Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Wild Hunt is a strange film, it's about a guy who's girlfriend is getting tired of the situation and just wants out, so she breaks up with him and stays with her LARPing community. His brother is a major player among the LARPers but he doesn't do it himself, yet he somewhat has to in order to enter and find her. At first the film feels like a drama due to the situation and cinematography, but it also has some funny dialogue with some of the characters, along with the "referees" who state the rules during battle and such make it seem a bit goofy (because hey, it's LARPing). But then it starts turning to a pretty dark film and by the end you kinda go "how the gently caress did I get here?"

It's a bit slow in the beginning but it's a loving awesome film. Watch this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

This has probably been up for a while but Dr. Who: 6th Season is now available.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

scorpiobean posted:

Yes, watch Father Ted. And the IT Crowd. And Spaced. I guess I've been on a British comedy kick lately. Anyway, I'm seconding the recommendation for Father Ted. I thought it was really funny and it made me laugh out loud quite a few times. I don't know whether I found it particularly funny because I was raised Catholic, but fortunately you don't have to know much about Catholicism to find it funny

You forgot That Mitchell and Webb Look. Peep Show was ok, but it just had too uncomfortable of humor for me. I think after the first season of Mitchell and Webb is when they start getting away with funnier satire. I really hope Netflix gets Friday Night Dinner. Sure, I bought it on iTunes, but I would prefer to watch it on our tv.

Edit, gently caress it, I'll just post some of the clips I just watched.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9swKKZy0CCM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCL4dXUtblg&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMGIbOGu8q0

Bored has a new favorite as of 19:23 on Mar 4, 2012

DoorMatt
Dec 14, 2007
Watch The Nose

Retro42 posted:

This has probably been up for a while but Dr. Who: 6th Season is now available.

Finally!! I know what I'm doing after work. :munch:

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Finished up X-Files and by the last episode I really had no idea what the gently caress was going on. It was nice to see all the characters come back but it didn't really hide the fact that basically half of it was a clip show.

Watched Hobo With A Shotgun last night and it was a pretty strange movie but was one of the better grindhouse like movies to come out recently. I mentioned in another thread that I've started watching Intervention. It's pretty interesting in a day-time tv, schadenfreude way.

quote:

British comedy

If I had to recommend a brit comedy it would definitely be Black's Books. It was pretty funny and I wish they made more episodes but the one's they did make were great.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Gaunab posted:

Finished up X-Files and by the last episode I really had no idea what the gently caress was going on. It was nice to see all the characters come back but it didn't really hide the fact that basically half of it was a clip show.

Watched Hobo With A Shotgun last night and it was a pretty strange movie but was one of the better grindhouse like movies to come out recently. I mentioned in another thread that I've started watching Intervention. It's pretty interesting in a day-time tv, schadenfreude way.

If I had to recommend a brit comedy it would definitely be Black's Books. It was pretty funny and I wish they made more episodes but the one's they did make were great.
Black Books is so absurdly funny, even with the laughtrack!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Liku posted:

The Wild Hunt is a strange film, it's about a guy who's girlfriend is getting tired of the situation and just wants out, so she breaks up with him and stays with her LARPing community. His brother is a major player among the LARPers but he doesn't do it himself, yet he somewhat has to in order to enter and find her. At first the film feels like a drama due to the situation and cinematography, but it also has some funny dialogue with some of the characters, along with the "referees" who state the rules during battle and such make it seem a bit goofy (because hey, it's LARPing). But then it starts turning to a pretty dark film and by the end you kinda go "how the gently caress did I get here?"

It's a bit slow in the beginning but it's a loving awesome film. Watch this poo poo.

What in the what. I just watched this movie on your recommendation and goddamn is the last 15 minutes f-ed up. There's a building sense of unease in the movie, but it really crests near the end.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Just gave Archer a go and I can't believe how much I'm enjoying it.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Ccs posted:

What in the what. I just watched this movie on your recommendation and goddamn is the last 15 minutes f-ed up. There's a building sense of unease in the movie, but it really crests near the end.

