Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

gay for johnny deLOL BAT COUNTRY

big mean giraffe posted:

Like when you hit the search button from the desktop or use the search widget? Because mine still does that.

Yeah, the search button. Mine was just showing my recent call history until I unticked everything but Google in searchable items, now it does nothing until I start typing (and doesn't even show my recent searches then).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Kameleon posted:

Yeah, the search button. Mine was just showing my recent call history until I unticked everything but Google in searchable items, now it does nothing until I start typing (and doesn't even show my recent searches then).

Google is only Google search suggestions, so if that's all you have checked it's not going to show your history.

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

gay for johnny deLOL BAT COUNTRY

big mean giraffe posted:

Google is only Google search suggestions, so if that's all you have checked it's not going to show your history.

Sorted it out, needed to turn on Web History, just never needed to do that with the old version.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Ciabatta posted:

What are you using it on that you can't do these things? Are you on a very outdated version of the app?

No, I'm apparently just retarded. Still think that player's poo poo though. Yesterday I spent like 15 minutes fruitlessly hitting the "Refresh music" option trying to get it to show all the MP3s I'd uploaded the night before. And there's no way to edit the metadata of a song or delete songs without going to the webpage in a desktop browser.

Tadhg posted:

What are all the cool kids using to connect to IRC via Android? AndChat caught my eye, but I've like to hear the experiences of others.

Another vote for AndroIRC. It's very full-featured, and the only thing I don't like about it is sometimes it's not persistent enough in reconnecting dropped server connections when my wi-fi is flaking out. I even went ahead and paid for the no-ads version, even though I've never actually seen an ad in it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Does anyone know of a good (preferably free) app that will allow you to use a webcam as a sort of security cam while on wifi or 3g?

I have a wired webcam and a laptop I'd like to set up.

Thanks.

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

I'm maybe 80% certain you can set up orb to stream from your webcam. I remember it letting me use a tv tuner with a ps2 hooked up to it. That was kind of pointless though. The orb app isn't free, but you can connect to the orb website easily enough and watch it there.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Didn't see it posted, but TFS Shell is available now, although its pretty expensive. I tested it out earlier on my Note and it's actually pretty awesome once you figure out how to customize everything. It also runs quite a bit quicker than most launchers I've used. Had GoLauncher installed when I tested it. I have a feeling the price is going to change though, because I don't think anyone is going to pay that much for a custom launcher.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah what was it, 17 bucks?

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Yeah what was it, 17 bucks?

Yeah, it's $17, which is an odd number. I think it's probably worth $10, but that's pushing it. The customization is pretty neat though, and the animations are probably he best I've seen on any launcher.

Actually, if you hadn't heard of TFS before when they gave that demo back in November or whatever you'd probably run across it on the market and it think it were a scam. The wording for the description is horribly broken English and not very informative.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
TSF Launcher, actually. Here's the link if anyone is interested

Looks drat good but it's not ICS compatible and 17 dollars for a launcher? haha

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The removal of the 50MB barrier on the Market has finally arrived

quote:

The size of your APK file will still be limited to 50MB to ensure secure on-device storage, but you can now attach expansion files to your APK.

Each app can have two expansion files, each one up to 2GB, in whatever format you choose.

Android Market will host the files to save you the hassle and cost of file serving.

Users will see the total size of your app and all of the downloads before they install/purchase.

On most newer devices, when users download your app from Android Market, the expansion files will be downloaded automatically, and the refund period won’t start until the entire download completes. On older devices, your app will download the expansion files the first time it runs, via a downloader library which we’ve provided below.

What qualifies as a new device to Google though? Just the Galaxy Nexus and beyond?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

ThermoPhysical posted:

The removal of the 50MB barrier on the Market has finally arrived

What qualifies as a new device to Google though? Just the Galaxy Nexus and beyond?
Most implies at least a few models.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Somewhere around the SGS1 as old devices go I reckon. I know the SGS1 still had the 40-50mb limit on the phone itself as far as app downloads go, and it was eliminated by the time the SGS2 comes out.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

ThermoPhysical posted:

Does anyone know of a good (preferably free) app that will allow you to use a webcam as a sort of security cam while on wifi or 3g?

I have a wired webcam and a laptop I'd like to set up.

Thanks.

I use DroidCam X (the paid version). There's a trial, but there's a timelimit on how long you can use the application

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tornhelm posted:

Somewhere around the SGS1 as old devices go I reckon. I know the SGS1 still had the 40-50mb limit on the phone itself as far as app downloads go, and it was eliminated by the time the SGS2 comes out.
I think this is due to the download cache and I'm pretty sure getting around the limit would require loving around with the file system.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away
OK, I'm looking for the best SMS program to do chat style conversations with my iPhone friends. They send texts all the time to groups but I can't reply to everybody at once since when I do reply it always goes only to one person. I'm using the MIUI text program but I've had no luck with that. Can someone recommend a program to me that's like iMessage please? Thanks.

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006
This is a really lame question, but I'm on an old rear end mac (10.4) and I can't connect at all to my new droid incredible 2. Is there any way short of updating my OSX (im broke) to get music onto my phone?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Bulging Nipples posted:

This is a really lame question, but I'm on an old rear end mac (10.4) and I can't connect at all to my new droid incredible 2. Is there any way short of updating my OSX (im broke) to get music onto my phone?
If for some reason USB mass storage doesn't work on OSX 10.4, there's AirDroid. You could also share the folder you want on your Mac via SMB and use EStrong's File Explorer to navigate. You'll probably want to have your phone stay awake while charging because wifi file transfers drop to almost nothing when the screen turns off.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Swiftp runs an ftp server on your phone, it's how I do all my file moving.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Am I the only one that just uses Dropbox (with ES File Manager) for any phone -> computer or computer -> phone transfers? :shobon:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

Am I the only one that just uses Dropbox (with ES File Manager) for any phone -> computer or computer -> phone transfers? :shobon:
If you're already using EStrongs how is that easier or faster than just moving stuff across the network? Dropbox is slow for compared to wifi (by a lot).

