Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
I made a cup of mayo following this recipe: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/10/two-minute-mayonnaise.html

It says it keeps for up to 2 weeks, butI put some chopped pickles, onion and herbs in it to make a sort of remoulade sauce. Does that make a difference?

Also, at first it didn't come together at all, it was just... eggy fat-soup. Some comments suggested adding the egg white and voila it instantly emulsified. How come?

PS a big thanks to dino. for his cleaning tips, kitchen never looked this good :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Is there any website or book or person or anything that explains varieties of rice? Specifically whenever I shop at my local Indian place there are like, 20 kinds of rice all with various names that don't mean anything to me (this list on Wikipedia is pretty representative, I think: I'm not sure about the specific names, because it's all Greek to me, but if I see hasan serai rice, joha rice, and patna rice for sale, I dunno what's up). 90% of the people who work at the store aren't Indian people so they can't really help me.

Sona Masuri rice is a medium grain rice that takes a little longer to cook than typical long grain rice, but retains a bit more of a firm bite, and tends to be more fluffy than typical long grain rice, because fewer of the grains tend to break up.

Ponni rice is a South Indian varietal that takes 3 parts water 1 part rice, and is favoured in Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, and Andhra Pradesh, because it gives you more rice (cooked) for less of the raw product. It works as well as Patna rice does in all cuisines of the South. You can add a titch more water than normal, so that it's a bit softer and mushier, for uses like with rasam, kootu, or sambhar, or you can add the exact amount of water, and end up with fluffy separate rice for mixed rice (coconut, tamarind, tomato, lemon, etc).

Patna rice is standard long grain white rice. It's long, fragrant, and beautiful. It's similar to, but prettier than (in my opinion) standard Carolina rice that you get in the USA.

The rest are pretty much variations on a theme: medium or long grain, and cook up nice. Generally, you're not going to go wrong by trying it out, and seeing where you go. Even red rice, which is ostensibly "as healthy" (all marketing lies) as brown rice (which it's not, but w/e) will cook up fat and chewy, and absolutely delicious. Sona masuri and ponni are particularly good for idli and dosa, because they tend to soak up a fair bit more liquid than American varietals, and tend to break down more thoroughly.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

dino. posted:

Sona Masuri rice is a medium grain rice that takes a little longer to cook than typical long grain rice, but retains a bit more of a firm bite, and tends to be more fluffy than typical long grain rice, because fewer of the grains tend to break up.

Ponni rice is a South Indian varietal that takes 3 parts water 1 part rice, and is favoured in Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, and Andhra Pradesh, because it gives you more rice (cooked) for less of the raw product. It works as well as Patna rice does in all cuisines of the South. You can add a titch more water than normal, so that it's a bit softer and mushier, for uses like with rasam, kootu, or sambhar, or you can add the exact amount of water, and end up with fluffy separate rice for mixed rice (coconut, tamarind, tomato, lemon, etc).

Patna rice is standard long grain white rice. It's long, fragrant, and beautiful. It's similar to, but prettier than (in my opinion) standard Carolina rice that you get in the USA.

The rest are pretty much variations on a theme: medium or long grain, and cook up nice. Generally, you're not going to go wrong by trying it out, and seeing where you go. Even red rice, which is ostensibly "as healthy" (all marketing lies) as brown rice (which it's not, but w/e) will cook up fat and chewy, and absolutely delicious. Sona masuri and ponni are particularly good for idli and dosa, because they tend to soak up a fair bit more liquid than American varietals, and tend to break down more thoroughly.

MY GIRLFRIEND made some acchapam the other day and they're pretty tasty -- she was on a whirlwind tour of south india for 6 weeks.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Okay a question:

I acquired some raw ham hocks recently, what should I do with them? Of course smoking them I suppose, but it would be kind of a pain to do here. Recipes and links to recipes are good, too :)

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Thanks dino! I think that covers most or all of the rice I saw. On this trip I bought a 10 lb bag of brown basmati rice from the cheapest brand they had, and it tastes pretty good, so I guess I'll just try one of each 10 lb bag of brown rice to see if I find a favorite.

