Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

vote_no posted:

Don't follow your real-life instinct in real life, either.
Why wouldnt you steadily take your foot off the gas? What good is applying gas when you have oversteer? Im basing this on a rwd vehicle if it matters, since thats what 90% of the cars in GTA4 are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Cage posted:

Why wouldnt you steadily take your foot off the gas? What good is applying gas when you have oversteer? Im basing this on a rwd vehicle if it matters, since thats what 90% of the cars in GTA4 are.

I think he means most people's real life instincts are to take quick action now now now like slam on the brakes.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Cage posted:

You said, "just take your foot off the gas or apply light brakes." Adjusting the throttle downward (but never to 0%) and counter-steering is the way to correct oversteer in RWD. Taking your foot off the gas or braking will further reduce traction. In fact, in a FWD car you accelerate out of oversteer.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
The instinct label only applied to letting off the gas, not the brake thing. I just thought that might be a common stereotype so I mentioned it. My fault for not being clear though. Just wanted to point out how wonky the car physics can be.

Not that I dont find driving fun as hell still.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Just messed around with GTA 1 again. It's really just an arcade game, but I have to admit that Liberty City's layout is pretty amazing. San Andreas and Vice City are mostly 90 degree corners and uninteresting to drive in. I'll probably play skip GTA 2 for the time being and go to GTA 3 (love the Sentinel.)

Speaking of the older GTA games, Retro City Rampage looks pretty great and seem to add some combat variety to GTA 1 and 2 style gameplay. http://www.retrocityrampage.com/

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
I cannot play the top down GTA games any more because the driving where you can see 4ft in front of you is so bad.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

I cannot play the top down GTA games any more because the driving where you can see 4ft in front of you is so bad.

On PC GTA 1, enter debug mode by:

Enter the character selection screen. Then press [Delete], type porkcharsui and press [Enter].

Within the levels you can do:
Zoom out K
Alternate zoom out ]
Zoom in L
Alternate zoom in [

In this way, you can fix your view so you can actually see where you're going!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm tempted to get GTA IV vanilla for $20 and just use it to play with mods but I tried that with Skyrim after putting in 200 hours on the 360 and I hardly ever touch it. Are there enough mods to let you put in some serious driving time?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

blue squares posted:

I'm tempted to get GTA IV vanilla for $20 and just use it to play with mods but I tried that with Skyrim after putting in 200 hours on the 360 and I hardly ever touch it. Are there enough mods to let you put in some serious driving time?

For $20 and the hassle you have to go through to get a lot of the better ones (ICEnhancer) working, I'd say not really. I'd say wait till the next Steam sale and pick it up there for $5 or $10 instead.

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010
The one thing they had better bring back in V is the best character:

Fernando Martinez. :colbert:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

The games aren't too bad. I just can't play them because the map makes no sense for Liberty City. I drive around for five minutes thinking I'm getting somewhere and I end up back at the Brocklyn docks again. I was doing a mission and got busted and was brought all the way back to the first part of the map. I used to like messing around in GTA2, but the first GTA is unplayable if you haven't memorized the map of the city.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Install Gentoo posted:

On PC GTA 1, enter debug mode by:

Enter the character selection screen. Then press [Delete], type porkcharsui and press [Enter].

Within the levels you can do:
Zoom out K
Alternate zoom out ]
Zoom in L
Alternate zoom in [

In this way, you can fix your view so you can actually see where you're going!

This will make the game completely different. I used to hate not seeing where I was going as a kid then I looked up the cheats and tadaaa! one of them lets you zoom out! I found I could actually drive to a mission or whatever and not need 100000 different cars.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

MeinGott posted:

This will make the game completely different. I used to hate not seeing where I was going as a kid then I looked up the cheats and tadaaa! one of them lets you zoom out! I found I could actually drive to a mission or whatever and not need 100000 different cars.

I know right? It's even better when you're using the "modern" free re-releases and have the resolution bumped up like so:

And of course it zooms out even more when you're at speed.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 4, 2012

A British Nerd
Jan 18, 2012

Master of the Smurfs
Chuck Fan

Install Gentoo posted:

I know right? It's even better when you're using the "modern" free re-releases
snip

Where can I find these free re-releases?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

A British Nerd posted:

Where can I find these free re-releases?

http://www.rockstargames.com/classics/

You just need to tell Rockstar your email address and GTA 1, 2 and the unrelated game Wild Metal Country are free to download for Windows.

A British Nerd
Jan 18, 2012

Master of the Smurfs
Chuck Fan

Install Gentoo posted:

http://www.rockstargames.com/classics/

You just need to tell Rockstar your email address and GTA 1, 2 and the unrelated game Wild Metal Country are free to download for Windows.

