Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Jared592 posted:

That's awesome, but my problem with things like that are I just don't know when to stop. How do you know when you're "done" when you're using a scraper? With a sander I know when I'm done because I've run out of sanding pads and am cursing ever starting the refinishing project.

When you've cut what you need from it. Scrapers are used for a multitude of things, from leveling finish to removing finish to preparing for finish. There are floor scrapers, cabinet scrapers, detail scrapers, you can make your own.. its just about learning a new tool to use if you see fit for it. I've definitely used a scraper "too much" on the first table I made and the surface is uneven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrPete
May 17, 2007
my old man always tells me to turn a fuckup into a feature

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

MrPete posted:

my old man always tells me to turn a fuckup into a feature

He did wonders with you.

No but really its good to hide mistakes but you will always know its their.

MrPete
May 17, 2007

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

He did wonders with you.

No but really its good to hide mistakes but you will always know its their.

Nope he tells me quite often I'm a fuckup :)

I see imperfections in my work that even after pointing out to other people they don't see. Nature of the beast really.

Now! to swing this talk back to tools, has anyone got a favourite #5 jack plane I should look at buying?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Finally made a table for my radial arm saw. Still need to find or make some clamps for the fence, though.

And build a proper work bench, and probably not store computer bits where they'll get covered in sawdust.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

dur posted:

Finally made a table for my radial arm saw. Still need to find or make some clamps for the fence, though.

And build a proper work bench, and probably not store computer bits where they'll get covered in sawdust.

What's up my RAS brother?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Nice. Build a Roubo, they're all the rage right now and only cost ~80$ in southern yellow pine from home depot.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

I've been working on aligning this saw and everything, and I noticed this thing:

is a little plastic cap over a threaded stub. I assume there's things that can be attached there - google's found people talking about sanders and drill chucks and such for Craftsman and Dewalt RASs, but I can't find a drat thing about this one I've got - a Delta 33-990. Is there anything I can actually use this little stub for?

Not an Anthem posted:

Nice. Build a Roubo, they're all the rage right now and only cost ~80$ in southern yellow pine from home depot.
Oh man those look fancy, and holy crap some guy on sawmill creek spent $800 on lumber for his. :monocle:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

dur posted:

I've been working on aligning this saw and everything, and I noticed this thing:

is a little plastic cap over a threaded stub. I assume there's things that can be attached there - google's found people talking about sanders and drill chucks and such for Craftsman and Dewalt RASs, but I can't find a drat thing about this one I've got - a Delta 33-990. Is there anything I can actually use this little stub for?

Oh man those look fancy, and holy crap some guy on sawmill creek spent $800 on lumber for his. :monocle:
Drill chuck and sander. If you figure out what thread it is, you can find a chuck to match.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

dur posted:

If you look at reader submissions for FWW's recent bench feature some people put STUPID woods into their benches. Chris Schwarz wrote a great short book on workbench design showing why exactly you should use southern yellow pin over other woods.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

sharkytm posted:

Drill chuck and sander. If you figure out what thread it is, you can find a chuck to match.
I figured those were, like, specially designed for the individual saws, I had no idea you could get drill chucks that just screw on like that. Awesome.

Not an Anthem posted:

If you look at reader submissions for FWW's recent bench feature some people put STUPID woods into their benches. Chris Schwarz wrote a great short book on workbench design showing why exactly you should use southern yellow pin over other woods.
No kidding. Some of them look so nice I'd be afraid to actually use them.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

dur posted:

I figured those were, like, specially designed for the individual saws, I had no idea you could get drill chucks that just screw on like that. Awesome.

No kidding. Some of them look so nice I'd be afraid to actually use them.

Chucks either screw on or press on. I'll bet a standard Jacobs chuck will fit.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

So any air nailer experts in here?

I picked up a used Bostich N80CB-1 off Craigslist this morning for super cheap. It's seen a lot of use, but still works great.