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

No, you're not.

I originally downloaded dropbox for android because they were giving free extra space for those who use their camera auto-uploading feature. I don't know if they still do it - if they do, just get the dropbox app and record a long video of something to fill up your dropbox.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

LastInLine posted:

If you're already using EStrongs how is that easier or faster than just moving stuff across the network? Dropbox is slow for compared to wifi (by a lot).

I've never gotten it to work with network drives. :downs: Plus I'm on 4G and only 802.11g, so I think they're actually comparable.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Bulging Nipples posted:

Check that you have the right USB connection setting

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Undead Zombie posted:

No, you're not.

I originally downloaded dropbox for android because they were giving free extra space for those who use their camera auto-uploading feature. I don't know if they still do it - if they do, just get the dropbox app and record a long video of something to fill up your dropbox.

The best part about this feature is that the app has no way of knowing the origin of a file; I put a couple of Blu-Ray rips in my DCIM directory and Dropbox happily uploaded them and counted them as camera uploads. Easy and quick way to max out your space.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Goons running ICS, what launcher do you prefer? I'm using Nova right now and I took a look at Apex Launcher and it sounds pretty awesome. Completely free and looks comparable to the paid version of Nova.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

air- posted:

Goons running ICS, what launcher do you prefer? I'm using Nova right now and I took a look at Apex Launcher and it sounds pretty awesome. Completely free and looks comparable to the paid version of Nova.

You know I just tried out Apex and while the features are nice it never felt as smooth as Nova. Once I loaded up three screens with some widgets the FPS seemed to bottom the hell out, it was weird.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I'm running Nova Prime and like it enough. Needs another update to really get gestures 100% though. As for Apex, if you don't like paying for apps, go for it. The feature list is pretty much the same as Nova.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

air- posted:

I don't always run ICS, but when I do, I prefer Go launcher.

(Go with the ICS theme, I still don't like the widgets in app drawer thing and so many things go launcher has that trebuchet doesn't. haven't tried nova though.)

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Wagonburner posted:

(Go with the ICS theme, I still don't like the widgets in app drawer thing and so many things go launcher has that trebuchet doesn't. haven't tried nova though.)

I use Nova and Apex specifically because I like the Widgets in the drawer. I'm a sucker for eye candy and continuity.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

thisdude23 posted:

OK, I'm looking for the best SMS program to do chat style conversations with my iPhone friends. They send texts all the time to groups but I can't reply to everybody at once since when I do reply it always goes only to one person. I'm using the MIUI text program but I've had no luck with that. Can someone recommend a program to me that's like iMessage please? Thanks.

My friends and I use the standalone Facebook Messenger app a lot to group chat.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

XIII posted:

My friends and I use the standalone Facebook Messenger app a lot to group chat.

Yeah this app is awesome. Nice and clean, easy to use, NEVER had a problem getting updates pushed to it and it doesn't suck down battery.

Plus its for Android, iOS and Blackberry as well.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

thisdude23 posted:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.whatsapp&feature=top-free#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDIwNSwiY29tLndoYXRzYXBwIl0.

WhatsApp. Seems popular with my iPhone toting buddies.

Edit: Oh, you're specifically looking for SMS stuffs. In that case, no clue.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

LastInLine posted:

EStrongs wants to send ssh passwords in clear text for whatever retarded reason, which is disabled on most sanely configured ssh servers.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Wagonburner posted:

Same here. I tried out Nova Launcher but it seemed like there wasn't anything I couldn't already do with GO+ICS theme other than the widgets in the app drawer thing. Plus GO lets you rearrange apps in a folder, which I couldn't seem to figure out how to do on Nova.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Drifter287 posted:

Same here. I tried out Nova Launcher but it seemed like there wasn't anything I couldn't already do with GO+ICS theme other than the widgets in the app drawer thing. Plus GO lets you rearrange apps in a folder, which I couldn't seem to figure out how to do on Nova.

You do it by...dragging them around.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
So it looks like Google is basically renaming the Android market to "Google Play". I honestly think it's a good move since the Market now houses a bunch of non Android related things. Also, the ad they have for it is actually good. Google made a good ad. WTF?

https://play.google.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GdZxbmEHW7M

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

So it looks like Google is basically renaming the Android market to "Google Play". I honestly think it's a good move since the Market now houses a bunch of non Android related things. Also, the ad they have for it is actually good. Google made a good ad. WTF?

https://play.google.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GdZxbmEHW7M

To add to this, they'll also be pushing out an update to the Market app renaming it to "Play Store". It'll also rename Music, Books, and Movies to Play Music, Play Books, and Play Movies.

They're also redoing the Android Market badges (the "Download on Android Market" icons and whatnot) to "Get it on Google Play"

http://www.android.com/developers/branding.html#google_play

The update to phones is 2.2+ only and it starts rolling out today. Hopefully the APK is put online today too as updates for Market (Play Store now, I guess) are incredibly slow.

http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2012/03/introducing-google-play.html

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

big mean giraffe posted:

You do it by...dragging them around.

I tried that and it brought me back to the home screen so I could move the app there. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

ThermoPhysical posted:

To add to this, they'll also be pushing out an update to the Market app renaming it to "Play Store". It'll also rename Music, Books, and Movies to Play Music, Play Books, and Play Movies.

But why "Google Play" and not "Google Market"? Play makes no sense at all, and makes it seem like it's made for games, especially because of the the game-centric Xperia Play.

• Locked thread