Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows

Ratedargh posted:

Yeah, I get that and I don't think the narration failed entirely. It was effective in spots but I felt, upon my initial watch, that it was a bit overdone. Maybe I'll hold a different opinion the second time through. Overall it was a minor gripe anyway.

You described what takes that movie from "meh" to amazing. The narration does an amazing job of showing how detached Spacek's character is and it's a great juxtaposition with the violent background of the entire film. She's so drawn to Kit that she just makes him another part of her weird little fairytale world. This and Blue Velvet are the models for fairy tale worlds gone wrong.

Badlands is based off the real-life Starkweather homicides. It's pretty good at describing exactly what has to go on in the head of Spacek's real-life counterpart to go along for that ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I think you answered your own question there. The narration isn't there for exposition, it's to get you into the strange mindset of Spacek's character and her perspective on the events.

She's also kind of in the background a lot. If it weren't for the narration most people would probably just focus all of their attention on Kit. The narration reminds you that she's our protagonist.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

TrixRabbi posted:

She's also kind of in the background a lot. If it weren't for the narration most people would probably just focus all of their attention on Kit. The narration reminds you that she's our protagonist.

I agree with that and I'm not saying that the narration should be excised, just pared down in places. I thought Spacek did a great job with her body language to express a lot of those reasons for sticking with Kit. The narration is fine, just a bit overboard. "The narration didn't work for me all the way," I wrote...I could have worded this better to convey that I wasn't advocating for the removal of her narration just to cut it in places.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Ratedargh posted:

8) The Apartment - Back with the IMDB list.

Billy Wilder, Billy Wilder and Billy Wilder.

Rushmore was excellent fun. I still have two Wes Anderson films left, The Royal Tenenbaums and The Darjeeling Limited, though this one is my favourite so far. Very funny and emotionally strong, fabulous music, some great acting by the principal cast and a really clever and stylish direction. Maybe not gut busting funny, but it puts a big smile on your face, though that is a very common thing in his films.

SHAME:

The Dead The last film John Huston made.

Leningrad Cowboys Go America Road trip!

The Man Who Knew Too Much Alfred Hitchcock remakes Alfred Hitchcock.

Hannah and Her Sisters Roger Ebert calls it the best movie Woody Allen ever made.

Short Cuts Not sure what this one is about other than it is an Altman film and lasts for three hours.

The Seven Year Itch The one with Marilyn Monroe and a subway grate.

All that Heaven Allows A favourite around these parts.

Minority Report Never finished watching this one for some odd reason.

Smiles of a Summer Night A comedy by Ingmar Bergman?

Bringing Out the Dead Wrapping up 90's Scorsese.

Have watched so far 74 movies: Barton Fink, Sweet Smell of Success, The 400 Blows, Rocky, Videodrome, Charade, The Double Life of Veronique, Ace in the Hole, Easy Rider, Dark City, Gosford Park, Seven, Hard Boiled, Mystic River, The Magnificent Ambersons, Midnight Cowboy, A Serious Man, A Hard Day's Night, Manhattan, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Hamlet, The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, The New World, Carlos, Blood Simple, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, Gangs of New York, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Burn After Reading, Mesrine:Killer Instinct, Mesrine: Public Enemy nrº1, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, Wild Strawberries, Repulsion, The Long Good Friday, Island of Lost Souls, A Matter of Life and Death, Peeping Tom, Beauty and the Beast, Zodiac, After Hours, Nights of Cabiria, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Man Who Wasn't There, Encounters at the End of the World, The Cameraman, Hard Eight, The Purple Rose of Cairo, My Darling Clementine, The Virgin Spring, Dodes'ka-den, The Girl Who Played with Fire, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, Chimes at Midnight, Miller's Crossing, Wild at Heart, Hausu, Letter from an Unknown Woman, Shame, Pather Panchali, Aparajito, World of Apu, Cobra Verde, Richard III, L'Âge d'or, The Outlaw Josey Wales, The Age of Innocence, Mr. Hulot's Holiday, Dersu Uzala, Samurai Rebellion, Shoot the Piano Player, The Red Shoes, The Wages of Fear, Rushmore.

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
Electronico, always go with Altman. Shortcuts for you.

La Haine was great. It was full of energy and tension from the first scene to the last. The three leads gave outstanding performances, and they played off each other nicely. It was an interesting look into their character dynamics. They cause trouble everywhere they go, but against the backdrop of violent riots and racist police, their behavior is understandable. As a strange short man in the bathroom implies, they won't find peace until one side steps up and does the right thing. 4.5/5

Kes
Don't know anything about this.
Still Life
Next on TSPDT's 21st Century list. Don't know anything about it.
The Wind That Shakes the Barley
Another recent Palme d'Or winner.
Cabaret
On the most iCM lists. Also next on the AFI list. ehh.
The Freshman
Only seen Safety Last! from Lloyd.
Cookie's Fortune
Another hidden Altman gem?
Raise The Red Lantern
I haven't seen too much Chinese cinema.
The Mirror
Next on TSPDT. I'm going to love one of these Tarkovskys eventually!
A Man Escaped
Want to keep up with the Filmspotting Bresson marathon.
L'age D'or
I hear this is one of the more surreal from Bunuel.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5, Mona Lisa 3/5, Brief Encounter 4/5, Laura 4/5, Beauty and the Beast 4/5, Solaris 3/5, Alphaville 4/5, Nights of Cabiria 3.5/5, Gun Crazy 4/5, Tokyo Story 3.5/5, The Piano Teacher 3.5/5, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 3.5/5, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 4/5, The Best Years of Our Lives 4.5/5, A Bittersweet Life 4.5/5, Rebecca 3.5/5, Sleuth 4.5/5, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie 4/5, Hearts and Minds 3/5, L'Atalante 2.5/5, The Passion of Joan of Arc 4.5/5, Far From Heaven 4/5, Children of Paradise 3.5/5, Shock Corridor 3/5, Heaven Can Wait 4/5, That Obscure Object of Desire 4.5/5, Before Sunrise 4/5, Before Sunset 5/5, When We Were Kings 4.5/5, Rio Bravo 4.5/5, Ordet 3.5/5, Bed and Board 2.5/5, Alice 3.5/5, Idioterne 4.5/5, L'avventura 2/5, Au Revoir Les Enfants 4.5/5 Amarcord 3.5/5, A.I. Artificial Intelligence 2.5/5, Princess Mononoke 2/5, Tender Mercies 4/5, Ran 5/5, Witness for the Prosecution 4.5/5, Winchester '73 4/5, Local Hero 3.5/5, Fanny and Alexander 5/5, Diabolique 3/5, The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans 3.5/5, Ugetsu 4/5, Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom 1.5/5, Syndromes and a Century 4/5, Smiles of a Summer Night 4/5, Shadows 2.5/5, Umberto D. 3.5/5, Naked 5/5, Andrei Rublev 2/5, A Matter of Life and Death 4.5/5, I Am Cuba 4/5, A Zed and Two Noughts 5/5, The Belly of an Architect 3/5, Videodrome 4/5, Picnic at Hanging Rock 3/5, 2046 4.5/5, Fallen Angels 4/5, Schizopolis 4/5, Blind Chance 2.5/5, The Grapes of Wrath 4/5, Ace in the Hole 4.5/5, Safe 4/5, Woman in the Dunes 5/5, Scarface 4.5/5, The Man who Shot Liberty Valance 4/5, Ghost World 3.5/5, Contempt 3.5/5, The Magnificent Ambersons 4/5, Fantastic Planet 3.5/5, The Kid 3.5/5, Santa Sangre 4/5, Pather Panchali 4/5, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser 4.5/5, Aparajito 4.5/5, Tout Va Bien 3.5/5, A Face in the Crowd 4.5/5, The Class 5/5, Intolerance 3/5, 71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance 2.5/5, The Holy Mountain 4/5, Nosferatu 3.5/5, Sweet Smell of Success 4/5, Stalker 4/5, Days of Heaven 4.5/5, The Apostle 3.5/5, Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives 3.5/5, Shane 3.5/5, The World of Apu 4.5/5, 3 Women 5/5, Do The Right Thing 5/5, A Short Film About Killing 3/5, Au Hasard Balthazar 4.5/5, Withnail & I 3.5/5, Le Trou 4.5/5, The Conformist 3.5/5, West Side Story 2.5/5, Titanic 3/5, Taste of Cherry 4/5, Underground 5/5, Life of Brian 2/5, La Haine 4.5/5

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Not only is there a follow up to the book, the characters in the book discuss the fact that there was a movie made about them and react to it pretty much like you did. It's a really weird experience and I hope if they make a movie of Imperial Bedrooms they'll get the cast from Less Than Zero, if only to gently caress with my head even more.