And if I were eating ham hocks I would probably be making red beans and rice.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Turkeybone posted:

Okay a question:

I acquired some raw ham hocks recently, what should I do with them? Of course smoking them I suppose, but it would be kind of a pain to do here. Recipes and links to recipes are good, too :)

Pickle them and then make a ton of red beans and rice.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Biscuits are being made to use up buttermilk, and to use some of the honey I got.
Other than fried chicken, what should I eat with biscuits'n'honey? Fish is off the table because my roommate hates fish so... yeah.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Ham, roast pork, baked chicken, beans and greens, smoked sausage, beef stew, split pea soup, chicken soup, any other soup, any other meat, any other bean, any other thing really. They are biscuits they go with everything.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
Scramble an egg or two with some onions, peppers, some pork if you have it, then just split a biscuit, pile it on top, and attack it with your face.

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.
edit: d'oh moved to cast iron thread

Tin Foil
Aug 12, 2004
Any ideas on what I can do with some leftover red bean paste?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Serendipitaet posted:

I made a cup of mayo following this recipe: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/10/two-minute-mayonnaise.html

It says it keeps for up to 2 weeks, butI put some chopped pickles, onion and herbs in it to make a sort of remoulade sauce. Does that make a difference?

Also, at first it didn't come together at all, it was just... eggy fat-soup. Some comments suggested adding the egg white and voila it instantly emulsified. How come?

I can't speak to the emulsion myself, but the first and last time I tried making mayonaise, I had the same thing (oily, egg soup). For my take I probably messed up the streaming in the oil, and working it longer might have saved it.

As far as adding the pickles and onions and herbs, it probably won't effect the shelf life too badly, but the pungent odors could mask if it got funky. If you are paranoid like me, taste a little bit and see if it is off before using it whole hog.

Tin Foil posted:

Filled Dumplings. There are/were about three dumpling threads here recently, including a cook or die challenge. And convieniently the top of that OP has links to several generic recipes. Heed the challenge warning though; If you post there, be sure to submit your progress or face the chicken-ade
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3468651

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Turkeybone posted:

MY GIRLFRIEND made some acchapam the other day and they're pretty tasty -- she was on a whirlwind tour of south india for 6 weeks.
Kerala food is the best food evar. Even Indians agree, and they can't love on anyone but their own state. That's how awesome Kerala food is. I'm not even /from/ Kerala and I acknowledge their supremacy. <3 <3 <3 to Kerala.

@Serendip: I'm glad it turned out well for you! That oven cleaner stuff is freaking magic.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Tin Foil posted:

Do you have glutinous rice flour? You could make tong yuan. I believe there is a link in the Chinese food thread.

Or perhaps jing dui, the fried version of tong yuan. Warning: splatters.

Also:
http://belachan2.blogspot.com/2010/07/red-bean-mochi-cupcakes.html

That looks interesting. Never tried it. I don't like red bean, actually.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

I like turtles posted:

Biscuits are being made to use up buttermilk, and to use some of the honey I got.
Other than fried chicken, what should I eat with biscuits'n'honey? Fish is off the table because my roommate hates fish so... yeah.

Sausage gravy and biscuits. In a cast iron pan, crisp up a pound of crumbled sausage. Add a couple tablespoons of flour, cook for 2 min, add one cup butter milk, one cup regular milk and crack some black pepper. Cook until thickened, serve over biscuits.

Tin Foil
Aug 12, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

Filled Dumplings. There are/were about three dumpling threads here recently, including a cook or die challenge. And convieniently the top of that OP has links to several generic recipes. Heed the challenge warning though; If you post there, be sure to submit your progress or face the chicken-ade
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3468651

I noticed all the recipes were for savory dumplings. Would they still work with sweet bean paste?

squigadoo posted:

Do you have glutinous rice flour? You could make tong yuan. I believe there is a link in the Chinese food thread.

Or perhaps jing dui, the fried version of tong yuan. Warning: splatters.

Also:
http://belachan2.blogspot.com/2010/07/red-bean-mochi-cupcakes.html

That looks interesting. Never tried it. I don't like red bean, actually.

Unfortunately, I used up my rice flour to make red bean stuffed mochi :( The mochi cupcakes sound interesting though. I might buy some more flour and try it out. Thanks!

