Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
I liked the third (?) series of Skins because Cook was a great character, could do without Effy and Freddy though.

edit: I was going to say that the two twins were gorgeous but reading my post history in this thread i've already said this before and I seem to talk about girls on TV i'm attracted to every third post. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !
Brian Blessed has already been King of England. Unless you believe those lying history books. His diplomacy consisted of having his bastard son marry professor Sprout off Harry Potter.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Bad Wolf posted:

Brian Blessed has already been King of England. Unless you believe those lying history books. His diplomacy consisted of having his bastard son marry professor Sprout off Harry Potter.

CHIZZICH MORE HORSES!

So sad he wasn't in the rest of Blackadder.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Lets be honest on this, King Brian Blessed. What can go wrong?

Big Boss Blessed.

AAABLUBLUBLUBLBUBLBUBLBUBLBU YOOOSA ALL BOMBAD

You're right, let's do it.

John_Anon_Smith
Nov 26, 2007
:smug:

Judoon Platoon posted:

Why would anyone think this week's Skins would be a good idea? :stare:

Yeah, what the hell.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Will one of you Skin Watchers actually describe what happened.
I'm guessing it went too overtly racist ala Mongrels.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
checked it up on wiki, I assume they're talking about this

quote:

Alo still has no clue that Mini is pregnant with his baby. He attempts to get over her by going out with a new girl called Poppy Champion. Mini is soon a distant memory as things progress between the two of them. After having sex, Alo later finds out that Poppy is only 13 and is taken away by the police, facing court over paedophilia.

:stare:

also there were apparently Russian gangsters in the previous episode. Realism!

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

I liked the third (?) series of Skins because Cook was a great character, could do without Effy and Freddy though.

edit: I was going to say that the two twins were gorgeous but reading my post history in this thread i've already said this before and I seem to talk about girls on TV i'm attracted to every third post. :(

Here's a random fact about Freddy, for you. The fella that played him in Skins is about to play William Adama in the new BSG show, Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome. Crazy!

Sargeant Biffalot
Nov 24, 2006

Metrication posted:

The only good series of Skins was the first. The rest is awful and has become very formulaic. "Well it's the second series of this generation, which one are we giving a mental illness this time?"

You mean the first generation, first and second series right? The last four have been well put together but they seem to be based on the media perception of the show as about hosed up glamorous bipolar coke-snorting models, and take themselves way too seriously. Or rather- the serious bits in the first show were the bits where everything calmed down and the teen melodrama stuff got put in perspective, the last two have increasingly tried to take the teen angst stuff seriously. Though they got it right with the twins plotlines last season, and they probably will get some bits okay here - the bit with Minnie's dad was decent if heavy handed.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

James R posted:

Here's a random fact about Freddy, for you. The fella that played him in Skins is about to play William Adama in the new BSG show, Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome. Crazy!

Another BSG spinoff? Was Caprica a dream?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Szmitten posted:

Big Boss Blessed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UMTT1Fx0Bc

Last time Brian Blessed was in space he exploded

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Paperhouse posted:

checked it up on wiki, I assume they're talking about this

:stare:

also there were apparently Russian gangsters in the previous episode. Realism!

:psypop:

I'm so glad I quit on this series.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Tsaedje posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UMTT1Fx0Bc

Last time Brian Blessed was in space he exploded

What is that, Blake's Seven? Anyway the last time Brian Blessed was in space was Privateer 2 :colbert:

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Sargeant Biffalot posted:

You mean the first generation, first and second series right? The last four have been well put together but they seem to be based on the media perception of the show as about hosed up glamorous bipolar coke-snorting models, and take themselves way too seriously. Or rather- the serious bits in the first show were the bits where everything calmed down and the teen melodrama stuff got put in perspective, the last two have increasingly tried to take the teen angst stuff seriously. Though they got it right with the twins plotlines last season, and they probably will get some bits okay here - the bit with Minnie's dad was decent if heavy handed.

Yes. I didn't like the second series of the first generation though (can't remember why). The drug use in the latest series is pretty mad tbh. The amount coke around is pretty staggering, you would almost think you could buy it in a supermarket or something.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Metrication posted:

The only good series of Skins was the first. The rest is awful and has become very formulaic. "Well it's the second series of this generation, which one are we giving a mental illness this time?"

