Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChadBroChill17
Sep 6, 2007
Plato, Heidegger, Aristotle, LOL
I'm looking to plan a trip to Europe for this May. Unfortunately, with my job time will definitely be an issue. I do not want to spend too much time in transit.

I've been tossing around some ideas with my friend. Ideally, I'd like to go somewhere I haven't been before. This eliminates a lot of Western Europe, but I haven't been very far south yet. I'm toying with the idea of Porto, Portugal. Anyone have any good insight on this choice?

I'd be leaving May 4 and returning May 13. Doing some basic research on Wikipedia, these dates will encompass Queima das Fitas, an annual festival involving university students. This definitely seems like something up my alley. What else should I be looking to do while I'm there?

Should I be looking to travel to another city while I'm there? We'll have 8 nights total. Is there enough to do in Porto for that long, or would hopping a train to Lisbon be worth it?

Thanks in advance travel goons.

EDIT: Welp, couple of glasses of wine and this got booked. 2 days in Lisbon, 2 in Cascais (Right outside, more beachy), 2 in Coimbra, and 2 in Porto. Ideally we'd be able to spend more time in each place, but I just can't take anymore time off of work. If anyone has any ideas on really cool stuff to do that might not show up on the touristy websites and stuff please let me know.

ChadBroChill17 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pantaloon
Apr 19, 2004

Since this thread was so helpful for my last summer circuit around Europe, I thought I'd ask for some tips on the following:

I have 15 days to spare in August, and I was thinking of doing Zurich > Lucerne (I wanna see the lion) > Munich > Salzberg > Venice (maybe a day) > Florence > Rome. Any of that sound awful? Are these places pretty walkable? Is Switzerland as boring/expensive as everyone says it is? Anything I should definitely see? Is the Villa di Pratolino as cool in person?

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
Anyone know of any good/cheap hotel or hostels in Paris (or a good apartment rental site)?

I want to go for a few days right after Easter (so April 10-15th or so) and I'm having trouble finding a good place.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Gold and a Pager posted:

Anyone know of any good/cheap hotel or hostels in Paris (or a good apartment rental site)?

I want to go for a few days right after Easter (so April 10-15th or so) and I'm having trouble finding a good place.

Hostels in Paris tend to suck so I'd just go for the "best" one you find on hostelworld.com

How many people are in your group or are you traveling alone. I know a few apartment rental companies that might be worth checking out if you have a few people in your group (I work at an apartment rental company in Paris).

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Omits-Bagels posted:

Hostels in Paris tend to suck so I'd just go for the "best" one you find on hostelworld.com

How many people are in your group or are you traveling alone. I know a few apartment rental companies that might be worth checking out if you have a few people in your group (I work at an apartment rental company in Paris).

Just me and my girlfriend. I had thought about doing an aparment rental, but I couldn't find anything that was cheaper than like €450 a week after fees, etc.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Gold and a Pager posted:

Just me and my girlfriend. I had thought about doing an aparment rental, but I couldn't find anything that was cheaper than like €450 a week after fees, etc.

That sounds about right for apartment rentals in low season in central Paris; you're unlikely to find anything cheaper unless you couch surf or stay in hostels.

(https://www.vrbo.com and https://www.airbnb.com are good apartment rental places)

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I got an apartment for a month through only-apartments.com. It seems pretty good, you just need to make sure there are good reviews for the ones you want.

That said, I booked mine months ago so you might not be able to get anything at a real good price anymore.

Springtime Goddess
Sep 2, 2006

oh no i put a stupid title text here when i registered in 2006 please how do i change it i am not good with computer
So I'm moving to Zurich, Switzerland in a couple of months and am a little nervous. Does anyone have any advice for a newcomer to Zurich (or Switzerland in general)? Things like how to find a place to stay, where to shop, what places to visit in free time, or just anything you might feel is important. :)

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Gold and a Pager posted:

We stayed here:

http://cobblestoneparis.com/studio-fontaine

and loved it. It's tiny, but comfortable if you don't mind that the bed is one of those day-lounge things with a trundle underneath that you pull out.

bee fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Mar 6, 2012

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

AbDomen posted:

So I'm moving to Zurich, Switzerland in a couple of months and am a little nervous. Does anyone have any advice for a newcomer to Zurich (or Switzerland in general)? Things like how to find a place to stay, where to shop, what places to visit in free time, or just anything you might feel is important. :)

I moved to Lausanne a few years ago from the US, and it's pretty cool in general, though with some major hurdles at first—for me mostly language and housing. Lucky you, moving in May, so you get to miss the winter (not that it's cold). Are you going there for study abroad / Erasmus, or for a job?