Yea, I read that and that's what I was thinking. I also read that Ellis put references from the film itself into the American Psycho novel. After watching it I also realized that James Spader has portrayed a lot of strange, memorable characters:

-Rip
-Graham Dalton
-James Ballard
-E. Edward Grey

Maltin's review said this:

"Bret Ellis' novel is sanitized into pointlessness, although an entirely-faithful adaptation would have surely turned everyone off; try to imagine this picture with Eddie Bracken, Veronica Lake and Sonny Tufts."

Can anyone explain those three characters and what he was getting at?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

L'age D'or
I hear this is one of the more surreal from Bunuel.

No more than Un Chien Andalou.

Short Cuts made me realize something, that Captain Planet was loving awful show. As for the film itself, it was good, and I say that generously, by the first 90 minutes I was already zoning out and stoped caring for a lot of the stories going on. My favourite story and character was Jack Lemmon, and his in the film for 5 minutes or whatever, but achieves in that little time what the film doesn't in 3 hours. I really felt sorry, and angry, for his character and situation, more so than his son and her wife in their predicament. The stuff with Julianne Moore was also pretty good. In the end, I sort understand what the film was trying to get at, but can't say I cared all that much for it. Made me appreciate PTA's Magnolia a whole lot more though.

SHAME:

Hannah and Her Sisters Roger Ebert calls it the best movie Woody Allen ever made.

Even Dwarfs Started Small Dwarf size rebellious madness.

Have watched so far 75 movies: Barton Fink, Sweet Smell of Success, The 400 Blows, Rocky, Videodrome, Charade, The Double Life of Veronique, Ace in the Hole, Easy Rider, Dark City, Gosford Park, Seven, Hard Boiled, Mystic River, The Magnificent Ambersons, Midnight Cowboy, A Serious Man, A Hard Day's Night, Manhattan, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Hamlet, The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, The New World, Carlos, Blood Simple, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, Gangs of New York, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Burn After Reading, Mesrine:Killer Instinct, Mesrine: Public Enemy nrº1, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, Wild Strawberries, Repulsion, The Long Good Friday, Island of Lost Souls, A Matter of Life and Death, Peeping Tom, Beauty and the Beast, Zodiac, After Hours, Nights of Cabiria, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Man Who Wasn't There, Encounters at the End of the World, The Cameraman, Hard Eight, The Purple Rose of Cairo, My Darling Clementine, The Virgin Spring, Dodes'ka-den, The Girl Who Played with Fire, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, Chimes at Midnight, Miller's Crossing, Wild at Heart, Hausu, Letter from an Unknown Woman, Shame, Pather Panchali, Aparajito, World of Apu, Cobra Verde, Richard III, L'Âge d'or, The Outlaw Josey Wales, The Age of Innocence, Mr. Hulot's Holiday, Dersu Uzala, Samurai Rebellion, Shoot the Piano Player, The Red Shoes, The Wages of Fear, Rushmore, Short Cuts.

Desiato
Mar 8, 2006

Thy next foe is...

Electronico6 posted:

Also Michael Cain's best leading role ever.

Three Colors: White reminded me of a Coen Brother's comedy, sexual misadventure, characters tweaked just outside the realm of reality and actions that spiral terribly out of control. It's nearly a perfect movie that only really missteps at towards it's end, perhaps getting a bit too zany, the movies characters warping to fit the ridiculous plot. But then again, even the insane aspects of the plot are charming and heartfelt. Overall a very entertaining film, echoing that it's definitely not as good as Blue but still a worthy successor.

edit: swapped out Filth and the Fury on my list for Three Outlaw Samurai because I've cancelled my Netflix.

LIST OF SHAME:
1.The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp: I adore Powell and Pressburger but I've only seen two of their films.

2.The Conversation: When Coppola was at his best and I still haven't seen it.

3.*NEW*Three Colors: Red: Completing the trilogy

4.Cul-de-sac: Wasn't the biggest fan of Repulsion, hoping to get a better feel for early Polanski.

5.Memories of a Murder: South Korea's almost always a hit.

6.Tokyo Twilight Have never seen an Ozu that I haven't loved.

7.*NEW*Three Outlaw Samurai: 60s Samurai films...just something about them

8.The Goddess: More Satyajit Ray.

9.Le Beau Serge: Considered the first film in the French Nouvelle Vague movement.

10.Y Tu Mama Tambien: Children of Men is awesome, time to finish off Alfonso Cuaron's films

Watched: Masculin Feminin, Les Diaboliques, The World of Apu, Stalag 17, Wings of Desire, Island of Lost Souls, Dogville, Wages of Fear, The Phantom Carriage, I am Cuba, Twilight Samurai, Andrei Rublev, Curse of the Jade Scorpion, Orpheus, TC: Blue, Mean Streets, Fanny and Alexander, TC: White

Desiato fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 2, 2012

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
Desiato, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp is a good one.

I definitely prefer Bunuel's later, more structured works to L'age d'or. Even at 60 minutes it dragged, and my mind couldn't help but wander. I'm sure I missed a few interesting parts while I wasn't paying full attention. 2.5/5

Kes
Still Life
Cabaret
The Freshman
Cookie's Fortune
Raise The Red Lantern
The Mirror
A Man Escaped
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
Sounds scary! I love a good horror movie.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5, Mona Lisa 3/5, Brief Encounter 4/5, Laura 4/5, Beauty and the Beast 4/5, Solaris 3/5, Alphaville 4/5, Nights of Cabiria 3.5/5, Gun Crazy 4/5, Tokyo Story 3.5/5, The Piano Teacher 3.5/5, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 3.5/5, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 4/5, The Best Years of Our Lives 4.5/5, A Bittersweet Life 4.5/5, Rebecca 3.5/5, Sleuth 4.5/5, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie 4/5, Hearts and Minds 3/5, L'Atalante 2.5/5, The Passion of Joan of Arc 4.5/5, Far From Heaven 4/5, Children of Paradise 3.5/5, Shock Corridor 3/5, Heaven Can Wait 4/5, That Obscure Object of Desire 4.5/5, Before Sunrise 4/5, Before Sunset 5/5, When We Were Kings 4.5/5, Rio Bravo 4.5/5, Ordet 3.5/5, Bed and Board 2.5/5, Alice 3.5/5, Idioterne 4.5/5, L'avventura 2/5, Au Revoir Les Enfants 4.5/5 Amarcord 3.5/5, A.I. Artificial Intelligence 2.5/5, Princess Mononoke 2/5, Tender Mercies 4/5, Ran 5/5, Witness for the Prosecution 4.5/5, Winchester '73 4/5, Local Hero 3.5/5, Fanny and Alexander 5/5, Diabolique 3/5, The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans 3.5/5, Ugetsu 4/5, Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom 1.5/5, Syndromes and a Century 4/5, Smiles of a Summer Night 4/5, Shadows 2.5/5, Umberto D. 3.5/5, Naked 5/5, Andrei Rublev 2/5, A Matter of Life and Death 4.5/5, I Am Cuba 4/5, A Zed and Two Noughts 5/5, The Belly of an Architect 3/5, Videodrome 4/5, Picnic at Hanging Rock 3/5, 2046 4.5/5, Fallen Angels 4/5, Schizopolis 4/5, Blind Chance 2.5/5, The Grapes of Wrath 4/5, Ace in the Hole 4.5/5, Safe 4/5, Woman in the Dunes 5/5, Scarface 4.5/5, The Man who Shot Liberty Valance 4/5, Ghost World 3.5/5, Contempt 3.5/5, The Magnificent Ambersons 4/5, Fantastic Planet 3.5/5, The Kid 3.5/5, Santa Sangre 4/5, Pather Panchali 4/5, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser 4.5/5, Aparajito 4.5/5, Tout Va Bien 3.5/5, A Face in the Crowd 4.5/5, The Class 5/5, Intolerance 3/5, 71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance 2.5/5, The Holy Mountain 4/5, Nosferatu 3.5/5, Sweet Smell of Success 4/5, Stalker 4/5, Days of Heaven 4.5/5, The Apostle 3.5/5, Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives 3.5/5, Shane 3.5/5, The World of Apu 4.5/5, 3 Women 5/5, Do The Right Thing 5/5, A Short Film About Killing 3/5, Au Hasard Balthazar 4.5/5, Withnail & I 3.5/5, Le Trou 4.5/5, The Conformist 3.5/5, West Side Story 2.5/5, Titanic 3/5, Taste of Cherry 4/5, Underground 5/5, Life of Brian 2/5, La Haine 4.5/5, L'age d'Or 2.5/5