Wow, thanks. Why would you buy them on Steam then? Are there any bonuses for purchasing?

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
How much is Episodes from Liberty City worth? For some reason they don't have it on their own on Steam so even when there's a sale going on the Complete Edition costs more than I paid for GTA4 years ago.

EDIT: VVVVV maybe it never was on sale separately from the complete edition, I can't remember exactly

BiggestOrangeTree fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 4, 2012

A British Nerd
Jan 18, 2012

Master of the Smurfs
Chuck Fan

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

How much is Episodes from Liberty City worth? For some reason they don't have it on their own on Steam so even when there's a sale going on the Complete Edition costs more than I paid for GTA4 years ago.

Are you sure?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

A British Nerd posted:

Wow, thanks. Why would you buy them on Steam then? Are there any bonuses for purchasing?

They're only available on Steam if you buy other games, I believe. At least, it used to be that you couldn't buy them individually on Steam.

Edit: yeah:

Buy Grand Theft Auto Classics $29.99

Includes 5 items: Grand Theft Auto 3, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Grand Theft Auto, Grand Theft Auto 2

Won't let you get them separate on Steam.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

edit: ^^^that.

A British Nerd posted:

You can't buy them individually. They're only on there so they can sell a "complete" GTA pack.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Himuro posted:

This is not true. The only gang that does this is the mafia in 3, which is admittedly bullshit, but saying you don't want gangs shooting at you at all just because of one gang out of many (Triads, Cartel, Diablos, Columbians, Haitians, Ballas, Los Vagos;etc) seems pretty asinine.

If anything, I want the next GTA to explore gangs further. I want a return to GTA2 and 3 era of gang warfare but it probably won't happen.

I want gang politicking and assassinations, dammit.

Some sort of time meter would be neat. Spend a certain amount of time in this gangs turf and they'll start shooting. Until the meter runs out, you'll be tailed by a dude or two.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Install Gentoo posted:

I know right? It's even better when you're using the "modern" free re-releases and have the resolution bumped up like so:

And of course it zooms out even more when you're at speed.

Yeah, gonna have to try this out, looks far more playable. Seeing these screenshots reminded me of the hours I wasted trying to swim in the first game though. If I remember right there were certain patches of water you could sort of skip across and you didn't drown, cue me trying to translate this across the loving ocean and failing constantly.

I also remember playing with the infinite ammo and all guns cheat but there was a mission where you had to pick up a flamethrower to continue the mission. The only problem was that I already had a flamethrower and I couldn't pick this one up because I always had 99 ammo.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Once again, this morning I was reminded of how great the radio stations were in the previous games and how I hope that GTAV will have more elaborate radio stations (and events).

What the radio stations in GTAIII and Vice City did, was having some NPCs appear. Maria called in to Laslow to check if Claude Speed might be gay (because he spends to much time with the boys), Tony calls because his mother doesn't respect him, Donald Love has these little "inspirational messages".

Vice City had fewer of these things, but at least Love Fist appeared. There might be others, but I can't remember.

San Andreas... I honestly don't know. Nothing except a few sketches from WCTR comes to mind.

Through these radio stations I felt like I was actually part of a larger world. The NPCs I met were not just for show, but they had their own lives and lived on, so to speak, in the world.

I want something like that in GTAV. If I work for some shady character, I want the news to sometimes speak of this notorious badguy. If I work for a giant corporation, they should advertise and appear everywhere.

Really, it was the radio that made the world feel "real" for me. The little commercial for the medieval fair in GTAIII, the constant reminder of the Pastor Richards Salvation Statue in Vice City...

Simply speaking, I want more than just different music stations. I want a kind of audio glue that binds the entire game together.

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

Iacen posted:

If I work for some shady character, I want the news to sometimes speak of this notorious badguy. If I work for a giant corporation, they should advertise and appear everywhere.

Simply speaking, I want more than just different music stations. I want a kind of audio glue that binds the entire game together.

I don't know if you've played Saints Row 2 or 3 but they do exactly this, including regular reports on your newsworthy activities (& those of your enemies), interviews with characters who appear in the story and ads for stores & services that you can actually use, with phone numbers that work on your in-game phone. Also in SR2 there are ads everywhere for existing stores and if you buy a franchise you can then see your customized character on billboards endorsing their products.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
GTAIV also had news reports regarding your exploits. Some news reports even foreshadowed future events and DLC. The game also had a lot of functional cellphone numbers.

