Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Aerox posted:

Has anyone else had this problem?

I have legitimate copies of Mass Effect 1 and 2, and recently did a FemShep playthrough. No save file hacking/tweaking etc.

I cannot get Mass Effect 3 to see the saves, at all. I've tried copying them, moving them, renaming them, recreating folders. I even tried to boot up ME2, found out that Origin crashes ME2 if it was installed via steam, completely reinstalled ME2 through Origin, reinstalled all the DLC, and booted up my end-game ME2 save to create a new fresh save, and ME3 still won't recognize it.

Does ANYONE have a fix for this? It's driving me up the wall.
I had a lot of problems getting ME3 to see all my saves, as well.

I did what was suggested on the ME2 saves forum: Downloaded a valid save game folder from the forums there and then put it in my ME2 Save folder (the one ME2 created). Then, I deleted everything in the save folder and put the save game I wanted to use in there and it worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

DMBFan23 posted:

Readiness: this is the percentage of your GAW score that matters. Starts at 50%, if you raise it it decays 1% per day. I have heard you can raise it by doing N7a missions in single player (citation needed), also you can raise it by playing multiplayer.

Is this real days or in-game days (or however time is measured)? Because gently caress Bioware if they are punishing players that can't dedicate large chunks of time to their game.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

tadashi posted:

I had a lot of problems getting ME3 to see all my saves, as well.

I did what was suggested on the ME2 saves forum: Downloaded a valid save game folder from the forums there and then put it in my ME2 Save folder (the one ME2 created). Then, I deleted everything in the save folder and put the save game I wanted to use in there and it worked.

I tried that too. Still wouldn't show anything in the import screen :(

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
The game is a lot harder than ME2 was on Insanity. I must have died like 30 times already, and im maybe 5 hours in. The vanguard way of life. :shepface:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Charlie Mopps posted:

The game is a lot harder than ME2 was on Insanity. I must have died like 30 times already, and im maybe 5 hours in. The vanguard way of life. :shepface:

Vanguard got some small nerfs in ME3. Don't forget your ABC's: Always Be Charging.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Ornamented Death posted:

Is this real days or in-game days (or however time is measured)? Because gently caress Bioware if they are punishing players that can't dedicate large chunks of time to their game.

Real time days, but it never falls below 50%

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

ShineDog posted:

So because I can only play on weekends, I have to grind out this stuff each time I get on?

If that's the case than what the gently caress.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DMBFan23 posted:

Nah there are two numbers that matter which combine to produce the one number that really matters.

Galaxy at War: Do quests in singleplayer to raise this number. Also, you can get a class in multiplayer to level 20 and promote it to singleplayer, and it will add to your score.
Readiness: this is the percentage of your GAW score that matters. Starts at 50%, if you raise it it decays 1% per day. I have heard you can raise it by doing N7a missions in single player (citation needed), also you can raise it by playing multiplayer.

Effective Military Strength: GAW * Readiness, this is the number that you will bring with you into the final battle. This number, coupled with some in game actions, determines your ending.

So everyone saying multiplayer "matters" is right, but there is enough GAW score in singleplayer that even with 50% readiness you are not locked out of any ending based on GAW.

Does the game tell you what threshold you need to get the best ending? I saw "minimum" on that one bar, is that all? I always sperg out about things like this.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

tadashi posted:

Vanguard got some small nerfs in ME3. Don't forget your ABC's: Always Be Charging.

I was trying to figure out why it was taking me forever to charge.

Then I looked at my charge recharge time and it was something like 22 seconds :(

What is the better spec - 100% shields or 25% free charge?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

ShineDog posted:

Then the SP missions better give HUGE chunks of percentage points. I can't imagine I'm the only person playing this game that has a job and family and can't sit and play video games for 10+ hours a day anymore, and wiping out my progress because I can only do one mission a day or (god forbid!) go a few days without playing is complete and total bullshit.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I've been trying to avoid spoilers but I've just got to know: is the writing good, or at least better than DA2? Because in a game as story-driven as this it would be kind of a let down otherwise.

From what I've read so far in this thread most goons are leaning towards "It's good, but the ending kinda sucks." Does that sound about accurate?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

ShineDog posted:

So, playing a poo poo-load of multi-player before you do the final missions could really help since that should raise your Readiness score?