If you don't already have a place to stay, book a hostel or hotel depending on your situation. Zurich's going to be pretty hard to find a place in; unfortunately I can't recommend any sites/agencies specifically for you. Do you speak German? Nightlife will probably be kind of difficult if you don't--everyone can speak English, but not for social situations. If you're going for college, meeting people shouldn't be an issue though regardless.

Unless you are coming from Norway, everything is going to be insanely expensive to you and you'll probably just want to eat noodles for months, especially if you're doing study abroad and not moving there for a job. Zurich has great shopping, and it even has one or two stores that are open on Sunday, which is a hard find in Switzerland. I can't really recommend anything in particular there—the lake's lovely, the zentrum is nice to walk around in, and the kunstmuseum is pretty good / has frequently changing exhibits.

Lidl and Aldi sell reasonably priced food of terrible quality, while Coop and Migros sell quality food at high prices (except for a few fixed-price staples like bread and milk). Globus sells more exotic food at exorbitant prices. Denner also exists, but I've never figured out why.

In the area, I'd recommend Lucern, Constance, and Basel as awesome cities to visit that are within an hour's travel. Bern is probably my favorite city in Switzerland, and it's just a little farther. Depending on how long you're here, Lausanne, Lugano, and Fribourg would also make my list of Swiss cities to not miss. In general I don't have any specific must-sees to recommend about any of these towns, but they all have a unique feel—e.g. Bern is very medieval-feeling, while Fribourg has a more distinctly Renaissance feel.

At $595/week, you beat his €450 mark by... 10 cents!

Saladman fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 6, 2012

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
Help! I'm going to Europe, what do I do?

But seriously. I've never been out of the country before, and since this will be my last summer free for a long, long time I decided travelling would be fun since I've always wanted to do it.

I have 2 months off from school, so I'm thinking 4-6 weeks in Europe will be good. I got my passport already, and this is about where my plans end because I don't know what the gently caress.

First off, how much should I plan on spending? From a cursory google it looks like people are suggesting anywhere from 60-100 euros/day - does that sound about right? Second, I suppose I need to figure out where I want to go. Does anyone have any suggestions for narrowing down what countries/cities to visit, or should I just look at a map and be like "yup, that route looks good"? Are there any tricks for airfare, like certain airlines or going to certain airports (kind of like Laguardia vs. JFK I guess?)

Sorry for being so non-specific, it's a little overwhelming making the decision to go out of the country alone :ohdear:

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Laminator posted:

First off, how much should I plan on spending? From a cursory google it looks like people are suggesting anywhere from 60-100 euros/day - does that sound about right?
That depends entirely on where you are and what you are doing. If you want to lie on a Croatian beach all day and stay in a hostel by night you can get by on less. If you want to go clubbing in Oslo every night whatever money you bring won't be enough.

quote:

Second, I suppose I need to figure out where I want to go. Does anyone have any suggestions for narrowing down what countries/cities to visit, or should I just look at a map and be like "yup, that route looks good"?
It comes down to what interests you, what kind of budget you have and, to a limited extent, what languages you speak. Nightlife, beaches, hiking, dining, sight-seeing, history, art, museums, ruins, etc etc. Any particular aspect/niche, like being into castles, loving impressionist art, wanting to party with blondes or really desiring that "Hi Ma, I'm at the Eiffel tower :haw:" photo will help narrow it down further.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
I am sure there must be some good vintage clothing shops in Paris, but where are they? I am specifically interested in vintage cycling jerseys, if that is of any help. Thanks.

Masturbatory Manatee
Oct 18, 2005
CHUCK NORRIS
CHUCK NORRIS
CHUCK NORRIS
HURRRRRR
You can be like me and use Kayak's "Explore" feature and just find the cheapest flight on the map.

The Viper
Oct 4, 2009

Laminator posted:

Help! I'm going to Europe, what do I do?

But seriously. I've never been out of the country before, and since this will be my last summer free for a long, long time I decided travelling would be fun since I've always wanted to do it.

I have 2 months off from school, so I'm thinking 4-6 weeks in Europe will be good. I got my passport already, and this is about where my plans end because I don't know what the gently caress.