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

Kes

Me neither, hope it's good!

Well Roger Ebert is wrong on Hannah and Her Sisters, it's not Allen's best but it's pretty good nonetheless. It blends drama and comedy really well, and it made it a lot more easier to digest and watch, than his previous Bergman heavy Three Sister tale, Interiors. The ensemble is all around pretty good, and the direction and writing is top notch. Though there was something that bothered me in the end, which is the ending itself. The film didn't seem do deserve that bright and optimistic ending, not saying that it would be better if it were all bitter and cynic, but it just jumps from Allen's story about his big revelation, to the year later thanks giving party and all the stuff with Hannah-Elliot-Lee seems to be half forgotten, half wrapped up. The ending was incomplete I guess that's what I'm saying, maybe it will change in a future viewing. Either way Hannah and Her Sisters is totally worth it for that nazi and can opener line.

SHAME:

Even Dwarfs Started Small Dwarf size Herzog rebellious madness.

The Hudsucker Proxy Only got this and Intolerable Cruelty left to watch from the Coens.

Have watched so far 76 movies: Barton Fink, Sweet Smell of Success, The 400 Blows, Rocky, Videodrome, Charade, The Double Life of Veronique, Ace in the Hole, Easy Rider, Dark City, Gosford Park, Seven, Hard Boiled, Mystic River, The Magnificent Ambersons, Midnight Cowboy, A Serious Man, A Hard Day's Night, Manhattan, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Hamlet, The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, The New World, Carlos, Blood Simple, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, Gangs of New York, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Burn After Reading, Mesrine:Killer Instinct, Mesrine: Public Enemy nrº1, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, Wild Strawberries, Repulsion, The Long Good Friday, Island of Lost Souls, A Matter of Life and Death, Peeping Tom, Beauty and the Beast, Zodiac, After Hours, Nights of Cabiria, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Man Who Wasn't There, Encounters at the End of the World, The Cameraman, Hard Eight, The Purple Rose of Cairo, My Darling Clementine, The Virgin Spring, Dodes'ka-den, The Girl Who Played with Fire, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, Chimes at Midnight, Miller's Crossing, Wild at Heart, Hausu, Letter from an Unknown Woman, Shame, Pather Panchali, Aparajito, World of Apu, Cobra Verde, Richard III, L'Âge d'or, The Outlaw Josey Wales, The Age of Innocence, Mr. Hulot's Holiday, Dersu Uzala, Samurai Rebellion, Shoot the Piano Player, The Red Shoes, The Wages of Fear, Rushmore, Short Cuts, Hannah and Her Sisters.

Bo Berry
Sep 21, 2011

Easy breezy beautiful colored world I'm in love with you
R-O-Y-G-B-I-V your colors are a comedy
Electronico gets Bringing Out the Dead

Extreme amounts of Shame.
1. Citizen Kane Yeah.

2. Spartacus I'm a fan of war epics and a fan of Kubrick but haven't had an extra three hours when I'm in the mindset to watch it.

3. Seven Samurai Mostly the same.

4. Casablanca Really liked The Maltese Falcon, just haven't seen this one.

5. The Phantom of the Opera I like Lon Chaney's movies but haven't gotten to see this, despite it being iconic.

6. Nosferatu Same. Iconic horror movie I instantly recognize but haven't seen.

7. Cinema Paradiso Namesake of the forum, all I know.

8. The Elephant Man or anything of Lynch's besides Eraserhead. I thought Eraserhead was interesting enough that I wanna see more surreal or just odd stuff.

9. Solaris I love sci-fi and I've heard this mentioned a couple times.

10. Space Balls Big Mel Brooks fan and an even bigger Star Wars fan. Even I don't know how I've missed this one.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Bo Berry posted:

3. Seven Samurai Mostly the same. [haven't had an extra three hours when I'm in the mindset to watch it.]

It flies by.

Gandhi was a very good movie with an epic scope. I loved the way it was shot and the expansive sets, and the huge cast made a big impact. I got into the struggle and all the characters involved. It was a fascinating examination of the method of nonviolence. I have to say, though, that Gandhi himself wasn’t that interesting. Kingsley inhabited the part well, and the aging effects were perfect, but there wasn’t any real internal conflict. Unlike, say, Schindler, Gandhi was practically a saint from the first shot of the movie. Usually biopics try to get inside the head of the main character and see what drives them, but Gandhi never had any moments of temptation or personal demons to overcome. As such, there was a lot in him to admire but not much to empathize with. Maybe that’s true to who he was, but if so, it might have been better to focus more on the characters around him than on the man himself. It was still a very good movie- consider me to be praising by exception. Everything I haven’t mentioned was near perfect. In particular, I liked how the ending suggested that conflict with India and Pakistan would continue for a long time. I was getting into expecting a happy ending, and that brought me back to reality. I’d forgotten we already knew how this story ended.

Rating: 3.5/4

24. Something by Chaplin- Changing this one. The Great Dictator is the one I had here, but since it's a talkie it might not be the best introduction to Chaplin. What is- City Lights? Something else entirely? I'll take the recommendation of the thread.

26. Battleship Potemkin- I have no idea what this is about- is it Russian, I think? I don't know, but it's on so many best of all time lists that I figure I should put it on mine.

27. Gattaca- Another on the embarrassingly long "owned but not watched" list. This is sci-fi, I think having something to do when genetic engineering? I was thinking maybe it was a prison, but that's Attica. As you can see, I'm mostly blind on this one.

28. Sophie's Choice- I really have no idea what this is, but I've seen it referenced a lot lately. I'm not sure why, but I figure there must be a reason.

30. Platoon- "Hey, dad, I made a Vietnam movie, too!" "That's nice, Charlie." "Ah, screw you! I'm gonna go snort coke off a hooker's rear end." Also the Green Goblin is in this.

36. My Dinner with Andre- This stars Wallace Shawn. I liked the movie where he kidnapped princesses with Andre, but he died in that one... I assume this is a prequel?

37. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid- The fall's gonna kill you, and something about the Bolivian Army :confused: in the end. That's all I know about this one. William Goldman talked about writing this in the introduction to Princess Bride- sounded good.

38. Easy Rider- I think this is about Jack Nicholson getting high? Well, I know it's the forefront of the American New Wave/Indie movement, so I'm sure it's worth seeing.

40. Predator- Let's make this the 80's action movie slot (I've got a few more to take its place later). I saw bits of this once, including the ending, but not much.