I do think that GTAIV supplemented having characters show personality through the radio with the cellphone. We can debate the merits of the man-dates, but I did really like characters calling up to comment on missions, or Brucie telling you to watch Roman's gambling habit.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 6, 2012

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Iacen posted:

Once again, this morning I was reminded of how great the radio stations were in the previous games and how I hope that GTAV will have more elaborate radio stations (and events).

What the radio stations in GTAIII and Vice City did, was having some NPCs appear. Maria called in to Laslow to check if Claude Speed might be gay (because he spends to much time with the boys), Tony calls because his mother doesn't respect him, Donald Love has these little "inspirational messages".

Vice City had fewer of these things, but at least Love Fist appeared. There might be others, but I can't remember.

San Andreas... I honestly don't know. Nothing except a few sketches from WCTR comes to mind.

Through these radio stations I felt like I was actually part of a larger world. The NPCs I met were not just for show, but they had their own lives and lived on, so to speak, in the world.

I want something like that in GTAV. If I work for some shady character, I want the news to sometimes speak of this notorious badguy. If I work for a giant corporation, they should advertise and appear everywhere.

Really, it was the radio that made the world feel "real" for me. The little commercial for the medieval fair in GTAIII, the constant reminder of the Pastor Richards Salvation Statue in Vice City...

GTAIV had regular reports of your exploits but it's not the same as hearing about the Liberty Medival Fair or Pastor Richard demanding money.

I felt like you, those things made those games feel very real to me and are two of the major reasons I'm attached to those worlds. SA and IV in comparison, I'm not attached at all.

It probably helps that their talk radio stations were amazing.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Avril Lavigne posted:

I don't know if you've played Saints Row 2 or 3 but they do exactly this, including regular reports on your newsworthy activities (& those of your enemies), interviews with characters who appear in the story and ads for stores & services that you can actually use, with phone numbers that work on your in-game phone. Also in SR2 there are ads everywhere for existing stores and if you buy a franchise you can then see your customized character on billboards endorsing their products.

I know that Saint's Row 2 and 3 had those things, and I had them in mind while writing that. Though SR3 wasn't as good a game as SR2, the dry news broadcasts of your exploits were entertaining and even if they were brief, they helped pulling you into the game world (I refuse to use the word 'immersion', but drat it if it didn't work!)

Though GTAIV had all the different activities, I couldn't help feeling like they were only... windowdressings. Yeah, I know that this was the case in all the games, but it somehow felt soulless and just there because there ought to be something.
I'm rambling, I think, but I just can't get over how disappointed I actually were with GTAIV. The jump to the more serious style lost a great deal, I think.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Timeless Appeal posted:

GTAIV also had news reports regarding your exploits. Some news reports even foreshadowed future events and DLC. The game also had a lot of functional cellphone numbers.

I do think that GTAIV supplemented having characters show personality through the radio with the cellphone. We can debate the merits of the man-dates, but I did really like characters calling up to comment on missions, or Brucie telling you to watch Roman's gambling habit.

See I actually liked the whole cell phone bit too. Maybe mine was broken but I never got annoyed with repeated calls and like you said I enjoyed the commentary on the missions or current event as well

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

My only problem with the cell phone calls is that in some ways it became a lazy shorthand for plot development. Like, Roman's gambling addiction is a major tipping point for the entire story. All through the game Niko is complaining that Roman gambles all their money away. Yet aside from one of the very first missions in the game (which is just a tutorial to teach you how to drive), we never actually see anything about it. I mean, people call you and say "Hey Niko, Roman's gambling a bunch okay bye", but the game never shows us in any meaningful way.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Crappy Jack posted:

My only problem with the cell phone calls is that in some ways it became a lazy shorthand for plot development. Like, Roman's gambling addiction is a major tipping point for the entire story. All through the game Niko is complaining that Roman gambles all their money away. Yet aside from one of the very first missions in the game (which is just a tutorial to teach you how to drive), we never actually see anything about it. I mean, people call you and say "Hey Niko, Roman's gambling a bunch okay bye", but the game never shows us in any meaningful way.
Well, to be fair, his gambling is partially how he ended up getting his rear end kidnapped. I agree with what you're saying, but that's systematic of a larger issue in GTA IV.

My favorite use of the cellphone was actually in one Lost and the Damned mission. You can call Clay and Terry for back-up once you become president. Usually they just offer an additional set of guns. There's one mission towards the end where they actually set an ambush for some guys chasing you. You cannot call them and just handle the shooting on your bike, or you could meet them at the ambush and do some cover based shooting.