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Tomorrow, I need to make carnitas. I have cooked very little meat in my life, so I need a bit of an idiots guide to make sure I don't gently caress this up completely. This is what I understand so far. Please let me know where I'm going wrong, or feel free to give me recipes, tips, etc.

I know I need pork butt, which is a shoulder cut. The only thing I'm weary of is going into a butcher shop in London and telling them I need pork butt. What's the UK equivalent? I'm seeing 'bone-in shoulder of pork' is my best bet.

Assuming I buy 2 kilos, here was my thought process:

Cut my pork into 2-3 inch cubes and brown them in batches in an enamelled cast iron casserole.
Deglaze with juice from 2 oranges.
Toss pork with salt, pepper, mexican oregano (dried), cayenne, 6 garlic cloves, paprika and ground cumin.
Add pork back into dutch oven along with a few deseeded chilies, one onion (cut in half), 2 halved limes, a quartered orange and enough water to come halfway up the meat.
Bring to a simmer then put in the oven at 300F for 3 hours, stirring every 45min or so.
Remove meat and set aside. Discard onion and orange pieces. Place pot on burner and reduce cooking liquid.
Shred pork.
Toss pork in reduced liquid and spread onto baking sheet. Broil until crispy.

How far off am I? I don't know how much of the spices to put in, how long to cook it (and at what temp), whether to cut the meat or leave it on the bone, etc. Please help me!

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
In a probably misguided attempt to impress my girlfriends grandmother, I've been trying to make a Dutch pastry called Tompoes, which is thick custard between two layers of flattened puff pastry, with icing on top of it. The problem I'm having is I simply can't get the custard to be thick enough; as soon as I spoon it on to the pastry, it goes to liquid and drips off the sides, and I'm reaching my wit's end here.

Apparently this is because the bonds made by the flour and cornflour I've used as thickening agents are quite weak, and they start to break down once I start spooning out the cooled custard.

Online research as yielded the following ideas:

Use full milk instead of semi-skimmed.
Use cream instead of milk
Instead of using 3 egg yolks to 250ml milk, use 4, or use 2 egg yolks and one whole egg.
Melt a tablespoon of gelatin into water, and add it to the custard somehow. Either while it's thickening, or afterwards I guess.

Am I on the right track with any of these ideas? I'm thinking the gelatin has the best chance of working, but from what I've read, it shouldn't be necessary to make this kind of custard...

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 6, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

angor posted:

Tomorrow, I need to make carnitas. I have cooked very little meat in my life, so I need a bit of an idiots guide to make sure I don't gently caress this up completely. This is what I understand so far. Please let me know where I'm going wrong, or feel free to give me recipes, tips, etc.

I know I need pork butt, which is a shoulder cut. The only thing I'm weary of is going into a butcher shop in London and telling them I need pork butt. What's the UK equivalent? I'm seeing 'bone-in shoulder of pork' is my best bet.

Assuming I buy 2 kilos, here was my thought process:

Cut my pork into 2-3 inch cubes and brown them in batches in an enamelled cast iron casserole.
Deglaze with juice from 2 oranges.
Toss pork with salt, pepper, mexican oregano (dried), cayenne, 6 garlic cloves, paprika and ground cumin.
Add pork back into dutch oven along with a few deseeded chilies, one onion (cut in half), 2 halved limes, a quartered orange and enough water to come halfway up the meat.
Bring to a simmer then put in the oven at 300F for 3 hours, stirring every 45min or so.
Remove meat and set aside. Discard onion and orange pieces. Place pot on burner and reduce cooking liquid.
Shred pork.
Toss pork in reduced liquid and spread onto baking sheet. Broil until crispy.

How far off am I? I don't know how much of the spices to put in, how long to cook it (and at what temp), whether to cut the meat or leave it on the bone, etc. Please help me!