41. Get Carter- Michael Caine is equally awesome whether he's working with Batman or the Muppets. So there's a movie where he personally beats the poo poo out of gangsters? Nice.

Okay, tell me what I’m watching!

Shame relieved: The Godfather: 3.5/4, The Godfather Part II: 4/4, Taxi Driver: 4/4, Casablanca: 4/4, Duck Soup: 2/4, Pulp Fiction: 4/4, Barton Fink: 3.5/4, Annie Hall:3/4, Rashomon: 4/4, Blade Runner: 3.5/4, Chinatown: 4/4, Nashville: 3.5/4, Goodfellas: 4/4, The Seven Samurai: 4/4, Superman: 2/4, The Exorcist: 3/4, A Face in the Crowd: 3.5/4, The Seventh Seal: 2.5/4, Treasure of the Sierra Madre: 3.5/4, Apocalypse Now: 4/4, 2001: A Space Odyssey: 2.5/4, The Deer Hunter: 3/4, Schindler's List: 4/4, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari: 3/4, Young Frankenstein: 3.5/4, Yojimbo: 3.5/4, Brazil: 3.5/4, Hamlet: 4/4, The Aviator: 4/4, Rocky: 3.5/4, Gandhi: 3.5/4

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Jurgan posted:

24. Something by Chaplin- Changing this one. The Great Dictator is the one I had here, but since it's a talkie it might not be the best introduction to Chaplin. What is- City Lights? Something else entirely? I'll take the recommendation of the thread.

Go with City Lights.

It Happened One Night was pretty entertaining, but I can't say that it affected me much. I can't even think of anything to complain about, I just didn't find it very engaging. The dialogue, story, acting and everything else were all fine. Just...fine, that's all I can really say. Oh well.

1920s: The Last Laugh - Murnau won me over with Sunrise, I look forward to seeing more of his movies.

1930s: It Happened One Night King Kong - I've seen the very flawed Peter Jackson version, but not the original. Time to change that.

1940s: The Best Years of Our Lives - This sounds pretty interesting, I suppose.

1950s: Ugetsu - Sansho the Baliff was equally amazing and depressing, I hope I like this one just as much.

1960s: Army of Shadows - All I know about this is that it's bleak. Really bleak, apparently.

1970s: Cries and Whispers - I haven't been emotionally destroyed by a movie in a while, maybe this can do it for me.

1980s: Time of the Gypsies - One of my highest PSIs on Criticker but I never really see it talked about much.

1990s: Being John Malkovich - I pretty much love every other Charlie Kaufman film that I've seen, so I should really like this too.

2000s: The Pianist - Next on the IMDb top 250.

L'Atalante - Next highest on the They Shoot Pictures list.

Watched/Criticker Tier: The Seventh Seal 10, Moon 8, Barton Fink 10, The Thin Blue Line 9, Cool Hand Luke 9, Citizen Kane 10, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 10, Rear Window 10, North by Northwest 9, Goodfellas 10, Casablanca 10, City Lights 8, Seven Samurai 10, Bicycle Thieves 9, Do the Right Thing 10, The Battle of Algiers 9, On the Waterfront 7, Wild Strawberries 10, The Trial 10, Adaptation 9, Unforgiven 10, Annie Hall 9, The 400 Blows 9, Diabolique 8, Mulholland Dr. 10, Dirty Harry 5, The 39 Steps 8, Aguirre: The Wrath of God 10, 8 1/2 9, Boogie Nights 9, A Streetcar Named Desire 7, Raiders of the Lost Ark 10, The General 9, Pickpocket 7, Pulp Fiction 10, Amadeus 10, Lawrence of Arabia 10, Eraserhead 8, The Lady Vanishes 8, The Wild Bunch 8, A Clockwork Orange 7, Platoon 7, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 9, Ikiru 10, Jules and Jim 10, The Asphalt Jungle 8, M 9, The Thin Red Line 9, Dial M for Murder 9, The Sting 8, Once Upon a Time in the West 9, The Exterminating Angel 9, A Woman Under the Influence 10, Singin' in the Rain 9, Scenes From a Marriage 10, Badlands 8, City of God 10, The Gold Rush 7, The Maltese Falcon 9, The Conformist 9, The Shawshank Redemption 8, High and Low 10, It's a Wonderful Life 7, Days of Heaven 9, Le Samourai 6, The Night of the Hunter 10, Metropolis 10, The New World 10, Persona 8, Manhattan 9, Some Like It Hot 7, The Rules of the Game 10, Nights of Cabiria 7, The Graduate 10, Pather Panchali 10, Punch-Drunk Love 9, Grand Illusion 8, The Hustler 8, The Great Escape 8, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 7, Memento 9, Forbidden Planet 7, Stagecoach 7, The Usual Suspects 6, The Big Sleep 8, Modern Times 7, Tokyo Story 9, Seven 9, The Searchers 6, The Battleship Potemkin 6, Videodrome 8, Léon: The Professional 6, American History X 4, The Grapes of Wrath 7, The Wages of Fear 9, Bonnie and Clyde 6, Mean Streets 8, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington 8, American Beauty 6, The Great Dictator 7, Children of Paradise 10, La Dolce Vita 4, The Deer Hunter 8, Ben-Hur 5, Magnolia 9, Rushmore 10, MASH 4, Spirited Away 8, The Cranes Are Flying 9, Monty Python and the Holy Grail 7, Sunrise 9, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid 6, The Lives of Others 8, Casino 8, Naked 1, Glengarry Glen Ross 9, Rififi 8, It Happened One Night 6 (Total: 118)

Desiato
Mar 8, 2006

Thy next foe is...
Atheistdeals.com you get Being John Malkovich.

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp is a rougher sketchier version of the great Powell and Pressburger films that came after it. At nearly 3 hours long it takes it's time but I was never bored or anxious, the plot is extremely melodramatic and never seems to flow comfortably, but it does occasionally have it's moments. The protagonist, Colonel Blimp, is a complete simpleton, bumbling about awkwardly during his career as a soldier, his love of hunting and a single woman defines him entirely. I know we're meant to laugh at him in some scenes, but to what extent (Col.Blimp revealing to Theo that he married a woman that looks exactly like his wife because Col.Blimp used to love Theo's wife. I laughed simply because of a perceived awkwardness that Col.Blimp's character completely failed to acknowledge.). Instead the most interesting character is his German friend Theo, the actor stealing his scenes with slightly more genuine style. The cinematography and especially the lighting were sometimes bland or even amateurish, but occasionally they got pretty good use out of their sets. Overall I couldn't really recommend this movie, it's mildly entertaining but too directionless.

LIST OF SHAME:
1.*NEW*3 Women: Need to see more Altman!

2.The Conversation: When Coppola was at his best and I still haven't seen it.

3.Three Colors: Red: Completing the trilogy

4.Cul-de-sac: Wasn't the biggest fan of Repulsion, hoping to get a better feel for early Polanski.

7.Three Outlaw Samurai: 60s Samurai films...just something about them

9.Le Beau Serge: Considered the first film in the French Nouvelle Vague movement.

10.Y Tu Mama Tambien: Children of Men is awesome, time to finish off Alfonso Cuaron's films

Watched: Masculin Feminin, Les Diaboliques, The World of Apu, Stalag 17, Wings of Desire, Island of Lost Souls, Dogville, Wages of Fear, The Phantom Carriage, I am Cuba, Twilight Samurai, Andrei Rublev, Curse of the Jade Scorpion, Orpheus, TC: Blue, Mean Streets, Fanny and Alexander, TC: White, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

Desiato fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 3, 2012

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
Watch The Conversation, something EVERYONE should have seen already.

The Truman Show was very good. I was shocked by the ending, as I expected it to go on for quite some time, but in retrospect it's better for NOT having gone on and fulfilled everything it could have. Not a laugh riot or amazingly essential viewing or anything, but it's especially relevant nowadays with the reality TV takeover. Would watch again A-.