First off, how much should I plan on spending? From a cursory google it looks like people are suggesting anywhere from 60-100 euros/day - does that sound about right? Second, I suppose I need to figure out where I want to go. Does anyone have any suggestions for narrowing down what countries/cities to visit, or should I just look at a map and be like "yup, that route looks good"? Are there any tricks for airfare, like certain airlines or going to certain airports (kind of like Laguardia vs. JFK I guess?)

Sorry for being so non-specific, it's a little overwhelming making the decision to go out of the country alone :ohdear:

It's quite possible to get by on ~€50 a day, but you'll be more comfortable with about 70-80. In places like Switzerland, Austria, Ireland or Paris you will have to spend more, and in most of Eastern Europe as well as some cities like Berlin you can get by on less. It's just an average. Also, keep a chunk of money for 'one offs'. Stuff like skydiving, river rafting or music festivals shouldn't figure into your daily spending, but are among the most fun things you'll do.

My advice would be to fly in, and subsequently get a EurRail ticket (actually I'm not sure what the deal is with non EU residents but check it out anyway). As the above poster said it really depends on what you're into. History, nightlife, sightseeing etc.

With regard to travelling alone, dont worry. I did it last summer and it was the best decision I made. Just stay in friendly hostels with bars. Do your own thing during the day, then just introduce yourself to people in the evenings. Nearly everyone is there for the same reason, and the vast majority want to talk and make friends. There are loads of solo travellers and pairs too. I can give you some specific recommendations for hostels in Berlin, Krakow, Lljubliana, Bilbao, Bled, Pamplona and Dublin if you need em.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

AbDomen posted:

I'm in Geneva but my wife's from Zurich so I've visited a few times but mostly to see family and friends.

Zurich in the summer is all about the lake, the parks and badis (bathing areas) next to the lake will be full of people all the drat time. It should be really nice.

Public transport is great and they seem to have a very good cycling network. If you don't have a car (you really shouldn't need one) one of your first purchases should be the Halbtax which will make all rail journeys 50%, local public transit about 30-40% lower, and give you other discounts at ski resorts and some concerts. It's a weird system that basically screws tourists into paying extra for a lot of stuff.

Finding a place is insanely difficult and ruinously expensive, just so you know what to expect. Like any place with such a limited supply there will be loads of scammers so do not under any conditions wire money to anybody or agree to get keys from a third party at some later time. Be suspicious.

Having said that, check the message boards at http://www.glocals.com/, http://www.englishforum.ch/ and maybe http://www.worldradio.ch/. In Geneva, basically all the apartments are owned by banks and insurance companies and rented by companies called regies (you can see the names of the regie on englishforum ads), so you might have to sign up with a few of them but be prepared to submit a lifetime's worth of information before they rent to you (current work contract, previous employers, bank statements, etc.). Probably best to start posting on those other forums and asking people in the area how they did it. You can see how difficult it is and why it's such a ripe market for scamming.

Shopping was pretty well covered by Saladman, although he apparently doesn't know the most important thing... Denner is where you buy your booze (and maybe chocolate if you're going home and need lots of it for Christmas presents)! It's a discount supermarket owned by Migros so they can take advantage of the alcoholics who won't shop at their normal stores (no booze in Migros, Coop has it but it's pretty expensive).

Where are you moving from? Why Zurich? Do you speak German? Swiss-German?

Send me a PM if you're getting closer to arrival and you're starting to panic.

Springtime Goddess
Sep 2, 2006

oh no i put a stupid title text here when i registered in 2006 please how do i change it i am not good with computer
Thank you Saladman and Greazeball for a wealth of useful advice. :) I'm moving to Zurich to work as a postdoc at ETH, so I won't be completely poor, but I'm still a bit overwhelmed by what I hear is an insane housing situation. I'm originally Slovenian, so I do speak some German. Enough to ask for directions, buy groceries and make basic small talk, but definitely not complex discussions... and the Swiss dialect is beyond me.

Greazeball, do you agree with Saladman that it's probably best to get a hotel/hostel for the first month and look for apartments? Considering all the scammers, I'm pretty leery of trying to find something online without being able to visit the apartment. My supervisor has recommended some internal housing ad websites, but there's not a wealth of options there either. Right now, the possibility of putting down extra money for more expensive but guaranteed 1-month accomodations is looking awfully attractive. Also, is it feasible to rent a cheaper place outside the city and take the train to work, or are the prices high everywhere?

