Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Turn it up to 11 - Hone is headlining the Newtown Community Centre this Tuesday night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miss_chaos
Apr 7, 2006

Vagabundo posted:

National's declining support has seemingly steadied, but Labour are gaining. I guess, despite the criticisms of Shearer in here, there may be something about his leadership that's resonating with people, or the people driven away by National's are turning to him. The Greens and NZ First are generally holding steady, staying on the threshold in the case of NZF, or being well above it in the case of the Greens. United Future and Mana don't even rate, as their presence is by virtue of electorate seats and ACT might as well not even be there with 0.5% - that represents a 50% drop in their support from the last poll, by the way. The Maori Party continues to be the biggest coalition partner and their support is currently holding steady as well - although this may be a reflection of their constituency waiting to see how they move on the Article 9 issues.

This was posted at Dim-Post and it's worth thinking about - Labour's gaining, Greens are holding steady and National are showing signs of a very fast decline and this morning's article about farmers being turned off by them could be some cause for concern.

I think it's probably too early to say Shearer is "resonating" per se - he hasn't exactly done anything of note yet and has been noticably absent on the biggest political issue for the left - the POA dispute. And the Nats have gotten stuck straight into the heavy stuff that's likely to ruffle feathers. It will be interesting to see how the polls react to Shearer's proposals that he's hinting at in his big speech, which must be coming up about this week. Labour is probably benefiting from staying quiet for a while and letting National take the hits. I think a couple of months after the Budget we'll have a firmer idea of what polls will be. A lot will depend on how well Shearer responds to the Budget, and also how disciplined Labour is. Labour's tendency to go off the deep end and scream like a bunch of banshees for no apparent reason is a large part of why they struggled last year. Just when they are getting traction on major issues, someone goes completely off the deep end.

As for farmers looking to vote elsewhere, I'm really not sure where else they would go. They always grumble but nothing really changes in the rural seats. I think Nats would be more worried about centrist women than the hardcore bedrock farmer vote.

miss_chaos fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 4, 2012

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I don't think the farmers would vote for another party instead of National, however I could see the donations drop off and a few would stay home on election day as a result.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

miss_chaos posted:

I think it's probably too early to say Shearer is "resonating" per se - he hasn't exactly done anything of note yet and has been noticably absent on the biggest political issue for the left - the POA dispute.

The fact that there's been a considerable lift in Labour support suggests that there is something there. One possibility is that some of the soft-National voters and disillusioned farmers might well be attracted towards Labour's own rhetoric on the matter. We are still hearing "tenants in your own country" and so on from them after all.

miss_chaos posted:

And the Nats have gotten stuck straight into the heavy stuff that's likely to ruffle feathers.

The issue is that he's been utterly ham-handed about it and it represents a departure from the previous three years, where controversial legislation was rammed through via urgency, with little actual debate over it. Now that the Crafar farm sales have hit a snag, it's also ended up tying into an issue that has been problematic for the Nats. Some of the feathers being ruffled also happen to belong to their biggest coalition partners, who also happen to have anything resembling a constituency outside of one electorate as well. Right now, they're doing a great job looking dysfunctional, with the largest coalition partner ready to walk and the other two basically being seen as the right-wing equivalent of the Progressive Coalition Party.

miss_chaos posted:

It will be interesting to see how the polls react to Shearer's proposals that he's hinting at in his big speech, which must be coming up about this week. Labour is probably benefiting from staying quiet for a while and letting National take the hits. I think a couple of months after the Budget we'll have a firmer idea of what polls will be. A lot will depend on how well Shearer responds to the Budget, and also how disciplined Labour is. Labour's tendency to go off the deep end and scream like a bunch of banshees for no apparent reason is a large part of why they struggled last year. Just when they are getting traction on major issues, someone goes completely off the deep end.