1. Das Boot- Next highest non-cartoon IMDB top 250 I haven't seen, 100% due to the length of the movie. I think I even had it in my house from Netflix at one point before sending it back.

2. The Exerminating Angel- Bunuel that I haven't seen yet. Man it's easy to watch Criterion movies thanks to Hulu.

3. Pather Panchali- Are you kidding me, this has been on Youtube this whole time? Pick this movie.

4. The Last Picture Show- Working my way through America Lost and Found set. Not loving the movies so much but I am far more impressed with Jack Nicholson than I was before

5. Before the Devil Knows You're Dead- MODERN Lumet.

6. Giant- James Dean movie I haven't seen.

7. Gomorrah- Italian crime movie that's apparently looking good.

8. Kiss Me Deadly- Criterion noir of some sort.

9. Made in USA- Godard. You know, I may have seen this one, I just get it confused with a couple of other misc. Godards laying around. I get a free "pick something else on my list" if I start watching and have already seen it.

10. Ride with the Devil- No idea.

Watched (this time): The Lady Eve, Raising Arizona, The Truman Show

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Brian Fellows posted:

3. Pather Panchali- Are you kidding me, this has been on Youtube this whole time? Pick this movie.

Sure, why not.

City Lights was a lot of fun. The comedy, being visual, was something you have to pay attention to constantly in order to appreciate. I’m used to being able to look away for short periods of time and listen to keep up, so this takes some getting used to. The relationship between the Tramp and the blind girl was very sweet. Some of the situations, of course, were a bit contrived, but the payoff was usually so good I was willing to forgive it. The yarn scene, where the girl unraveled his shirt, was pretty dumb, and I don’t understand why, in the boxing scene, the referee kept standing directly between the boxers. Other than those, I laughed pretty hard at most of the jokes, and I guess that’s all you can really ask from a comedy. The tramp rubbing himself with the boxer’s rabbit’s foot, and then trying to wipe it off after he gets knocked out, was great. Also: “Watch how you’re driving.” “I’m driving?” :lol:

Rating: 4/4

26. Battleship Potemkin- I have no idea what this is about- is it Russian, I think? I don't know, but it's on so many best of all time lists that I figure I should put it on mine.

27. Gattaca- Another on the embarrassingly long "owned but not watched" list. This is sci-fi, I think having something to do when genetic engineering? I was thinking maybe it was a prison, but that's Attica. As you can see, I'm mostly blind on this one.

28. Sophie's Choice- I really have no idea what this is, but I've seen it referenced a lot lately. I'm not sure why, but I figure there must be a reason.

30. Platoon- "Hey, dad, I made a Vietnam movie, too!" "That's nice, Charlie." "Ah, screw you! I'm gonna go snort coke off a hooker's rear end." Also the Green Goblin is in this.

36. My Dinner with Andre- This stars Wallace Shawn. I liked the movie where he kidnapped princesses with Andre, but he died in that one... I assume this is a prequel?

37. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid- The fall's gonna kill you, and something about the Bolivian Army :confused: in the end. That's all I know about this one. William Goldman talked about writing this in the introduction to Princess Bride- sounded good.

38. Easy Rider- I think this is about Jack Nicholson getting high? Well, I know it's the forefront of the American New Wave/Indie movement, so I'm sure it's worth seeing.

40. Predator- Let's make this the 80's action movie slot (I've got a few more to take its place later). I saw bits of this once, including the ending, but not much.

41. Get Carter- Michael Caine is equally awesome whether he's working with Batman or the Muppets. So there's a movie where he personally beats the poo poo out of gangsters? Nice.

42. The Pink Panther- Based on Dr. Strangelove alone I feel safe saying Peter Sellers is a genius. Yet somehow I've never gotten around to watching any of these.

Shame relieved: The Godfather: 3.5/4, The Godfather Part II: 4/4, Taxi Driver: 4/4, Casablanca: 4/4, Duck Soup: 2/4, Pulp Fiction: 4/4, Barton Fink: 3.5/4, Annie Hall:3/4, Rashomon: 4/4, Blade Runner: 3.5/4, Chinatown: 4/4, Nashville: 3.5/4, Goodfellas: 4/4, The Seven Samurai: 4/4, Superman: 2/4, The Exorcist: 3/4, A Face in the Crowd: 3.5/4, The Seventh Seal: 2.5/4, Treasure of the Sierra Madre: 3.5/4, Apocalypse Now: 4/4, 2001: A Space Odyssey: 2.5/4, The Deer Hunter: 3/4, Schindler's List: 4/4, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari: 3/4, Young Frankenstein: 3.5/4, Yojimbo: 3.5/4, Brazil: 3.5/4, Hamlet: 4/4, The Aviator: 4/4, Rocky: 3.5/4, Gandhi: 3.5/4, City Lights: 4/4

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Jurgan posted:

Yeah it's Russian.

Bringing out the Dead is a really grimy and ugly film, there's this unhinged feel to it, most of it seems to be on "Last Day as a Wiseguy" mode and at times looks like some weird psychedelic nightmare. It's just crazy ugly. Loved it! Reminded me of the other Scorsese black comedy which I also really enjoyed, After Hours, with the bizarro look New York has, and the weird people that come out in the night. (Then again maybe it's an accurate portrayal) Nicolas Cage is pretty good, he has is serious moments, in occasions Scorsese lets him have his wild touches, the driver partners(Goodman, Rhames and Sizemore) are all funny and bring a different kind of madness into the crazy ambulance voyages, and Martin Scorsese has his best cameo. Great soundtrack too, particularly enjoyed a Quadrophenia song out of nowhere.
Also I'm now fully convinced that the HBO casting department in the early 2000's was all based on Martin Scorsese films of the 90's, it's a spot the Sopranos/The Wire alumni fest.

SHAME:

Even Dwarfs Started Small Dwarf size Herzog madness.

The Hudsucker Proxy Only got this and Intolerable Cruelty left to watch from the Coens.

Match Point A more recent(7 years old recent) Woody Allen.

Have watched so far 77 movies: Barton Fink, Sweet Smell of Success, The 400 Blows, Rocky, Videodrome, Charade, The Double Life of Veronique, Ace in the Hole, Easy Rider, Dark City, Gosford Park, Seven, Hard Boiled, Mystic River, The Magnificent Ambersons, Midnight Cowboy, A Serious Man, A Hard Day's Night, Manhattan, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Hamlet, The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, The New World, Carlos, Blood Simple, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, Gangs of New York, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Burn After Reading, Mesrine:Killer Instinct, Mesrine: Public Enemy nrº1, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, Wild Strawberries, Repulsion, The Long Good Friday, Island of Lost Souls, A Matter of Life and Death, Peeping Tom, Beauty and the Beast, Zodiac, After Hours, Nights of Cabiria, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Man Who Wasn't There, Encounters at the End of the World, The Cameraman, Hard Eight, The Purple Rose of Cairo, My Darling Clementine, The Virgin Spring, Dodes'ka-den, The Girl Who Played with Fire, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, Chimes at Midnight, Miller's Crossing, Wild at Heart, Hausu, Letter from an Unknown Woman, Shame, Pather Panchali, Aparajito, World of Apu, Cobra Verde, Richard III, L'Âge d'or, The Outlaw Josey Wales, The Age of Innocence, Mr. Hulot's Holiday, Dersu Uzala, Samurai Rebellion, Shoot the Piano Player, The Red Shoes, The Wages of Fear, Rushmore, Short Cuts, Hannah and Her Sisters, Bringing out the Dead.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

The Darjeeling Limited, like Wes Anderson in general, is frustratingly close to something I'd love. Adrien Brody and Owen Wilson (I'm less impressed with Schwartzman) kicking rear end through a big tribute to Satyajit Ray and Louis Malle? AWESOME. The camerawork is beautiful, with a touch of Ophuls.

But man, it just doesn't work on me. I don't like the irony, I don't like the deadpan back and forths, I don't like the use of music at all.

