfaces (SVIs) and not on physical interfaces. The switch does not support routing protocols.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_55_se/configuration/guide/swipstatrout.html

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
We just finished a network backbone upgrade. The new backbone consists of the following:

[SERVER] ---> [SWITCH1] ===> [SWITCH2] ===> [SWITCH3] ---> [SERVER]

---> is a 1 gbps ethernet connection
===> is a 2 gbps ethernet connection of 2 1gbps ports aggregated together.

What's a good way to test if the backbone is actually capable of hitting 2gbps and that everything is working correctly?

Copying a file from my computer (connected to switch 1) to a server connected to switch 3 is peaking at 85 MB/s and then settling to between 45 and 55 MB/s. Obviously that's no where close to even hitting the 1 gbps my computer's ethernet is theoretically capable of, but I have no way of knowing what the bottleneck is, or even what real world speeds I should be expecting.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
iPerf or jPerf.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

Frozen-Solid posted:

Copying a file from my computer (connected to switch 1) to a server connected to switch 3 is peaking at 85 MB/s and then settling to between 45 and 55 MB/s.

Absent some optimization like window scaling; that's about what a single TCP session is going to max out at. You either need multiple concurrent transfers or some kind of traffic generation application as previously mentioned.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

tortilla_chip posted:

iPerf
..in UDP mode specifying target bandwidth (1g, 2g)

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
iperf running on a linux at both ends. Follow these instructions for tcp tuning;

http://fasterdata.es.net/fasterdata/host-tuning/

Run it with the option for parralel streams (4 is the sweet spot for some reason, maybe someone can elaborate).

After that spits some (hopefully big) numbers at you download and install bbcp, and try and use that to copy some real data. I've managed to run a mem to mem transfer at 980mbps using bbcp between two red hat VM's through a moderately sized backbone network.

If you do these two things you can use these numbers to pretty much nullify anyone who complains about network performance.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

abigserve posted:

Run it with the option for parralel streams (4 is the sweet spot for some reason, maybe someone can elaborate).

CEF (and port channels) typically load balance based on IP address/port tuples on platforms where it can. If the middle devices are only l2 capable testing this would actually require multiple machines on each end. The Cisco Etherchannel tech note [1] covers it pretty comprehensively for switches. Technically with 2 links you should only need 2 streams, but that's hoping that the streams get balanced on different bundle members, going up to 4 or 8 gives you better odds of getting multiple streams going over each bundle member.

If you're on 6500 check out [2] as it gives some commands for determining which link a flow will use, useful if you want to do UDP tests as you can generally tell iperf to use specific ports, then you'd just need 2 streams.

1: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk213/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094714.shtml
2: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9336/products_tech_note09186a0080a963a9.shtml#ec

ragzilla fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Mar 1, 2012

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

inignot posted:

Pretty sure that's a LAN closet grade switch for user access. Depending on the models you can have varying configurations of shared asics or shared output buffers between ports. If you plug a bunch of high traffic servers into a switch like that you'll get poor performance. I ran into something similar with a 6509 that had servers plugged into closet grade blades.

We have a lot of companies using 2960G's for cost reason, but the customers who know they need to plan for enterprise grade traffic have the proper equipment. As an update, most of the congestion was caused by a faulty NIC on a server, there's still minor congestion but since it's no longer making the whole network fall over my "expert" advice is falling on deaf ears.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

ragzilla posted:

CEF (and port channels) typically load balance based on IP address/port tuples on platforms where it can. If the middle devices are only l2 capable testing this would actually require multiple machines on each end. The Cisco Etherchannel tech note [1] covers it pretty comprehensively for switches. Technically with 2 links you should only need 2 streams, but that's hoping that the streams get balanced on different bundle members, going up to 4 or 8 gives you better odds of getting multiple streams going over each bundle member.

If you're on 6500 check out [2] as it gives some commands for determining which link a flow will use, useful if you want to do UDP tests as you can generally tell iperf to use specific ports, then you'd just need 2 streams.

1: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk213/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094714.shtml
2: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9336/products_tech_note09186a0080a963a9.shtml#ec

Etherchannel load-balancing is based on an XOR operation between either the source and destination IP or the source and destination mac address on most IOS switches.

Because of this, you can have a million streams between the same two endpoints and they'll all go down the same link in a portchannel.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

So I've got myself in a rough position. I'm by no means a Cisco guy (haven't really dealt with much Cisco stuff since 2005 or so). I was sent out today to switch a Cisco PIX from one ISP to another. This is a fairly basic task, but something broke somewhere and I can't get back online with either connection. I changed the outside IP, removed the old gateway and added the new one, and then made sure the nat/global settings were good. After that didn't work, I checked out the web GUI and tried running the wizard that lets you put in your ISP info. This probably broke something because now I can't even revert to the old connection.

I'd rather not paste the whole config here as it has some company specific stuff in it, but if anyone can help me out I'll gladly PM it to you or paste specific lines here...