DigitalSkateboardTurdSpiffTextTrilbySwearingIndieRockCommunityPolicePoncePubLady

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Szmitten posted:

Big Boss Blessed.

That's Boss Nass.

Big Boss is... well, Metal Gear would have been a lot more bearable if the cutscenes were all voiced by Brian Blessed.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

METAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL GEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAR...?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I like it.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Sion posted:

That's Boss Nass.

Big Boss is... well, Metal Gear would have been a lot more bearable if the cutscenes were all voiced by Brian Blessed.

For some reason I thought it was Big Boss Nasa, which in retrospect is all kinds of weird :psyduck:

Trin Tragula posted:

METAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL GEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAR...?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

At least we got that image out of it.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
In Skinschat: Skins is dead. http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/mar/07/skins-axed-by-channel-4

quote:

E4's successful youth drama Skins is to end after next year's seventh series, Channel 4 has confirmed.

The final series to be broadcast in early 2013, with Channel 4 promising "a celebration of this truly iconic series".

Skins, created by father-and-son writers Bryan Elsley and Jamie Brittain and made by independent producer Company, was groundbreaking in its use of a team of young writers and a cast of actors often getting their first major TV break. The cast was also regularly changed from series to series.

The E4 drama was also innovative in its use of social media to market the show.

Skins debuted on E4 in January 2007 with 1.4 million viewers – at the time the digital channel's biggest ever audience for a UK-originated show other than Big Brother.

"Skins is a brilliant show which has defined a generation and will go down as a truly iconic, game-changing piece of television but after seven series it is time for E4 to make way for the next generation of the bold, the new and the innovative," a Channel 4 spokeswoman said.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
That's proper "end", right? Not the way how Big Brother "ended", I hope...

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
I assume it'll involve a reunion for the first cast.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
I'll say one thing for Skins, it actually had teenaged actors portraying teenaged characters, which was a breath of fresh air after US shows where everybody is twice the age of the characters they're portraying.

I should stress I still don't particularly like Skins and I'm glad it's ending, everything just went off the rails when Effy turned into some kind of bizarre succubus who unknowingly seduced everybody (and made everybody around her insane).

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Plucky Brit posted:

(and made everybody around her insane).

Including herself.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Plucky Brit posted:

I'll say one thing for Skins, it actually had teenaged actors portraying teenaged characters, which was a breath of fresh air after US shows where everybody is twice the age of the characters they're portraying.

Yeah, it is refreshing. Even Waterloo Road is guilty of it, I had it on in the background earlier, and two of the main students were clearly being played by adults (Each is 21, according to IMDB ), and they just looked out of place, like they were uni students at a school disco. At least in Skins, the young, stupid characters are at least played by the young (and possibly stupid, as we all were).

blaarghh
Nov 28, 2007

I stopped watching this series of Skins after they killed off Grace. First Chris, then Grace, what were they thinking? (I didn't give a poo poo about Freddie) I didn't really care about this generation at all. Frankie is annoying, Mini was sort of sympathetic at the end of the last series but now she's just terrible again. None of the characters stood out as being particularly likeable or interesting. I guess the writers just ran out of ideas.

Anyway I just caught up with Prisoners Wives, and I thought it was really good. A slow burner. I'd never really thought about what it's like for the prisoners' families to try and cope without them. Very bleak for the most part, especially seeing how the families often end up in a cycle of crime themselves.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
I'm super sorry guys but if you're not somewhere between year 9 and 18, what are you doing watching Skins? Of course you're not going to like newer series the same, because you're the characters aren't the same age or slightly older than you anymore. I was just on the far end of the cut-off point for the first series, now it's just senseless teenage drama that kids watch and wish they knew a coke dealer. I loved that Adam and Joe link, it's absolutely bang on.

Chris!
Dec 2, 2004

E
I really enjoyed watching Whitechapel, especially the last two episodes. It is so ludicrous, over the top and cliched but that's part of it's charm. Also what a downbeat and depressing ending, especially with this apparently being the last series.

I never thought I'd enjoy an ITV drama.

TheVertigoOfBliss
Jan 29, 2007
Did anybody watch Prisoners Wives?

Only just finished it tonight, thought it was really good.