With that caveat, the beautiful scenery and camerawork and Owen Wilson's fun turn put it pretty near the top on my Wes Anderson sliding scale (I haven't seen the Royal Tenenabaums, though).

New list:

The Whole Shootin' Match This is another one of those ones that I'm really intrigued by but somehow am never in the mood for.

new: Black Narcissus Let's give it a whirl.

The Last Emperor Long.

Senso Always up for a melodrama.

Man's Castle Borzage crazy.

My Brother's Wedding So there's a director's cut that's like a half hour shorter? Which should I see?

Ils or The Strangers Hear good stuff about these two, but French extremism turns me off.

Rumble Fish I liked The Outsiders, I guess?

Montenegro or Sweet Movie I loved WR and the Eclipse set, but I've avoided Sweet Movie because I heard it sucks and Montenegro because the poster is crap.

Szerelem This looks fantastic, but somehow I can't get myself to sit down for it.

Finished from this thread:
Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10), The Endless Sumer (7.5/10), Yesterday Girl (7.5/10), Battleground (8/10), Two-Lane Blacktop (8/10), Chimes at Midnight (9/10), Trash Humpers (6/10), The Docks of New York (9/10), The Fallen Idol (9/10), Fires on the Plain (9/10), Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea (7.5/10), The Americanization of Emily (8.5/10), I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (8/10), The Mirror (8.5/10), The Thin Man (8.5/10), Danger: Diabolik (7.5/10), Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (7.5/10), Black God White Devil (8/10), Little Fugitive (8/10), Drunken Angel (7.5/10), Funeral Parade of Roses (9/10), How to Train Your Dragon (8/10), Across 110th Street (7.5/10), The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting (8/10), The Wind (8.5), Portrait of Jennie (7/10), Primer (8/10), To Catch a Thief (8/10), The Fantastic Mr. Fox (4/10), Getrud (8.5/10), Our Hospitality (9/10), Les Diaboliques (8/10), The Awful Truth (8/10), Duel in the Sun (6.5/10), A Guy Named Joe (6/10), Quiet City (5/10), People on Sunday (8.5/10), Nothing but a Man (8.5/10), Spring Summer Winter Fall and Spring (8/10), Comradship (7.5/10), Too Early, Too Late (4/10), Wooden Crosses (7.5/10), White Zombie (8.5/10), No Highway in the Sky (8/10), The Wanderers (8.5/10), My Son My Son What Have Ye Done (7/10), Our Town (9/10), The Winning of Barbara Worth (8/10), Red Riding 1974 (7/10), Grand Hotel (8/10), Rapt (8/10), The Champ (7/10), Red Beard (8.5/10), Rendez-vous d'Anna (8/10), Two Thousand Maniacs! (7/10), The Old Dark House (7.5/10), The Tarnished Angels (8/10), Ordet (9/10), Pigs and Battleships (8/10), The Naked City (8/10), The Ninth Configuration (4/10), Sling Blade (8.5/10), Le Trou (8.5/10), I Know Where I'm Going! (7.5/10), The Hangover (7.5/10), Body Heat (7.5/10), Night Moves (8.5/10), The Earrings of Madame De... (8/10), Toto, Peppino, e la Malafemmina (7/10), Short Cuts (9/10), The Mystery of Picasso (8/10), The Wisdom of Crocodiles (6.5/10), To Be or Not to Be (9/10), Barfly (5.5/10), Billy Liar (8/10), Hana-bi (7.5/10), The Fighter (8/10), Cop Land (8/10), Cairo Station (8.5/10), Beware of a Holy Whore (8/10) That Obscure Object of Desire (8.5/10), The Structure of Crystals (8.5/10), Farewell, My Lovely (8/10), The Blue Angel (7.5.10), Amadeus (8/10), A Time to Love and a Time to Die (8.5/10), Mike's Murder (8/10), I Saw the Devil (7/10), Advise and Consent (8/10), Little Man, What Now? (8.5/10), Outrage (7.5/10), Electra Glide in Blue (8/10), Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (8/10), The Man from Nowhere (7/10), Apocalypto (8/10), Deep Red (8/10), The Darjeeling Limited (7/10)

Total: 142
Best: All That Heaven Allows
Worst: Harold and Maude

penismightier fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 5, 2012

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

The Mummy - Best of the Universal monster movies that I have seen so far. Karloff was great. Lighting was very good, and very atmospheric.

My List:
A Christmas Carol(1951) - This is the 1951 version with Alistair Sim as Scrooge. I've heard it is as good as the George C. Scott version, which I liked.

Best In Show - Lots of people have said that this movie is hysterical, and I could use a good comedy now.

Modern Times - I've never seen a silent movie.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - Loved Newman and Redford in the Sting, so I am looking forward to seeing this.

Monty Python's The Meaning of Life - Only Monty Python movie I've seen is The Holy Grail. I am very interested in seeing the other ones.

Cars - This and Cars2 are the only Pixar movies that I haven't seen.

Kagemusha - My next Kurosawa film.

My Fair Lady - I'm going to stick with musicals in this spot.

The Phantom of the Opera - Next in my monster movie queue.

The Public Enemy - Never saw any James Cagney film.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Dracula, It's a Wonderful Life, Lawrence of Arabia, Ikiru, High and Low, Frankenstein, The Mummy

penismightier, Never saw any of your choices, but random number generator says The Last Emperor

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008
Give The Meaning of Life a shot. I think it's their funniest film.

Wow. Sunrise was everything it's reputation says and more. The camerawork, set design, and general atmosphere of the movie was absolutely stunning from beginning to end. The scene where the couple walk through the streets blissfully unaware of the traffic around them was such a great emotional scene. Immediately after I was done with it, I felt the urge to watch it again. Though the acting was extremely exaggerated, it fit with the exaggerated sets and that great German Expressionist feeling. It also made me wish that the Oscars still gave out an award for "Unique and Artistic Production" (even if that title does sound a tad pretentious). Films as ambitious as this deserve to get recognition.

4/4

Updated List!
1. Mandabi - I've enjoyed all the Ousmane Sembene I've watched, and this one's on instant queue.

2. Hour of the Wolf - Loved The Seventh Seal and Persona, so I think it's about time for some more Bergman.

3. Maniac! - I've heard this is a slasher classic, and I find Joe Spinell to be one of the creepiest actors ever.

4. Matinee - As a William Castle fan, this sounds right up my alley.

5. Butch Cassidy and the Sunday Kid - Watched The Sting a few months ago and really enjoyed it. Paul Newman and Robert Redford can't be beat!

6. Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer - Always been interested in this.

7. Detour - I've heard that this is a film noir classic.

8. Barfly - I've enjoyed the Bukowski that I've read, and it's been sitting on my hard drive for a while.

9. 42nd Street - I haven't seen any Busby Berkeley, and this seems like a good place to start.

10. Sunrise Rolling Thunder - Tarantino named his production company after this, so that's good enough for me.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Dmitri Russkie posted:

Modern Times - I've never seen a silent movie.

And, if you watch this, you still won't have seen one.

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

Give The Meaning of Life a shot. I think it's their funniest film.

This movie is not on my list. You need to pick one that is on my list.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

Dmitri Russkie posted:

This movie is not on my list. You need to pick one that is on my list.

Oh my bad.

Monty Python's The Meaning of Life.

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Sorry, brain fart. Just realized what you meant.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

penismightier posted:

You picked nothing for me to watch.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Consider it your greatest challenge.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Hahahahah my bad - All That Heaven Allows for drat sure.

Desiato
Mar 8, 2006

Thy next foe is...
melvinthemopboy3 you get Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid!