There's probably an element of that in why they've picked up a solid chunk of support in the last few months. Remember, he's also worked well with his potential coalition partners, appearing on TV side-by-side with Peters and is also now participating in fund raising for leukaemia research with Russell Norman. When looking at the questions asked in Parliament, there's a lot of double and triple teaming going on by Labour, NZF and the Greens as well, creating the picture of a more united and cohesive opposition, while the government and its coalition partners appear to be tearing themselves apart.

miss_chaos posted:

As for farmers looking to vote elsewhere, I'm really not sure where else they would go. They always grumble but nothing really changes in the rural seats. I think Nats would be more worried about centrist women than the hardcore bedrock farmer vote.

Like I said, in all likelihood, if they go through with their threats to not vote for National out of spite, the majority will probably be stay-at-home voters. Labour might get a few spite votes, but it's not likely they'll be getting a rural National electorate seat in 2014. Winston Peters might make a play for those votes that maybe could give him a percent or two towards the party vote but who knows.

Varkk posted:

I don't think the farmers would vote for another party instead of National, however I could see the donations drop off and a few would stay home on election day as a result.

Absolutely. If there are any spite votes towards Labour, they will probably be absolutely minimal. If the prospect of foreign ownership does drive National voters away from them, they might respond well to Winston's dogwhistle politics, but the majority will probably be at home, scowling at the TV. It won't hurt the opposition to see National lose votes anyway, even if they don't gain them.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Mar 4, 2012

Lemonus
Apr 25, 2005

Return dignity to the art of loafing.
NZFirst is actually doing a boss job of being opposition. Bringing the heat much more than Labour tbqh.

Its all downhill here for National anyways.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Lemonus posted:

NZFirst is actually doing a boss job of being opposition.

It's what Winnie does best (be a dick to people and call them out on poo poo while being Teflon as poo poo)

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

In immigration news...

quote:

Plan to favour wealthy immigrants
By Lincoln Tan
5:30 AM Monday Mar 5, 2012

Poor migrants who speak little or no English are to be subject to stricter immigration laws under a review that will create a "two-tier" system to favour the wealthy, a leaked Cabinet paper shows.

Immigration categories are to be changed in an effort to "reduce the number of unskilled migrants who find it difficult to get jobs and are more likely to get benefit payments".

Applications from parents seeking residency to be with children already in New Zealand will be placed in the slow processing lane if their children-sponsors are not "high-income" people.

Parents will no longer be able to bring in dependent children and applicants who are poor in English will be required to pre-pay for language lessons.

The changes are outlined in a Cabinet paper obtained by the Labour Party, which says the plan creates a divide between the rich and famous and ordinary migrants wanting to move to New Zealand.

The paper, titled "Issues and decisions for the first 100 days - Immigration" is directed at the new Immigration Minister Nathan Guy and Associate Minister Kate Wilkinson, and shows the decision to make changes to family categories was made by the Cabinet last May.

It says that under "a new two-tier process", applications from parents who are sponsored by higher-income sponsors, or who bring guaranteed income or funds, will be processed more quickly than those from other parents.

"Tier-one parents will be eligible regardless of what country their other adult children live in, while the criteria for tier-two parents will be tightened so that only those who had no adult children living in their home country will be eligible."

The paper does not say how the wealth of parent sponsors will be assessed.

The sibling and adult category will be closed soon after the Department of Labour - which oversees Immigration NZ - provides further details on implementation and changes to the parent category to be introduced from July, the paper says.

The changes are aimed at reducing costs incurred through the benefit system and to attract and retain skilled and productive migrants, it says.

Last year, 36 per cent (or 14,826) of all New Zealand residence approvals were family-sponsored migrants.

Of these, 4036 were approved under the parent policy and 1186 under the sibling and adult child category.

China and India have been the main source countries for immigrants under the two categories in the past three years.

Labour's immigration spokeswoman, Darien Fenton, said the proposed changes showed National's true values - that "money is all that matters".

