Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

ThermoPhysical posted:

To add to this, they'll also be pushing out an update to the Market app renaming it to "Play Store". It'll also rename Music, Books, and Movies to Play Music, Play Books, and Play Movies.

They're also redoing the Android Market badges (the "Download on Android Market" icons and whatnot) to "Get it on Google Play"

Play books sounds so awkward next to play music and play movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
See, 'Market' wasn't descriptive enough, and was confusing our consumers. 'Play' obviously describes where to get your apps and music and books from.

What the gently caress are they smoking?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
They're smoking their way out of any future BS "App Market" lawsuits, probably.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Splizwarf posted:

They're smoking their way out of any future BS "App Market" lawsuits, probably.

I doubt it's this. It's Google wanting an iconic name like "iTunes". I'm not a huge fan of "Play" but at least it's something.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Didn't Amazon successfully get out of this already when Apple tried to take them down for "app store"?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I at least like that the Google Music site got a much needed color change because I wasn't really a fan of the orange everywhere (even though that's the color on the Market/Store).

The name is still weird especially considering the "Play Books" thing. I've never played a book in my life except for book on tape/CD.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ThermoPhysical posted:

The name is still weird especially considering the "Play Books" thing. I've never played a book in my life except for book on tape/CD.

Pop-up books, son. :colbert:

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
If hosting their books, movies and music storefronts on the 'Android Market' was a problem, why not just drop the 'Android' from the title?

Market -> Android
Market -> Music
(Google) Market -> Books

etc.

[edit] oh, and some apps are on sale or something

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Pop-up books, son. :colbert:

I forgot about those...but I think I only had one of those. And a Teddy Ruxpin which was book on cassette.

They also seem to have updated the icon for the Play series of apps as well. Obviously the Market's icon is new but the other three seem shinier or something.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
If they don't roll up the chrome Web store into this mess... Well, I'll chalk it up to Google being ridiculous again.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Including Shadowgun and Dead Space!

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Here's the sale.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/collection/promotion_2012_03_06_AppsFavorites

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
efb :argh:

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Naturally a day after I bought camera zoom fx. Eh, I can never really feel bad about supporting android devs.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Apparently, they'll be having a $.25 sale every day with Google Play. I'm assuming it's for apps, music, books, and movies.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Well, I'm looking forward to it. It can only be better than the current market app. Also I recommend Business Calendar, since it's currently on sale anyway.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What's the best QR code scanner app for Android? Or does it already come with the phone? I had an AT&T version of the app but it was dumb as hell and the QR Droid Private or whatever thing seems to be filled with ads.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I just use Google Goggles.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Drifter287 posted:

I just use Google Goggles.

But it takes so much longer to boot. I didn't realize it worked as a barcode scanner, that's cool.

\/\/\/ That, it's great.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 6, 2012

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Pollyanna posted:

What's the best QR code scanner app for Android? Or does it already come with the phone? I had an AT&T version of the app but it was dumb as hell and the QR Droid Private or whatever thing seems to be filled with ads.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...mFuZHJvaWQiXQ..

Longtime favorite. Quick, lightweight.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
MSecure Password Manager is on sale for 49 cents. It's obviously cheap enough to not really matter, but is it worth it? I haven't ever used a password manager and don't know how useful it is. I'd rather not get it just cause unless it's really useful.

NiVRaM88
May 19, 2009

thisdude23 posted:

OK, I'm looking for the best SMS program to do chat style conversations with my iPhone friends. They send texts all the time to groups but I can't reply to everybody at once since when I do reply it always goes only to one person. I'm using the MIUI text program but I've had no luck with that. Can someone recommend a program to me that's like iMessage please? Thanks.

Not sure if this exists yet. Looks like the new 4.0 version of Handcent is currently working on that feature though: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1500002

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
For those of you that use Pocket Cloud to RDP into computers, why is the whole screen dragable like this and is there a way to stop it?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

IT Guy posted:

For those of you that use Pocket Cloud to RDP into computers, why is the whole screen dragable like this and is there a way to stop it?