That will get you a close facsimile of carnitas, but they won't be "REAL" carnitas. The right way to carnita is to salt and season the meat in large but manageable pieces, but not bite size cubes, and let sit for overnight. Then you drain and transfer to a large pot, cover with lard, and simmer at around 100C for an hour or until flakingly tender. Then remove from the lard, shred, and crisp under a broiler or in a cast iron pan.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Gerblyn posted:

In a probably misguided attempt to impress my girlfriends grandmother, I've been trying to make a Dutch pastry called Tompoes, which is thick custard between two layers of flattened puff pastry, with icing on top of it. The problem I'm having is I simply can't get the custard to be thick enough; as soon as I spoon it on to the pastry, it goes to liquid and drips off the sides, and I'm reaching my wit's end here.

Apparently this is because the bonds made by the flour and cornflour I've used as thickening agents are quite weak, and they start to break down once I start spooning out the cooled custard.

Online research as yielded the following ideas:

Use full milk instead of semi-skimmed.
Use cream instead of milk
Instead of using 3 egg yolks to 250ml milk, use 4, or use 2 egg yolks and one whole egg.
Melt a tablespoon of gelatin into water, and add it to the custard somehow. Either while it's thickening, or afterwards I guess.

Am I on the right track with any of these ideas? I'm thinking the gelatin has the best chance of working, but from what I've read, it shouldn't be necessary to make this kind of custard...
I don't have recipes off-hand but look for pastry cream or Bavarian cream recipes. It could also be that you are not cooking your mixture long enough for the eggs to properly set, the starch is mainly there to keep the texture smooth.

Duckbill
Nov 7, 2008

Nice weather for it.
Grimey Drawer
I know there used to be a thread for questions like this, but it seems to have gone so...

I bought a packet of crystallised stem ginger. When I opened it there was a weird smell, almost like vinegar. I tried a piece of the ginger and it tastes pretty normal. What's going on with the smell in the bag? Is this OK for crystallised ginger? The sell-by date is January of next year.

Admiral Ballsack
Aug 13, 2009

There used to be a slow-cooker thread, but I can't find it anymore, so I'll post my question here:

I like using my slow cooker, but I'm a single guy and I don't need to cook that much food. It is ok to cut these recipes in half? If you've got a regular sized 6 quart cooker, does it matter if it's not full when cooking?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Duckbill posted:

I know there used to be a thread for questions like this, but it seems to have gone so...

I bought a packet of crystallised stem ginger. When I opened it there was a weird smell, almost like vinegar. I tried a piece of the ginger and it tastes pretty normal. What's going on with the smell in the bag? Is this OK for crystallised ginger? The sell-by date is January of next year.

Does the packaging show any holes, dents, marks, etc? Also, what sort of packaging is it? Thin plastic bag with a zip top, some kind of factory sealed package, metal tin? If it was anything but factory sealed, I would toss it and try again. If it tastes OK and doesn't expire until next year according to the package you are probably ok. But, be sure to check for any visible mold or other nasty tasting thing.

Admiral Ballsack posted:

There used to be a slow-cooker thread, but I can't find it anymore, so I'll post my question here:

I like using my slow cooker, but I'm a single guy and I don't need to cook that much food. It is ok to cut these recipes in half? If you've got a regular sized 6 quart cooker, does it matter if it's not full when cooking?

I think you'll be fine halving the recipes, but do you have something against leftovers? I can understand if you don't have freezer or fridge space, but depending on what you are cooking, it might be cheaper in the long run to buy and cook a full size meal and feed off leftovers for a week or so.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
Does anyone know how to make a good Tah Chin? My rice crust never turns out thick and crispy enough. I usually use a metal dish lined with wax paper and that gives me about an inch of the crust. Yesterday I tried a ceramic casserole dish and there was barely any crust after 2.5 hours of baking.

Duckbill
Nov 7, 2008

Nice weather for it.
Grimey Drawer

CzarChasm posted:

Does the packaging show any holes, dents, marks, etc? Also, what sort of packaging is it? Thin plastic bag with a zip top, some kind of factory sealed package, metal tin? If it was anything but factory sealed, I would toss it and try again. If it tastes OK and doesn't expire until next year according to the package you are probably ok. But, be sure to check for any visible mold or other nasty tasting thing.

Yeah, factory package from the supermarket and it was totally sealed until I opened it this morning. Thanks :)

hankor
May 7, 2009

The feast is not the most important meal of the day.
Breakfast is!
I have to cook for about 9 people tomorrow and finally had an epiphany on what to make for dessert without investing huge amounts of money, a fruit salad. My problem is that I want to serve it in a bowl made from banana.