"This will come as a shock for the thousands of people in New Zealand looking to reunite their families, especially given the special treatment handed out to millionaires such as Kim Dotcom," she said.

"We are becoming a country where only those with money are welcome."

Immigration expert Paul Spoonley said some of the proposed changes, such as stopping parents bringing in dependent children "seem harsh and unusual".

A spokesman for Mr Guy said the minister was unavailable for comment yesterday, but would "get on to this" today.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/news/article.cfm?c_id=280&objectid=10789882

miss_chaos
Apr 7, 2006
I think there's a difference between only focusing on "rich people" like Fenton says and expecting migrants to have skills that will help them get a job here or evidence they can be supported by those sponsoring them. That's pretty much as per for most Westernised countries. The reality is, NZ simply doesn't have enough low skilled jobs to support large numbers of unskilled migrants anymore - particularly as it recovers from a recession where those jobs were hardest hit. I definitely don't agree with the dependent children part though, that seems unnecessarily harsh.

I'm currently trying to get a UK work visa where they have a 2 Tier system, and have worked in the US and a couple of other countries where getting a visa is simply a nightmare even as a skilled worker. They basically want an absolute guarantee you won't need state support and even then it's really difficult.

Snafe
Oct 5, 2010

Is it secret, is it Snafe?

SATURNS SON EATER posted:

It's what Winnie does best (be a dick to people and call them out on poo poo while being Teflon as poo poo)

You pretty much hit the nail on the head with that one.

It should be interesting to watch National argue against/deflect Winnie, and the Maori Party do the same with Hone it will keep them all on there toes.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

miss_chaos posted:

I think there's a difference between only focusing on "rich people" like Fenton says and expecting migrants to have skills that will help them get a job here or evidence they can be supported by those sponsoring them. That's pretty much as per for most Westernised countries. The reality is, NZ simply doesn't have enough low skilled jobs to support large numbers of unskilled migrants anymore - particularly as it recovers from a recession where those jobs were hardest hit. I definitely don't agree with the dependent children part though, that seems unnecessarily harsh.

Do you know what the status quo is? We already keep out the teeming hordes.

quote:

Skilled Migrant Category
The Skilled Migrant Category (SMC) offers you the opportunity to move to New Zealand to work and live permanently.
Who can apply?
To be eligible for residence under SMC you must:
be 55 or under
be healthy
be of good character
speak English.
To decide if you can apply we use a points system. You get points for age, experience, employability and qualifications.

dusty fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Mar 5, 2012

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I love it when the first line of an article uses a pejorative to describe the subject, thus setting a certain tone for the rest of the article http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/6534323/Public-servants-plan-to-bite-back-against-cuts

Stuff could be so much better if it didn't try that kind of folksy bullshit. Or maybe it's just me?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I think it's funny how I told a bunch of pro-state asset sales types that the government wouldn't give a gently caress who bought the shares and that most 'average' kiwis can't afford shares normally let alone in a recession.

Oh hey, look what's going to happen. :suicide:

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Red_Fred posted:

I think it's funny how I told a bunch of pro-state asset sales types that the government wouldn't give a gently caress who bought the shares and that most 'average' kiwis can't afford shares normally let alone in a recession.

Oh hey, look what's going to happen. :suicide:

Govt should make a purely voluntary kiwisaver-esque thing where I can give them smaller amounts of money to invest because I can't afford Gareth Morgan's buy-in, and then they could use that money to "buy" me some SOE.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Welp, we've probably seen what a lot of us saw coming from miles away - The Maori Party has pretty much hanged itself by more or less getting on board with the asset sales.

miss_chaos
Apr 7, 2006
Speaking of hanging themselves.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/6536688/Ports-of-Auckland-wharfies-made-redundant

The 300 wharfies got made redundant. Will the Maritime Union recover from this?

miss_chaos fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 6, 2012

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

They didn't hang themselves, they got busted while Shearer and Brown sat on their hands.