It's the bump fire model, which is probably overkill for me since I'm not framing for a living. It looks like I can order the sequential fire trigger/spring - has anyone swapped out a trigger on one of these before? Is it even possible? From the exploded parts diagram it looks like it's just a different trigger and a spring.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Just picked this up for $45. Craftsman 315.17380 router, edge guide, and a (probably crappy) stamped steel table for it. Still has the original manuals from 1969, too. Also, a box of bits that have never been used. The whole thing is really clean and doesn't look like it was used more than a few times.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Just purchased my first snow blower. I got a 2 stage snow tek. I used it yesterday to do my driveway with about 7 inches in it. Then i took it to a buddies house in the country and did his 100 foot drive way with ease.

I wish this wasn't just one speed but other then that it handles all the snow like a champ.

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-O...51#BVRRWidgetID

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

dur posted:

Just picked this up for $45. Craftsman 315.17380 router, edge guide, and a (probably crappy) stamped steel table for it. Still has the original manuals from 1969, too. Also, a box of bits that have never been used. The whole thing is really clean and doesn't look like it was used more than a few times.

Is that the kind with the trigger in one grip that connects via bowden cables? If so, be careful! The cable trigger can get loose over time and if you bump or lay it down wrong will turn the drat thing on. I have one but I rarely use it. I suppose I could fix it but it's hardly worth the time since I have better routers lying around.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

kafkasgoldfish posted:

Is that the kind with the trigger in one grip that connects via bowden cables? If so, be careful! The cable trigger can get loose over time and if you bump or lay it down wrong will turn the drat thing on. I have one but I rarely use it. I suppose I could fix it but it's hardly worth the time since I have better routers lying around.

poo poo, yeah, that's it. :\

Oh well, I'll keep an eye on that cable. Thanks for the heads

e: Haha, holy poo poo, the original sales receipt was in the manual - 54.99 + 2.20 in tax, 8/9/1973.

Elder Postsman fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 27, 2012

themachine
Jun 6, 2003

Welcome to the machine
This may be a little too specific for this thread, but I thought I would ask here.

Recently, I kind of fell into an independent contracting gig installing DirecTv satellite television. I've been working with a partner, and am ready to go solo. The most important tool I need, and the only thing I lack is a satellite aiming tool. Everyone I know in this industry so far uses what is called a Birdog, seen here https://www.perfect-10.tv/marketing/birdog/ .

Now I know that will work and am familiar with using one. My question is, are there any other alternatives that will do the same job for a lower cost? For me to get one of the above tools, it will probably run 400-600 dollars depending if I go used or new. Money is kind of tight for me, so if I can get something that will work just as well for a lesser cost, that would be great. Does anyone here have any familiarity with these tools and any recommendations for me?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Does anyone use electronic ears that pickup/amplify ambient audio? I hate, hate hate batteries and they don't seem worth it to me because anytime I need to hear something I just yell "WHAT?" or take off my ears. However I read that FWW 2001 hearing issue and the electronic ones seem neat but the peltors went up to 60$ and only the lee valley are still 30$ and I have ears anyway...

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
I am a little confused as to what you want these for.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

themachine posted:

Everyone I know in this industry so far uses what is called a Birdog, seen here https://www.perfect-10.tv/marketing/birdog/ .
I'm pretty sure this is what we use for aiming. I'll check with our satellite guys but you're likely going to need to buy one of these to do your work properly. It just means you need to save up from your next few jobs until you can afford that tool. Here's a site with a variety of tools so you can see that the birdog is about mid-range for expense. http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Order/Signal-Meters.htm

Edit: Yeah, we use the Birdog USB for all of our Dish Network installs. We've got an AccuTrac and some other hunk of junk but those might have been for when we did Hughesnet/WildBlue installs.

CuddleChunks fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 27, 2012

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Lord Gaga posted:

I am a little confused as to what you want these for.

I'm asking for hearing protection for workshops, the kind that amplifies ambient sound so you can talk to people without SHOUTING LIKE THISSS.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Not an Anthem posted:

I'm asking for hearing protection for workshops, the kind that amplifies ambient sound so you can talk to people without SHOUTING LIKE THISSS.