The Conversation is a classic straight out of the greatest era of American film. Coppola really knew how to combine current american issues (the issue of surveillance perhaps even more relevant today) and such deep interesting themes that he's only matched by the other masters of his field. What can be said about a man who desperately wants to keep all his secrets to himself but is in the business of spying on others? That's the essential question at the heart of The Conversation, but it slowly evolves that theme into something even greater by the end of the film. Brilliantly acted, directed, shot, edited, it easily stands up with the Godfather and Apocalypse now. I wish Harrison Ford got a chance or had the chops for more serious acting roles, it's always a delight to see him in something less tongue and cheek. All together a brilliant movie getting my highest recommendation.

LIST OF SHAME:
1.3 Women: Need to see more Altman!

2.*NEW*Melancholia: Interested in Lars von Trier's latest

3.Three Colors: Red: Completing the trilogy

7.Three Outlaw Samurai: 60s Samurai films...just something about them

20 Watched: Masculin Feminin, Les Diaboliques, The World of Apu, Stalag 17, Wings of Desire, Island of Lost Souls, Dogville, Wages of Fear, The Phantom Carriage, I am Cuba, Twilight Samurai, Andrei Rublev, Curse of the Jade Scorpion, Orpheus, Three Colors: Blue, Mean Streets, Fanny and Alexander, Three Colors: White, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, The Conversation

Bo Berry
Sep 21, 2011

Desiato gets Le Beau Serge

I watched Seven Samurai and it did indeed fly by. I can't say much that hasn't already been said, so I'll stick with amazing.

SHAME

1. Citizen Kane Yeah.

2. Spartacus I'm a fan of war epics and a fan of Kubrick but haven't had an extra three hours when I'm in the mindset to watch it.

3.Rashomon More Kurosawa.

4. The Big Sleep Gonna see Casablanca in theaters and this is the random noir spot.

5. The Phantom of the Opera I like Lon Chaney's movies but haven't gotten to see this, despite it being iconic.

8. The Elephant Man or anything of Lynch's besides Eraserhead I thought Eraserhead was interesting enough that I wanna see more surreal or just odd stuff.

10. Space Balls Big Mel Brooks fan and an even bigger Star Wars fan. Even I don't know how I've missed this one.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Bo Berry posted:

1. Citizen Kane Yeah.

Yup.

All That Heaven Allows was quite pleasing to the eye, the technicolor is beautiful and pops out of the picture. It's also unbelievably funny, and it has it's share of classy melodrama. But it's the way the film rides the line between irony and straight face that makes the whole experience worth it, you just never know what the next scene will bring, a tear-jerker moment or a funny line, sometimes both! It's brilliant in it's own way. Maybe I haven't watched enough 50's dramas, but the film has a vicious satirical bite into American materialistic lifestyle of the 50's, didn't expect that sort of social commentary from what appears to be a 1955 chick. flick . Also Matthew Weiner stole everything from this film, for his own hit tv show Mad Men.

SHAME:

Day for Night More fancy French films.

Have watched so far 78 movies: Barton Fink, Sweet Smell of Success, The 400 Blows, Rocky, Videodrome, Charade, The Double Life of Veronique, Ace in the Hole, Easy Rider, Dark City, Gosford Park, Seven, Hard Boiled, Mystic River, The Magnificent Ambersons, Midnight Cowboy, A Serious Man, A Hard Day's Night, Manhattan, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Hamlet, The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, The New World, Carlos, Blood Simple, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, Gangs of New York, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Burn After Reading, Mesrine:Killer Instinct, Mesrine: Public Enemy nrº1, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, Wild Strawberries, Repulsion, The Long Good Friday, Island of Lost Souls, A Matter of Life and Death, Peeping Tom, Beauty and the Beast, Zodiac, After Hours, Nights of Cabiria, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Man Who Wasn't There, Encounters at the End of the World, The Cameraman, Hard Eight, The Purple Rose of Cairo, My Darling Clementine, The Virgin Spring, Dodes'ka-den, The Girl Who Played with Fire, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, Chimes at Midnight, Miller's Crossing, Wild at Heart, Hausu, Letter from an Unknown Woman, Shame, Pather Panchali, Aparajito, World of Apu, Cobra Verde, Richard III, L'Âge d'or, The Outlaw Josey Wales, The Age of Innocence, Mr. Hulot's Holiday, Dersu Uzala, Samurai Rebellion, Shoot the Piano Player, The Red Shoes, The Wages of Fear, Rushmore, Short Cuts, Hannah and Her Sisters, Bringing out the Dead, All That Heaven Allows.

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
Electronico, get a bit closer to finishing the Coens with the great Hudsucker Proxy.

The only problem with Kes was the lack of subtitles. Although it is in English, the accents are so thick and the sound mix too terrible for me to understand half the dialogue. It's a testament to the quality of the film, though, that I was engrossed the entire time. The childhood of Billy Casper seemed so real and natural that dialogue wasn't necessary. 4.5/5

Still Life
Cabaret
The Freshman
Cookie's Fortune
Raise The Red Lantern
The Mirror
A Man Escaped
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
Sounds scary! I love a good horror movie.
Killer of Sheep
Don't know anything about it.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5, Mona Lisa 3/5, Brief Encounter 4/5, Laura 4/5, Beauty and the Beast 4/5, Solaris 3/5, Alphaville 4/5, Nights of Cabiria 3.5/5, Gun Crazy 4/5, Tokyo Story 3.5/5, The Piano Teacher 3.5/5, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 3.5/5, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 4/5, The Best Years of Our Lives 4.5/5, A Bittersweet Life 4.5/5, Rebecca 3.5/5, Sleuth 4.5/5, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie 4/5, Hearts and Minds 3/5, L'Atalante 2.5/5, The Passion of Joan of Arc 4.5/5, Far From Heaven 4/5, Children of Paradise 3.5/5, Shock Corridor 3/5, Heaven Can Wait 4/5, That Obscure Object of Desire 4.5/5, Before Sunrise 4/5, Before Sunset 5/5, When We Were Kings 4.5/5, Rio Bravo 4.5/5, Ordet 3.5/5, Bed and Board 2.5/5, Alice 3.5/5, Idioterne 4.5/5, L'avventura 2/5, Au Revoir Les Enfants 4.5/5 Amarcord 3.5/5, A.I. Artificial Intelligence 2.5/5, Princess Mononoke 2/5, Tender Mercies 4/5, Ran 5/5, Witness for the Prosecution 4.5/5, Winchester '73 4/5, Local Hero 3.5/5, Fanny and Alexander 5/5, Diabolique 3/5, The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans 3.5/5, Ugetsu 4/5, Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom 1.5/5, Syndromes and a Century 4/5, Smiles of a Summer Night 4/5, Shadows 2.5/5, Umberto D. 3.5/5, Naked 5/5, Andrei Rublev 2/5, A Matter of Life and Death 4.5/5, I Am Cuba 4/5, A Zed and Two Noughts 5/5, The Belly of an Architect 3/5, Videodrome 4/5, Picnic at Hanging Rock 3/5, 2046 4.5/5, Fallen Angels 4/5, Schizopolis 4/5, Blind Chance 2.5/5, The Grapes of Wrath 4/5, Ace in the Hole 4.5/5, Safe 4/5, Woman in the Dunes 5/5, Scarface 4.5/5, The Man who Shot Liberty Valance 4/5, Ghost World 3.5/5, Contempt 3.5/5, The Magnificent Ambersons 4/5, Fantastic Planet 3.5/5, The Kid 3.5/5, Santa Sangre 4/5, Pather Panchali 4/5, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser 4.5/5, Aparajito 4.5/5, Tout Va Bien 3.5/5, A Face in the Crowd 4.5/5, The Class 5/5, Intolerance 3/5, 71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance 2.5/5, The Holy Mountain 4/5, Nosferatu 3.5/5, Sweet Smell of Success 4/5, Stalker 4/5, Days of Heaven 4.5/5, The Apostle 3.5/5, Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives 3.5/5, Shane 3.5/5, The World of Apu 4.5/5, 3 Women 5/5, Do The Right Thing 5/5, A Short Film About Killing 3/5, Au Hasard Balthazar 4.5/5, Withnail & I 3.5/5, Le Trou 4.5/5, The Conformist 3.5/5, West Side Story 2.5/5, Titanic 3/5, Taste of Cherry 4/5, Underground 5/5, Life of Brian 2/5, La Haine 4.5/5, L'age d'Or 2.5/5, Kes 4.5/5

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

Cabaret

What good is sitting alone in your room? Plenty, if you're watching great movies. Actually, I've only seen this on stage, and I'm told the stage production is very different from the movie- maybe it should be on my list.