I think it is for (what it does for me anyway) so you can put the touch pointer on things like your icons in the system tray or scroll bars on a maximized browser and click them, or other things on screen edges. Where if you couldn't drag the screen around your touch pointer would need to be offscreen to click those edgy things.

I love my pocketcloud free I just hate editing the session each time I want to connect to something new. Anyone know something just as good and not crippled? Nothing that needs something server-side installed

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 6, 2012

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Wagonburner posted:

I love my pocketcloud free I just hate editing the session each time I want to connect to something new. Anyone know something just as good and not crippled? Nothing that needs something server-side installed

I had to purchase the pro version for NLA.

$15 was steep for personal use :(

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
I will have to live with this title since I am too cheap to buy a new one.
I there a way to hide certain apps from the drawer in ADW like how Launcher Pro used to do?

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
I have previously not spent any money on apps for my phone, but having picked up a couple of things in the sale (any recommendations?), I've suddenly realised what it is I need on my phone that I will happily fork out for.

I want my phone to check certain websites (using Google Reader subscriptions if necessary) and check for newly updated podcasts. I then want it to download any new ones directly onto the phone whenever I am in a Wifi zone I can access. This would save me so much time and hassle, that Mr Google can rip the money out of my cold dead hands for such a wonder app.

What is the app I need?

Fat Turkey fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 7, 2012

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I'm happy with BeyondPod - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.beyondpod

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

dissss posted:

I'm happy with BeyondPod - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.beyondpod

Pocket Casts also does this. Both are great apps.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 7, 2012

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

dissss posted:

A 7 day free trial sounds perfect. Thank you.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Oh yeah, I super like BeyondPod.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
How can you buy apps for someone else? I'm trying to buy Pocket League Story for my sister so I signed onto her account but it won't let me use my debit card to buy it since apparently it's tied to my account. Is there another way go around this without :filez:? I already bought the game for myself if that counts.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

i like tacos posted:

How can you buy apps for someone else? I'm trying to buy Pocket League Story for my sister so I signed onto her account but it won't let me use my debit card to buy it since apparently it's tied to my account. Is there another way go around this without :filez:? I already bought the game for myself if that counts.

You don't. Google needs to start thinking about new ways to feed money into their ecosystem. Like iTunes giftcards and gifting e-money.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 7, 2012

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

i like tacos posted:

Can you just put money into her Google Account? Does Google support using stuff like that in the Android Market yet?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Is there a way to de-purchase paid apps you'll never use or want again from either google or amazon so they don't show as purchased or not installed?

Amazon aotds and the 10c market sale months back have left me with a bunch of stuff showing like that that I didn't like/don't want. esp amazon and the "omg free!" crap aotds that sound good at 1st and make one mash the butan.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole

Maker Of Shoes posted:

You don't. Google needs to start thinking about new ways to feed money into their ecosystem. Like iTunes giftcards and gifting e-money.

Can we share accounts? If so how does that work? or can we do what mediaphage said?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
ADWlauncher EX is on sale, what features does it have over the version included with CM7?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

i like tacos posted:

Can we share accounts? If so how does that work? or can we do what mediaphage said?

You can add your account to market on her phone and download any of the apps you've paid for from there.

Might not work from a privacy standpoint though as it seems the second device will have access to your other account stuff like mail too.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Fat Turkey posted:

A 7 day free trial sounds perfect. Thank you.
Getting in on this trial as well. Seems like it does everything I want it to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
If this would be better for the general Android thread, please let me know:

I've used PocketCasts for quite a while, but lately I've run into an issue on my GNex that I had on my Evo 3D: when output through an AUX cord to my car stereo, the program will often stop playing without any input. I've turned off headphone/headset controls in PocketCasts, and have a program called headset blocker that does just that one thing, but it still happens. Does anyone have any idea what's causing this behavior and how I can stop it?

• Locked thread