Harbor freight has the kind that cut off over a certain level. Theyre very cheap and work very well for going shooting. I can her better with them on and turned up than without them. They instantly cut out and have an approx 1 second lag time after the threshold to turn back on is met.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Not an Anthem posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-R-01526-Electronic-Earmuff/dp/B001T7QJ9O/

I like my pair. The aux audio input is pretty sweet. I've only used them with guns, so I don't know if they would work well for semi-constant noise like you would have in a shop. These go on sale for about $35 occasionally, I was disappointed to see that they are $50 now.

camino
Feb 23, 2006
I have that same pair. They work well near large Caterpillar D398's, they should be fine in your shop.

There's no amplification for the music channel though.

themachine
Jun 6, 2003

Welcome to the machine

CuddleChunks posted:

I'm pretty sure this is what we use for aiming. I'll check with our satellite guys but you're likely going to need to buy one of these to do your work properly. It just means you need to save up from your next few jobs until you can afford that tool. Here's a site with a variety of tools so you can see that the birdog is about mid-range for expense. http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Order/Signal-Meters.htm

Edit: Yeah, we use the Birdog USB for all of our Dish Network installs. We've got an AccuTrac and some other hunk of junk but those might have been for when we did Hughesnet/WildBlue installs.

I ended up getting a Birdog. I got lucky and found a guy who is tired of this work and is just selling all his stuff off super cheap to get rid of it. Got a fantastic deal on it too. Probably for the best, the Birdog is what I am already used to using and all my fellow techs use one as well so if I ever need help with it, someone will be able to lend a hand.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Just a heads up for anyone with Black and Decker power tools. I found out that if one of the batteries on my 24v Firestorm B&D set goes bad and you try and charge it, it will kill the included charger. If you buy the same charger it will kill that one too.

Make sure you buy a charger that has a bad battery detection. It's about $10 more but it will save you a lot of headache and frustration.

Rodney Chops
Jan 5, 2006
Exceedingly Narrow Minded
Has anybody used a laminate floor board cutter, instead of the usual tablesaw, midresaw combo?

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/floor-boar-laminate-cutter-with-manual-dust-free-operation-for-laminate-woo/925449

Someone was telling me about this one, swore it was the cats meow. Helping out a budy who lives a zillion miles away, in a condo. The idea behind it seems great... No dust!

Were pretty much reflooring a 950ft condo with that laminate click flooring stuff. Thoughts?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Rodney Chops posted:

Has anybody used a laminate floor board cutter, instead of the usual tablesaw, midresaw combo?
Christ, that's brilliant!
Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2MOzKjm2uA

Remulak fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 5, 2012

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Remulak posted:

I'm a bit concerned by the fact that they had to use a time-lapse during the ripping portion. Also, this probably speaks to my lack of faith in my ability, but I'd be a lot more interested in that tool if it had some sort of a fence on it.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Slugworth posted:

I'm a bit concerned by the fact that they had to use a time-lapse during the ripping portion. Also, this probably speaks to my lack of faith in my ability, but I'd be a lot more interested in that tool if it had some sort of a fence on it.

why not use a table saw its faster. And I wonder how often those blades last and how much they cost.

I know when a co worker did a couple rooms in his house he went through a couple blades with his chop saw.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

Just bought this Milwaukee 18 Volt Lithium Hammer Drill/Driver and Impact Driver Combo at HomeDepot for $229.99. I had a $50.00 gift card from Christmas so that brought it down to $179.99 and I already tested it out on some scrap lumber and concrete block and it is unstoppable. Probably went way past its rating on this, but I ran a 6 inch hole saw through a 2x8 board with no issue. Hammer function works excellent too. Drilled a 6 inch deep x 1/4 inch hole in the concrete block in a matter of 10 seconds. Will be using it at work for the next couple of days so I will report back on it, but based on reviews and my initial testing it seems to be an excellent tool already. My 3 year old DeWalt 18 volt Hammer Drill is wearing out and I wanted to get a more reliable tool. It still spins fine but the hammer function is so worn out that it takes forever to drill into any masonry. Im EXCITED for work tomorrow so I can really put it to the test!