A couple of years ago I saw Anthony Bourdain eat fruit out of a bowl made from fried banana and it looked delicious. The way I think it might work is to crush the bananas into a fine paste and add bread crumbs until it's thick enough retain a bowl form long enough for it to be submerged into the oil.

Does anyone have any experience with this or knows a recipe?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Beef stew tonight. The recipe calls for parsley. Do I use flat leaf or the garnish tree looking poo poo?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Ron Jeremy posted:

Beef stew tonight. The recipe calls for parsley. Do I use flat leaf or the garnish tree looking poo poo?

Doesn't matter in the slightest.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

Scientastic posted:

Doesn't matter in the slightest.

Curly parsley looks nicer when chopped, it takes up more volume

cooking_j
Jan 31, 2012

hankor posted:

I have to cook for about 9 people tomorrow and finally had an epiphany on what to make for dessert without investing huge amounts of money, a fruit salad. My problem is that I want to serve it in a bowl made from banana.

A couple of years ago I saw Anthony Bourdain eat fruit out of a bowl made from fried banana and it looked delicious. The way I think it might work is to crush the bananas into a fine paste and add bread crumbs until it's thick enough retain a bowl form long enough for it to be submerged into the oil.

I have a few ideas for you:
You could freeze the bananas and slice them very thinly on a mandoline length ways and then as they start to defrost weave them together. Shallow fry them for 4 minutes and then mould them in a stainless steel bowl. Then refry them for another 4 minutes.

Another thing you could try is making a banana tuile and moulding it in a stainless steel bowl right after removing them from the oven. You will want to make at least 2 times the amount you will need as many will break.

INGREDIENTS

(makes about 25)

250g peeled banana
63g caster sugar
63g pastry flour
METHOD

Mash the banana (but don't liquidize it). Add the sugar and flour. Beat thoroughly for about four minutes. Chill. Heat the oven to 200ºC, gas mark 6. Prepare baking sheets with Silpat mats or silicone paper. Spoon a heaped teaspoon of mixture on to the sheet. Spread it as finely as possible with a flexible spatula. You will get a maximum of six tuiles per baking tray. Bake for five minutes.

The tuiles are ready when they turn a flecked, café-au-lait colour. Take them from the oven, cool slightly and free them from the baking sheets with a palette knife.

I hope this helps a little bit. Also i must warn you if you are putting a simple syrup on your fruit salad the banana cup will get very soggy if you plate it more than 5 minutes before serving.

I wish you the best of luck!

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
The local store has a meal deal. Buy a chuck roast (3 lb or more) and get potatoes, carrots, onions and a few other things for free. This obviously is for a pot roast. My wife doesn't cook, so I was thinking I'd prep everything to go in the slow cooker tomorrow while I'm at work. Are there any pitfalls to marinating the roast in red wine vinegar, garlic, peppercorn and allspice berries overnight, and in a separate bag having the already pealed onion/carrot/potatoes? Then all she needs to do tomorrow is put everything in the slow cooker and turn it on.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

Phummus posted:

The local store has a meal deal. Buy a chuck roast (3 lb or more) and get potatoes, carrots, onions and a few other things for free. This obviously is for a pot roast. My wife doesn't cook, so I was thinking I'd prep everything to go in the slow cooker tomorrow while I'm at work. Are there any pitfalls to marinating the roast in red wine vinegar, garlic, peppercorn and allspice berries overnight, and in a separate bag having the already pealed onion/carrot/potatoes? Then all she needs to do tomorrow is put everything in the slow cooker and turn it on.

Refrigerate the peeled veggies in a bowl full of water and they'll be fine

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Cowcatcher posted:

Refrigerate the peeled veggies in a bowl full of water and they'll be fine
Tell her to not add the water to the crock pot.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

hankor posted:

Someone already provided a banana based option, but I saw something similar on Diners Drive ins and Dives, but they used plantains. Basically they took fairly thick slices of plaintains, flattened them, fried them for maybe a minute to make them pliable, and then put them in this press that made a "cup" out of the slices. It looksed like a golf ball at the end of a plank of wood, which was on a hinge and attached to another plank of wood with a recepticle for the ball. The cups were then fried to finish cooking.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

hankor posted:

By all means go for the gold and make your banana masterpiece!