I'd really like to see that implemented more.

the_american_dream posted:

See I actually liked the whole cell phone bit too. Maybe mine was broken but I never got annoyed with repeated calls and like you said I enjoyed the commentary on the missions or current event as well
Yeah, people really don't call you all that often. I think in my current game, Roman has called me maybe four times and over two in-game months have passed. The one stupid thing they had was that you receive negative reputation for not going on the man-dates.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

Yeah, people really don't call you all that often. I think in my current game, Roman has called me maybe four times and over two in-game months have passed. The one stupid thing they had was that you receive negative reputation for not going on the man-dates.

If you accept the mandate then call back and cancel, you don't lose any standing.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
They did give you the option for backup if you spared Dwayne but yea it was implemented better in LandtD.

The cell causing the radio to buzz blew my mind in 08. I loved that detail

K-Flow
Nov 20, 2004

Does anyone here have experience getting SAAC to work on windows 7? I bought San Andreas and found how hard it is to configure my controller for it so I downgraded my version to 1.0 so I can get SAAC 1.2 to work. The SAAC program itself won't pop up when I click it but it runs in the background. I've done extensive googling about this and have tried pretty much everything (run in compatibility mode, run as admin, download dll's) and it still just stays in the task manager. Any help is really appreciated

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Alouicious posted:

If you accept the mandate then call back and cancel, you don't lose any standing.
I know, but it's a workaround that not a lot of people knew about. I think it stressed people out about the friend system. It made it feel like you were going to miss out on content if you didn't go to a virtual strip club for ten minutes of your life. Personally, I don't mind the mandates because I love a lot of what people think is very wrong with GTAIV. I can definitely see it being aggravating to go on two manddates with Dwayne and then get negative reputation because he calls you to go bowling while you're planning on meeting the city's head of organized crime, especially if you don't know the workaround.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

r1ngwthszzors posted:

Anyone with the PC version of GTAs before GTA 4 know if the xbox 360 controller works? The keyboard controls are bad, but on the bright side, I've learned to embrace my screwups for GTA and it's a lot more fun.

I know this is a few pages back but with a little tweaking you can get a decent setup going with some workarounds. I use keyboard and mouse on foot because the lock on isn't in the PC version and it's more accurate.

Vehicle controls are by the Xbox controller using joy2key to map bumpers, triggers and right analog stick to mouse movement (camera) with sensitivity tweaked.

The thing with the Xbox controller is that the triggers aren't buttons but +/- directions on an axis. So holding both gives no input as they cancel out. So you have to have a scheme where you never need both triggers at once.

I play all the GTA 3 games like this. Gives you the mouse accuracy for aiming and analogue steering, though it takes a little trial and error and wrangling another peripheral.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Himuro posted:

GTAIV had regular reports of your exploits but it's not the same as hearing about the Liberty Medival Fair or Pastor Richard demanding money.

I felt like you, those things made those games feel very real to me and are two of the major reasons I'm attached to those worlds. SA and IV in comparison, I'm not attached at all.

It probably helps that their talk radio stations were amazing.

SA had tons of that stuff. Big Smoke and Loc appearing on the public access station to talk about giving back to the community, radio hosts calling in or talking about eachother, those Clucking Bell advertisements, that conspiracy theorist guy and the wacky cult group that popped up occasionally.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Ah I remember Loc and Big Smoke being on the radio. That was hilarious.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Himuro posted:

Ah I remember Loc and Big Smoke being on the radio. That was hilarious.

the best was when Lazlow interviewed OG Loc (and started off by calling him "ogg lock")

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Posting this from the Playstation Vita thread:

Apparently Play.com has listed some new PS Vita games, and besides some nice RPG and such, there were something that really caught my eye:

A return to Vice City has been very high on my personal wishlist, so if this is in fact true, then the prospect of returning to the glittery, pink days of the careless and silly 80's makes me a happy dude indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
^^ Interesting! I'm not gunna get my hopes up just yet though, it might be a pack of Vice City original + Stories from the PSP. It would be kinda typical of Sony to launch a new console with games ported from the console it's replacing :v:

Cliff Racer posted:

SA had tons of that stuff. Big Smoke and Loc appearing on the public access station to talk about giving back to the community, radio hosts calling in or talking about eachother, those Clucking Bell advertisements, that conspiracy theorist guy and the wacky cult group that popped up occasionally.

There's a shitload of radio stories about your (mission-based) exploits as well. Off-hand, I think the radio mentions stuff like burning down Truth's marijuana crop, that mission where you stealth kill everyone on a boat in San Fierro, the jet dogfighting mission, the casino heist, Tenpenny's fate and a whole bunch of other poo poo that I'm forgetting.

In fact I think even Vice City had a couple of news bulletins on the radio as well.

• Locked thread