I'll definitely take the shopping, transporation and sightseeing suggestions to heart. I've been to Zurich before, but haven't really explored Switzerland *too* closely, so it's good to have some starting recommendations! Thanks again. :)

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

AbDomen posted:

Greazeball, do you agree with Saladman that it's probably best to get a hotel/hostel for the first month and look for apartments? Considering all the scammers, I'm pretty leery of trying to find something online without being able to visit the apartment. My supervisor has recommended some internal housing ad websites, but there's not a wealth of options there either. Right now, the possibility of putting down extra money for more expensive but guaranteed 1-month accomodations is looking awfully attractive. Also, is it feasible to rent a cheaper place outside the city and take the train to work, or are the prices high everywhere?

I work at your sister school, and the housing they offer here is pretty convenient (and outrageously overpriced, which I guess you'd expect from a one-month contract for a furnished apartment). I wouldn't get a hostel/hotel for a month--I'm sure you can find a place in a week, as long as you're willing to take the first thing that accepts you. It will be -much- easier since you're a EU citizen so I don't think you need your work permit before getting a non-sublet. You will need your work contract, a couple letters of recommendation, a copy of your passport, your birth certificate maybe, and probably other things too (seriously).

You can rent outside the city, in which case you'd either need to get the "GA" (abonnement generale, not sure what it's called in German but GA is the acronym) or some sort of fixed-route pass between where you live, like Winterthur, and Zurich. This will probably be about half the price of the GA (which is like chf3000/year? or so). However, everyone I know buys the GA, and I know a ton of people who commute between Lausanne and Geneva every day.

If you bring a car, living far away is more realistic particularly if you work at the ETHZ campus that is a little north of Zurich in Honggerberg (i.e. the biology campus; not sure if anything else is there), and not the one next to the river. However, public transit is also pretty great in Switzerland, and I would definitely not drive if you're working at the central campus.

Englishforum.ch is a great resource, as Greazeball mentioned, but I also think the people who reply to posts on that forum are generally huge dicks (if you ask a question, be prepared for 10 replies of "USE THE SEARCH FEATUHRE GOD> ARE YOU RETARDED"). Still, there's a lot of good and specific info.

E: Last thing about grocery stores. While Lidl and Aldi are where hopes go to die, they do sell decent quality meat at half the price of other stores. Be warned that the vegetables/fruits they sell immediately convert from "unripe" to "overripe" through some sort of magic, never passing through a state of being edible.

VVV Things must be quite grim in Germany if Lidl/Aldi ... E2: Nevermind, apparently I missed your joke ( http://www.ichwerdeeinberliner.com/post/17423420763/11-supermarkets )

Saladman fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 7, 2012

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Saladman posted:

E: Last thing about grocery stores. While Lidl and Aldi are where hopes go to die, they do sell decent quality meat at half the price of other stores. Be warned that the vegetables/fruits they sell immediately convert from "unripe" to "overripe" through some sort of magic, never passing through a state of being edible.

Aldi/Lidl sell the same things under different names for a better price so you should always shop there :deutschland:

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

AbDomen posted:

What you should do depends on how long you're going to stay. If there's a chance that you'll stay for less than a year, you'll need to find some kind of housing either through the Uni or through someone in your lab, nobody will give you a lease for less than that. If you're going to stay longer I'd stay in a hostel or a residence hall (we have them in Geneva, they're basically dormitories with private rooms and shared bathrooms) for a month (I'm over-cautious like that) while you try to find either a lease or sublet. We found our place by just sending an email around the wife's office before we arrived, we had zero luck with the internet. Personal connections are what you'll need.

Lidl and Aldi are OK in my book, they just seem extra grim because they don't use shelves and just drop the palettes in the aisles. The produce and alcohol is rubbish but the meat/cheese/dry goods are OK and their weekly specials had some decent stuff for peanuts (we got cheap camping gear for festivals and other random bits and bobs), I always wanted a €99 Aldi laptop.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

jet sanchEz posted:

I am sure there must be some good vintage clothing shops in Paris, but where are they? I am specifically interested in vintage cycling jerseys, if that is of any help. Thanks.

I forgot I'd seen this earlier when I was on my phone.

Do you post in the cycling thread? I haven't checked it for a while but maybe they can help: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3300254

A friend of mine is a travel writer in Paris, you might try checking her blog, I'm sure she has vintage clothing info http://www.secretsofparis.com/

The Viper
Oct 4, 2009
Have been drunk on 59c Aldi Cider.

Do not wish to do so again.

