Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
So, I've played through Mass Effect 1 and Mass effect 2 without any DLC.

I read that one of the ME2 DLC somehow has to deal with how shepherd literally murders like 300,000 people or something like that. And that this somehow has to do with the beginning of Mass Effect 3.

Does the game do a good job explaining this event or should I just buy it real quick and get to know how it all happened? I don't want my ~*immersion*~ ruined, but I also don't want to waste time if ME3 already can tell me how it unfolded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Imapanda posted:

So, I've played through Mass Effect 1 and Mass effect 2 without any DLC.

I read that one of the ME2 DLC somehow has to deal with how shepherd literally murders like 300,000 people or something like that. And that this somehow has to do with the beginning of Mass Effect 3.

Does the game do a good job explaining this event or should I just buy it real quick and get to know how it all happened? I don't want my ~*immersion*~ ruined, but I also don't want to waste time if ME3 already can tell me how it unfolded.
It's The Arrival DLC. You kill a few hundred thousand Batarians. It happens no matter what and doesn't have any bearing on the beginning of this game.

Ornamented Death posted:

Like this.

Spoiler, obviously.
Where do you see that in the game? It looks like a person just holding up a picture.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Ah, so they went for the Sean Young from Dune without the blue eyes look.

I really was hoping that she would just be a suit full of spiders.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

TheGreatDave posted:

This game seems pretty buggy on the PC. Character animations will go from Shepard just randomly flying in air while running, or Shepard getting stuck in loop animations during cutscenes. For one example Shephard was focused on a item in the Normandy so his head was turned 90 degrees to the left while talking to a perosn on the ship. Was creepy. :eek:

Now he's stuck still and I can't get him to move away after talking to Joker and Edi. :qq:

The first time I talked to Liara on the Normandy my Shepard kept staring at the info drone behind her. Her as in shepard. Behind herself. So Liara was talking to the back of Shepard's head while the rest was facing front. Then when the info drone joined in they both started twisting their heads back and forth rapidly and neither of them had pupils in their eyes. The first thing I thought of was The Princess.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

kater posted:

The first thing I thought of was The Princess.

That thread was great, I really wish that guy hadn't stopped updating.

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010
The end game conversation with Illusive Man:

How do I not get shot in the head by him?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Crows Turn Off posted:

Where do you see that in the game? It looks like a person just holding up a picture.

I think I read that it's in Shepard's cabin, but don't quote me on that. I was just reposting that from earlier in the thread.

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!
not sure if it's been posted yet but even still it bears repeating;

http://www.alienwarearena.com/giveaway/mass-effect-3-giveaway

quote:

Reverse-engineered from the Cerberus Arc Projector, the Indra is a prototype sniper-rifle that fires a path of ionized air, then electrifies targets with a lightning bolt of electricity. By first piercing a target with a high-powered shot, the Indra weakens kinetic shields and maximizes damage to electrical systems.

**Please note this M-90 Indra Sniper Rifle key will only work on the PC version of the game.

3078 left from when I last F5'ed :stare:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Is there just something about Kaidan's eyes when he's introduced in this game that kind of just makes him look like a mannequin? Is it just me?

salt vampire
Mar 1, 2012

by angerbot
I stayed up all night playing this for 15+ hours and this is easily one of the most compelling single player games ever.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Qwezz posted:

not sure if it's been posted yet but even still it bears repeating;

http://www.alienwarearena.com/giveaway/mass-effect-3-giveaway

3078 left from when I last F5'ed :stare:

It's pretty bad from what I've seen, the point of playing a sniper in my mind is to pop out a 1-2 shot a guy, not sit there and fire. Though it's better than using the default one.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A couple of questions, i haven't bought the game:

Does the Racnhi queen actually do anything?

Does the turian councilor have enough proof of Reapers now???

salt vampire
Mar 1, 2012

by angerbot

Mans posted:

Yes to both. What they've done with the Rachni was actually really cool IMO.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Mans posted:

Yes! But don't worry, if you killed her the Reapers made another one. There is an actual change between the two, though.

And the Turian councilor has had enough proof, yes.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

For whoever was asking about SMG/Pistol bonus damage to shields/armor, there is a tooltip in multiplayer at least that says something like "You should consider bringing both slow and fast firing weapons for dealing with various types of resistances."

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Lotish posted:

There's a conversation between a soldier and his asari wife as in the dock, as I recall. That what you're looking for?

No, the Eurogamer review mentions a female soldier who married an Asari and they're both going to war and need to find foster care for their child because the soldier's family won't take care of the kid because she married outside the species. Apparently she's trying to get the Asari at the embassy desk to help out.