Edit- Bad link. If it goes down again go to HomeDepot's website and copy/paste 202951723 into the search.

iForge fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 6, 2012

Iskariot
May 25, 2010

Remulak posted:

Only if you have to be very quiet or if your only other option is a handsaw. With a mitre saw and a jigsaw I can do those tasks far quicker. Little to no dust is a plus though but I usually do the messy cuts outside. Also I wonder what would happen if you took a plank of high-end laminate to such a machine. It's often HDF instead of MDF and I'm not so sure it will respond too well to what is essentially wedging the board apart.

It's an interesting approach to the manual cutters though. The ones I've seen have been a massive knife that you slam down on the board and they are next to useless on quality laminate. (In before "it's not hardwood so it can't be high-end").

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I have that same impact driver but with a regular drill. It's loving awesome and the battery life is nuts.

themachine
Jun 6, 2003

Welcome to the machine

iForge posted:

Just bought this Milwaukee 18 Volt Lithium Hammer Drill/Driver and Impact Driver Combo at HomeDepot for $229.99. I had a $50.00 gift card from Christmas so that brought it down to $179.99 and I already tested it out on some scrap lumber and concrete block and it is unstoppable. Probably went way past its rating on this, but I ran a 6 inch hole saw through a 2x8 board with no issue. Hammer function works excellent too. Drilled a 6 inch deep x 1/4 inch hole in the concrete block in a matter of 10 seconds. Will be using it at work for the next couple of days so I will report back on it, but based on reviews and my initial testing it seems to be an excellent tool already. My 3 year old DeWalt 18 volt Hammer Drill is wearing out and I wanted to get a more reliable tool. It still spins fine but the hammer function is so worn out that it takes forever to drill into any masonry. Im EXCITED for work tomorrow so I can really put it to the test!

Edit- Bad link. If it goes down again go to HomeDepot's website and copy/paste 202951723 into the search.

I have these exact same tools except that mine came in a set that also included their hackzall and a flashlight. They are awesome. Compared to my 5 year old DeWalt set, it's a night and day difference. The tools are ridiculously strong, really light, and I love how the grip is in your hands. Also, the batteries last forever even in cold, and charge really quickly as well. They are fantastic tools.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Oh, I got the Hackzall for Christmas too. It's nice in that unlike the M18 Sawzall, it does work with the compact batteries; everything I've found says the M18 Sawzall requires the full-size M18 batteries, and while I might pick some up eventually, I don't use these tools often enough to justify them now.

I haven't used it much at all yet but it does seem pretty loving sweet.

Rodney Chops
Jan 5, 2006
Exceedingly Narrow Minded

Slugworth posted:

This was exactly what I was thinking. I've been reading random reviews off the home depot site. It seems its hard to rip the boards straight, some people have complained that they break alot too.

However, might be worth a try for $80 bux. An adjustable gaurd/fench would be how I would have designed it too. Dusting up a condo isn't the goal... Will post back 1 weekend in may and let you guys know how it worked.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
So I spent the past 2 days drilling 1/4 and 1/2 inch holes in concrete, cinder block, and plaster for anchors to strap up my wire. I'm using the impact gun to run my screws in for the 1 hole straps. All I can say is that its a world of difference compared to my old DeWalt. The drill is fast and incredibly effective and the impact gun has TONS of torque. Way more powerful and MUCH lighter than my DeWalt. The only issue that I have is it only came with one belt hook for 2 tools and I've switched it back and forth a few times. I would rather have 1 hook on each tool.

All in all, the two tools are exceptional and I hope they last me a long time. I would recommend them to any goons needing a quality hammer drill/impact driver set.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

IOwnCalculus posted:

Oh, I got the Hackzall for Christmas too. It's nice in that unlike the M18 Sawzall, it does work with the compact batteries; everything I've found says the M18 Sawzall requires the full-size M18 batteries, and while I might pick some up eventually, I don't use these tools often enough to justify them now.

I haven't used it much at all yet but it does seem pretty loving sweet.

I used my m18 sawsall that I got in the northern tool set. It would last about 5 minutes or so at full tilt. I was cutting the welds on my trailer fenders.
Luckily the set came with two batteries and they don't take that long to recharge. I didn't really feel like digging out my corded sawsall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ha, five minutes on the regular capacity battery? Yeah, I can see why they don't bother letting it use the half-size one.

I do love how fast they charge. Lithium batteries are the poo poo.