The BBC is on a pretty good streak with its non period dramas at the minute.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
Granted I only saw the last five minutes of PW, but it entailed a woman staring blankly at Merlin (while pre-ordered water ran down her face from above), and I completely failed to think of any context where her blank stare was a correct reaction to whatever was happening.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

TheVertigoOfBliss posted:

Did anybody watch Prisoners Wives?

Only just finished it tonight, thought it was really good.

The BBC is on a pretty good streak with its non period dramas at the minute.

I actually loved Prisoners Wives. I thought it was a fantastic drama and I'm glad I decided to watch it along with Inside Men.

The last episode of PW was amazing. I didnt think someone from hollyoaks could act so well.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

I just found out that there was an episode of Doc Martin last year called "Boho with a Shotgun" :stare:

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Ohhh....just saw an advert for the new series of 'The Apprentice', starting March 21st. Realy enjoyed the SA thread on it for the last season. I'm looking forward to the snarkiness already :toot:

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.
Who's the idiot that keeps commissioning Niall Ferguson documentaries?

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Rondette posted:

Ohhh....just saw an advert for the new series of 'The Apprentice', starting March 21st. Realy enjoyed the SA thread on it for the last season. I'm looking forward to the snarkiness already :toot:

Back so soon? Hooray! :toot:

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

The Supreme Court posted:

Back so soon? Hooray! :toot:

I know! Huzzah!

Anyway, really enjoyed last night's Being Human, although I am at bit confused at how schizophrenic the writing seems to be. Last night was more like a comedy than anything (loved the 'quip' vampire), which was how I remember it from the first series. I wish it was more like that, rather than all this time-travelling nonsense (Having said that, do you think welsh blokes comment to Annie along the lines of 'What you have do to might be bad/you might not like it' was blatant foreshadowing that Annie is either going to have to kill the baby/or Hal?)

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Er, http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/commissioning/red-or-black-gets-second-spin/5039171.article

Broadcast posted:

Red or Black? gets second spin

ITV1 has commissioned a second series of Simon Cowell’s big-money roulette gameshow Red or Black? – ending months of rumours about the show’s return.

The Syco TV and ITV Studios co-production will return as a weekly Saturday night format and the central conceit of the show, in which someone stood to win £1m on the spin of a giant roulette wheel, has been scrapped.

An ITV spokesman would not comment on specific format changes and said further information about the show will be made available in “due course”.

Contestants will have to use “their judgement and skill” during different challenges, replacing the pure luck-based outcomes of the first series where participants progressed through rounds by guessing red or black correctly.

It means the show’s finale will be dramatically overhauled, disposing of the giant mechanical roulette wheel, which was housed at Fountain Studios.

If the money is not won, it will be rolled over to another week. The prize fund starts at £500,000 and could rise to £3.5 million - one of the biggest cash hauls available on UK television.

“One of the things I love most about this show is that it’s exciting, unpredictable, scary, and a bit nuts all in one,” said Cowell.

ITV’s director of television Peter Fincham added: “We have developed Red or Black? and built on what we did with the first series. The scale of the challenges will still be huge but this time around, contestants will have more control over their own destinies.”

Red or Black? was ordered by ITV’s director of comedy and entertainment Elaine Bedell and commissioning editor is Kate Maddigan.

It will be executive produced by Richard Cowles for ITVS and Syco’s Siobhan Greene and Nigel Hall. Sarah Harris is the series producer.

Although ITV would not comment on scheduling plans for the new run, Broadcast understands it will play out over two episodes (a main show and finale) every Saturday night, potentially over the course of eight weeks.

The recommission could be crucial to efforts to export the format as ITV and Syco have so far failed to secure a single notable sale. Buyers in the key territory of Australia have rejected the show, while ITV’s conversations with a major US network have gone quiet.

The first series of the show, hosted by Anthony McPartlin and Declan Donnelly, averaged a consolidated audience of 5.2 million (21%) over the seven nights it aired on ITV1 and ITV1 HD.

:suicide:

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

I knew someone who commented that "Red or Black makes 'Deal or No Deal' look like playing Bridge with Omar Sharif."

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

That was one of the worst tv shows I've ever seen. And I watched Fferm Ffactor.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Rondette posted:

Hell yeah!! I love the Apprentice crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
Christ, that guy was the Naruto headband is back on University Challenge.

And he knows things :argh:

Noreaus fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 12, 2012