I have said this before, but if you want a LARP movie, watch Darkon. It is pretty much the best movie on Netflix. It is LARP, and it is all too real.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Luther series Season 2 is up!

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Bored As gently caress posted:

Fuckin' booyah! Thanks!

Useless Rabbit
Jan 27, 2009

If you are a fan of Idris Elba going dark and disturbed, check out Legacy with Idris, Clarke Peters (also from The Wire and Treme), Eamonn Walker (from Oz) and Lara Pulver (Irene Adler from Sherlock S2).

Trailer

Useless Rabbit has a new favorite as of 09:10 on Mar 5, 2012

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ccs posted:

It's loving fantastic, I'm making all my friends watch this now.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Grizzly Man was just added to instant. Probably one of the best documentaries I've ever seen.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Season 5 of Man vs. Wild is up.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm requested movies on Netflix similar to The Perfect Host. I have a thing for movies with mental illnesses.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kneel Before Zog posted:

I'm requested movies on Netflix similar to The Perfect Host. I have a thing for movies with mental illnesses.

I thought you said The Host and was about to say that one of us didn't watch it right. If any one has any recommendations of movies like The Perfect Host I'm down.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Volume posted:

I thought you said The Host and was about to say that one of us didn't watch it right. If any one has any recommendations of movies like The Perfect Host I'm down.

God drat, that looks so dumb that it looks amazing. Time to add that to my queue.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

VaultAggie posted:

God drat, that looks so dumb that it looks amazing. Time to add that to my queue.

The Host, Gwoemul, has an amazing beginning that is loosely based on actual events (sans monster) but the middle is predictable, plodding and very heavy on demagoguery. Things pick up again at the very end. It's worth watching if you're a monster fan.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Eh, I didn't like the Host much and I tend to like the shittiest of Monster flicks. But I think it was also 2~ hours and just really dragged on and never picked up enough for me.

sponsz
Aug 28, 2005

By the whiskers of Kurvi-Tasch!
Hey I don't know how many Tintin fans there are out there, but it looks like the whole animated series is up, and they are seriously awesome!

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The Amazing Johnathan, and The Best of Triumph the Insult Dog.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just wanted to suggest Tokyo Zombie to everyone. It's about two men who work in fire extinguisher factory but dream of being jiu jitsu champions. They kill their boss on accident and decide to bury his body in a mountain that people come to when they want to "dispose" of things. The mountain ends up reanimating the dead and things take off from there.

It's extremely unique and takes you on a pretty wild ride. Very colorful and pretty drat funny to boot. I really enjoyed it and have watched it multiple times since my first watch.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
The entire boxset of Charlie Chaplin's early work is up. All the Little Tramp classics.

ThriceBakedPotato
Oct 25, 2010

by T. Butt

Can't give Luther enough love. I'd put it up against any crime thriller ever, and it plays more like film than TV.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Thank loving God. Series 1 ends in a massive cliffhanger. Now they just need to add Sherlock series 2.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Volume posted:

The Amazing Johnathan

I watched the most recent show available on Netflix and was horrified to discover that this dude is still doing that single act that he came up with in the early nineties. He's obviously a talented performer; I wish he'd have spent the last two decades coming up with new material. :(

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I watched the most recent show available on Netflix and was horrified to discover that this dude is still doing that single act that he came up with in the early nineties. He's obviously a talented performer; I wish he'd have spent the last two decades coming up with new material. :(

I said the same thing when I watched this, what I really want to find is his Lounge Lizards set I saw on Comedy Central once, he had some different material and one bit I really liked with a knife that he'd cut himself with to freak the audience out and it looked disturbingly real. I can't find that special anywhere.

Just watched Darkon, meh, the production quality was pretty mediocre and some of the people in the game have serious god drat issues. It's a good insight into LARPing but it really just makes it look goofy and laughable.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Liku posted:

Just watched Darkon, meh, the production quality was pretty mediocre and some of the people in the game have serious god drat issues. It's a good insight into LARPing but it really just makes it look goofy and laughable.

Yes, those are all the things that make the movie good.