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!

tadashi posted:

Vanguard got some small nerfs in ME3.

my vanguard nerf had a first name, it's n-o-v-a
my vanguard nerf had a second name, it's n-o-v-a
wait a minute something isnt right here

ShineDog posted:

Someone in one of these threads said that after one session of MP they had like 76% readiness, so I don't think they're going to make us grind it TOO heavily

Ornamented Death posted:

Then the SP missions better give HUGE chunks of percentage points. I can't imagine I'm the only person playing this game that has a job and family and can't sit and play video games for 10+ hours a day anymore, and wiping out my progress because I can only do one mission a day or (god forbid!) go a few days without playing is complete and total bullshit.

your GAW score will NEVER lower, so even if you never touch MP or go months without playing, your progress will always be there and there's enough GAW in single player to potentially see all endings with the minimum 50% readiness. think of MP as a cheat code of sorts to accelerate things, not lack of MP as a gimping...if that makes sense

melon farmer fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 6, 2012

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Ornamented Death posted:

Whoa, whoa, easy. What decays is your Readiness Score. This is generated by playing multiplayer, and it's a multiplier on your single player score.

So stuff you generate from SP (your War Assets, at least) won't decay.

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 6, 2012

Macinirol
Sep 27, 2011

Ornamented Death posted:

You know you can still get the best ending with 50%, right?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

RONALD REAGAN posted:

Nope, didn't know that. Thanks!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Shadowhand00 posted:

Then I looked at my charge recharge time and it was something like 22 seconds :(

I like 100% shields on Insanity because it's a lot more reliable than 25% charge reset and you can usually roll around or hide for the 3 seconds it takes for your cooldown to come up again.

You are just using a Shotgun and Pistol, right?

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

RONALD REAGAN posted:

Good, I was getting upset. :(

What's the point of the decay (or even the value itself) if you can still get the ending without it?

I guess it just helps?

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Apologies if this was mentioned explicitly anywhere, I combed the thread and didn't see it:

Is Wrex dead if you start a new ME3 game without importing saves? If so I'll go through the trouble of converting one from PC to xbox.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Smelly posted:

What's the point of the decay (or even the value itself) if you can still get the ending without it?

I guess it just helps?

It makes it much easier.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Smelly posted:

I guess it just helps?

Yes, that is the point. It gives you room for error or can get you to the point of the best ending faster.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

bear is driving! posted:

Is Wrex dead if you start a new ME3 game without importing saves? If so I'll go through the trouble of converting one from PC to xbox.

Yes, of course.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Shadowhand00 posted:

Drop all your weapons except a pistol or perhaps a shotgun. The more weapons you carry the longer your powers take to recharge.

Charlie Brown
Oct 4, 2000

Infiltrates Your Skull

bear is driving! posted:

Apologies if this was mentioned explicitly anywhere, I combed the thread and didn't see it:

Yes :(

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Charlie Mopps posted:

Drop all your weapons except a pistol or perhaps a shotgun. The more weapons you carry the longer your powers take to recharge.

This I didn't realize. I will do that as soon as I get home from work tonight. I was wondering why I could constantly charge in the prelude but during the actual game, I was having trouble charging anywhere.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Are the DLC guns that you get for preordering on origin supposed to show up in the extra content screen? I can only see from Ashes.

Also what the hell, I had the game downloading overnight and I wake up to find it at 25% downloading at 90kb/sec. Steam usually gets 1mb/sec or higher, what a disappointment, now I have to wait another day.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nucular Carmul posted:

:staredog: Grunt :staredog:

:ohdear: Grunt :ohdear:

:cry: Grunt :cry:

:black101: Grunt :black101:

:911: Grunt :911:

:tviv: Grunt :tviv:

:dance: GRUNT! :dance:

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 6, 2012

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Starting with my imported Vanguard at level 32 on Mars I dropped everything but my shotgun and basically didn't need it for any of the fire fights. If something is too hot to charge (Ha!) you can pull people towards you and Liara can blow them up with Warp, thinning the herd or creating an opening to get to their back lines for a Nova. And I only play Insanity, for the record.