But if it fails, you can carve cool poo poo out of pineapples, melons or coconuts.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I have about 3 pounds of frozen, uncooked kielbasa that was given to me by a family member. I've tried looking up kielbasa recipes but they all seem to call for smoked kielbasa, and the stuff I have is another beast entirely. A quick google search says it's called "Biala Kielbasa" and it looks like a large, grey lump with black speckles when it's boiled, which is what my family member does with the stuff.

Is there anything I can do with this besides boiling it up and eating it with kraut?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

A while back I over-reduced a pan of Guinness and brown sugar past the nice syrup I wanted and into stickjaw. It actually tasted amazing, even it it was challenging to eat. It got me thinking about Guinness caramels, so between now and St. Pat's I'm going to try and experiment my way into some soft Guinness-y caramels.

If I am successful, I will share my recipe. If not, I will share my hilarious mistakes. :)

NiVRaM88
May 19, 2009
Going to NYC this weekend and looking for some food recommendations. I've already read through the New New York thread in the A/T Travel forum, but wanted to double check here with some more serious foodies.

Here's whats on my radar currently:

Doughnut Plant
Magnolia Bakery - banana pudding (for the GF)
Forty Carrots - froyo (for the GF)
Russ & Daughters - bagel
Bouchon Bakery - macarons
Korilla Food Truck, if I can find them
Grimaldi's - I'd welcome other pizza ideas here. I went to Lombardi's last time and was a bit underwhelmed with the pizza and heavy tourist experience
Momofuku - considering one of his restaurants, any thoughts here?
Num Pang - Cambodian Sandwich
Pomme Frites
Shake Shack - went here last time, would welcome any other legit burger ideas (if it makes a difference my favorite "classic" burger to date is H&F in Atlanta)
Chicken and rice like its my job
Artichoke Pizza - when drunk
Boka - bonchon chicken
Calle Ocho - bottomless sangria brunch

Anything else crucial missing from my list? Was thinking about Crif's for hot dogs and the bar next door if we can get in. I went to Peter Luger's on my last trip.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

NiVRaM88 posted:

Going to NYC this weekend and looking for some food recommendations. I've already read through the New New York thread in the A/T Travel forum, but wanted to double check here with some more serious foodies.

Here's whats on my radar currently:

Doughnut Plant
Magnolia Bakery - banana pudding (for the GF)
Forty Carrots - froyo (for the GF)
Russ & Daughters - bagel
Bouchon Bakery - macarons
Korilla Food Truck, if I can find them
Grimaldi's - I'd welcome other pizza ideas here. I went to Lombardi's last time and was a bit underwhelmed with the pizza and heavy tourist experience
Momofuku - considering one of his restaurants, any thoughts here?
Num Pang - Cambodian Sandwich
Pomme Frites
Shake Shack - went here last time, would welcome any other legit burger ideas (if it makes a difference my favorite "classic" burger to date is H&F in Atlanta)
Chicken and rice like its my job
Artichoke Pizza - when drunk
Boka - bonchon chicken
Calle Ocho - bottomless sangria brunch

Anything else crucial missing from my list? Was thinking about Crif's for hot dogs and the bar next door if we can get in. I went to Peter Luger's on my last trip.

If you're doing Russ & Daughters and doughnut plant, you might as well hit up all the other LES usual suspects.

edit: err I dont mean to be vague but Im sure plenty have changed by now-- last time I went that included some sugarsweet sunshine bakery, il laboratorio del gelato, kossars bialys, and of course Katz's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Check out the Chip Shop while you're in NYC, also. There's also a super-fuckin-cute Italian place called Annie's Kitchen Aunt Suzie's! Both of these joints are in Park Slope. Oh, and Naruto Ramen. They might goof up your order, but it'll still be delicious.

http://chipshopnyc.com/
http://auntsuzie.com/
http://www.yelp.com/biz/naruto-ramen-brooklyn

And https://www.barcade.com is a total blast.

ugh i fuckin' miss nyc

scuz fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 7, 2012