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Did you do basic tests, say pinging across the /30 to the ISP?

Also if you used the web gui your entire config is probably hosed unless the PIX was initially setup with the gui.

hopefully you have a backup of the original config?

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

Knowing the person who set it up, I'm 99% positive it was setup with the GUI originally. I started with the CLI stuff first since I really don't trust the GUI. I can't ping out to the ISP's gateway. Unfortunately, since I'm a moron I don't have a backup of the config before making the changes this morning. I would have just reset it to defaults and started over but there's a few IPSEC tunnels that no one seems to know anything about, as well as client based VPN settings. Re-doing that stuff would be a little bit of a pain, unless there's an easy way to export it and re-import it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I can't really help you with the VPN stuff as I'm not super familiar with how the PIX handles those. As for your problem, I suspect that when you changed the outside interface address that there is an ACL(s) that are expecting a different outside address.

Also make sure your default route is updated for the new ISP next hop, and of course that the existing default route is gone.

From the cli you can also use the packet-tracer command to see where the traffic is being blocked/dropped.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

Welp, we had to do a whole shitload of tweaking with ACLs and routes. On a whim I power cycled the cable modem after doing an arp clear and that at least let the router get out to the Internet. We then had to tweak the rules further to let LAN traffic out. Everything's golden now. Thanks for the input

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Quick Question:

If I'm looking at interface counters on say a 6500. And I see 100 output drops, and 10000 total packets output. Do those total packets output include the dropped packets?

So as a percentage, drops would account for 100/10000 = 1% of total traffic?

Or is it something different.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Powercrazy posted:

Quick Question:

If I'm looking at interface counters on say a 6500. And I see 100 output drops, and 10000 total packets output. Do those total packets output include the dropped packets?

So as a percentage, drops would account for 100/10000 = 1% of total traffic?

Or is it something different.

The total output won't count drops, since they never actually left (they were dropped).

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Well I assume that the packets would be counted before the output queue, whereas dropped packets would be counted when they were dropped. I could see it working either way.

If your way is the case it throws my numbers off a bit.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

output drops are difficult to diagnose because you have to figure out what is dropping them: it's either a higher intelligence function, such as SPD, or the queuing strategy, or the hardware itself.

It's one of the most obnoxious parts of owning network gear, in my experience.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Well in this case I know exactly what it is. We have multiple vlans that have thousands of hosts in them being feed from multiple 10G sources being spanned to a single 1G port.

The only thing I was trying to clarify is if the output drops number on the show interface screen should be added to the total output packets to get %packets dropped.

And it looks like it should.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

mono posted:

Welp, we had to do a whole shitload of tweaking with ACLs and routes. On a whim I power cycled the cable modem after doing an arp clear and that at least let the router get out to the Internet. We then had to tweak the rules further to let LAN traffic out. Everything's golden now. Thanks for the input

Not sure if it applies here but I think on 8.2x, at least, that the implied policies are built dynamically on boot based on the existing ip address.

So if you have:

ssh 192.168.67.25 255.255.255.255 outside

And change your outside interface IP those entries will either need to be removed and re-added or just reboot the device.

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
Has cisco done away with all of the access switches with the old fat gbic uplink slots? All I'm seeing are sfp uplink ports.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
Yeah 1G optics are all SFPs these days. 10G is another story.

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
Ok, thanks.

Goodnight sweet big boned gbics.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
There have been so many 10G "standards" over the years just in Cisco land, not to mention everywhere else.

XFPs, SFP+, Xenpak, X2's, not too mention the various "colors" of wavelength as well as PoS, Ethernet, or pure Sonet.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
My favorite 10G product moment with Cisco thus far has been the ASR9001. SFP+ on the builtin ports... and XFP for the modular cards :bang:

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
Currently we don't have much in the way of ACLs to silo VLANs from each other. Does cisco have any sort of centralized way to control ACLs for VLANs over multiple devices? Being able to create ACL roles for various VLANs and have that automatically propagate out to our switches would be lovely.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

tortilla_chip posted:

My favorite 10G product moment with Cisco thus far has been the ASR9001. SFP+ on the builtin ports... and XFP for the modular cards :bang:
HAHAHA. Seriously? Wow....

I thought Cisco had standardized SFP+ across the board. Guess not.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Boner Buffet posted:

Currently we don't have much in the way of ACLs to silo VLANs from each other. Does cisco have any sort of centralized way to control ACLs for VLANs over multiple devices? Being able to create ACL roles for various VLANs and have that automatically propagate out to our switches would be lovely.

Mayhap you should purchase a firewall? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
MTU question. What's would happen if we have a storage network (NFS/iSCSI traffic) with jumbo frames enabled on only some interfaces? E.g. on the switches, but not the filers/servers? I'm assuming this is a terrible idea and everything should be switched over at once (or set up that way in the first place, of course...)