Jazzy Jones
May 25, 2008
Haha i love the user scores on metacritics and im just curious if im playing other game. In my personal rating game is good as ME2.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Smelly posted:

I guess it just helps?
I think the idea is that to get the best ending with the single-player alone, you have to play pretty much perfectly and do all the side missions and get all the War Assets you can to get your GAW score super high to offset the minimum 50% Readiness. Or you can do some multiplayer to get your Readiness up high to make up for not having a high GAW score. Readiness decays because apparently it doesn't take much time in multiplayer to boost your Readiness. You can also get War Assets in multiplayer as well: get a class to level 20 and they can be assigned as a War Asset. The class resets to level 1, you keep everything you've unlocked, and your N7 level stays the same so other players don't think you're a scrub when you join up with that level 1 character.

At least that's how I understand it. Multiplayer is optional, but doing it is a quick way to give you a larger margin for error in single player.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

Shadowhand00 posted:

This I didn't realize. I will do that as soon as I get home from work tonight. I was wondering why I could constantly charge in the prelude but during the actual game, I was having trouble charging anywhere.

This is the case for all biotics and all classes. This is why I found it so frustrating yesterday when I was watching the IGN stream, and the guy was playing a vanguard with both an AR and a pistol. He's gimping himself by doing it, since the AR isn't that useful to vanguards.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Stupid parts where there are like 5 or 6 engineers and turrets everywhere. :negative:

kater
Nov 16, 2010

kanonvandekempen posted:

Are the DLC guns that you get for preordering on origin supposed to show up in the extra content screen? I can only see from Ashes.

Also what the hell, I had the game downloading overnight and I wake up to find it at 25% downloading at 90kb/sec. Steam usually gets 1mb/sec or higher, what a disappointment, now I have to wait another day.

If it's any consolation, Origin greatly exaggerates your download speed and you aren't getting anywhere near that sweet 90gb!

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

thetrin posted:

This is the case for all biotics and all classes. This is why I found it so frustrating yesterday when I was watching the IGN stream, and the guy was playing a vanguard with both an AR and a pistol. He's gimping himself by doing it, since the AR isn't that useful to vanguards.
The demo was infuriating too because it just loads you down with weapons in the 2nd mission and you can't drop them. The worst part was that infiltrators didn't even get a sniper rifle, so some of the perks for the cloak skill were useless on top of cloak and incinerate taking forever to recharge. And I didn't know that "Hardcore" difficulty is the same as Insanity in ME2 so I was getting killed over and over because nothing worked like it should.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Oh God where the gently caress is Ashley I want to take her to Eden Prime to recruit the Prothean but she's vanished from the Citadel oh goddamnit Udina what have you done?!?!?

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I've been trying to avoid spoilers but I've just got to know: is the writing good, or at least better than DA2? Because in a game as story-driven as this it would be kind of a let down otherwise.

From what I've read so far in this thread most goons are leaning towards "It's good, but the ending kinda sucks." Does that sound about accurate?

They removed the neutral options mostly now since almost no one picks them except for their "MASS CASUALTIES" Run.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Charlie Mopps posted:

Stupid parts where there are like 5 or 6 engineers and turrets everywhere. :negative:

Can you hack turrets?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Fat_Cow posted:

Any trainers out yet so I can just spike my Readiness rating to max?

I think one's in the works, but I'm not 100% on that. I'm a bit interested in something like what we had with the Gibbed editor for ME2.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

kanonvandekempen posted:

I thought they'd be there too, but they're not. You have to go to the Normandy in game and either visit the cabin or the armory. Alternately, you can find your DLC guns on Mars if you pick up a gun and choose Change Loadout and cycle your options.

Out of curiousity, does it say anywhere in game if weapon types are better or worse against different defenses? I haven't found anything that specifies if the ME2 system of Heavy Pistols beat Armor or SMGs beat Shields is still in place.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunted by a freak
Sep 3, 2011

hunted by a freak posted:

Hey, uh, I skimmed the thread and didn't see anyone asking about the same thing so...

How do you scroll your email on PC? I'm guessing that the blinking arrow at the bottom means you have more messages, but I cannot figure out how to scroll and I can't delete any of my read messages either.

(Sorry if this is a dumb question, I stayed up really late to play this game.)

Still haven't figured it out. :smith:

• Locked thread