Masturbatory Manatee
Oct 18, 2005
CHUCK NORRIS
CHUCK NORRIS
CHUCK NORRIS
HURRRRRR
There was some talk of hostels, does anyone have reccomendations for good social places for a solo traveler in Budapest and Istanbul? I'll probably stay at the Wombats in Vienna (which one?!) since I have a hard-on for australian teenagers.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

The Viper posted:

Have been drunk on 59c Aldi Cider.

Do not wish to do so again.

But the important question is, how does it compare to Scrumpy Jack or Tesco Value cider?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

The Viper posted:

I can give you some specific recommendations for hostels in Berlin, Krakow, Lljubliana, Bilbao, Bled, Pamplona and Dublin if you need em.

I'll take this advice instead!

I've got about 3 days in Slovakia (plus a day either side for travel from Budapest and out to Vienna), and my primary purpose for going there is hiking (day trips only). Do you think I should make a bee-line for Bled? Or is there good things to see and do in Ljubliana?

I think the train from Budapest arrives pretty late so I'll likely need to spend a night in Ljubliana anyway. Or maybe I'm overthinking that part because I'm looking at a map and I just realised how tiny a country Slovenia is and Bled is only 40mins away.

The Viper
Oct 4, 2009

NZAmoeba posted:

I've got about 3 days in Slovakia (plus a day either side for travel from Budapest and out to Vienna), and my primary purpose for going there is hiking (day trips only). Do you think I should make a bee-line for Bled? Or is there good things to see and do in Ljubliana?

I think the train from Budapest arrives pretty late so I'll likely need to spend a night in Ljubliana anyway. Or maybe I'm overthinking that part because I'm looking at a map and I just realised how tiny a country Slovenia is and Bled is only 40mins away.

Sure! The two best hostels in Ljubliana are Hostel Celica http://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetails.php/Hostel-Celica/Ljubljana/6013 and Zepplin Hostel http://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetails.php/Hostel-Celica/Ljubljana/6013. That first one is a converted military prison and is really, really cool. I haven't stayed in Zepplin but I've heard good things.

I wasn't a huge fan of Lljubliana, but then again it was 39C, dropping to 36 at night, so it was really difficult to go sightseeing or do my usual stuff of just wandering until I found something interesting. It's small, but very pretty.

You can get out to Bled on a regular bus or train. It takes about an hour on the bus and is cheap. The bus/train station is very close to Hostel Celica. The hostel I stayed in was Traveller's Haven: http://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetails.php/Traveller-s-Haven/Bled/22247. Great place, lovely staff and you get your own key so you can come back at any time of the night.

You might find Bled a little touristy, though it is beautiful. There are some day long hiking trips you can do which go out to Bohinj. I'd really recommend that. Apparently it's like an unspoilt Bled.

Oh, and finally:
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD IF YOU SWIM OUT TO THE LAKE MAKE SURE YOU DO IT FROM THE RIGHT PLACE AND ARE A STRONG SWIMMER. Closest I've ever come to death right there.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Saladman posted:

That sounds about right for apartment rentals in low season in central Paris; you're unlikely to find anything cheaper unless you couch surf or stay in hostels.

(https://www.vrbo.com and https://www.airbnb.com are good apartment rental places)

I found a place using Airbnb, thanks!

Landsknecht posted:

Aldi/Lidl sell the same things under different names for a better price so you should always shop there :deutschland:

I think this is appropriate here:
http://www.ichwerdeeinberliner.com/post/17423420763/11-supermarkets

Springtime Goddess
Sep 2, 2006

NZAmoeba posted:

As a native of Ljubljana, I wouldn't recommend too much time here. Walk up to the castle, wander around the old town for an hour (best done in the evening), and you're about done. The city is mostly good as a central point for day trips to other parts of Slovenia - the most important of those probably being Bled and the Postojna cave.

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.

NZAmoeba posted:

I hope you meant to type Slovenia, or you're in for a surprise! :)

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

vetinari100 posted:

I hope you meant to type Slovenia, or you're in for a surprise! :)

Whoops, yes! Though I'll actually be in Slovakia the week beforehand as well, which is probably how I confused myself. Thanks for the tips guys, I love me some natural beauty!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Which countries in Europe would be the most accessible/affordable for English-speaking foreigners to come and study for an MA/MSc/Professional degree? And the Netherlands in particular?

I'd rather not go through another bout of debt from studying through American higher education, but I would ideally pursue a program in Europe which is both affordable and carries weight abroad and which I could help provide for by teaching English part-time with a BA and a TEFL certificate. Granted, traveling to Europe for additional education might be five years out from now, so this is sort of planning for the distant future.