Greetings, comrades! Battleship Potemkin is loaded with propaganda (“Kill the Jews” was the only part that really bothered me), but when you get past that it’s pretty dang good. I like the starkness of the black and white photography, and I loved the way the film builds tension. The firing squad scene is a good example, where the mean are under a blanket and they draw out the firing for a very long time, but it never feels dull. Up until then, they movie had moved very quickly, and so a long pause like that really makes you anxious. The ending is even better- how long did they go waiting to fire the ship’s guns? It kept getting more and more tense, and the music kept speeding up and making me more and more tense. I wasn’t expecting to get that into it. Side note: has anyone ever seen the anime Irresponsible Captain Tylor? One of the last episodes, pretty much the climax of the whole series, has a sequence that I now see borrowed heavily from the ending of Potemkin. I like seeing how film history fits together.

Rating: 3.5/4

P.S. One moment made me laugh out loud- that was when the ship fired on the general's house, and then the movie cut immediately to three stone lions looking surprised. Something about that was hilarious.

42. The Pink Panther- Based on Dr. Strangelove alone I feel safe saying Peter Sellers is a genius. Yet somehow I've never gotten around to watching any of these.

43. 3 Women- My first Altman was pretty good, let's see some more.

Shame relieved: The Godfather: 3.5/4, The Godfather Part II: 4/4, Taxi Driver: 4/4, Casablanca: 4/4, Duck Soup: 2/4, Pulp Fiction: 4/4, Barton Fink: 3.5/4, Annie Hall:3/4, Rashomon: 4/4, Blade Runner: 3.5/4, Chinatown: 4/4, Nashville: 3.5/4, Goodfellas: 4/4, The Seven Samurai: 4/4, Superman: 2/4, The Exorcist: 3/4, A Face in the Crowd: 3.5/4, The Seventh Seal: 2.5/4, Treasure of the Sierra Madre: 3.5/4, Apocalypse Now: 4/4, 2001: A Space Odyssey: 2.5/4, The Deer Hunter: 3/4, Schindler's List: 4/4, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari: 3/4, Young Frankenstein: 3.5/4, Yojimbo: 3.5/4, Brazil: 3.5/4, Hamlet: 4/4, The Aviator: 4/4, Rocky: 3.5/4, Gandhi: 3.5/4, City Lights: 4/4, Battleship Potemkin: 3.5/4

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 6, 2012

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Jurgan posted:

Greetings, comrades! Battleship Potemkin is loaded with propaganda (“Kill the Jews” was the only part that really bothered me), but when you get past that it’s pretty dang good.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that statement pretty inflammatory within the context of the film? I thought a bunch of people beat that guy up.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Yeah, dude, the guy who lambasts the Jews gets surrounded and harassed by everyone else who believes that the revolution has nothing to do with ethnic persecution.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

I guess I misread that part- I thought it was claiming Jewish capitalists were responsible for their problems (and certainly there was persecution of Jews in both Czarist Russia and Stalin's Soviet Union, so it didn't seem out of place). I didn't realize the guy who shouted that was the one who got beaten up.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Jurgan posted:

I guess I misread that part- I thought it was claiming Jewish capitalists were responsible for their problems (and certainly there was persecution of Jews in both Czarist Russia and Stalin's Soviet Union, so it didn't seem out of place). I didn't realize the guy who shouted that was the one who got beaten up.
Here's the video of it, along with a weird record scratch for effect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8YQL2IYPzM

I'm glad you liked the film though. That section is great, when they are all clenching their fists in proletariat rage.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Honestly, I didn't expect to like it. At first, it was pretty boring, but it grew on me as it went on.

Bo Berry
Sep 21, 2011

Jurgan posted:

I've also seen Platoon and while that's a much better movie in many regards I really enjoy Predator. It's not Arnold's best movie but it's pretty good and easily one of the movies that define action.

Citizen Kane was magnificent. I really liked the way it was edited and the cinematography. The lighting looked loving amazing. It's gorgeous but it's also very heart wrenching. I really started to like Kane and even admired him. Knowing that he was going to fall didn't cushion the blow because he fell hard. It was an amazing thing to watch that never lost tension or emotional engagement. It also had easily the best room trashing ever recorded on film.

SHAME

1. Gone With the Wind Another frequently referenced classic I haven't managed to see.

3.Rashomon More Kurosawa.

4. The Big Sleep Gonna see Casablanca in theaters and this is the random noir spot.

8. The Elephant Man or anything of Lynch's besides Eraserhead I thought Eraserhead was interesting enough that I wanna see more surreal or just odd stuff.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Bo Berry posted:

The Elephant Man is actually one of his most straightforward films.

The Hudsucker Proxy was really fun. Quite stylish and it has a Monty Python(Maybe more Terry Gilliam) insanity feel to it, mixed in with Capra's life affirming stories. Never really bored me, even the bizarre ending was fun, Tim Robbins and Paul Newman are great and I even liked Jennifer Jason Leigh over-cartoonish character, I guess there's a first for everything. In the end, it's an entertaining film by the Coens.

SHAME:

Day for Night More fancy French cinema.

Madadayo The Final Kurosawa.

Have watched so far 79 movies: Barton Fink, Sweet Smell of Success, The 400 Blows, Rocky, Videodrome, Charade, The Double Life of Veronique, Ace in the Hole, Easy Rider, Dark City, Gosford Park, Seven, Hard Boiled, Mystic River, The Magnificent Ambersons, Midnight Cowboy, A Serious Man, A Hard Day's Night, Manhattan, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Hamlet, The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, The New World, Carlos, Blood Simple, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, Gangs of New York, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Burn After Reading, Mesrine:Killer Instinct, Mesrine: Public Enemy nrº1, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, Wild Strawberries, Repulsion, The Long Good Friday, Island of Lost Souls, A Matter of Life and Death, Peeping Tom, Beauty and the Beast, Zodiac, After Hours, Nights of Cabiria, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Man Who Wasn't There, Encounters at the End of the World, The Cameraman, Hard Eight, The Purple Rose of Cairo, My Darling Clementine, The Virgin Spring, Dodes'ka-den, The Girl Who Played with Fire, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, Chimes at Midnight, Miller's Crossing, Wild at Heart, Hausu, Letter from an Unknown Woman, Shame, Pather Panchali, Aparajito, World of Apu, Cobra Verde, Richard III, L'Âge d'or, The Outlaw Josey Wales, The Age of Innocence, Mr. Hulot's Holiday, Dersu Uzala, Samurai Rebellion, Shoot the Piano Player, The Red Shoes, The Wages of Fear, Rushmore, Short Cuts, Hannah and Her Sisters, Bringing out the Dead, All That Heaven Allows, The Hudsucker Proxy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Electronico6 posted:

The Hudsucker Proxy was really fun. Quite stylish and it has a Monty Python(Maybe more Terry Gilliam) insanity feel to it, mixed in with Capra's life affirming stories. Never really bored me, even the bizarre ending was fun, Tim Robbins and Paul Newman are great and I even liked Jennifer Jason Leigh over-cartoonish character, I guess there's a first for everything. In the end, it's an entertaining film by the Coens.

It's also got Bruce Campbell, and that gives any movie some bonus points. I'd argue Hudsucker is their most underrated film. It's just as sharp and witty as any of their others, but it got trashed by a lot of critics and it's largely forgotten. I definitely recommend it for any Coen fans who haven't seen it yet.