Kt88
Aug 15, 2003

miss_chaos posted:

Speaking of hanging themselves.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/6536688/Ports-of-Auckland-wharfies-made-redundant

The 300 wharfies got made redundant. Will the Maritime Union recover from this?

Unfortunately the Ports seem to have won the PR war. The Union and/or the media never really got the point across to the average Joe Bloggs that the Union wasnt being greedy, they simply did not want their work casualised (if I remember right, the Union were even willing to be paid LESS so long as work hours were guaranteed).

NO working person in NZ would be happy having their guaranteed full time work turned into casual work, yet most of the NZ public seem to be pro-Ports of Auckland (see poll on nzherald front page).

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

This was what I was talking about earlier - the ports did an amazing job of making the unionists look like a bunch of greedy fucks. It is close to loving criminal that the newspapers swallowed this bullshit without actually looking into what the real dispute was about - as has been said the wharfies would have accepted less money if it meant that they had a solid job.

The media should be ashamed of themselves.
Someone posted earlier mocking me for being surprised that the media took the side of the big business, but I stand by what I said - since when did the media just swallow the company line without even bothering to look into it, and why is this considered even remotely acceptable?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Im an Australian having a bit of an argument with a Kiwi who is banging on about how relations with the indigenous population are much more advanced over there. Is there a resource online where I can find out more about whats going on in New Zealand?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Frogmanv2 posted:

Im an Australian having a bit of an argument with a Kiwi who is banging on about how relations with the indigenous population are much more advanced over there. Is there a resource online where I can find out more about whats going on in New Zealand?

That seems like a pretty subjective claim. I mean, we didn't bury infants up to the neck then play football with their heads but we're hardly a frictionless unit.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Dead Alice posted:

That seems like a pretty subjective claim. I mean, we didn't bury infants up to the neck then play football with their heads but we're hardly a frictionless unit.

I know. I just have no basis of knowledge to work from.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Frogmanv2 posted:

I know. I just have no basis of knowledge to work from.

Then why are you arguing with him?

http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/ looks somewhat comprehensive, just start clicking through the various categories, Culture & Society, Politics & Government etc.

Also your friend is more or less right, the history of indigenous relations in NZ is probably one of the best in the world. But that's also damning it with faint praise.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

NZAmoeba posted:

Then why are you arguing with him?

http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/ looks somewhat comprehensive, just start clicking through the various categories, Culture & Society, Politics & Government etc.

Also your friend is more or less right, the history of indigenous relations in NZ is probably one of the best in the world. But that's also damning it with faint praise.

Because the guy is a right wing cockhead that I want to take down a couple of pegs, and he is by no means my friend. I can usually show that he is full of poo poo on most issues, but I just dont have the knowledge on this one. Thanks for the link.

Mister Panos
Jan 26, 2011

If he thinks that indigenous relations are better in Australia than New Zealand then :lol: cause has he been living under a rock/in a basement?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

We all have alcoholism problems together!

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

hairypanis posted:

If he thinks that indigenous relations are better in Australia than New Zealand then :lol: cause has he been living under a rock/in a basement?

No, he is arguing that they are better in NZ. I just had no way of knowing if he was full of it and arguing dishonestly or not.

Edit : I suppose I should clarify that I dont think indigenous relations are good in Australia. I just wanted to know what they were like in NZ.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
He's right, unless he's arguing that "therefore they have no reason to complain", then he's an idiot.

Mister Panos
Jan 26, 2011

Ugggggh the kind of person who would argue that 'our darkies were treated better than yours' is probably not worth anyone's time.

miss_chaos
Apr 7, 2006

Two Finger posted:

This was what I was talking about earlier - the ports did an amazing job of making the unionists look like a bunch of greedy fucks. It is close to loving criminal that the newspapers swallowed this bullshit without actually looking into what the real dispute was about - as has been said the wharfies would have accepted less money if it meant that they had a solid job.