If you want a documentary that explores the well adjusted grownups who spend large portions of their lives dressing up in silly outfits and getting angry at fake battles and NOT looking silly, you probably need to find a documentary on alternate universes.

mister_gosh
May 24, 2002

I need a tv series recommendation. I like:

Buffy, Dexter, Breaking Bad and Six Feet Under.

I'm not into Angel so much and any other show by Joss is too short for my standards (prefer a storyline that goes a good 5 seasons or so). Dr. Who is ok, but I'm not feeling it right now. Something engaging like Breaking Bad and Six Feet Under is most what I'm looking for.

I've debated things like Lie to Me, Rescue Me and Weeds. I've tried Mad Men and Nip/Tuck but they both have characters who are just a little too unlikeable (I'm not sensitive, it's just hard to like womanizers and overly vain characters).

Thanks for any suggestions!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

cornface posted:

Yes, those are all the things that make the movie good.

If you want a documentary that explores the well adjusted grownups who spend large portions of their lives dressing up in silly outfits and getting angry at fake battles and NOT looking silly, you probably need to find a documentary on alternate universes.

I was expecting the film to play out like the beginning sequence which was shot to look like a film. That would have been neat, keep all of the roleplaying stuff well filmed and movie-esque and make the interviews look like the documentary that it actually is. It's the lovely production of the film that kills it for me the most, everything is terribly shot.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Watched Ironclad last night.

Holy hell was that movie bloody. I loved it.

ThriceBakedPotato
Oct 25, 2010

by T. Butt

mister_gosh posted:

I'm not into Angel so much and any other show by Joss is too short for my standards (prefer a storyline that goes a good 5 seasons or so).

You sound broken. How do you watch a film that only goes for 90 or 120 minutes if it takes you 50 hours to enjoy a story?

To be helpful, I'll go ahead and say that Fringe is up your alley.

ThriceBakedPotato has a new favorite as of 20:07 on Mar 6, 2012

raven77
Jan 28, 2006

Nevermore.

mister_gosh posted:

As the guy above me said, Fringe is cool, but it's not on Instant Watch.

As for things on Instant I'd recommend Sons of Anarchy and Rescue Me. Beware however that Rescue Me is highly hit or miss, at least in my opinion but the first 2-3 seasons are good enough that I at least slogged through the stuff that wasn't great. I've only watched about half of the first season of Sons of Anarchy but it's pretty entertaining and full of good, exciting drama so far. However, I've heard the second season isn't as awesome, so take that for what it's worth.

raven77 has a new favorite as of 20:24 on Mar 6, 2012

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

mister_gosh posted:

I need a tv series recommendation.

I know it's not really like the shows you said you liked but I'd feel bad if I didn't recommend Farscape. Most people have a little trouble getting through the first season but agree that it's an important part of the series. I'll also recommend Supernatural, it's also got a storyline that spans through six seasons so it should keep you entertained.

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life
Supernatural is great and lasts forever, it can get kind of weepy and emotional but then again it aired on the WB.
Reaper is a good show in the same vein, freak of the week comedy/horror, only lasted two seasons though.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

zoux posted:

Thank loving God. Series 1 ends in a massive cliffhanger. Now they just need to add Sherlock series 2.

Series 2 of Sherlock hasn't even aired in the US yet. I'm not even sure if it has finished in the UK.

BoyGenius
Jul 22, 2003

by Ralp
The Man From Nowhere is a pretty awesome revenge movie. I've seen it four times now and highly recommend it. It's in subtitles and has a decent plot and plenty of action/martial arts.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

mister_gosh posted:

Thanks for any suggestions!

If you haven't seen it all already, Battlestar Galactica is amazing. It isn't really a Sci-Fi show, so much as it is a badass action drama that takes place in space. I cannot recommend it enough.

Also, as another poster mentioned, Supernatural is pretty good as well. It is what I am currently on, and just got to Season 4. Enjoying it a lot so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrandleBerries
Oct 21, 2005
ITT Tech graduated ninja
I was watching the first episode Luther, Season 2 last night.. but tonight I don't see it up anymore.. Hope it hasn't been taken down..

• Locked thread