Also, how feasible would it be to backpack between France, Luxembourg, Germany, Belgium, and the Netherlands? Would it be more feasible to reduce that number to one or two countries?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 8, 2012

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

OrangeGuy posted:

Which countries in Europe would be the most accessible/affordable for English-speaking foreigners to come and study for an MA/MSc/Professional degree? And the Netherlands in particular?

I'd rather not go through another bout of debt from studying through American higher education, but I would ideally pursue a program in Europe which is both affordable and carries weight abroad and which I could help provide for by teaching English part-time with a BA and a TEFL certificate. Granted, traveling to Europe for additional education might be five years out from now, so this is sort of planning for the distant future.

Also, how feasible would it be to backpack between France, Luxembourg, Germany, Belgium, and the Netherlands? Would it be more feasible to reduce that number to one or two countries?

The UK would be the least affordable, so there's a start. Ireland might be OK though.

Switzerland, Germany, and NL might work depending on what field you're in, but to be honest most MA/MScs are done in the vernacular unless you're studying hard science at a top-tier university. If you study like, psychology, then you're going to have to learn another language or pay through the nose to study in the UK.

How feasible in what timeframe? A month? Yes. A week? No.

The Viper
Oct 4, 2009
Ireland isn't too bad, though we charge non-EU students a lot more to subsidize our own. Not approaching American college levels though.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Saladman posted:

Switzerland, Germany, and NL might work depending on what field you're in, but to be honest most MA/MScs are done in the vernacular unless you're studying hard science at a top-tier university.

More and more master's programmes in the Netherlands are now in English. I attended one in Conflict Studies and even history (my first master's) is now offered in English. And this is all in Nijmegen, the university that in some departments has more Germans than Dutch people. Amsterdam and Utrecht offer a lot of their social studies and arts programmes in English as well.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Also, AFAIK (being an EFL teacher in Europe) the TEFL market in the Netherlands is insanely competitive. They already do such a good job at primary school that really there's only Advanced level teaching available outside of the state education system and most of that is through Unis who can demand Master's degrees or better. It was easy as hell to get a job teaching in Dublin although the pay wasn't great. I imagine you could get a job pretty easily in the UK as well and if you weren't living in London it wouldn't be that expensive (and probably cheaper than Dublin, too).

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Saladman posted:

The UK would be the least affordable, so there's a start. Ireland might be OK though.

Switzerland, Germany, and NL might work depending on what field you're in, but to be honest most MA/MScs are done in the vernacular unless you're studying hard science at a top-tier university. If you study like, psychology, then you're going to have to learn another language or pay through the nose to study in the UK.

How feasible in what timeframe? A month? Yes. A week? No.

Well, I would be open to learning another language, but currently would like to scope out English-taught programs first.

Also, besides the UK, what countries would be closer to Germany in terms of affordability?

As for feasibility, I would be trying to estimate how much time (and money) I would need in order to make that kind of tour (assuming I could travel through all of the countries I specified) without it becoming superficial. Would 1-2 months be enough or would it be more like 2-3 months? I'd probably want to look at spending half or most of a summer doing this, if I could.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
There are other means than time to not make it superficial. Like hitchhiking for example, or try and visit some nice cultural or music festivals, or just wing it more and see where you end up (instead of crossing of a list of tourist traps).
Two months is definitely enough anyway I'd say.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Rojkir posted:

There are other means than time to not make it superficial. Like hitchhiking for example, or try and visit some nice cultural or music festivals, or just wing it more and see where you end up (instead of crossing of a list of tourist traps).
Two months is definitely enough anyway I'd say.

That's the plan, pretty much. The best times of my life have come from me winging it, especially in countries like India.

There is a huuuuge difference when it comes to enjoying traveling in a foreign country if you wing it versus just going to the tourist traps (the Taj Mahal is beautiful and wonderful and all that but god drat does the gauntlet of gawking tourists and opportunistic locals make it that much shittier).

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

AbDomen posted:

:stuff:

When I moved to Zürich I had accommodation with these people http://www.pabs.ch/ I would recommend 3 months. There is a big list of accommodation sites on englishforum.ch in particular there was one that was mostly for students which had some decent and affordable places. It just takes a long time but everyone finds a place eventually.

ETH should be fun, and check out the Lettern by Kornhausbrücke for swimming in the summertime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
How expensive would a week-long trip to Italy (around Rome) probably be for a family of five from the U.S., assuming they stay in mid-range hotels?