Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

tadashi posted:

In the opening scene of the game, Anderson mentions that Shepard allowed almost 300,000 Batarians die.

There is literally no way to avoid this in the Arrival DLC, so it's almost certainly canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gonna ask again cause no one responded before: Is there an ETA for the iPad DataPad app?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

tadashi posted:

Did Anderson tell Shepard why he'd been de-comissioned in their meeting on Earth?

"The poo poo that you've done would've gotten anyone else court-martialed" is about the only explanation I got.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Annakie posted:

You can import saves to the 360, also.

http://masseffectsaves.com/xbox.php
http://masseffectsaves.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15

Nobody's figured out PS3 yet but it might not be possible.

Most games have encrypted saves on the ps3.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Eej posted:

"The poo poo that you've done would've gotten anyone else court-martialed" is about the only explanation I got.

Probably has something to do with causing the death of 300,000 Batarians from the last bit of ME2 DLC, Arrival. v:downs:v

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Probably has something to do with causing the death of 300,000 Batarians from the last bit of ME2 DLC, Arrival. v:downs:v

Nope, Shep actually doesn't do that if you didn't play Arrival - a group of Alliance marines handles the Alpha Relay problem instead. You can learn this from the War Assets screen.

I have a feeling I'm going to be explaining this a lot :spergin:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Like 300k dead Batarians is a tragedy.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mans posted:

One dead batarian is a tragedy. Three hundred thousand is a statistic.
-Josef Shepard.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I got 10% in the war effort from like 30 minutes of multiplayer. Doesn't seem that bad. I usually hate multiplayer too, but the powers make it fun. The default difficulty is easy enough to where it doesn't get frustrating playing with randoms. Not sure there's any lasting value to it, though.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Mans posted:

I thought I heard on the news in the Citadel that the vast majority of the Batarian empire was wiped out. Not sure if I misheard though.

Pathard
Oct 23, 2011

Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Do they ever rejoin you on the Normandy?
I'm not that far in, but I believe so. It seems like it.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Shadowhand00 posted:

I thought I heard on the news in the Citadel that the vast majority of the Batarian empire was wiped out. Not sure if I misheard though.

I think the Reapers hit them first to farm shock troops for Earth (because Shepard is on Earth and dude has already killed two Reapers)

That's speculation, I haven't played the game yet.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Streaming the PC version again. About to do the From Ashes DLC to get the squadmate

http://twitch.tv/gyoruspy

Bass Concert Hall
May 9, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ornamented Death posted:

I think the Reapers hit them first to farm shock troops for Earth (because Shepard is on Earth and dude has already killed two Reapers)

That's speculation, I haven't played the game yet.

No it's pretty much spelled out in the ANN newsfeed

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games

Shadowhand00 posted:

The Arrival DLC kills off a single colony, the reapers take out the homeworld and most of the rest of batarian space in between that and the beginning of ME3.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

floor is lava posted:

Most games have encrypted saves on the ps3.

Yeah that's what I keep getting told, I found a site that says they have transferred save files for other games, not having much luck finding people to help me test what they did for PS3. Everyone keeps asking me but when I ask them help out they never get back to me. :v: I don't have a PS3 and am not going to get one so, oh well.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

So I heard that some quests have time limits and now I'm getting paranoid. Can someone quickly explain how it works? Does it mark which ones?

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Haha just caught my Space Hamster running around the Engineering sub-level and he was all squeeky :allears:

TheShadowAvatar
Nov 25, 2004

Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

God dammit. I need to get paid like now so I can afford this :(

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Shadowhand00 posted:

I thought I heard on the news in the Citadel that the vast majority of the Batarian empire was wiped out.

loving good. Kill them all.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Hakkesshu posted:

So I heard that some quests have time limits and now I'm getting paranoid. Can someone quickly explain how it works? Does it mark which ones?

I think it's just for minor scanning side missions that'll get you a small war asset or credits. I hit that mark and ended up being unable to complete a handful of missions. It's when Cerberus invades the Citadel right after you finish Tuchanka. There may be more missions like that that cut off some side missions but I haven't done much past that one yet.

Bloach
May 23, 2005

Bloachie Bad Azz
Is there a list somewhere of decisions made in Mass Effect 2 that go with the default story in ME3? I'm thinking about starting over because my 'career' is on a gamertag I don't use. I'm hoping the differences aren't too drastic.

Edit: Nevermind, found them. Default's decisions are way too different from my own experience. Looks like I'll be giving this defunct profile some more achievements.

Bloach fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 6, 2012

Masochism
Aug 28, 2004

Stoned, Ripped, Twisted...Good People.

Gyoru posted:

Streaming the PC version again. About to do the From Ashes DLC to get the squadmate

Nice, I enjoy your play style, great stream quality too.

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK
Oh god, it's launch day.

People here are spamming refresh on Metacritic, Game Trailers, and so on watching feedback :ohdear:

If I can, I can try to answer questions (I still can't do story spoilers and such though, unfortunately)

Simple Simon
Dec 29, 2008

"Good sir, would you fancy a Salmon tartar?"
Where does my save need to be in order for ME3 to find it?
Seems like Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect\Save isn't the place!