Also it's kinda fun to look at the War Assets as power levels. (Hanar Diplomat) Kasumi by herself is more valuable than the entire Hanar fleet + Drell operatives, which itself is only 5 more value than a small squad of Spectres. Also, Bau's Spectre Armor looks sweet as hell.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Lotish posted:

Is there just something about Kaidan's eyes when he's introduced in this game that kind of just makes him look like a mannequin? Is it just me?

Uncanny valley. Everyone in games looks like that to me.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Is it just me, or is the game very dark especially at the beginning? Like Ashley gets revealed, but you can barely make out her face. Is it a dynamic shadow issue? I turned it off to increase performance, but I guess I'll deal if it means that I'll be able to actually see people.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So does the game really gently caress you if you don't have any other ME saves? I really don't feel like playing ME2 again.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Kilometers Davis posted:

So does the game really gently caress you if you don't have any other ME saves? I really don't feel like playing ME2 again.

Just use the Gibbed editor.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Are SMGs useless at anything but pointblank range? I'm under the distinct impression that I can't hit poo poo (which is hilariously underscored when you get the scope for it).

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Lotish posted:

Weird Glassy Fake Eyes has been one of my big complaints with this whole series.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

In my opinion it does. The default Shepard is an idiot that I would not trust to save the galaxy.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Polo-Rican posted:

Weird Glassy Fake Eyes has been one of my big complaints with this whole series.

That's why i refused to do any romances. They're literally animated real-dolls.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Which DLC for ME2 impacts ME3? Do I want to do Arrival, Overlord or the Kasumi missions before starting ME3?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I said come in! posted:

In my opinion it does. The default Shepard is an idiot that I would not trust to save the galaxy.

Lame. How so?

General Battuta posted:

Just use the Gibbed editor.

No pc gaming, but thanks for the suggestion.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

VaultAggie posted:

Can someone explain how the hell the citadel quests work? Most of them are vague "this person might be interested in this" and the rest are in star systems that aren't on my map. I want my war assets drat it. :argh:

Counterpoint: You can never have enough drones and turrets.

Kilometers Davis posted:

It seems like the canon options make Shepard into a xenophobic dick.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I haven't seen personal proof yet, but Arrival, Kasumi, Zaeed and Liara's DLCs have been mentioned as impacting somehow.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

Lame. How so?

Default Sheperd let Wrex die. Honestly that's all I got, but let's not kid ourselves, Wrex is the best character in the series.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Lame. How so?

I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter, can't you use Gibbed on 360 saves if you've got a flash drive?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Is there any way to turn Shepard's helmet offentirely, and not just in conversations?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Lotish posted:

I haven't seen personal proof yet, but Arrival, Kasumi, Zaeed and Liara's DLCs have been mentioned as impacting somehow.

In the opening scene of the game, Anderson mentions that Shepard allowed almost 300,000 Batarians die. I don't know if this is canon due to the save game I imported. I don't know if that save game had the Arrival expansion. I can't see how Zaeed's story could impact ME3.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rincewind posted:

Is there any way to turn Shepard's helmet offentirely, and not just in conversations?

The armory. But it'll still show up in levels where there is no oxygen of course.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

I said come in! posted:

Default Sheperd let Wrex die. Honestly that's all I got, but let's not kid ourselves, Wrex is the best character in the series.

Which is probably also part of why he hasn't been a real squad member ever since. gently caress default Shephard.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

General Battuta posted:

I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter, can't you use Gibbed on 360 saves if you've got a flash drive?

Yes, that was my ME2 solution for "gently caress this probing bullshit." You need Modio as well to strip the saves from the career.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Lotish posted:

Overlord, Kasumi and Shadow Broker all show up. I don't have Arrival, though so I'm not sure about that one.

fractal.distortion
Oct 13, 2010

I'll distort your fractals.
Can I use a game pad for the PC? I played the demo and I couldn't get it to work, I feel like it would be a lot better to play comfortably. I've read a few things, but I haven't really seen any thing besides the save imports.

E: Nope. I guess I should have looked harder.

fractal.distortion fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 6, 2012

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Eej posted:

Overlord, Kasumi and Shadow Broker all show up. I don't have Arrival, though so I'm not sure about that one.

Did Anderson tell Shepard why he'd been de-comissioned in their meeting on Earth?

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

Kilometers Davis posted:

Lame. How so?

You can import saves to the 360, also.

http://masseffectsaves.com/xbox.php
http://masseffectsaves.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15

Nobody's figured out PS3 yet but it might not be possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
I have no desire to go to work today. I will be thinking of mass effect all day.

• Locked thread