The media should be ashamed of themselves.
Someone posted earlier mocking me for being surprised that the media took the side of the big business, but I stand by what I said - since when did the media just swallow the company line without even bothering to look into it, and why is this considered even remotely acceptable?

The unions should have had much better public relations than they did for such an enormous dispute. They should have hired someone decent who could fight their arguments for them in the press. Grizzled wharfie union reps aren't public communications experts, they don't know what the media wants or needs. They should have focused on the negotiations and let someone who was experienced do the press work. The union completely failed to sell their factually reasonable position to the public. The newspapers reported what the Ports were saying because the Ports had communications people who knew their poo poo - they had fresh stories for the media every day, thus keeping their point of view in the news. They gave material to Whaleoil almost every day. They had fact sheets and legal opinions and god knows what else they were releasing daily. They fought hard to get the information out there to news organisations to came asking for it. The union had none of that.

The wharfies were way too disorganised on the PR front to fight the Ports on PR, which is a problem with a number of the old school unions. They simply don't know how to bring the public around to their message because it seems so obvious to them, so it should be to the public. That's just not how it's done these days. PPTA is another example of people with a good cause being unable to get traction with the public because their own PR is so terrible.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Minor derail, but seeing both Australasia threads next to each other in the D&D forum listing -- did you guys agree together to use the American South (Confederate) thread icon? It just seems a little odd. :raise:

Pozzo
Nov 4, 2009

What is like posting in a thread?
A Ballista, that's what!

Dead Alice posted:

That's the thing, we didn't do that but I'm pretty sure the Aussies did

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

NZAmoeba posted:

He's right, unless he's arguing that "therefore they have no reason to complain", then he's an idiot.

Oh he is an idiot, but not for this argument, unfortunately.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

miss_chaos posted:

they don't know what the media wants or needs.

I guess I look at this the wrong way with today's media, but I feel the media's role should be to talk to them and do the investigation and find out what their grievances are and report on that, rather than basically parroting whatever they're told by a PR firm.

What's that old saying? Oh yes... investigative journalism is dead.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Two Finger posted:

It's easier to say "PoA representatives say..." and the like; no investigation required and no chance of being done for slander/libel because you're reporting someone's statement.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Not to mention the writers for NZ newspapers generally write terribly, and almost always inject their own personal feelings and opinions into stories where it's not appropriate at all.
There was a good post on the Auckland Transport Blog where it was super-obvious how the writer of a Herald article felt about urban-density, and the editor was idiotic enough to let it run.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Two Finger posted:

I guess I look at this the wrong way with today's media, but I feel the media's role should be to talk to them and do the investigation and find out what their grievances are and report on that, rather than basically parroting whatever they're told by a PR firm.

Have you seen how a newspaper or other news organisation is run? The paper's size is based on the ads sold, not on how much newsworthy stuff has happened. Basically the news articles are just filler between the ads. As a result the journalists are run at a bare minimum with daily requirements for certain numbers of stories of a certain number of words. So if they can fill most of that quota just regurgitating a press release that came accross their desk then they will. Also proper investigative reporting might lead to a story which puts a major advertiser in a bad light so you can't do that.
The only ones who would have any leeway to take the time to do a proper investigative story are the ones who have already established a name for themselves and are probably in a financial position that they can be a part time freelancer.

Lemonus
Apr 25, 2005

Return dignity to the art of loafing.
New Zealand must have plenty of investigative journalism, we are the least corrupt country in the world

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Varkk posted:

So if they can fill most of that quota just regurgitating a press release that came accross their desk then they will.

See: NZherald and stuff.co.nz

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Lemonus posted:

New Zealand must have plenty of investigative journalism, we are the least corrupt country in the world
I think we went down a few notches on press freedom after the whole teapot bullshit last year. Once the police got involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Midget Fist posted:

I think we went down a few notches on press freedom after the whole teapot bullshit last year. Once the police got involved.

Dropped 5 places to be exact, right out of the top 10.

• Locked thread