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Birudojin posted:

Oh god, it's launch day.

People here are spamming refresh on Metacritic, Game Trailers, and so on watching feedback :ohdear:

If I can, I can try to answer questions (I still can't do story spoilers and such though, unfortunately)

Do you know why missions are so much harder to find in ME3 than they were in other games? Was it thought to be a good idea to make us get out our Mass Effect Atlases to find what system planet-related missions are in?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Birudojin posted:

Oh god, it's launch day.

Just a quick one. The same old bug involving characters staring bottom-left and bottom-right's cropped up. Is this the same bug as in ME2, or just something similar?

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax
Did they eliminate neutral dialogue options completely? From the stream I'm watching it looks like just renegade and paragon options exist.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Simple Simon posted:

Where does my save need to be in order for ME3 to find it?
Seems like Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect\Save isn't the place!

http://www.masseffect2saves.com/import.php

Step 2
Naviagte to your My Documents --> Bioware --> Mass Effect 2 --> Save folder.

Step 3
Create a new folder.

Step 4
Rename this folder to the same thing as one of your other folders, but just change a number at the end.

Step 5
Drop your downloaded save into this folder.

If this doesn't work, drop your saved game into an existing save game folder and delete/move the other files out of that folder. If that doesn't work, I dunno.

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK

tadashi posted:

Do you know why missions are so much harder to find in ME3 than they were in other games? Was it thought to be a good idea to make us get out our Mass Effect Atlases to find what system planet-related missions are in?

Offhand, I'd guess it was a combination of a different in story structure (vs. the large ME1 hubs, for example) and trying to tie the missions more directly into the narrative than I think they may have been in the past. It also makes it so some can be more optional and not required for the plot, changing the game between playthroughs, and also potentially allow for some missions to be only available at specific points in the story, rather than saying "do these 27 missions in any order".

That said, those are guesses, sorry!

ed:
Ze Pollack -
It's probably at least partially related to the ambient lookat system, if I had to guess, but I believe that specific issue was mostly fixed. It might be something else.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Someguy posted:

Did they eliminate neutral dialogue options completely? From the stream I'm watching it looks like just renegade and paragon options exist.

Yeah, but at the same time, paragon/renegade don't really matter as much, just filling up a points pool that unlocks the deeper dialog options.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Gyoru posted:

It's funny how you can't use it until the after the part of the game where you were supposed to find it in the script in which it was replaced by a VI.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If I buy Mass Effect 2 over Origin, how much more am I looking to pay for the DLC (in :britain: currency anyway)? I want to skip ME1, but ME2 is worth another playthrough. I just don't have it for PC. :saddowns:

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

General Battuta posted:

Nope, Shep actually doesn't do that if you didn't play Arrival - a group of Alliance marines handles the Alpha Relay problem instead. You can learn this from the War Assets screen.

I have a feeling I'm going to be explaining this a lot :spergin:
Ah, that makes more sense. I was thinking that another team did the same as Shepard, but i guess i forgot to do Arrival in my imported save. :v:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Has tech armor been nerfed, then? It was really the only reason to ever play sentinel.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
gently caress vanguards in multiplayer.

Playing an infiltrator with an overzealous vanguard on your team is annoying as gently caress.

"Oh let me just line up this snipershot. OH THE VANGUARD RAN INTO THE GROUP AND KNOCKED EVERYONE BACK."

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

tadashi posted:

http://www.masseffect2saves.com/import.php

Step 2
Naviagte to your My Documents --> Bioware --> Mass Effect 2 --> Save folder.

Step 3
Create a new folder.

Step 4
Rename this folder to the same thing as one of your other folders, but just change a number at the end.

Step 5
Drop your downloaded save into this folder.

If this doesn't work, drop your saved game into an existing save game folder and delete/move the other files out of that folder. If that doesn't work, I dunno.

What if you don't have a M2 folder? I got the pc game because I needed it now now right away but played the first two on the 360. Any way to import choices yet?

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Serious Frolicking posted:

Has tech armor been nerfed, then? It was really the only reason to ever play sentinel.
You have to explode the armour yourself now.

Refyougee
Jun 20, 2008

Fuck who you are. You have a greater responsibility - to ensure that what you do does not result in the promotion of division, willful ignorance, and suffering.
Just did the last mission that takes place on Rannoch and all I can say is :psyduck: (HUGE spoilers follow)

I told Legion to upload the reaper code, which ends with him pulling a Poochie and the entire migrant fleet being blow apart and crashing in a million fiery bits right in front of Tali, prompting her to rip her mask off and throw herself off a cliff. Just awesome.

Really though, that was an amazing scene. Going to replay it just to see the opposite choice play out. In the last couple hours that I've been playing I've seen the whole "we don't have to worry about continuity because this is the last game" mentality show through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax
The worst part about vanguard is that everyone thinks they are good with them, and ends up getting downed across the map from the rest of the team and everyone else dies trying to revive their scrub rear end.

• Locked thread